WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The getting old and retiring in Havasu thread.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
And I had my heart surgery in Vegas, was good for me. Nobody will ever agree on the medical service here. Every where you go people some like it and some hate it in every town.
Very true story!! When my wife and I got out of the commie state in '92 we were told that the medical was for shit where we moved to. As it turned out it was great for both of us. We both had some surgeries with great results and liked all the doctors we had. We had many male docs over the years as the men loved it there, the wives not so much. The big C hit the wife and we thought hell, time for Eugene or Portland. turned out the Cancer center where we were was rated in the top 50 of the States.
Move forward 25 years and Havasu has been fine with us also. Friends have had heart surgeries with great results. Wife has had to use the ER and had no problems at all except the cost, sheesh!!!!! I did have a personality conflict with a wound care center here two years ago and made the drive to Kingman once a week to get that problem fixed up. JUST finished up another once a week, two month stint at Kingman's WCC and again everything worked out just fine.
I believe once you leave, to get away from all the hustle and hassel's of big city life some trade-off are going to have to happen and that's where you need to put lot's of thought.

boatdoc55

Reaction score
I make it a habit to not recommend doctors or dentists. Truth is, since buying a nice home in Havasu, and retiring here in 2014, we're comfortable with our doctors and the care at the hospital. Local dentists? Not so much.
I've had the same dentist for 15+ years, she's GREAT!!! She's in Algadones!!!! 😁

boatdoc55

Reaction score
It kind of sucks for friends and family that visit on a weekend, "we want to go out in the boat", fuck me!
Our toon is allergic to weekend water and ALL family and friends know it. We made the mad rush yesterday to go out on the water at about 1PM. Took 2 phone calls and had 6 people on the boat. Got to the cove under pilot rock and had a wonderful afternoon ending with hotdogs at 5pm and back at the pool at home at 6pm. Hate that afternoon weekday boating!!!!😁

Last edited:

DWC

Reaction score
Side question, for others that have moved here full time. When we were weekenders we would go balls out and hit every weekend event out here year round, Desert Storm start to finish, Rockabilly, Winter Blast, everything.
Last year was our first with a place in Havasu. Spent most of the year there due to Covid. It took a little while to adjust my Havasu program. Cracking a beer first thing in the morning and going out to dinner every night worked for the weekend program. That pace didn’t really go with the full time deal.

just_floatin

Reaction score
I have been making the trip from Mesa to LHC twice a month ten days at a time April through November (snowbirds rent the other months) for the past four years. The frequency of our travels to LHC helped the wife and me plan our retirement to include LHC as one leg of our long term retirement plan. As of today, retirement in five years will split time RV’ the country while making our homes LHC and Lodi, Ca. We love Lake Tahoe, the delta waterways and the “wine country” life in Lodi.

Last edited:

dezrtracer

Reaction score
Side question, for others that have moved here full time. When we were weekenders we would go balls out and hit every weekend event out here year round, Desert Storm start to finish, Rockabilly, Winter Blast, everything. Now that we are here full time all of those events have kind of lost there luster. They are still great events but I am just not into going to all of the things where all of the crowds from visitors are now. With the lake, rarely we will launch on a weekend and even during the week if its not absolute glass I am like screw it, lets see what it looks like then. I have turned into this little lake bitch that if the parking lot isnt empty at the launch ramp and the lake isnt glass I wont launch. I am not sure if its an age thing or just now that this is home we tend to avoid all of things that are full of visitors, it just seems to be happening more and more often.

Hell we're not full time yet ( 3 - 5 year till full time ) and we feel the same as you .

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Been thinking of doing that with the toon, they will let you install a lift? Is there shore power to run it off of there?

Gal at marina told me a few weeks ago they have 300 on a waiting list. If you’re dreaming of that, I’d get on the list.

