WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The good old days - 2002 LA Boat Show

JB in so cal

Reaction score
Nice. Mullets, hot boat t shirts and 3g flip phones! One of the first magic deck boats too.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Remember in those days there were shirts everywhere that said "Bo know this, or Bo knows that?" As I was walking into the show, some dude was walking out wearing a shirt that said...

"Bo knows your girlfriend"

I thought that was funny as hell! lol

boatpi

Reaction score
One time back in the day the skipper Alan Hale Junior was hired to promote the show on opening day.

hallett3

Reaction score
loved the LA boat shows. My dad and I would go every year. My dad bought his 1977 sea ray from LA boat show, and still has it today. I bought my first boat there. 1979 Nordic jet boat. I was 18 years old. Now I own a 21 Hallett vector that was on display 1990 LA boat show.
1609722100557.png

floatn turd

Reaction score
header_main_image_2.jpg

I personally wish that could send back ol' Arnold to that show.

So, he could "Terminate" all who sold those snazzy new bolt on ski towers!!

Like Skynet coming on-line, only to sew the seeds of mans destruction.

It was those very towers that would later give rise to the Vessels that would destroy smooth water & docks on every waterway across this planet.

The Fucking Wakeboard Boat!!!

FT
😁

Last edited:

FreeBird236

Reaction score
they just got paid off haha
That last Eliminator Daytona on the video, looks like the 2001 26 that's on EBOG right now, although not the original owner.

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
My boat was considered used in 2002 but if I was a betting man I would bet it is in better shape today than 95% of anything from 2002.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Man I miss those big shows with so many more builders.... this shows how many have gone bye bye.... I used to go for entire day back in early 2000s now that Pomona thing is an hour and a beer.

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score
Lol. I was there in the frst 40 sec with the hood up with jumper cables hooked to the skater trailer to lay it flat. I drove the pilot truck. Only way we could drive it across the border then into Cal per the permit. I was scrambling the night before we rolled there for a strobe light bar. You kno the kind before LED? Lol. Crazy. 19 yrs ago. Time flies.

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
One time back in the day the skipper Alan Hale Junior was hired to promote the show on opening day.
We used to have a number of different celebrities help promote the L.A. Show. Chick Hearn of the Lakers did our radio and TV spots (he was a great sport because we used to have him do some pretty crazy stuff and his signature sign-off line -- "Don't Miss the Boat.....Show!" Alan Hale was another great Show guest, so was Ashley Force and so was morning-drive Bill Handel from KFI radio. And Leon "Motorman" Kaplan from KABC. But probably the best was Robert W. Morgan (who was an avid bass fisherman) and his morning radio sidekick Joanie in her 'red dress'. We never got Rick Dees to the show but he was a big supporter of the event and proud owner of a Carrera boat.

old rigger

Reaction score

He'd be at the shows most nights, roaming around and posing for pictures for anyone that wanted one. Super nice guy. Sometimes he'd be in his Skipper outfit with kids surrounding him, he truly seemed to love the attention.

Shows were lots of fun back in the day, 70s-80s-90s. My favorite shows were the Anaheim events when I was working for Roger. That guy could fucking party.

00a0a_lhHRwXD6Iyu_600x450.jpg

Reaction score
at the beginning of vid, the Mandella behind the t-bird made the whole show for me...

but to each his own.

rrrr

Reaction score
Between 1998 and 2005 or thereabouts the Dallas Boat Show was massive. My buddy Randy and I looked forward to it for weeks, and it took two days to look over everything. Some vendors, for example Viking, Cruisers, and Sea Ray, would each bring three or four boats between 40' and 50'.

We looked at every display and booth, from the biggest all the way down to the guy selling the magic aluminum welding rods that could fix anything made of the metal.

Now it's not worth going to even if you have free tickets

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
He'd be at the shows most nights, roaming around and posing for pictures for anyone that wanted one. Super nice guy. Sometimes he'd be in his Skipper outfit with kids surrounding him, he truly seemed to love the attention.

Shows were lots of fun back in the day, 70s-80s-90s. My favorite shows were the Anaheim events when I was working for Roger. That guy could fucking party.

View attachment 958026
That's really cool just don't sign up for a three hour tour, "a three hour tour". 😁

sintax

Reaction score
Man I miss those big shows with so many more builders.... this shows how many have gone bye bye.... I used to go for entire day back in early 2000s now that Pomona thing is an hour and a beer.

isnt that truth. I'm thinking I spend more time talking to the beer chicks then actually looking at boats. I'm just thankful they have beer booths at both ends of the halls, so you can get one on the way in, and on the way out.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
View attachment 957844

I personally wish that could send back ol' Arnold to that show.

So, he could "Terminate" all who sold those snazzy new bolt on ski towers!!

Like Skynet coming on-line, only to sew the seeds of mans destruction.

It was those very towers that would later give rise to the Vessels that would destroy smooth water & docks on every waterway across this planet.

The Fucking Wakeboard Boat!!!

FT
😁

Yeah but the boats back then were tame compared to today's Wake Tugs. Last year's boat show the Pavati (or whatever its called) had a 25' or 26' boat that weighed like 6,000 pounds but had 8,000 pounds of ballast. (or vice versa). Either way, the boats have so much ballast capacity these days they throw wakes like tug boats.

And then there's the driver who thinks its required to drive everywhere with the ballast tanks full regardless if they are towing anybody or just going to the fuel dock. They should make wakeboard boats where the ballast automatically empties unless you hold your finger on the pumps button(s).

