WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The cleanest CVX-20 I've ever seen

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Back when I was running CarlsonSpeed.com, a guy wandered into the forum and mentioned he was going to restore a CVX-20. We got that a lot. He didn't make much fuss about having big ideas and he didn't ask questions. Odd.

It turned out, he was a friend of Art Carlson. Art told him that he thought it would be really great to do up a CVX-20 in the modern style and bring it into the contemporary fold. That is precisely what Bruce did and he did a superb job.

Of slight interest, that is exactly what I did with my boat and I suspect for the very same reason, although not with the same level of taste and style that Bruce achieved. Ditch the cream in favor of the white. Cream was merely the whitest gel coat available in the 1970s. Ditch the orange/brown/green 70s interiors for white upholstery and modern colors. I understand my project was somewhat inspirational to Bruce's project.

Bruce's boat is featured in the first 1:15 of this video.

[video=youtube;7XG3a0oQQjI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XG3a0oQQjI[/video]

Bruce achieved something great, before he passed away. I had the chance to meet him in person a few weeks before he passed. He was a really dignified guy.

Interestingly, I think the boat is for sale. A different place, different time, I would own it but mostly because my friend owned it and I followed the history of it.

Bruce had Art Carlson contact me about my boat. I was excited about it, thinking we could talk setup and I wanted to run an idea for strake modifications by him. Instead, he repeated the same line about four times and then ditched the call, "Tell me you will take the 260 off of that boat."

I dare say, Art Carlson made it apparent he did not approve of the 260/CVX-16 combo.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Cool boats. My family had a silver CX that burned in a barn fire and then replaced it with a blue one like the one JBB is restoring. A couple of memories boating as a 3-4 yr old the engine hatch had thumb screw latches. At idle they would make a weird sound. Grew up on a shallow lake with quite a few rocks. The jet and cav plate were like a high powered magnet. :D good times. :thumbup:

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Bruce did it right. Too many hardcore Carlson owners wanting to restore to original rather than bringing things up to the times. Carlson designed the hull not the power, drive ,color scheme or interior.

Thanks for posting the pics Tom. I scanned your sight once in a while and I do not recall this build.

Director...
Reaction score
Great story. The Hull's lines lend itself nicely to modern color and appointments...That said, Im hoping that when I finish mine, it looks like it just came off the showroom floor ...in 1980

Warlock1

Reaction score
I must have looked at those pics of his boat a dozen times to see how he did things. Other than the Left side steering and keeping the rub rail mine should look very similar to that one. Currently I am removing all of the foam and replacing the floor. Then she gets flipped to work the bottom. I have no idea how to do that so youtube will be my friend.
My pics are in the jet section.