WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The Hamlett Project

Hammer

Reaction score
I picked up a 1990 Hallett Vector that had been sitting in a garage for 3 years. Definitely a garage find. It needs some TLC, but nothing major that I can find so far.

Here are the specs...

1990 Hallett Vector
2 bolt main 468
MSD Ignition
Bravo 1 w/23p Mirage 3 Blade
Mayfair Steering

Took it for a shakedown run in Parker this past weekend after changing all the fluids and Impeller. Ran in the low 70's and the RPM's were right around 5500 if I remember correctly. I only ran it up there once or twice to see how the hull would react as I didn't want to stay in it too long and burn down a motor I hadn't even done a compression check on yet. Anyhow, It ran great and performed beyond my expectations. A few mechanical issues with the tab gauges and the carb but other than that it went well. :thumbup:

To Do list.
1. Purchase a Cover
3. Remove all interior including hatch
4. Full detail on Gel
5. re locate speakers
6. secure all loose wires and hoses
8. Address minor wiring issues
9. Fix and reinstall hatch cover and panels
10. Add Velcro to seats to keep them secure
11. Vacuum and steam clean the carpet
12. Re glue carpet to front bulkhead
13. Fabricate a support under deck for bumpers
14. replace elastic/bungee on side panel pockets
15. add a waterproof type glove box on both driver and passenger side for personal belongings/registration. etc..
16. cup holders
17. Install new face to Nordskog Speedo Gauge
18. Replace 4'' Exhaust tubes.
19. polish exhaust tips
20. Cam, Intake and a new Carb (already have this)
21. Pop up Cleats and flush mount gas caps
22. swim steps

This is the initial list that will happen immediately. Pop up cleats and other cosmetic items will happen casually. I still want to use the boat this summer. I will address gel work touch up and repair after the season is over. I'll take some pics this afternoon. should be a fun project. :thumbup:

Hammer

Reaction score
Dropped off the new power plant at the machine shop this morning. Not sure if I will install it this season or not. It is a blown 496 we have had for years, I have a complete motor pan to carb. Nothing crazy for a blower, this boat doesn't need a lot of power to run well. It's a small Weiand Street Blower deal. The engine package is proven and ran extremely well in its previous application. I will address the Outdrive concerns as we move forward and I get closer to actually installing the new power plant. :thumbup:

Engine Management Systems ? What are your thoughts ? I'd like to convert the Engine I end up with over to EFI if it is possible, I have a complete MEFI 4 wiring harness and computer. Can I implement this down the road? What would be needed and what are your recommendations? I'd like to monitor the system myself rather than call someone to fix it if I have an issue. After messing with the carb all weekend I want to throw the carb in the trash and go the EFI route next winter. Would like to get pricing together so I can budget accordingly

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
What exactly does blown mean? [emoji4]

Hammer

Reaction score
Took some pics yesterday and found the hour meter hidden under the dash...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428417226.943629.jpg

Hydraulic all the way to the helm...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428417277.659560.jpg

Going to remove the diamond plate and install something custom, will also integrate the speakers into the bulkhead I think.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428417500.177572.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428417534.525944.jpg

Burned a while in the exhaust tube. Water was getting on the distributor and creating a dead cylinder. Tried taping it to nurse her back home. Tape lasted maybe 5 minutes. Lol
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428417572.128613.jpg

Shot of the motor, valve covers and spark arrestor will be replaced. Carb and Intake as well.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428417751.476526.jpg

Hammer

Reaction score
I'm also going to remove the factory hatch ram. I always thought they looked tacky and always seem to be in the way when you need to work on the boat. Not sure what type of system I will implement, the dana assemblies are really nice but may be to "high end" for this project

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428417959.959453.jpg

The T is the fuel line. It needs to be secured to the transom

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428418104.908825.jpg

Oil filter set up is pretty trick. Easily accessible as well. The other metal filter you see is for the power steering
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428418292.244073.jpg

Overhead shot of all the braided lines for the cooling and fuel system
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428418431.276164.jpg

As you see here the scoop needs to be reinstalled as well as the vinyl pad. I have both the vinyl needs to be re stapled. I may replace the carpet on the underside of the scoop while I'm at it
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428418557.559513.jpg

All the bungees on the panel pockets are stretched out. They need to be replaced. Other than that the interior is practically new. All the seat bases were recently replaced.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428418734.175548.jpg

Hammer

Reaction score
Mayfair steering with a Bravo. Not sure what gear ratio. One ram has a leak which I will address.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428420070.385551.jpg

Undecided on how im going to approach the lower unit. Either a new lower or add a nose cone to existing and cut the chipped part of the skeg for now. Either way it needs to be addressed.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428420185.286105.jpg

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
The slag can be repaired Mike. Why spend all the money on fuel injection? Just rebuild the carb and it will be good for years. Mine go for 4-5 after each rebuild.
Are you living down here right now?
I really like the boat.

Hammer

Reaction score
The tabs have these trick little find on them. Not sure how well they work, but between that and the strut the boat turns phenomenally well.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428423843.672928.jpg

Bottom of the hull has been reworked, the running surface from about forward of the skeg back has been blueprinted and speed coated. It resembles nothing like a typical vector bottom. Tough to see in the pics. It is sitting next to another Vector and the bottoms ate noticeably different.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428423869.823704.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428424463.125950.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428424486.492818.jpg

Hammer

Reaction score
The keel needs some love. No structural issues though.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428424797.678998.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428424823.691985.jpg

Looks like that ring for the bow clip hits the hull when putting the boat on the trailer. It has hit several times. That thing is going to meet my grinder and go by by...