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
It was a two visit deal for me back then. All the boats and all of the vendors in the other building, I used to walk out of there with so much stuff.

HB2LHC

Reaction score
My pops ordered his 27 Daytona at that show. He still has the boat today. Great memories as a kid at that show helping my dad spend his money ha ha.

Reactions: DWC

Taboma

Reaction score

View attachment 958026

Was fishing a "Harvey's" Marlin Tournament being held at The Catalina Isthmus in the early 90's (Best I can recall, I fished so many in those days). Thought it was cool when they announced Alan Hale was a guest MC. First problem, Alan was pretty shit-faced when he took the stage. The 2nd problem was, this being the awards dinner and presentation following the last day of fishing after a two day tournament, in some rather unkind seas, meant some serious drinking by the already worn out and beat up contestant teams.
Didn't take but a few fuck-ups on Alan's part, before some ribbing started by some of the mouthy drunks. Alan didn't take the ribbing well, so gave some back, which only fueled the fire. Didn't take long before Alan was getting booed and said fuck-off and walked off the stage. Having grown up watching Gilligan's island, I felt sorry for him, plus I'd recalled seeing him at the boat shows where he seemed very nice.

old rigger

Reaction score
Was fishing a "Harvey's" Marlin Tournament being held at The Catalina Isthmus in the early 90's (Best I can recall, I fished so many in those days). Thought it was cool when they announced Alan Hale was a guest MC. First problem, Alan was pretty shit-faced when he took the stage. The 2nd problem was, this being the awards dinner and presentation following the last day of fishing after a two day tournament, in some rather unkind seas, meant some serious drinking by the already worn out and beat up contestant teams.
Didn't take but a few fuck-ups on Alan's part, before some ribbing started by some of the mouthy drunks. Alan didn't take the ribbing well, so gave some back, which only fueled the fire. Didn't take long before Alan was getting booed and said fuck-off and walked off the stage. Having grown up watching Gilligan's island, I felt sorry for him, plus I'd recalled seeing him at the boat shows where he seemed very nice.

I didn't want to say anything but at the closing nights of the some boat shows I remember him being pretty blotto. In fact from the last time I saw him I have an image stuck in my head of him shuffling off out of the show in his Skipper outfit, pant legs shredded in the rear where they were too long, half heartedly waving to us as we broke down some of our displays.

He seemed so old too, hell I'm only 4 years younger now than he was when he passed in 1990. He was 68.

Taboma

Reaction score
I didn't want to say anything but at the closing nights of the some boat shows I remember him being pretty blotto. In fact from the last time I saw him I have an image stuck in my head of him shuffling off out of the show in his Skipper outfit, pant legs shredded in the rear where they were too long, half heartedly waving to us as we broke down some of our displays.

He seemed so old too, hell I'm only 4 years younger now than he was when he passed in 1990. He was 68.

I hadn't realized he passed in 90'. Obviously this wasn't early 90's, but most likely mid to later 80's then when I saw him. After fishing those marlin tournaments for 15 years, they all tend to run together.
Between the booze and apparently his declining health, he didn't look good that's for sure.

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
If you lived in Los Angeles in the '60s, '70s and '80s you could see "The Skipper" almost any night of the week at his restaurant, "The Lobster Barrel" on La Cienega Blvd. It finally closed in the mid-'80s after which "The Skipper" opened a travel agency which he operated until his passing.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Crazy how many options there were for a 21. Some of those small cats would kick ass now from the new outboards. That advantage was begging for a pair of 300rs.

Waterheater

Reaction score
Lol. I was there in the frst 40 sec with the hood up with jumper cables hooked to the skater trailer to lay it flat. I drove the pilot truck. Only way we could drive it across the border then into Cal per the permit. I was scrambling the night before we rolled there for a strobe light bar. You kno the kind before LED? Lol. Crazy. 19 yrs ago. Time flies.

We have meet. I was there, that's me wiping the trim tab off on Lick This. I remember Chris and you saying how freaked out you guy's were driving it in. I was there with Rich. We brought the two blonde's that sat out by the boat most of the day.

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score
We have meet. I was there, that's me wiping the trim tab off on Lick This. I remember Chris and you saying how freaked out you guy's were driving it in. I was there with Rich. We brought the two blonde's that sat out by the boat most of the day.
I remember. Long f in time ago. Kinda crazy. At that time no one hardly knew what a Skater was. Lol. First one ever at the LA boat show for sure. I remember a few years prior bringing the all white 36 to Havasu and everyone was like wtf is that. especially after we annihilated the Anaconda boat from vegas. I believe we made a pass right at 150 that day with a best ever of 167 in the 36. How times have changed. I rem going to dinner with Al Burns, Peter Hledin, Chris and myself after the first day there and on a chemically induced 36 hr stretch and Peter was like there is an entirely new and diff market here in the west. Als new boat was being built at the time. Sorry for all the rant but it was fun times and i have not thought or talked abt it in ages.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
I bought my first Baja at the boat show. Fuckers at the dealer booth started feeding me margarita's. 🤪 After a couple, three of them it was pretty easy to write that check!

jetur

Reaction score
Holy white rub rail. I forgot that was a the shit back then.

getreal

Reaction score
2 for me at the show. I had the White/Blue 34' Magic for a couple years, have the E-Ticket right now.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Around the 14:40 mark, was that Danny's Carrera? Blown