WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The 21' and under 70+ mph Boat pic thread

DUN

Reaction score
different from the rest. It was always at the races so I paid attention to it but not real close as I was young. I might have some 8mm with the witch in it. someday I need to break out the projector and take a look.

It looks like something Nick Barron and Sanger analyzed while building their hydros. Though my timeline might way screwed up... don't know who built what first but pretty sure this was earlier than all of em.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
There were a couple of 100 mph outboards. Here's one of em.

Ken Baker and his Ron Jones outboard drag hydro
Would you believe 100.55 mph in the quarter mile? On gasoline? Believe it!
foley_kenbaker_100.jpg

It looks like something Nick Barron and Sanger analyzed while building their hydros. Though my timeline might way screwed up... don't know who built what first but pretty sure this was earlier than all of em.
Harlin Orin would know. I don't remember his screen name or I'd tag him.

Hallett was state of the art then and the record holder

Banzai
Barry McCown Blown fuel Hallet hydro hull. Made many passes over 150 mph.
Set the NDBA record at 161 and change. Engine builder - Bobby Sykes, Sr. worked for Keith Black & built the engines for Banzai.

foley_banzai-add.jpg
foley_banzai (1).jpg

Clank123 in Banzai three years ago or so.

798A666B-FC99-4D61-8712-DCB47F638D71 - Edited.jpg

DUN

Reaction score
That is a badass fishing boat holy shit.

I've been around Banzai and Steve towed me back to the beach in his Howard once lmao. Banzai was the first thing I thought of when seeing The Witch's transom. Though Banzai is all wood, the witch is glass?(my timeline is fubar)

Cool history Wheeler Ray

Clank123

Reaction score
There were a couple of 100 mph outboards. Here's one of em.

Ken Baker and his Ron Jones outboard drag hydro
Would you believe 100.55 mph in the quarter mile? On gasoline? Believe it!
View attachment 1237305

Harlin Orin would know. I don't remember his screen name or I'd tag him.

Hallett was state of the art then and the record holder

Banzai
Barry McCown Blown fuel Hallet hydro hull. Made many passes over 150 mph.
Set the NDBA record at 161 and change. Engine builder - Bobby Sykes, Sr. worked for Keith Black & built the engines for Banzai.

View attachment 1237302 View attachment 1237303

Clank123 in Banzai three years ago or so.

View attachment 1237306
The above pictures of the Banzai were when just like the NHRA, Nitro was banned for about a year.
Keith Black wanted to try the “new” Hilborn 4 hole injector.
Boat ran well on gas.
Set the record in the high 130’s.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
That is a badass fishing boat holy shit.

I've been around Banzai and Steve towed me back to the beach in his Howard once lmao. Banzai was the first thing I thought of when seeing The Witch's transom. Though Banzai is all wood, the witch is glass?(my timeline is fubar)

Cool history Wheeler Ray
These photos were shot by Bob Foley in 1965 which is evident by this photo with the Mustang in it. I was there that day as I recall the VW in the photos. A bunch of bikers showed up that day and left in a hurry as they piled into it. one of the shitters was pushed over by a couple of guys while their friend was in it, face down! Such good times to be young. I was eight years of age.

@twocents might have been there this day or might remember the day that Ted Phillips (mixed emotions threw the NDBA official
foley_el_tigre2-add - Edited.jpg
foley_mixedemotions.jpg
foley_el_tigre2-add - Edited (1).jpg
into the water while earning a year long banning from racing.

Clank123

Reaction score
Damn 130 out of an iron head twin carb setup?

Sounds super healthy
Different era.
Unlike today the boats didn’t start from an idle at the hold rope.
When you got the solid amber you would acknowledge your competitor and fire in gear. Who ever moved first had to wait for the other boat.
Once you both were on plane you entered the “commitment area” and you had to pair with your competitor at that time. If the officials thought you were “charging the lights” they would flash the amber light in your lane. You needed to slow your boat down and even up. Most guys would back off the throttle. I was taught to bury the down pedal a little more. Usually as long as you made a visible move they’d let you go. As soon as they deemed you paired, you could get the green at any time.
Point is you were running 20 to 30mph when you started your run and it was a full quarter mile. Also you could have 20 feet to the beam or 70 feet to it.
I remember running 29’s, 35’s and sometimes 38’s in that boat(I was the v-drive gear changer).
72-7600 with those gears(depending on prop choice) puts the boat in that 128-134mph range.
And don’t forget it was a “Dandy” Dick Landy Dodge. As were the Black Rushin and Hot Damn Hondo.

