WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

That new guy šŸ¤˜šŸ»

BentleyBuilt

Reaction score
Hello everyone, long time lurker first time poster.. that being said Iā€™m a proud owner of a ā€œMelā€™s Customsā€ hull.. from what Iā€™ve researched it seems itā€™s a Howard/spectra splash.. 454 Chevy power with TH400 and crusader vdrive box. The boat hasnā€™t really been touched since 1983 when it was new. It was a decent running boat all last summer but being set up as a ski boat she wonā€™t fly the nose.. due to the prop being soo far back I believe.. that being said Iā€™ve decided to revamp the whole boat this winter. Complete new interior and floor no rot just old. Iā€™ve decided to move the strut forward and get me what Iā€™ve found to be the magic number 20-25ā€ from transom to strut.. and add cav plates it has Bennett trim tabs now but not only do I not like the way they look Iā€™m not a fan of the way they performā€¦ any links to builds that have done the same I would definitely appreciate any and all insight to this project.. unfortunately I canā€™t flip the boat over so I plan to do the work on the trailer or figure out a way to get it up and off the trailer but really no way to flip it.
Thanks in advance Richard 10637F75-7623-438E-ACB4-1245719B90D0.jpeg 27DC11BE-17DD-40D0-B257-3FC028CC7D90.jpeg 9FDC5834-561F-48D7-87AE-44B952543CAA.jpeg AF122DEB-C6EA-40CA-8ED0-81FBE3AFCAF1.jpeg 616CA6D2-3ECF-426E-B83F-7BDB415B2928.jpeg

Attachments

• 2D719B21-3084-47A5-A651-4755FD208C91.jpeg
    2D719B21-3084-47A5-A651-4755FD208C91.jpeg
    865.2 KB · Views: 84

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Maybe get some adjustments installed and some real plates before you start moving things?

Sounds like you're going to do that anyway, yes? You might wanna make this your first step and then see what happens.

Welcome!

BentleyBuilt

Reaction score
Maybe get some adjustments installed and some real plates before you start moving things?

Sounds like you're going to do that anyway, yes? You might wanna make this your first step and then see what happens.

Welcome!
From the research Iā€™ve done and a few old timers that rigged these boats back in the day said itā€™s definitely set up for skiing hence the strut being so far back. Even took the boat to eddies inboard here in town and said the prop being so far back is causing the transom lift and the plates wonā€™t even help until the prop is moved forward so unfortunately I think thatā€™s my main issue and since the engine/trans are coming out there wouldnā€™t be a better time to do it from what I can tell.. I know a lot of guys have had similar issues and you can throw all the hp you want at it and unfortunately it will bury the nose make it bow steer and get super sketchy again mostly from what Iā€™ve read and been told so far.. I was hoping more hp/better prop and plates would do the trick but everyone says thatā€™s just not enough if I actually want to run over 55+ mph and be semi safe and comfortable with it šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø

welldigger00

Reaction score
prepare for the snow ball effect. Youā€™ll be completely re rigging the boat by the time youā€™re donešŸ˜‰

Reactions: DWC

BentleyBuilt

Reaction score
prepare for the snow ball effect. Youā€™ll be completely re rigging the boat by the time youā€™re donešŸ˜‰
True that I knew it was most likely the case. And Iā€™m ok with that I just want to make sure if Iā€™m doing it I want to do it right and do it once lol Iā€™ve had a handful of jets this is my first vdrive and honestly Iā€™ll never go back.. Iā€™m not looking to run triple digits but if and when the day comes in the future I want to know it will handle it if I decide to if that makes sense lol šŸ˜†

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Hi Richard, I have a Spectra that We did everything you are talking about, "New to Spectra Marine" is the title on the thread and I captured quite a bit of the build. Before you do all this, what power are you looking at, because unless you are looking at 800hp or better I don't think you will see that much of a noticeable change with the strut movement. Are you local to SO Cal? the reason I ask is maybe we get together and you can ride in my boat and my buddies Spectra 20 Vdrive that is the stock set up and see if you notice enough change to chase this upgrade.

Attachments

• blast plate 2jpg.jpg
    blast plate 2jpg.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 39
  • blast plate 4.jpg
    blast plate 4.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 34
  • blast plate 5pg.jpg
    blast plate 5pg.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 36
  • original bottom.jpg
    original bottom.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 36
  • strut 3.jpg
    strut 3.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 36

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I have a pretty good drone shot of the Spectra running so you can see the nose at cruising speeds, it's in you tube "74 Spectra 20 V Drive Marine Stadium" Here are some pics as well. I run a 496 BBC - forged rotating assembly ,10:1 race tec pistons old school Weiand tunnel ram, 049 heads big valves and Dana exhaust. Nothing crazy might be in the mid to high 500 hp. We extended the inside lap strakes as well, the boat does turn well.

