WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The Catalina Fun Run and why aren’t you ocean boating?

Teague_JR

Reaction score
On Sunday Corey V (Eliminator 30 Eagle) and Erick (Fast Loud Photography) hosted the diet version of the Catalina Fun Run. Due to the virus, no helicopters, no overnight stay, and pretty much no promotion of the event. The larger full scale event should happen in October. We left from the queen mary at 9 then moored at Avalon and had lunch at Decanso beach club. Even with just a word of mouth system for the event we had 15 boats including a few MTI’s, a few fountains, a skater and a midnight express (with Munky the guitarist from Korn onboard, cool guy.)

I would really like to see more of our west coast boating community get out on the ocean. These events are a great way to get your feet wet around people who are experienced. I guarantee you once you give it a try you will be hooked. The Pacific Ocean is so epic, many places to go, marinas, sight seeing, and as much challenge as you want to take on as a driver.

It was a generally calm day on the ocean. I could have run a Hallett 240 to the island and back at 50 mph without much trouble. There are tons of good ocean condition apps to see what the water will be like a few days in advance. It’s only 23 miles to catalina. How far do you think the run to Topock is?

Please take it from me: SALT WATER WILL NOT DESTROY YOUR BOAT. You flush the engine and intercooler with a garden hose, then wash it with soap, end of story. You can also rinse the trailer front to back or just go dunk it at the river two weeks later.

Anyways: here are some pics. If you want to go for a run sometime reach out to me!

JT

D36D230B-E02C-4630-8D3C-76E90167AB7D.jpeg
15F9CC14-3B47-4A6A-A12B-E10753272A57.jpeg
48A1C5E0-0C46-4761-9C3E-8EC3C3AA7826.jpeg
747BE73E-C86E-4470-B156-D17754C0A783.jpeg
754E00FC-24D6-4B08-B186-C8BBD6A38320.jpeg
A3092B0D-CD15-410C-A874-6D15B4616552.jpeg
522AAE63-CD59-4523-98A0-D12271742A94.jpeg
24D05274-D102-49B0-A7D6-5ABEA7D9D640.jpeg

Tank

Reaction score
Bad ass John!! We would've loved to run but A) we were in Ozarks for the Cig run and B) Our boat isn't done yet. May be able to do the October run if it isn't too close to Taylor and AJ's wedding. Keep in touch dude!

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Yeah munky is a boat guy. There was a write up in hot boat showcasing his shockwave 29 that he had built. It was a bitchin boat, all black with blue flames. I actually might still have that issue

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Teague_JR

Reaction score
Bad ass John!! We would've loved to run but A) we were in Ozarks for the Cig run and B) Our boat isn't done yet. May be able to do the October run if it isn't too close to Taylor and AJ's wedding. Keep in touch dude!

Tell your future ex son in law to hurry up haha. That’s what you get for buying a 496 boat for ReLiAbiLiTy.

joking aside I miss you guys! Let me know when your boats done.

Tank

Reaction score
Tell your future ex son in law to hurry up haha. That’s what you get for buying a 496 boat for ReLiAbiLiTy.

joking aside I miss you guys! Let me know when your boats done.
LOL...I keep telling him, trust me. Project has snowballed. 🤦‍♂️
Hoping a few weeks it'll be done. We're coming up on prime So-Cal offshore boating season!! Want to get out to the islands. Fountains looking great! Let me know when you're running in CI again we can meet you for lunch or something.

jailbird141

Reaction score
I have made this run a few times. I saw no advertise or mention of it anywhere. It is a lot of fun, but difficult to attend when there is no mention of it until after it happens. Maybe a post on RDP a few weeks before the next one happens would he increase attendance.

RichL

Reaction score
Great pics. Thanks for putting them up for the rest of us.

Teague_JR

Reaction score
I have made this run a few times. I saw no advertise or mention of it anywhere. It is a lot of fun, but difficult to attend when there is no mention of it until after it happens. Maybe a post on RDP a few weeks before the next one happens would he increase attendance.
How about moving it off Father's Day?

