WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The deepest channel into the river!!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
This is flying South bound out of the river. Bullhead Bully abd I flew over and looked to see where the deepest path is into the river and then flew back and I filmed the path.

Exiting the river you would want to hug the reeds and then continue west towards The Lansing. Opposite heading into the river!

If you continue straight out to the lake you are going to get stuck!

PlanB

Reaction score
That's the same route I have been using for a while now. You can see the sandbars to the left as you enter the lake.

traquer

Reaction score
So, follow the airplane? That would have been funny if there was someone down there nervous and just decided fuck it these guys look like they know what they're doing up there I'm gonna follow them.

Thanks for the vid

Last edited:

DWC

Reaction score
Thanks for this. Appreciate the visual.

rivergames

Reaction score
Nice! Marking it down on SafeWatersAPP would really help many boaters! I want to plan a trip going from The Springs up to Pirates soon!

FreeBird236

Reaction score
That is the best way, but even that was less than 1' at the tip of the Island about 5 days ago.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I'd love to see at wider angle pic from higher up to know/learn where the channel boundries are........I do want to leave room for other boats that want to use the same path.
Is the far N.E. path(closer to Az shore) no longer viable?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Pretty sure that’s the way it’s always been. Thanks for documenting it.

It used to be after you got into the lake you could pretty much go straight. That is really shallow this season and a lot of people have been getting stuck right at the mouth of the river

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
You always hug inside of a curve, boating in rivers. Outside flow gets filled with silt, debris.
Despite the contradiction at this particular entrance, this is actually backwards. Rivers carve out the outside of the turn and deposit the sand and silt down the trailing edge after that same curve. The difference with the entrance to the gorge from the lake is the big sandbar right in the middle (reed island). Nature doesn't always follow the plan especially when there are mega dams that stop the current flow.

8218088.jpg

Singleton

Reaction score
Is it just me , or is there going to be a big accident in the coming months. The deep gap is getting smaller and throw in the blind spot now.

Going up river the last few years using this line. Stressed each time I run it, due to the down river traffic. Might be the reason I only go north during the week (Mon-Thurs) or on Sundays

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Is it just me , or is there going to be a big accident in the coming months. The deep gap is getting smaller and throw in the blind spot now.
I won't say you need to be careful, but it's been that way off and on for years. You can swing East going up and get a better view.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Yea don’t go straight when coming south.

We stopped to have lunch on a ride last week. This guy was on the rev limiter for minutes.. he finally got himself loose.

I could hear it and see the mud he was slinging from that vantage point :)

1F109D9C-35C0-4D17-9D04-8EF0E89E9384.jpeg

AZBrummett21

It's a Brummett
Reaction score
I got it figured out since last weekend we got stuck. First time ever at Havasu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I concur, been running up and down that path of the river mouth for years now.

That’s the best route, however boaters should use caution and be very aware of surroundings and oncoming boat traffic as it comes up fast sometimes on busy days.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I got it figured out since last weekend we got stuck. First time ever at Havasu.

That’s a bummer. The water level was low the past week or two for sure.

PlanB

Reaction score
I am in no hurry. I just take the wakeless bouys.

What's the depth at over there now? Last time I went through there was a few years ago, and I was getting readings just over 1' in some areas.

Bullhead bully

Reaction score
I’ve been running that same line for years. It’s particularly important to stay there at the moment. Hopefully they raise the lake back up two or 3 feet and then it won’t be a factor. You’ll get away with running over most all of that area. I have no idea why they’re lowering down Havasu. It’s just a staging pond for the aqueducts. Seriously 3 feet of water makes a difference? How ridiculous.

I agree with the comment above that it is tight and it’s narrow. We all need to be extra careful and go very slow through there. I always do because it is a blind corner. I told Dave on a bad day I just put my boat in the weeds before I hit someone.

El Guapo

HAVING FUN
Reaction score
Is the water lower this year? Usually at D.S or around that time the water level is higher, or at least I thought so. I remember hugging the island and then blowing straight out, trim up and go! Not saying that was a good choice but that was my D.S path for a few years. As I learned the lake, I took the path Bully & RD marked out. All of our boats have had low drafts, especially at speed. I have only seen one boat stuck on that sand island, a big cat who's name I will not mention. rumor is he got nervous and chopped the throttles.
Great post by RD and Bully!

Cheers,

Bo

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
I thought this was another thread about the dock at roadrunner.
Stay safe and be aware of your draft.

CobraDave

Reaction score
I haven’t been stuck before but that shallow area is dangerous because you can’t see it till you’re there.

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
My family and I have a fairly set Havasu routine. We typically spend two full days on the water. We go up river, launching at site 6 or Windsor, one day and the other day we spend at the south end, launching at Cattail Cove.
My favorite day is up river. I LOVE THE GORGE and that is exactly my line but of the entire weekend the up & down around the island is my least favorite (OK, Scary) part. I swear I hold my breath for a solid minute.
I can't stay trimmed up at less than about 30-35 and the blind corners suck donkey ****. I miss the no wake dredge zone. Took forever but it was a relaxing forever.
Someone above said it best, I have already decided I will eat the weeds or sandbar before I go head-on. Please be careful and anyone running over 50 through the blind curve deserves the donkey **** shoved up their ......

TCHB

Reaction score
Yes you better keep eyes on boat traffic in that area. I have seen a boat traveling very fast cut that blind corner going south.

checkrd past

Reaction score
Yes you better keep eyes on boat traffic in that area. I have seen a boat traveling very fast cut that blind corner going south.

Yep ,I hear ya. Seen the mouth of the river change alot since 1992, but it seems to have settled in this pattern the longest. And I don't like to put my families safety on what others do. Ill be doing the bouy lines this year.

Singleton

Reaction score
Yep ,I hear ya. Seen the mouth of the river change alot since 1992, but it seems to have settled in this pattern the longest. And I don't like to put my families safety on what others do. Ill be doing the bouy lines this year.

it has been posted the bouy line (CA side) route is not usable anymore.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
it has been posted the bouy line (CA side) route is not usable anymore.
To clarify, the buoy line is there, and people were getting stuck with a combo of low flow out of the dam, and the lake was around 446'. That route should be fine under more normal, summer, conditions.

spectras only

Reaction score
Despite the contradiction at this particular entrance, this is actually backwards. Rivers carve out the outside of the turn and deposit the sand and silt down the trailing edge after that same curve. The difference with the entrance to the gorge from the lake is the big sandbar right in the middle (reed island). Nature doesn't always follow the plan especially when there are mega dams that stop the current flow.

8218088.jpg
I agree it is different dealing with S curves. The inside scenario generally rules for single curves. Nature can be a bitch sometimes;)
Our mighty Fraser River doesn't have many S curves but still plenty boaters get stuck near the middle of the river there, unless they have a jet bote😜