WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The big trucks thread.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
So I have been pretty quiet on this subject as I've been figuring it out but I think im at a point now where I can share.

As some of you know I put a 6 inch lift on my Excursion a little over 2 years ago and shortly there after, I came across a young kid parting his farm truck out and I snagged up everything I needed to do a 4wd conversion on old Gertrude.

Little did I know what a can of worms I had opened by deciding to do this. I had opted to go 4 wheel leaf when did the axle swap and ordered all the 6" lift components to go with the new front end going under the truck. Well due to some funny measuring going on at procomp, my front end ended up being about 2.5" taller than the back of the truck. It was stupid, but I wasn't about to take off the front end I had just installed, it was a bitch and a half. Theres alot more than you would expect to this simple "conversion" especially when going from coil over track beams to a leafed solid axle.. I ended up buying the components I needed to pick up the back end of the truck to meet the front.

I was truly happy running 35s on my stock 16" 5spoke superduty wheels. But my 6" lift had turned into an 8" lift and now the truck looked like it had missed leg day. Sadly 35s are the biggest tires you can get for a 16 so not only did I need new bigger 37 inch tires, I also needed new wheels. Well damn. I bought a set of new Icon 17" wheels and some 37s to go on them. At this time, I also rebuilt the front end: new ball joints, new hub bearing assemblies, a new dual shock steering stabilizer, new ujoints even.

All was good for a bit, but then I finally got around to installing my rooftop tent and canopy. After the install the truck had become very road crazy. It would dig into turns, lean horribly, couldn't drive a straight line above 40 to save my life. And I had it realigned twice after the initial alignment to no avail.

Well I was dealing with it, making small changes trying to get it driving better. THEN MY BRAND NEW LEFT REAR WHEEL AND TIRE FELL OFF THE THE TRUCK with less than 1,000 miles on it and I damn near rolled the truck wrestling it to a stop on the side of the road with only 3 wheels on it. Somehow miraculously it didn't damage anything save for the wheel and tire and it was all mostly superficial. How my quarter panel didn't get destroyed, I dont know. After some polite wrestling I bought a new wheel and the tire shop provided me with a new 37" tire for free, mounted and balanced and I now have a full size 37" matching spare. A pretty fair turn out after something that could have been very bad. I put the wheel on the truck myself this time and I made a point to torque all 64 lug nuts and with red lock tite too. No fucking chances this time around.

My truck was still driving a little crazy though. Well the drag links are off of an old farm truck with God knows how many miles romping through the mud on them, so I bought a MOOG problem solver front end kit, absolutely everything between the knuckles and up to the pitman arm got replaced with new heavier duty components. Well while I was down there, I couldn't help but feel like something was missing.

As it turns out, the tire shop when they first installed my wheels and tires and did the initial alignment REMOVED MY TRACK BAR because "it was messing with the alignment" and "a leaf spring truck doesn't need one"

Ya there was some disagreement there as I was trying to describe to them the road craziness as well as the roll over sensation I have been fighting ever since they touched it. Fortunately I still had the one that came with my front end initially and I installed a track bar on the truck AGAIN.

I've been driving it for close to 2 weeks now with its current setup. And it feel much safer. I'm slowly beginning to trust the truck again but every time the weight shifts in a turn im still holding my breath because I dont fully trust it again yet. People keep telling me the problem is between my ears and they may be right, because my legitimate fear of a roll over is still somewhere there after the near miss I had just before Thanksgiving.

So to help build my trust further im doing some more upgrades to the suspension. (Dont worry, I'm not going taller!) I currently have a dual front shock setup on order for the front end as well as some add-a-leafs for the rear to help with the extra weight of the rack, tent, canopy, and full size spare that now sit over the rear axle. I estimate in the neighborhood of about 300 lbs. Almost all of that sitting on top of the truck adding to my fear of a roll over. And I still need to do the transmission swap.

If I had to do it all over again.....

20160206_180632.jpg
20180825_081114.jpg
20190102_172240.jpg
20190202_210817.jpg
20190202_210732.jpg
20190204_114513.jpg
20190204_142933.jpg
20200619_213813.jpg
20201108_102433.jpg
20201002_185903.jpg
20201018_162129.jpg
20201018_162211.jpg
20201018_162351.jpg
20201031_123301.jpg
20201123_082253.jpg
20201210_201227.jpg
20201215_113710.jpg
20201215_113654.jpg
20201031_183818.jpg
20201101_164102.jpg
20201101_164307.jpg

Last edited:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Track bar delete? Jeezus...