The full event in October will be more promoted. I’ll be sure to post about it here. This last weekend was not the normal program..

also keep in mind this is just put on by some boaters who want to get together and have fun. the entry fee ($50 last year?) gets you a shirt and some helicopter shots.

HCP3

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question. Is their a water "taxi" to get you too and from mooring?

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
New boat is a little too small for the big blue, but would love to tag along sometime. Followed all the Instagram and FB stories from the event and it looked like an EPIC day.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Probably a stupid question. Is their a water "taxi" to get you too and from mooring?

Are you a strong swimmer? JK - Yes there is a water taxi you can call VHF or wave down.

Teague_JR

Reaction score

yes the shore boats are run by the city and it’s $5 per person. The drivers are usually very chill.

You just pull up to Avalon marina opening and harbor patrol meets you for mooring assignment. It’s $22 for the day and $30 or so for overnight. My personal info I listed under the boats coast guard number so they can call my cell with info or a better mooring if staying the weekend.

04-24Stealth

Reaction score
Been wanting to make this run. Been in the ocean a bunch fishing on center consoles but havent had the ultra out in ocean, only the bay. Let me know next time you guys are planning a run.

Tank

Reaction score
New boat is a little too small for the big blue, but would love to tag along sometime. Followed all the Instagram and FB stories from the event and it looked like an EPIC day.
What size boat? We ran our old 24' Baja out to Catalina COUNTLESS TIMES. During poker runs or just fun runs / over nighters. Only time I ever got in trouble was leaving too late heading back to Marina Del Rey (directly into swell) and the wind was blowing about 25 mph around the north end of the island and the swell was 6 foot. Turned around went back, stayed another night and left early in the morning.

If the weather is decent and the swell is mellow, you can go over in a 17' whaler!

Pic of us running over in 99ish SCOPE Poker Run.

48.png

Last edited:

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
What size boat? We ran our old 24' Baja out to Catalina COUNTLESS TIMES. During poker runs or just fun runs / over nighters. Only time I ever got in trouble was leaving too late heading back to Marina Del Rey (directly into swell) and the wind was blowing about 25 mph around the north end of the island and the swell was 6 foot. Turned around went back, stayed another night and left early in the morning.

If the weather is decent and the swell is mellow, you can go over in a 17' whaler!

Pic of us running over 99ish SCOPE Poker Run.

View attachment 892566
22 Shockwave Deckboat with 400R. It would be pretty sketch to run it!! Would have to be the calmest day in the history of ever.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Flatsix66

Reaction score
This is definitely on my boating goals todo list...overnight trip to Catalina. Would a 29' MCOB work out there with open cooling? Nordic Heat or Lavey 29

Tank

Reaction score
22 Shockwave Deckboat with 400R. It would be pretty sketch to run it!! Would have to be the calmest day in the history of ever.

You can roll with us when the Cigs done Joe. ;)

Just checking out your thread on the lower river run. Your boat is gorgeous but I wouldn't want to run a deck boat in the ocean, you're right.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Id love to do it but would hate to dunk the trailer in salt even rinsing it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

getch

Reaction score
Id love to do it but would hate to dunk the trailer in salt even rinsing it out.

I think the trailers get the worst end of it, they’re raw metal inside so they just get eaten up from the inside out.

thmterry

Reaction score
I think the trailers get the worst end of it, they’re raw metal inside so they just get eaten up from the inside out.
This is very true and you never see it till too late.

The best advise I ever got about an Ocean boat was from the old owner of Gaines marine in Havasu, I asked him what was a good ocean boat and he said " whatever your friends own" 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Teague_JR

Reaction score
This is definitely on my boating goals todo list...overnight trip to Catalina. Would a 29' MCOB work out there with open cooling? Nordic Heat or Lavey 29

All good options. I am running blower motors with all open cooling. Just give it a hose flush when you wash it.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score

Yeah don’t put that beautiful trailer in saltwater. There’s a couple marinas around that have cranes you can hoist your boat into the water.