One2go

Reaction score
Last year was our first with a place in Havasu. Spent most of the year there due to Covid. It took a little while to adjust my Havasu program. Cracking a beer first thing in the morning and going out to dinner every night worked for the weekend program. That pace didn’t really go with the full time deal.
That's big concern for me as well,lol. Doing the week/weekend deal for the last 20 years at the islander its a different Lifestyle for sure. Plan for us is leave sometime around late June and take motorhome where its cooler for few months.Reverse snow birds sorta

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
That's big concern for me as well,lol. Doing the week/weekend deal for the last 20 years at the islander its a different Lifestyle for sure. Plan for us is leave sometime around late June and take motorhome where its cooler for few months.Reverse snow birds sorta
That’s pretty much our plan when we get out there full time. Leave right after the 4th of July and return right after Labor Day to avoid the furnace and explore the Northern States & Canada. I’m not sure what the name is for Reverse Snowbirds? LOL

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
Quitter.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Age or common sense, not sure.

Common sense. Why fight the crowds?

At my buddies place in Parker, we Never launch on the weekends.

One weekend, his boat had been in the water since Wednesday, we left it sitting on the bouy for the weekend. My friend wanted something out of his boat, so I went down there to get it for him.

A guy on the (packed) beach says...

Is that your boat??

Naw, it's my buds.

Are you guys ever gonna take it out?

Sure! When all of you weekenders go home!

He just smiled and said...

Dammmm.

20210424_071845.jpg

boatdoc55

Reaction score
That’s pretty much our plan when we get out there full time. Leave right after the 4th of July and return right after Labor Day to avoid the furnace and explore the Northern States & Canada. I’m not sure what the name is for Reverse Snowbirds? LOL
I've always said "firebirds"

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
Side question, for others that have moved here full time. When we were weekenders we would go balls out and hit every weekend event out here year round, Desert Storm start to finish, Rockabilly, Winter Blast, everything. Now that we are here full time all of those events have kind of lost there luster. They are still great events but I am just not into going to all of the things where all of the crowds from visitors are now. With the lake, rarely we will launch on a weekend and even during the week if its not absolute glass I am like screw it, lets see what it looks like then. I have turned into this little lake bitch that if the parking lot isnt empty at the launch ramp and the lake isnt glass I wont launch. I am not sure if its an age thing or just now that this is home we tend to avoid all of things that are full of visitors, it just seems to be happening more and more often.
I must have missed your actual question?

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
I many not currently have a cold one in my hand, warm ones are going in the fridge to make sure I’m ready for the weekend. :oops:

I just finished loading up the rig and am headed to the river house for a boys trip.

Me and my dog, Bo. Lol Need to get a few things done this weekend so I can have the summer off.

As soon as I open the garage, I grab a cold one out of the garage fridge as I unload...regardless of time.

🍺

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
It has to be a free floating lift. There is a guy out of Phoenix that did ours and several others in the Marina. There are five Lifts on just our dock. Yes, there is power on the docks for the lift and whatever else you need power for.
Cost?

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
If we did not have our boat at the Marina we would boat a lot less. I go down, push a button to lower it in the water and go. Come back a few hours later push another button and it’s back on the lift.

We were supposed to be out here one week and it’s been three now. We are going back to San Diego for 5 days this next week and then coming back out for at least a few weeks. The wife has been remote working the entire time. I go to the gym then run down to the boat and load up the cooler and when she gets off we boat every night. It’s been a great schedule so far. We are going to try and stay until it gets hot.

I have friends that were hardcore boaters that moved out here and they only boat a couple of times a year now. What’s the point of living out here?
What is the current monthly rent for a slip?

DLC

Reaction score
I have a rule....
beer I drink tomorrow goes in the fridge today!

I try to stick to that, but sometimes you just need to pack a cooler and use some ice!

TGIF - Cheers!

I many not currently have a cold one in my hand, warm ones are going in the fridge to make sure I’m ready for the weekend. :oops:

DWC

Reaction score
I many not currently have a cold one in my hand, warm ones are going in the fridge to make sure I’m ready for the weekend.
I have a rule....
beer I drink tomorrow goes in the fridge today!

I try to stick to that, but sometimes you just need to pack a cooler and use some ice!

TGIF - Cheers!
Pretty sure these won’t make it til tomorrow.

Reactions: DLC