WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The getting old and retiring in Havasu thread.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Who's done it, what are the pitfalls and how about the logistics.

Any good doctor recommendations?
How about Dentists and eye care?
Medicare choices, PPO or HMO and are you happy with your choice's?

We've been part timers there for almost twenty years but now that we're making it our permanent home soon we need to think about these things.

LHCBOY

Reaction score
I can say from my own personal experience and one main reason we moved. Try getting a medical appointment in the winter months. Majority of birds wait till they are in Havasu to see the Dr. I would have to wait a few months just for a routine check up. I had a great experience with the hospital during my hernia surgery my wife not so good. I know several other people, if dying would rather drive to Kingman then be seen in that hospital.

My wife thought she was having a heart attack a few years ago and we where in the emergency room and shit you not the RN was hooking her up with all the wires and here comes this snotty little girl with a rolling computer asking about how we where going to pay for the visit and wanting credit card info etc. needless to say we did not see her again after my little talking to her.

Again these are just my own experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EarpRider

Reaction score
My wife and I spent out entire life's in Long Beach, we moved full time to Havasu 1/1/20. We've had a house in Parker for 20 years so we knew that July/Aug/ Sept are HOT!
We found all the doctors we need, its not that big of a deal and once you are a patient it's not really hard to get in to see everyone. I broke my ankle last year right after we moved here and I have zero complaints about the hospital, and I've been shot and I have had 5 major back surgery's, so I know hospitals well.
We love it here, I would say the only downside we've seen is that it is still a small town, so busy weekends seem really busy at restaurants, bars, markets, etc... Not that big of a deal, more like stay away from the more touristy spots.

baja-chris

Reaction score
So Havasu has never had a housing price correction?

PlanB

Reaction score
Emergency medical is a concern for us. We have had a house here for 20 years and still don’t know if we can do it full time. I talked to a dock neighbor yesterday that is from here ( longtime Havasu family ). They had an emergency last year in SoCal while on vacation with their young child. They were lucky they were not in Havasu because he probably would have died ( his words ). The emergency medical care in Havasu has always been a concern, especially if you are getting older.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
I have heard good and bad about the hospital.... I have heard when the snow birds come.... good luck on getting an appointment, sssoooo best of luck

riverroyal

Reaction score
Hospital... pretty easy. If your on way to the ER there and you think you won’t die in 2 1/2 hours then keep driving.
nice staff, not enough resources.
I have never been a patient there but I have slept in the waiting room While some else was and..., ended up in helicopter to phoenix

as far as living there, I could do it easy. Wife is on the fence. If you waiting for the big crash, well it crashes when SoCal, Az and Nevada crash. So it really doesn’t matter. Not like one lake town will implode for real estate. If it drops so does your current home.

WildWilly

Reaction score
I'll just add some of the same....the medical care here is horrendous and the last couple of years, the service here sucks. Like others said its a crap shoot if you can even get a call back, and even less odds they show up.

But...its Havasu so all the things you like about it to vacation here are still here....

Magic Mike

Reaction score
It’s been my dream since my first trip to the river 30 years ago to live there...
Hoping to finally make it happen within the next year.

Reactions: DWC

Heylam

Reaction score
When you make your vacation destination your home, some of the glitter goes off.
I like going to Disneyland, but I’d hate to live on Main Street.
When you vacation you tend to see all the positives, when you reside there, the negatives become apparent as well.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
When you make your vacation destination your home, some of the glitter goes off.
I like going to Disneyland, but I’d hate to live on Main Street.
When you vacation you tend to see all the positives, when you reside there, the negatives become apparent as well.

So true on this. Lived 95% of my life in Hawaii, People can’t believe we are willing to give it up by going to Havasu. The bottom line is we spend most of our time working and find ourselves not making the time to enjoy Hawaii. I do have to say that is not the case with Havasu. We can’t wait to get back there when gone.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
How old are we talking for retirement? I’m 56, just moved here full time, I’m about 50% retired, 3-4 hours a day from the home office can be a struggle some days. Traffic to the coffee maker is a biatch.

DanG

Reaction score
Great thread. I'm 49 and and looking to do the same. When I purchased in Havasu, I had a 12 year plan to retire there. That 12 year plan quickly became a 9 year plan, which is now a 6 year plan (retire Jan of age 55). I'm now considering taking on a different role (less money) with my employer so that I can work remotely and move there now. I honestly can't see staying in CA any more than a 1-2 years at this point.

USMC2010

Reaction score
I'm not impressed with this hospital. I went in one night for stitches. The security guard was sleeping at his desk hard. I was there over 6 hours total and it didn't appear to be that busy. Initially I was going to drive to the Last Vegas VA, next time I will.

SkyDirtWaterguy

Reaction score
I'm a native resident of SoCal. Lifelong Havasu/river boater. Mandatory retirement in the next 13 years. I purchased a second home in Havasu in January 2021 and plan to use it as a vacation home until I retire, Then sell the Cali house and get the FUCK OUT of California and move to Havasu fulltime. (Trump 2024!)

As far as real estate prices go, I think as long as the 30 yr fixed interest rates stay low, home prices will stay high. Once interest rates rise, home values decrease. I got a 30yr fixed rate @ 2.8% .. Practically free money and boat and toy storage problem solved!

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Side question, for others that have moved here full time. When we were weekenders we would go balls out and hit every weekend event out here year round, Desert Storm start to finish, Rockabilly, Winter Blast, everything. Now that we are here full time all of those events have kind of lost there luster. They are still great events but I am just not into going to all of the things where all of the crowds from visitors are now. With the lake, rarely we will launch on a weekend and even during the week if its not absolute glass I am like screw it, lets see what it looks like then. I have turned into this little lake bitch that if the parking lot isnt empty at the launch ramp and the lake isnt glass I wont launch. I am not sure if its an age thing or just now that this is home we tend to avoid all of things that are full of visitors, it just seems to be happening more and more often.