Make sure your dual shocks up front are designed for it, otherwise you’ll lose a kidney and some fillings because the ride will be crazy stiff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

USMC2010

Reaction score
That is way better than a no. Here is my pickup and my gf's son's. He has not as I have told him to do so, the pic is a good self explanation. I highly doubt most do or even think about it.
IMG_20210123_100754.jpg

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Hadn't even crossed my mind. Thats a straight up Doh! Moment. Under $300 for front and rear too

Universal Elements

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Excursion with dual shocks upfront and a 4 in h lift. I’m going to get a front end off a 2005 F250 4x4 and get rid of the leaf springs (now) up front and go to coils.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Excursion with dual shocks upfront and a 4 in h lift. I’m going to get a front end off a 2005 F250 4x4 and get rid of the leaf springs (now) up front and go to coils.

I have the upper spring seats and 6" coil overs off my 2wd front end. Not sure if they're the same but I believe they are if you wanted to keep your existing axle.

Cole Canadian

Reaction score
Did a 6in lift on my sons F350 4x4, was not an all wheel steer like yours buy he had borrowed some 37's to try on it to see if he lied them and had pretty much the same results.
We pissed around with several fixes ( heavier shocks, steering dampeners, ect.) when It just happened that I was laying under the truck and noticed that when he was moving the steering back and forth... the steering box was flexing the frame ( because of longer pitman arm or wider tires?) . We put the original tires back on and it didn't seem as hard to control but looked goofy.
End of the story is that he traded the 6in for a 4in lift and kept his original 35's and the heavier suspension parts and called it a day.
Hope this is not part of your issue, but might be worth your time to have a look at it.

DEEZNUTS

Reaction score

Full traction makes a nice kit to coil over, without replacing the front axle. Its pricey but there are some shock options that can keep it reasonable.

Taboma

Reaction score
That's a lot of uni-strut on your roof, did you use fiberglass or aluminum, to keep it lighter, or steel strut ?

Mototrig

Reaction score
Any thoughts on upgrading the front and rear sway bars maybe some oversized ones from hellwig etc..??
FWIW I have upgraded oversized front and rear sway bars (came with the truck from previous owner). 37's 8" lift and the truck doesn't lean. Makes for a stiffer ride but when towing my toy hauler the truck is very stable.

EDIT: Same truck family as OP 2002 f250

Last edited:

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
That's a lot of uni-strut on your roof, did you use fiberglass or aluminum, to keep it lighter, or steel strut ?

Its steel
After hearing this, I believe that you are ready for a vdrive boat. This is exactly the snowball effect that vdrive boating will put you through.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Funny you should mention that..... I got overwhelmed by the snowball and put it into mothballs a few years ago about 75% complete. Ive recently been floating it out there to see if anybody wants to be her new caretaker.
20180603_154700.jpg

Your ad here

Reaction score
I did this to my 02 F250. 2wd to 4wd swap. Exact same thing as the front frame sections are the same. Anyways you need the track bar. I drove a truck with a loose track bar mount and it drove like you described. Tightened the bolts on the mount and all the sway went away. So you need a track bar.
Procomp had their measurements correct. A 6" 2wd lift kit is equivalent to a 4" lift kit for a 4wd. That makes up that 2.5" difference you saw. Are you running wheel spacers? 64 lug nuts? I torque all 32 of mine to 160 ft.lbs.
I have 45K miles on my 4wd swap. Used a front end off a 04 F350. Rebuilt it as well and no problems. Everything was bolt in. Only had to cut the rivets that hold the coil buckets on. I am still running a 2wd transmission. I'm not running a steering stabilizer as those are really just a bandaid fix to a more serious problem and using basic KYB shocks. I've had the truck up to 95 mph and drives just fine, with good tires. The nittos shook like crazy.
I would be running the track bar, checking tire psi (55 psi front, 65 psi rear on E's), rethink the 300lbs. on the roof. If you like the look of 35's drop it to a 4wd 4" lift kit.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Yes, running 1.5" billet aluminum hubcentric adapters. Been running adapters for years on just about everything I own with no issues whatsoever until the wheel fell off. I can't say if it was the cause or not because I'm not the one who put the wheels on initially, but I feel like they were not the culprit in this situation. Not to say I haven't checked all the lug nuts about 3 times since putting the 5th wheel on. I'm torqued to 150ftlbs and running 65psi all the way around on D load 37s.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
You want to get the track bar as close to the same angle as as the drag link for the steering. Hopefully the one you put on has a bit of adjustment to it in length so it's not constantly pulling your front axle to one side. You may not feel as much bump steer on a leaf sprung truck but I'd imagine whatever is there will be highlighted with that lift if those angles are off.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
So I have been pretty quiet on this subject as I've been figuring it out but I think im at a point now where I can share.

As some of you know I put a 6 inch lift on my Excursion a little over 2 years ago and shortly there after, I came across a young kid parting his farm truck out and I snagged up everything I needed to do a 4wd conversion on old Gertrude.

