WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The Californians

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I just can't sleep and came across these skits from SNL - They're pretty stupid, but funny at the same time. It's fun watching them break character and try not to crack up. Most millennials won't understand the Valley phenomena that happened in the early 80's, but if you remember it and you've got about an hour to kill you'll do some cracking up.

Here's a compilation of them:

HBCraig

Reaction score
I just can't sleep and came across these skits from SNL - They're pretty stupid, but funny at the same time. It's fun watching them break character and try not to crack up. Most millennials won't understand the Valley phenomena that happened in the early 80's, but if you remember it and you've got about an hour to kill you'll do some cracking up.

Here's a compilation of them:

Still gold in today's world.

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
Many Californians don’t get the joke. I didn’t until I moved. Californians talk about how to get around like the rest of the country talks about weather. Also the word “THE” before 405, 5, 101, etc. It’s a throwback to THE San Diego freeway, etc. when CA changed the highways to numbers the word “THE” remained. It’s a true give away that you are a California native. Hi, I’m THE Dave. Sounds weird right? The valley girl talk is just extra...lol

Taboma

Reaction score
Many Californians don’t get the joke. I didn’t until I moved. Californians talk about how to get around like the rest of the country talks about weather. Also the word “THE” before 405, 5, 101, etc. It’s a throwback to THE San Diego freeway, etc. when CA changed the highways to numbers the word “THE” remained. It’s a true give away that you are a California native. Hi, I’m THE Dave. Sounds weird right? The valley girl talk is just extra...lol

That is interesting, never really thought about it. But yup, I do it as well, but only when referring to major roads, mostly freeways --- like they're a special thing that deserves or requires the " The ". Like The 101 or The 405 or The 55 etc. Similar to how people saying they're taking The bus, but not The Taxi, always A Taxi. When I've been to Texas I don't have a damned clue what anybody is saying. Florida and NY folks are from a different world altogether and those northerners from the Canadian border states, I can't stop laughing.

Groper

Reaction score
Haha yep we call it a FWY or HWY everywhere else they call it a Expressway, Turnpike ?(wtf), Toll, Interstate, I95, Route, Road, Down the Road a bit, and Over there 😁

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
So Jeff Lebowski is from the Valley since he is THE Dude?

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
Haha yep we call it a FWY or HWY everywhere else they call it a Expressway, Turnpike ?(wtf), Toll, Interstate, I95, Route, Road, Down the Road a bit, and Over there 😁
In NC it’s just called 77 or 40. Not THE 77 or THE 40. All of the freeways in CA like THE Pasadena freeway or THE San Diego Freeway were shortened to a number like the rest of the country. But THE and FREEWAY remained.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
My millennial kids are playing these for me now. It's gone full circle.