Clank123

Reaction score
Dave, check out the twin plug unblown set up on Black Rushin. Mike Stevens drove it to low 130's in '74. I'm not sure why I'm telling you this as you obviously already know these things. Rand Tambert photos.

View attachment 1237912
When Stevens started he had a single plug Dodge in a Sanger bubble deck. He set the Unblown Gas record with it.
I am sure Hondo made him an offer he couldn’t refuse. Once he made the switch he was nearly unbeatable.

E00B674F-7E63-49DC-952C-9F2FC58A7693.jpeg

Ted Faggart in the “SuperStar” in the far lane. Hardest running Chevy of the time built by Ken’s Automotive.
EC5903CC-85E0-45B7-BB0D-9F0F3DA0BC5B.jpeg

The Black Rushin “Hondo” getting the win over my Dad in the Magic Dragon.

39AC3BB4-167C-4EA9-B589-1F5A36BBF08F.jpeg

76 Hondo

76 Hondo
Reaction score
These photos were shot by Bob Foley in 1965 which is evident by this photo with the Mustang in it. I was there that day as I recall the VW in the photos. A bunch of bikers showed up that day and left in a hurry as they piled into it. one of the shitters was pushed over by a couple of guys while their friend was in it, face down! Such good times to be young. I was eight years of age.

@twocents might have been there this day or might remember the day that Ted Phillips (mixed emotions threw the NDBA official View attachment 1237761 View attachment 1237763 View attachment 1237765 into the water while earning a year long banning from racing.
El Tigre, was driven by my auto shop teacher I believe, what a prick!

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Dave, check out the twin plug unblown set up on Black Rushin. Mike Stevens drove it to low 130's in '74. I'm not sure why I'm telling you this as you obviously already know these things. Rand Tambert photos.

View attachment 1237912 View attachment 1237913

@Sharp Shooter @Clank123

Those Hemi headers are very close to the hull in those Hondos huh? Im pretty sure my boat was clearance or got real hot a time or two! There is funny divot inside the gunnel on the drivers side.

Clank123

Reaction score
@Sharp Shooter @Clank123

Those Hemi headers are very close to the hull in those Hondos huh? Im pretty sure my boat was clearance or got real hot a time or two! There is funny divot inside the gunnel on the drivers side.
Hondos are pretty tight with BBC headers as well. They are a lot narrower than any boat that isn’t a splash of a Hondo, of which almost all runner bottoms are.
Then ya go a stick an elephant hemi in one!🤦🏻‍♂️😂

sintax

Reaction score
Different era.
Unlike today the boats didn’t start from an idle at the hold rope.
When you got the solid amber you would acknowledge your competitor and fire in gear. Who ever moved first had to wait for the other boat.
Once you both were on plane you entered the “commitment area” and you had to pair with your competitor at that time. If the officials thought you were “charging the lights” they would flash the amber light in your lane. You needed to slow your boat down and even up. Most guys would back off the throttle. I was taught to bury the down pedal a little more. Usually as long as you made a visible move they’d let you go. As soon as they deemed you paired, you could get the green at any time.
Point is you were running 20 to 30mph when you started your run and it was a full quarter mile. Also you could have 20 feet to the beam or 70 feet to it.
I remember running 29’s, 35’s and sometimes 38’s in that boat(I was the v-drive gear changer).
72-7600 with those gears(depending on prop choice) puts the boat in that 128-134mph range.
And don’t forget it was a “Dandy” Dick Landy Dodge. As were the Black Rushin and Hot Damn Hondo.

woah thats a totally different game, i had no clue (born in the 80's) things were like that earlier. Your boat setup could be drastically different if you didnt have to focus on getting out of the hole.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
yea, I think it was.

If so, it was laid up by Ray up in Oregon, same dude who built my Rayson

Ray De Fir would be his name. He was a great boat builder among other things.

The 1st time I saw the Big trouble boat is was owned by Jersey John I think and he had it at a Burley Race maybe late 90’s. His PS that Duff drove was same color.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
yea, i didnt recognize the hull

its a sleek looking boat though, not sure why they pulled it up on the beach there to have a few beers and just left it

It went up on it’s side at firebird and that parking job was the result.