SoCalDave

Reaction score

I know Marina Shipyard used to launch your boat off the trailer for a very reasonable fee.
I've had friends go this route as they had no intention of ruining their trailer.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

I'd stay away from a deckboat in ocean if its got that lower profile bow..... you never want to take water over the bow.... we call that stuffing.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
On Sunday Corey V (Eliminator 30 Eagle) and Erick (Fast Loud Photography) hosted the diet version of the Catalina Fun Run. Due to the virus, no helicopters, no overnight stay, and pretty much no promotion of the event. The larger full scale event should happen in October. We left from the queen mary at 9 then moored at Avalon and had lunch at Decanso beach club. Even with just a word of mouth system for the event we had 15 boats including a few MTI’s, a few fountains, a skater and a midnight express (with Munky the guitarist from Korn onboard, cool guy.)

I would really like to see more of our west coast boating community get out on the ocean. These events are a great way to get your feet wet around people who are experienced. I guarantee you once you give it a try you will be hooked. The Pacific Ocean is so epic, many places to go, marinas, sight seeing, and as much challenge as you want to take on as a driver.

It was a generally calm day on the ocean. I could have run a Hallett 240 to the island and back at 50 mph without much trouble. There are tons of good ocean condition apps to see what the water will be like a few days in advance. It’s only 23 miles to catalina. How far do you think the run to Topock is?

Please take it from me: SALT WATER WILL NOT DESTROY YOUR BOAT. You flush the engine and intercooler with a garden hose, then wash it with soap, end of story. You can also rinse the trailer front to back or just go dunk it at the river two weeks later.

Anyways: here are some pics. If you want to go for a run sometime reach out to me!

JT

View attachment 892486 View attachment 892487 View attachment 892488 View attachment 892489 View attachment 892491 View attachment 892492 View attachment 892493 View attachment 892494
Hey John.... I was out doing near shore runs Sunday from Newport to Dana and back. I make trips to Catalina for overnights on my 30' Magic Wizard and would join your group if you let me know maybe 2 weeks out. I've gone over for 15 years on everything from a 18 Boston Whaler to a 23' speed boat and now my Wizard. Key for me is a 7am departure so I get that flat best ride stuff.... and I return next day whenever I can pull my peeps out of Luau Larrys, lol. Following seas kind of thing. I usually shoot up to Two Harbors after I secure my can in Avalon. Love that 12 mile stretch and Two Harbors has done some great upgrading at their seaside restaurant if you haven't checked it out yet. Cheers.

PS.... is Bob Teague your pops.? If so I'll pm you.... gotta an old friend he'll want to say hi to from fire fighter days.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score

Pic of us running over in 99ish SCOPE Poker Run.

View attachment 892566

HAHA your SST was and still is a pretty amazing offshore boat for it's size....🤘😈😉

USMC2010

Reaction score
We had a pretty rough ride over last year and was left alone in the back to get there when we did. That being said, it was something I do not regret doing and have been on the ocean once since then and it was awesome.

Tank

Reaction score
HAHA your SST was and still is a pretty amazing offshore boat for it's size....🤘😈😉

Thanks! I love the lines of the Outlaw. Bought it because I couldn't afford a Cigarette (I was 22 y/o) but it had the same hard offshore lines. Bought it brand new in 97 and had it built at the factory in Ohio. Ran that thing in the pacific ocean (at times in BIG water) for 7 years before selling it. I don't care what people say about Baja's they hold their own in real water. Little attention to details aren't there like a custom builder but bang for the buck you couldn't beat it. Paid 55k brand new with a 454 mag and bravo on a Trailrite matching painted steel trailer. Ended up having Brian (B&D) swap the motor out for a blown 650 hp motor that pushed it to 80 or so. Got a little scary at that speed but it was always a fun boat. Wife said we can never buy anything that small again though after having the Top Gun LOL.

n.png

Last edited:

Teague_JR

Reaction score
Hey John.... I was out doing near shore runs Sunday from Newport to Dana and back. I make trips to Catalina for overnights on my 30' Magic Wizard and would join your group if you let me know maybe 2 weeks out. I've gone over for 15 years on everything from a 18 Boston Whaler to a 23' speed boat and now my Wizard. Key for me is a 7am departure so I get that flat best ride stuff.... and I return next day whenever I can pull my peeps out of Luau Larrys, lol. Following seas kind of thing. I usually shoot up to Two Harbors after I secure my can in Avalon. Love that 12 mile stretch and Two Harbors has done some great upgrading at their seaside restaurant if you haven't checked it out yet. Cheers.

