WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The GM engineer that located the Y pipe beneath trans pan

bk2drvr

Reaction score
What’s more baffling than anything is they’ve left it that way for the past 4-5 generations of the truck/suv.

F that guy! I hope wherever he is he’s in lot of pain.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Which part sucks worse:
The rear bolts,
or,
Removing the pan passed the filter without slopping stuff everywhere!

bk2drvr

Reaction score
Which part sucks worse:
The rear bolts,
or,
I pumped most of it out from the top before removing the pan so no spilling. Pulled the exhaust down with a strap and a Jack. Great feeling as your pumping away on the jack.

Attachments

• 4BDB2C78-6D65-4B45-AD99-6F5BA31BAFE1.jpeg
    4BDB2C78-6D65-4B45-AD99-6F5BA31BAFE1.jpeg
    411 KB · Views: 137

ltbaney1

Reaction score
while i totally agree, fuck that guy. what mental midget decided it would be a good idea to remove the trans dipstick? fuck that guy too. some of us actually like to pre trip our shit before we go, not just hope thats it right.

traquer

Reaction score
while i totally agree, fuck that guy. what mental midget decided it would be a good idea to remove the trans dipstick? fuck that guy too. some of us actually like to pre trip our shit before we go, not just hope thats it right.

I have a cousin who blew up a Honda accord at 100k. Said it was "old anyway" hahaha at least it wasn't a Toyota truck I guess that'd be more of a shame?

The other day I asked how his current Bimmer is doing. He said the oil lights been on for a while (the low oil light) and that he's gotta make time to take it in one day 💀 Otherwise he's a very smart dude, just not mechanical one bit

ltbaney1

Reaction score
I have a cousin who blew up a Honda accord at 100k. Said it was "old anyway" hahaha at least it wasn't a Toyota truck I guess that'd be more of a shame?

The other day I asked how his current Bimmer is doing. He said the oil lights been on for a while (the low oil light) and that he's gotta make time to take it in one day 💀 Otherwise he's a very smart dude, just not mechanical one bit
on one hand i totally get why they dont want every ones dickbeaters under the hood. on the other hand it pisses me off that we get hamstrung because some people are too stupid to leave something alone.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Lokar... easy install. did one on my 6L50

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Which part sucks worse:
The rear bolts,
or,

Condensor in a 2007.5-2013….it’s….right…fucking…there….out in the open. Except some fucktard decided to weld one side of the core support bracket so the whole goddam front end has to come off the truck first.

D19

Reaction score
I recently serviced my truck. Couldn’t believe they put it there. I was able to get my pan out very easily.

I ran the new Mobile 1 fluid they recommend and I installed the Transgo thermostat bypass kit. My 8 speed runs 35-40 degrees cooler now.

They do a lot of stupid stuff to these trucks at the factory.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I pumped most of it out from the top before removing the pan so no spilling. Pulled the exhaust down with a strap and a Jack. Great feeling as your pumping away on the jack.
You don't need to touch the exhaust. Clock the pan toward the passenger side and it comes right out.

Reactions: D19

bk2drvr

Reaction score
You don't need to touch the exhaust. Clock the pan toward the passenger side and it comes right out.
Sorry but it doesn’t. Someone mentioned this before and I tried and I’m a pretty savvy home mechanic and it wasn’t happening.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Sorry but it doesn’t. Someone mentioned this before and I tried and I’m a pretty savvy home mechanic and it wasn’t happening.
It does. Hard to describe I guess. I do them all this way. 6 and 8 speeds. Never have touched the exhaust. You had the heat shield removed right?

bk2drvr

Reaction score
It does. Hard to describe I guess. I do them all this way. 6 and 8 speeds. Never have touched the exhaust. You had the heat shield removed right?
Heat shield? Are you referring to the thin sheet metal near the trans? No I didn’t. Does that allow a wider swing of the pan?

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Heat shield? Are you referring to the thin sheet metal near the trans? No I didn’t. Does that allow a wider swing of the pan?
Yes that is the heat shield. Gives you much more room to remove pan.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
Yes that is the heat shield. Gives you much more room to remove pan.
Funny I haven’t found one video online describing this method. Usually something as simple as this is found with a simple Google search. Most people drop one side of the exhaust or pull down on it. You may be the only person on earth that knows what you describe. I’m trying to find the shop manual procedure to see what it says. Thanks for the info, I’m curious if this actually works. How many have you done like this? Maybe you got a unicorn where the exhaust was for some reason 1/2” lower?

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Funny I haven’t found one video online describing this method. Usually something as simple as this is found with a simple Google search. Most people drop one side of the exhaust or pull down on it. You may be the only person on earth that knows what you describe. I’m trying to find the shop manual procedure to see what it says. Thanks for the info, I’m curious if this actually works. How many have you done like this? Maybe you got a unicorn where the exhaust was for some reason 1/2” lower?
It actually works. I have done quite a few. Never touch the exhaust. I unbolt the heat shield, Pull the plug, use a Mity Vac to remove most of the fluid, unbolt the pan, clock it /drop it. Then pull the filter, let drain 30 min or so, wipe everything clean, reverse and do the fill procedure. Blue label Mobil 1.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
It actually works. I have done quite a few. Never touch the exhaust. I unbolt the heat shield, Pull the plug, use a Mity Vac to remove most of the fluid, unbolt the pan, clock it /drop it. Then pull the filter, let drain 30 min or so, wipe everything clean, reverse and do the fill procedure. Blue label Mobil 1.
From what I’m reading I think the service manual says drop the exhaust at the manifolds. But can’t find it right now. If what you say works you could sell this tip at a premium. Haha… If I ever do another one of these I’ll try what you say.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
From what I’m reading I think the service manual says drop the exhaust at the manifolds. But can’t find it right now. If what you say works you could sell this tip at a premium. Haha… If I ever do another one of these I’ll try what you say.
Techs would never make hrs if they ever went by the service manuals hahaha.

D19

Reaction score
You also can’t refill it without removing the heat shield. The pan comes out pretty easily just wiggle it around I didn’t have to move my exhaust at all contrary to what many of the professionals on YouTube had to say.

While you’re down there takeoff the thermostat and get yourself one of those Transgo kits.

Must be a fuel efficiency thing but I can’t believe they would not send fluid through the cooler till I got 185° that’s already too hot for daily driving in my opinion.

I towed up to the river yesterday and my trans never got over 165. It used to run 185 -200 unloaded

975F6AAD-5F95-49EE-B4F4-45EAAA2CE22B.jpeg

bk2drvr

Reaction score
You also can’t refill it without removing the heat shield. The pan comes out pretty easily just wiggle it around I didn’t have to move my exhaust at all contrary to what many of the professionals on YouTube had to say.

While you’re down there takeoff the thermostat and get yourself one of those Transgo kits.

Must be a fuel efficiency thing but I can’t believe they would not send fluid through the cooler till I got 185° that’s already too hot for daily driving in my opinion.

I towed up to the river yesterday and my trans never got over 165. It used to run 185 -200 unloaded

View attachment 1115854
Yep I’m doing that mod today.

Reactions: D19