WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The "Greatest Generation" is getting smaller

4Waters

Reaction score
My Grandmother passed away this morning at 97, she was the first generation born in the United States on my mom's side. Both her parents immigrated here from Sicily, one before WWI and the other just as WWI was starting. RIP Grandma šŸ˜„

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Sorry for your lose. My Grandmother, on my mothers side, was born in a log cabin around 1899 and lived to be 103 + -. My Grandfather went to work for the railroad in 1920 and worked there until 1968. The stories they would tell. Truly the Greatest Generation.

Mototrig

Reaction score
Rest in peace Gramma. 97 years is a life and a half for some people (most the the men on my father's side). What a wealth of knowledge lost forever. Sorry for your loss

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Very sorry to hear this. You are right that we are loosening some of the best people that this country has ever had.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
97 is a good life, and one that was truly full of adventure like nothing we have seen. For you and your family it's sad she has moved on. For the world in general, it's sad that her stories have gone away as well.

RIP...a rest well earned it sounds :(

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss itā€™s a tough time of year to go through this, prayers and thought for you and yours.

farmo83

Reaction score
My condolences to your family.

My grandfather was born in 1920 while horses and mule's were the primary mode of transportation. Less then 50 years later people walked on the moon. The internet is cool but I don't think anything we will do will top that. Truly the greatest generation.

Wasnā€™t Me

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss..... I have to say I agree with the loss of a different generation for sure. Like you I just lost my grandmother as well last week.... She was one salty tough old lady. Refused to move out of Pico Rivera, lived alone taking care of her self and made it to 94..!! Went in her sleep while sitting in her favorite chair that was probably as old as she was.! The older generation was just from such a different time.. Kind of make me feel like a bit of wimp some times... RIP Grandmas.!!

rush1

Reaction score
That was the Best generation, sorry for your loss

4Waters

Reaction score
Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers everyone.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
RIP to your grandmother. Just spoke with my only living grandparent yesterday; sheā€™s also 97 but will be 98 on Feb 4. Sheā€™s seen it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duramax

Reaction score
My Grandmother passed away this morning at 97, she was the first generation born in the United States on my mom's side. Both her parents immigrated here from Sicily, one before WWI and the other just as WWI was starting. RIP Grandma šŸ˜„
I talk about this a lot with my wife. Absolutely the greatest. Sorry for your loss.

cole_skier

Reaction score
RIP thoughts and prayers sent to you and your family. Lost both my parents this year from the ā€œGreatest Generationā€. Glad my kids where able to see what it is to be a good person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlowMe

Reaction score
Words never do any justice....but im sorry for your loss

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Sorry for you loss.
Maybe around Xmas dinner everyone tells their favorite memory or story about her, moment of silence followed by a sip of her favorite drink (even if itā€™s Earl Grey tea).
Keep her alive in your mind and heart..

One2go

Reaction score
Sorry to hear,Yes that is/was the greatest generation.RIP

dezrtracer

Reaction score
So sorry .. Wishing you and your family all the best in this tough time . I love hearing stories from that generation , they did alot and saw alot .