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 44

BentleyBuilt

Reaction score
I have a pretty good drone shot of the Spectra running so you can see the nose at cruising speeds, it's in you tube "74 Spectra 20 V Drive Marine Stadium" Here are some pics as well. I run a 496 BBC - forged rotating assembly ,10:1 race tec pistons old school Weiand tunnel ram, 049 heads big valves and Dana exhaust. Nothing crazy might be in the mid to high 500 hp. We extended the inside lap strakes as well, the boat does turn well.
Thanks for the info Iā€™ve definitely seen a few of your photos from moving your strut on google images and have to admit thatā€™s part of what brought me to this site! I didnā€™t know how to search your post till now.. again thank you for the direction Iā€™m looking forward to looking over your build. As for HP Iā€™m thinking Iā€™ll be somewhere in the same area of hp or at least I hope. I was trying to be realistic thinking Iā€™d be in the 450-500 or so range. As much as I would love 800+ I donā€™t think itā€™s in the budget just yet but it will be in the future for sure part of the reason Iā€™d like to do the work now and when the day comes I can make 800+ it will be ready for it to handle that kinda power and be happy.. is there more specs on your engine build? Sounds similar to what Iā€™m shooting for I already have a couple sets of 049 heads and heard they flow really well with some decent work and bigger valves. I was hoping I could make decent power and try to stay in the 9:5.1 compression area but the more I look into it I might have to push closer to 10:1ā€¦ are you still on pump gas with that? I think my biggest problem at the moment is having a crusader vdrive unit itā€™s only 1:15 ratio I know a casale would help a lot with overdriving the gears and such but being my first vdrive Iā€™m doing my best to learn what I can from you fellas that have found combos that work..
Iā€™ve been told there is a company in Phoenix Az that might be able to make
Me some gears since itā€™s similar to a champion vdrive unit.
Again thank you very much Iā€™m gonna go try and find that YouTube video of your boat as we speak šŸ¤˜šŸ» 61A05C66-BE72-49B4-BD36-CA733FAF9E00.jpeg 896B1840-8E73-4A0E-A6F5-7335807F1A20.jpeg 0DCA07E4-AA9D-4964-A1D7-18B1E99BCFD2.jpeg 3D59D2A3-A1AC-49E9-B462-883367BC1C71.jpeg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Your comments are like deja vu as I went thru the same things you are talking about. I have a C500 with 29 gears that I will just keep under my bench until I have the power to use those gears. Your gear box is solid and I believe that Nicson copied that crusader box, to build the Champion box which was in most of the Spectra's. Many of the Spectra's were set up with a 1:04 box ( I have one of those too) my buddy runs that box with no issues, I have a champion with a .10 gear in it. The Crusader and Champion boxes are super quiet boxes and again unless you have big power you really wont feel much difference as these are heavy boats. My family boat as a kid was a 69' Sanger it has a Crusader box with 15's and we ran the hell out of that thing pulling skiers all day long all week, we were burning 40 plus gallons a day and the boat has a Boss 429 in it, never gave that gear box a thought bottom end or top end. Feel free to give me a call and we can BS about the boat. Cliff 562-879-9508

BentleyBuilt

Reaction score
Your comments are like deja vu as I went thru the same things you are talking about. I have a C500 with 29 gears that I will just keep under my bench until I have the power to use those gears. Your gear box is solid and I believe that Nicson copied that crusader box, to build the Champion box which was in most of the Spectra's. Many of the Spectra's were set up with a 1:04 box ( I have one of those too) my buddy runs that box with no issues, I have a champion with a .10 gear in it. The Crusader and Champion boxes are super quiet boxes and again unless you have big power you really wont feel much difference as these are heavy boats. My family boat as a kid was a 69' Sanger it has a Crusader box with 15's and we ran the hell out of that thing pulling skiers all day long all week, we were burning 40 plus gallons a day and the boat has a Boss 429 in it, never gave that gear box a thought bottom end or top end. Feel free to give me a call and we can BS about the boat. Cliff 562-879-9508
Sounds good man thanks for the info.. I know I wonā€™t be making huge numbers but I can tell the boat wants to go faster lol I figure doing all this work now and when Iā€™m ready to run blower power she will already be set up for it. I figure moving the strut and installing better cav plates a good prop and 500+ has to make a little bit of difference.. Iā€™m not looking for lake blistering speeds anyhow.. šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø Maybe I can give you a call after the holidays are over and shoot the shit about it.. thanks again Richard