Little did I know what a can of worms I had opened by deciding to do this. I had opted to go 4 wheel leaf when did the axle swap and ordered all the 6" lift components to go with the new front end going under the truck. Well due to some funny measuring going on at procomp, my front end ended up being about 2.5" taller than the back of the truck. It was stupid, but I wasn't about to take off the front end I had just installed, it was a bitch and a half. Theres alot more than you would expect to this simple "conversion" especially when going from coil over track beams to a leafed solid axle.. I ended up buying the components I needed to pick up the back end of the truck to meet the front.

I was truly happy running 35s on my stock 16" 5spoke superduty wheels. But my 6" lift had turned into an 8" lift and now the truck looked like it had missed leg day. Sadly 35s are the biggest tires you can get for a 16 so not only did I need new bigger 37 inch tires, I also needed new wheels. Well damn. I bought a set of new Icon 17" wheels and some 37s to go on them. At this time, I also rebuilt the front end: new ball joints, new hub bearing assemblies, a new dual shock steering stabilizer, new ujoints even.

All was good for a bit, but then I finally got around to installing my rooftop tent and canopy. After the install the truck had become very road crazy. It would dig into turns, lean horribly, couldn't drive a straight line above 40 to save my life. And I had it realigned twice after the initial alignment to no avail.

Well I was dealing with it, making small changes trying to get it driving better. THEN MY BRAND NEW LEFT REAR WHEEL AND TIRE FELL OFF THE THE TRUCK with less than 1,000 miles on it and I damn near rolled the truck wrestling it to a stop on the side of the road with only 3 wheels on it. Somehow miraculously it didn't damage anything save for the wheel and tire and it was all mostly superficial. How my quarter panel didn't get destroyed, I dont know. After some polite wrestling I bought a new wheel and the tire shop provided me with a new 37" tire for free, mounted and balanced and I now have a full size 37" matching spare. A pretty fair turn out after something that could have been very bad. I put the wheel on the truck myself this time and I made a point to torque all 64 lug nuts and with red lock tite too. No fucking chances this time around.

My truck was still driving a little crazy though. Well the drag links are off of an old farm truck with God knows how many miles romping through the mud on them, so I bought a MOOG problem solver front end kit, absolutely everything between the knuckles and up to the pitman arm got replaced with new heavier duty components. Well while I was down there, I couldn't help but feel like something was missing.

As it turns out, the tire shop when they first installed my wheels and tires and did the initial alignment REMOVED MY TRACK BAR because "it was messing with the alignment" and "a leaf spring truck doesn't need one"

Ya there was some disagreement there as I was trying to describe to them the road craziness as well as the roll over sensation I have been fighting ever since they touched it. Fortunately I still had the one that came with my front end initially and I installed a track bar on the truck AGAIN.

I've been driving it for close to 2 weeks now with its current setup. And it feel much safer. I'm slowly beginning to trust the truck again but every time the weight shifts in a turn im still holding my breath because I dont fully trust it again yet. People keep telling me the problem is between my ears and they may be right, because my legitimate fear of a roll over is still somewhere there after the near miss I had just before Thanksgiving.

So to help build my trust further im doing some more upgrades to the suspension. (Dont worry, I'm not going taller!) I currently have a dual front shock setup on order for the front end as well as some add-a-leafs for the rear to help with the extra weight of the rack, tent, canopy, and full size spare that now sit over the rear axle. I estimate in the neighborhood of about 300 lbs. Almost all of that sitting on top of the truck adding to my fear of a roll over. And I still need to do the transmission swap.

If I had to do it all over again.....

View attachment 967211 View attachment 967212 View attachment 967213 View attachment 967214 View attachment 967215 View attachment 967216 View attachment 967217 View attachment 967218 View attachment 967219 View attachment 967220 View attachment 967221 View attachment 967222 View attachment 967223 View attachment 967224 View attachment 967225 View attachment 967226 View attachment 967227 View attachment 967228 View attachment 967229 View attachment 967230 View attachment 967231
What lift kit did you have on it when it was 2wd? I’ve been contemplating doing a 4wd swap but really have zero need to lol.

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score

I was going to mention this swap as well. I have an 02 F350 with a 4" inch lift on the original 4wd front end. It rides like a S%$T in my opinion. I think this swap might help. The other thing I was thinking about trying was sulastic shackles all the way around. The shackles might help ride quality too.

Backlash

Reaction score
I was going to mention this swap as well. I have an 02 F350 with a 4" inch lift on the original 4wd front end. It rides like a S%$T in my opinion. I think this swap might help. The other thing I was thinking about trying was sulastic shackles all the way around. The shackles might help ride quality too.

Which springs are you using on your lift kit?

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
What lift kit did you have on it when it was 2wd? I’ve been contemplating doing a 4wd swap but really have zero need to lol.

I had a procomp 6" 2wd lift. The 6" 4x4 procomp lift is equivalent to an 8" 2wd lift. As i found out the hard way. Whatever you do to the front end, add an extra 2" inches in the rear.