PS.... is Bob Teague your pops.? If so I'll pm you.... gotta an old friend he'll want to say hi to from fire fighter days.

sounds good. Keep an eye out for the October event.

yes he is. Let me know who...

MooreMoney

Reaction score
The last 3 times I’ve pulled on the trailer at Windsor that skater is pulling out. Sounds healthy

looks like a fun trip!

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Wonder how cheap I could get an aluminum trailer for specifically to drop it in the ocean?

Tank

Reaction score
The last 3 times I’ve pulled on the trailer at Windsor that skater is pulling out. Sounds healthy

looks like a fun trip!
I was wondering which Skater it was before. Obviously new paint.

John, you know?

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Thanks! I love the lines of the Outlaw. Bought it because I couldn't afford a Cigarette (I was 22 y/o) but it had the same hard offshore lines. Bought it brand new in 97 and had it built at the factory in Ohio. Ran that thing in the pacific ocean (at times in BIG water) for 7 years before selling it. I don't care what people say about Baja's they hold their own in real water. Little attention to details aren't there like a custom builder but bang for the buck you couldn't beat it. Paid 55k brand new with a 454 mag and bravo on a Trailrite matching painted steel trailer. Ended up having Brian (B&D) swap the motor out for a blown 650 hp motor that pushed it to 80 or so. Got a little scary at that speed but it was always a fun boat. Wife said we can never buy anything that small again though after having the Top Gun LOL.

View attachment 892939
That's a beautiful starter boat to learn offshore nuances on Tank. Check out this lower profile 23' I made all my mistakes on..... man did that thing have aa low freeboard!
1593193156228.png

RichL

Reaction score
Wonder how cheap I could get an aluminum trailer for specifically to drop it in the ocean?
Aluminum isn't cheap but worth the cost in my opinion. When I brought the Formula home it was on the original Eagle steel trailer. Even though the chances of it seeing salt are slim while I own it I put a new Manning under it and am very pleased.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I can attest to the fast damage salt water launches have on "Tube trailers" .... Craigs list often has galvanized/ aluminum trailers of all sizes on sale.

Teague_JR

Reaction score
I was wondering which Skater it was before. Obviously new paint.

John, you know?

surprisingly no I do not haha

Its got blower motors and dry sump 6's... first gen 36 I think

Tank

Reaction score
surprisingly no I do not haha

Its got blower motors and dry sump 6's... first gen 36 I think
Yep it's an older Skater for sure (1st gen). Wonder what it was before. Nice restore either way.

Tank

Reaction score
Aluminum isn't cheap but worth the cost in my opinion. When I brought the Formula home it was on the original Eagle steel trailer. Even though the chances of it seeing salt are slim while I own it I put a new Manning under it and am very pleased.
Manning builds one of the best trailers on the market. Right there with Myco 100%

Tony DCB Boats

Reaction score

JT

View attachment 892486 View attachment 892487 View attachment 892488 View attachment 892489 View attachment 892491 View attachment 892492 View attachment 892493 View attachment 892494
DCB is all in for the one in October. Great way to break in one of the M-37R's... Great pics John.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
FYI .... I just spoke with Pavilion Hotel next to Luau Larrys... they're open for biz.... just need to wear masks when in common areas. Front desk said some but not all restaurants open now. Desconso webcam shows folks at the bar. He sounded very happy to be working!

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
... my crew is kinda chompin at bit for an overnight run... now that I know our fav spots are purcolating again we'll be over in next month. I'm kinda burnt out after too much boating so will wait 2-4 weeks to recharge. But goin over before any summer tourism crowding begins will be nice. Oct-Mar are my fav times.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I am always down to head out there and boat. Have not been in a couple of months but may shoot out this week.

Havasu Hangin'

Lord of the Drinks
Reaction score
Yes I always have extra zip ties. As for Father's Day... Are you still finding kids that you didn't know about and can't make that weekend work?
just curious...

They keep coming around, but I just give them your phone number, and tell them to call me on Father's Day.

Good luck next year. 👍