SkyDirtWaterguy

Reaction score
Side question, for others that have moved here full time. When we were weekenders we would go balls out and hit every weekend event out here year round, Desert Storm start to finish, Rockabilly, Winter Blast, everything. Now that we are here full time all of those events have kind of lost there luster. They are still great events but I am just not into going to all of the things where all of the crowds from visitors are now. With the lake, rarely we will launch on a weekend and even during the week if its not absolute glass I am like screw it, lets see what it looks like then. I have turned into this little lake bitch that if the parking lot isnt empty at the launch ramp and the lake isnt glass I wont launch. I am not sure if its an age thing or just now that this is home we tend to avoid all of things that are full of visitors, it just seems to be happening more and more often.
I get that 100%! Easier to hang out in the pool in the backyard and let the shitshow go by..... or drive the RZR to the channel and watch the chaos and drive back to the house and boat another day :) It must be an age thing

River Runnin

Reaction score
And I had my heart surgery in Vegas, was good for me. Nobody will ever agree on the medical service here. Every where you go people some like it and some hate it in every town.
I should have stated "The Vegas Hospitals that contract with Havasu" 😑

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
I make it a habit to not recommend doctors or dentists. Truth is, since buying a nice home in Havasu, and retiring here in 2014, we're comfortable with our doctors and the care at the hospital. Local dentists? Not so much.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

You sir need a pontoon with twins.

236eagledave

Reaction score
I’m with you. Been here full time almost five years now. The urgency to get on the lake just isn’t what it used to be. There have been several times I’ve headed down to the ramp only to see the line and head back home and spend the day in the pool. I can always wait and go out on a weekday afternoon.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I’m with you. Been here full time almost five years now. The urgency to get on the lake just isn’t what it used to be. There have been several times I’ve headed down to the ramp only to see the line and head back home and spend the day in the pool. I can always wait and go out on a weekday afternoon.
It kind of sucks for friends and family that visit on a weekend, "we want to go out in the boat", fuck me!

PlanB

Reaction score

If we did not have our boat at the Marina we would boat a lot less. I go down, push a button to lower it in the water and go. Come back a few hours later push another button and it’s back on the lift.

We were supposed to be out here one week and it’s been three now. We are going back to San Diego for 5 days this next week and then coming back out for at least a few weeks. The wife has been remote working the entire time. I go to the gym then run down to the boat and load up the cooler and when she gets off we boat every night. It’s been a great schedule so far. We are going to try and stay until it gets hot.

I have friends that were hardcore boaters that moved out here and they only boat a couple of times a year now. What’s the point of living out here?

DLC

Reaction score
we do a lot of that - we prefer QUALITY boating rather quantity boating!
We are not full time yet but love the weather and our home and all the new friends we have made out there. Some weekends we don’t even leave the casa!

we will also just head down to the island and float in a cove or on a point and watch the boats go by! maybe grill some brats or dogs while the sun sets, very relaxing!
We are not BIG fans of the channel on weekends way to many chemical engineers, turning alcohol into urine!

I get the weekend warriors trying to save every minute before heading back to the grind

as for Dr’s with all the birds in town during winter, I would think HAVASU is doing something right! The birds can go anywhere and the choose Hava zoo!

QUOTE="ONE-A-DAY, post: 4101751, member: 4305"]
[/QUOTE]

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
If we did not have our boat at the Marina we would boat a lot less. I go down, push a button to lower it in the water and go. Come back a few hours later push another button and it’s back on the lift.

We were supposed to be out here one week and it’s been three now. We are going back to San Diego for 5 days this next week and then coming back out for at least a few weeks. The wife has been remote working the entire time. I go to the gym then run down to the boat and load up the cooler and when she gets off we boat every night. It’s been a great schedule so far. We are going to try and stay until it gets hot.

I have friends that were hardcore boaters that moved out here and they only boat a couple of times a year now. What’s the point of living out here?
Been thinking of doing that with the toon, they will let you install a lift? Is there shore power to run it off of there?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I feel exactly the same way.. lol.

PlanB

Reaction score
Been thinking of doing that with the toon, they will let you install a lift? Is there shore power to run it off of there?

It has to be a free floating lift. There is a guy out of Phoenix that did ours and several others in the Marina. There are five Lifts on just our dock. Yes, there is power on the docks for the lift and whatever else you need power for.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
It has to be a free floating lift. There is a guy out of Phoenix that did ours and several others in the Marina. There are five Lifts on just our dock. Yes, there is power on the docks for the lift and whatever else you need power for.
So compressed air floats it?

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
So compressed air floats it?
My wife retires in February, I think we will get a slip then for the toon and keep my boat in the garage. Whats the waiting list for a slip, toon is 25', with engine maybe 28, should I put my name in now?

PlanB

Reaction score

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
And I had my heart surgery in Vegas, was good for me. Nobody will ever agree on the medical service here. Every where you go people some like it and some hate it in every town.
Very true. I spent a lot of time in Vegas hospitals because of my father but if you read the reviews on any of them, they seem to be talking about a hospital in Bangladesh. :p

PlanB

Reaction score
My wife retires in February, I think we will get a slip then for the toon and keep my boat in the garage. Whats the waiting list for a slip, toon is 25', with engine maybe 28, should I put my name in now?

Get on the list now. I have been told five years, but I think that depends on the economy. We have had a slip for almost 15 years and it took a couple of years to get one.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
It’s the age thing. Im 57 and don’t want to handle hours wait to launch or retrieve anymore. Besides, humans aren’t supposed to live this long.....we used to die around 45 anyway..:p:p