WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

THE 2019 STOCK MARKET THREAD...and TCHB’s golf game

TCHB

Reaction score
Today I was not golfing due to the wind and look what happened. I am golfing the next couple days.
I did get the Hondas lower unit oil changed. They take a quart and half each.

Halvecto

Reaction score
Posted this in another thread. I updated the spreadsheet to include current day's change.

Some of you like this kind of analytics stuff. Here is a link to a quick spreadsheet I created. You can input your stock, ETF or Mutual Fund symbol (upper left: cell B3) and get some recent results:

Check Yourself: How is my stock doing lately?

• The rest of the spreadsheet is locked, but will be updating live (when US stock market is open).
  • Performance is price change only. No dividends are included.
  • If a mutual fund symbol, keep in mind that many of them paid cap gains distributions in Q4, which is not reflected in this performance.
Feel free to check your symbols and try others.​

Last edited:

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Tony: you better grab the clubs. The Dow started off slightly down this morning.

nowski

Reaction score
Had a good day of golf. Market up I think.

When the market is all over the place like today does your scorecard reflect the same???

Six par's, 3 birdies and the rest bogies, this would be a good market day for me. A bad market day erase the first two in the last sentence...

Halvecto

Reaction score
What is the take on GE stock

My $0.02

Hard to argue for currently investing in GE because of it's quality, balance-sheet strength, earnings, etc. It has already bounced 20%+ from it's low. Having cut it's dividend to $0.01 per quarter, it's no longer a "yield" play. Considering the other "Blue-Chips" available, it would garner just a small position.

If just looking at DJIA stocks; for example, IBM just announced a great quarter of earnings with solid outlook; still yields north of 4.5%. XOM, monster-size company, it does come with oil volatility; but also yielding north of 4%. Even CSCO is a solid, innovative company with a yield that I would rather own. This doesn't mean I am out buying these up, just showing the various options and landscape.

Myself included, many times we want to find that big turn-around story with a stock that has dropped precipitously and will turn and go back up there. A company like GE has been vetted, researched, etc. six ways from Sunday. It is likely past it's prime. If it can adeptly navigate divesting assets to right-size their revenues, it could continue it's long history of quality.

In reality, it's usually more advantageous to be looking at quality stocks at or near their highs and asking why are they there and is their future increasingly positive. Next question is; what is the macro state of the markets/economy. Tides matter .

There are tens-of-thousands of eyeballs on GE. It's no secret, missed gem.

Last edited:

nowski

Reaction score
PG&E off the hook watch it run...

TCHB

Reaction score
When the market is all over the place like today does your scorecard reflect the same???

Six par's, 3 birdies and the rest bogies, this would be a good market day for me. A bad market day erase the first two in the last sentence...
We just got back from a afternoon of golfing. My scorecard is all over the place!! We played with guy from Canada was very good. He could drive straight 275 yards and second hit was on the green. Nice day out.

TCHB

Reaction score
C2C00018-234C-43C4-B297-1AB0A2A6169D.jpeg
Nice day of golf!

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
We were able to get in on a bunch of AAPL (Apple) for $140 a share so I'm pretty happy about that.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
We were able to get in on a bunch of AAPL (Apple) for $140 a share so I'm pretty happy about that.
Bought my wife a new Apple Watch for her birthday. 530 bucks

nowski

Reaction score
Open up an online account with companies like E-Trade or TD Ameritrade, or sign up with a stock broker...

GRADS

Reaction score
How did you manage that? $AAPL hasnt seen that low since ~4/17.
Employee discount. Every 6 months we get to buy in at 15% below market value.

Last edited:

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
How does someone buy a stock?

I use TDAmeritrade. Fidelity, E-trade, Charles Schwab, Vanguard, etc are other online brokerages. TD, Fidelity, and Schwab for sure have physical offices across the country as well (which can come in handy. Those are all easy to open and fund a account; with trading also very easy. Another option is direct with a Company via a DRIP (Dividend Reinvestment Program). Many companies use Computershare (www.computershare.com) to manage it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Employee discount. Every 6 months we get to buy in at 15% below market value.

For those that don't know, it's formally called ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Plan). The discount is typically 15% (could be different at some companies) below lessor market value at beginning or end 6-month period (for my company that is 1/1/xx or 6/30/xx; or nearest public trading date, but not before or after those respective dates). You have to lock in your contribution % or $ per pay check before each 6-month period. Our last ESPP purchase was at $161, with closing price now at $235. So, even if you sold the ESPP shares on the purchase date, you'll always get 15% return (in theory, provide you could sell at instant the shares were purchased), minus the tax hit.

GRADS

Reaction score
For those that don't know, it's formally called ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Plan). The discount is typically 15% (could be different at some companies) below lessor market value at beginning or end 6-month period (for my company that is 1/1/xx or 6/30/xx; or nearest public trading date, but not before or after those respective dates). You have to lock in your contribution % or $ per pay check before each 6-month period. Our last ESPP purchase was at $161, with closing price now at $235. So, even if you sold the ESPP shares on the purchase date, you'll always get 15% return (in theory, provide you could sell at instant the shares were purchased), minus the tax hit.
this

TCHB

Reaction score
No golf today. Disneyland with granddaughter!!!!!!!

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Kind of a mixed bag today. Most moves (both + & - ) were fairly small but I did take a pretty good little hit on my Ford stock. It's not that I didn't expect some profit taking after the nice run up over the last few weeks but losing .24 a share kind of wiped out all the gains that Ford has made recently.

TCHB

Reaction score
No golf the last couple of days. Been busy with other things and now back to Glamis.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
No golf the last couple of days. Been busy with other things and now back to Glamis.
Well that explains it, you're falling down on the job. Now get out there and wack a bucket of balls.

TCHB

Reaction score
3D8975EC-81EB-4F67-B345-FAB86241EA58.jpeg
B7EA802C-79C4-4F94-8E2F-C39C64C94261.jpeg
Another Month almost gone.

TCHB

Reaction score
When you play golf with the high school team is much more entertaining. The girl drives it about 210 yards and the boy hits about 260 with his 3 wood.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
When you play golf with the high school team is much more entertaining. The girl drives it about 210 yards and the boy hits about 260 with his 3 wood.

We should probably chip in for your greens fees to keep you on the course!

TCHB

Reaction score
Off to the golf coarse for a late round of golf.

TCHB

Reaction score
No golf today. How we doing??

ridebig

Reaction score
I would love to hook up and play a round of golf sometime! Enjoy the pics and seeing the course really makes me want to be there.

TCHB

Reaction score
I would love to hook up and play a round of golf sometime! Enjoy the pics and seeing the course really makes me want to be there.
The nice thing about golf here is that all the golf courses empty out for the summer. Yes we have our courses back with zero crowds.
This year has been really crowded. Lake Havasu Golf Club. Tee time this afternoon!!!!

Sorry guys I can not help the stock market.

TCHB

Reaction score
Golfed early again this morning. 0700 tee time and we were 5 groups back.
Looks like the market had a good day. Yes

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
Course looks to be in wonderful shape. Better than the shit I've played the last 3 weekends here in SoCal (Willowick in Santa Ana).

TCHB

Reaction score
Getting better everyday. No golf today because of rain here in Havasu.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Yes Snow Birds are gone and pace of play just got a whole faster.
They were going out of here by the droves this morning. 95 North was chucker blocked full of them while I was going South at 9AM.