WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The AQMD wants my car

U4ia

Reaction score
Got a letter from the AQMD, they want to test my car for emissions compliance. They will have it for 2 to 3 weeks, give me a free rental and pay me $500. They will also pick up and drop off at my house, return my car washed and with a full tank of gas. This is to monitor the long term performance of emissions systems to see if they are up to snuff after 5 years. The car is 2008 smart.

OGShocker

Lion Hunter
Reaction score
Got a letter from the AQMD, they want to test my car for emissions compliance. They will have it for 2 to 3 weeks, give me a free rental and pay me $500. They will also pick up and drop off at my house, return my car washed and with a full tank of gas. This is to monitor the long term performance of emissions systems to see if they are up to snuff after 5 years. The car is 2008 smart.

FUCK THE STATE!!!:grumble:

PVHCA

Reaction score

My buddy Dominic that I play golf with works at the company that does AQMD's testing here in the Rancho Cuc area. He says they baby all loaner cars.

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score

they want it for 2-3 weeks?

:p

ferris.jpg

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I would do it.
Those Smart cars are tough.

My car prep vendor drives on everyday.
It was a shoot car that was:
- rolled onto it's side
- submerged underwater (freshwater) for 2 days
...they replaced the side glass, dried everything out, replaced the fluids and the damned car runs like a top :thumbsup

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
only if the loaner is this:

Aston-Martin-Centenary-Edition-Vanquish.jpg

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
It was a shoot car that was:
- rolled onto it's side
- submerged underwater (freshwater) for 2 days
...they replaced the side glass, dried everything out, replaced the fluids and the damned car runs like a top :thumbsup
Carfax said it was clean :D

U4ia

Reaction score
We like the smart, it is exactly what we expected it to be: easy to drive and park, cheap to run and fun to drive with the top down. And since I value the savings in my wallet more that the opinions of strangers the size and looks are not a problem at all. Is it a "Gay" car? Well, from the front it sure looks like it has a big smile.....

Dettom

Reaction score

Don't do it. I wouldn't pee on their teeth if they were on fire. They'll find a way to fuck you. Next thing you know, some guy dressed up as an SS officer will be asking your for your "papers". There is no agency in this state who have your interests at heart. I would only do it if they would agree to let me determine if their performance was "up to snuff" after 5 years.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Wasn't "Cash for Clunkers" supposed to cure all smog issues and cure the shitty economy?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Friend had that too.
They discovered a cracked intake manifold and a few other issues and fixed it free,, and gave him some money too.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Friend had that too.
They discovered a cracked intake manifold and a few other issues and fixed it free,, and gave him some money too.

Brutal sig video!!! Yowwwch!!

PVHCA

Reaction score
Don't do it. I wouldn't pee on their teeth if they were on fire. They'll find a way to fuck you. Next thing you know, some guy dressed up as an SS officer will be asking your for your "papers". There is no agency in this state who have your interests at heart. I would only do it if they would agree to let me determine if their performance was "up to snuff" after 5 years.

As I stated my friend does this work in this area, he says they repair customers car free all the time and usually return the car 10x better than when they receive it.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Wasn't "Cash for Clunkers" supposed to cure all smog issues and cure the shitty economy?

Yes, just like the lottery was supposed to cure public education's financial woes :rolleyes

Faceaz

Reaction score

Do it, it's not a scam.

Not true. I did this as a summer job in college. It's purely to see if the manufacturers are in compliance, has nothing to do with the owner of the car. For example (at the time), manufacturers must install Catalytic Converters that will last at least 100k miles. At the time, GM would regularly fail, ford would do OK & the Jap cars would all be good to 250k plus miles. If AQMD gets a model of car & they are consistently not meeting the requirement, the state will increase it's sample size & start building a case to make the manufacturer remedy the problem. At the time, if some cars weren't meeting the specification, they would even give the car a tune-up to see if it would then pass - not sure if this holds true anymore. You'll get a rental car, check for 500 bucks, car back clean with a full tank of gas - really nothing to lose.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Isn't AQMD simply a profit center? They have no way of generating revenue other than the laws they create and then enforce?

I could be wrong but it was either AQMD or CARB, not sure which one.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Fuck them just on principle, they'll be after your boat next :D

AQMD's Sources of Revenue

To meet its financial need, the AQMD utilizes a system of evaluation fees, annual operating fees, emission fees, Hearing Board fees, penalties/ settlements and investments that generate approximately 73% of AQMD?s revenue. The remaining 27% of its revenue is from federal grants, California Air Resources (CARB) subvention funds, and California Clean Air Act Motor Vehicle fees.

U4ia

Reaction score
Fuck them just on principle, they'll be after your boat next.

If they want to test my boat for 3 weeks, give me a new one to use, wash and clean mine and return it with 100 gallons of gas in it, plus pay me $500 I won't put up much of a fight.....