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I had stretched out pockets like yours on my boat, drove me nuts! Tough to replace the elastic in them so what I did was when I had the panels removed, I removed all the staples holding the pockets to the panel and I pulled the pocket tight and then re stapled them back to the panel. They look perfect now.

Hammer

Reaction score
That's all for the pictures hoping to get started on it when I get back in town towards the end of the week.

I'm contemplating pulling the carpet back on the floors I have a feeling the wood is starting to go. I'm afraid if I do that the boat won't see the water this summer. [emoji53]

Hammer

Reaction score
I also know that I will be changing the passenger seat back to the ski race observer set up. At least be able to have it face either direction

Hammer

Reaction score
I had stretched out pockets like yours on my boat, drove me nuts! Tough to replace the elastic in them so what I did was when I had the panels removed, I removed all the staples holding the pockets to the panel and I pulled the pocket tight and then re stapled them back to the panel. They look perfect now.

Thanks! That's what I'm going to do. :cool:Pissed me off something fierce when Id stop and my wallet sun tan lotion and host of other shit was all over the floor. :thumbdown:

MCnParker

Reaction score
That's all for the pictures hoping to get started on it when I get back in town towards the end of the week.

I'm contemplating pulling the carpet back on the floors I have a feeling the wood is starting to go. I'm afraid if I do that the boat won't see the water this summer. [emoji53]

I would check, our 210's floors are going quickly, looks like someone already plated the floors in the engine compartment in the back. Ours are soo soft I am afraid they won't make it through the summer. That is my project for next winter.

Hammer

Reaction score
The slag can be repaired Mike. Why spend all the money on fuel injection? Just rebuild the carb and it will be good for years. Mine go for 4-5 after each rebuild.
Are you living down here right now?
I really like the boat.

I'm back in your hood, Living in Valencia.
I have some of the components for EFI. Might be cool to implement it on this project one day. Just spit balling ideas.

Who can fix the Skeg? I also want to put a nose cone on the lower unit...

Thanks. Dave I dig it too. I'll never sell it. Just add to the fleet one day. :thumbup:

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
I'm back in your hood, Living in Valencia.
I have some of the components for EFI. Might be cool to implement it on this project one day. Just spit balling ideas.

Who can fix the Skeg? I also want to put a nose cone on the lower unit...

Thanks. Dave I dig it too. I'll never sell it. Just add to the fleet one day. :thumbup:

Teague can do it.

Hammer

Reaction score
I would check, our 210's floors are going quickly, looks like someone already plated the floors in the engine compartment in the back. Ours are soo soft I am afraid they won't make it through the summer. That is my project for next winter.

I'm certain the floors need to be addressed. It wouldn't be too big a deal, I'd just have to re carpet it all. Would rather dive into that next winter if I choose to gut it and start from scratch.

MCnParker

Reaction score
I'm certain the floors need to be addressed. It wouldn't be too big a deal, I'd just have to re carpet it all. Would rather dive into that next winter if I choose to gut it and start from scratch.

Sounds like we are in the same boat. :thumbsup

Backlash

Reaction score
Congratulations on the new ride! ;)

Don't dig too deep in the boat until the end of the season. I would fix what you HAVE to fix and try to hold off on anything serious until then. You know how it is....once you start poking around and digging into things, there's no turning back!

Keep a detailed list going and keep stockpiling the parts you want and need (The boat already has some good parts on it!). Then this fall, dig in. ;)

Love the boat and am looking forward to the updates!!

Henry

Hammer

Reaction score
Here's a few more pics from the shakedown run.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428445825.392977.jpg
Going through the washing machine chop between Foxs and the sandbar mid day Saturday seeing what The boat could handle at a decent speed. I was playing with the tabs in this pic.

Surprised how decent it looks in the water considering it needs a good polish and wax job.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428446132.658730.jpg

hallett3

Reaction score
Just got done finishing mine except for the engine. It's going to cost some bucks but it's worth it in the end. I did a little at a time and this is how it turned out. The next thing I'm doing in a Mercury Racing 525.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 363
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 302
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 364

hallett3

Reaction score
Hallett boats did it. I just wanted them to do it cause they know there boats so well. Jim has been so nice to me through out the whole rebuild. I probably could had save a few dollars somewhere else but I went with the new designed seats they have. I had the top of the boat color sanded and buffed out cause mine was dull. Now it looks like glass. By the way love the gel colors on your boat. 

Hammer

Reaction score
Where can I get marine grade carpet in Santa Clarita?

hallett21

Reaction score
Where can I get marine grade carpet in Santa Clarita?

You installing yourself? Maybe Menace Marine has a sample book you could look at? Overtons sells marine carpet I believe. I wonder if Bear Trailers could order it since they are carpeting bunks/catwalks?

Hammer

Reaction score
You installing yourself? Maybe Menace Marine has a sample book you could look at? Overtons sells marine carpet I believe. I wonder if Bear Trailers could order it since they are carpeting bunks/catwalks?

Yes. I am doing it all myself. Would like to get a decent size roll if I decide to replace the floor in the next few weeks.

Also, any particular brand of resin that is preferred for coating wood panels?

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Hmmmm. Didn't want to waste their time with my little project. Thanks. :thumbup:

Don't think like that. Those guys like working on any cool projects as well as projects for the people who have money falling out of their ass LOL They are really helpful when you go in and talk to them.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Congratulations on the new ride! ;)

Don't dig too deep in the boat until the end of the season. I would fix what you HAVE to fix and try to hold off on anything serious until then. You know how it is....once you start poking around and digging into things, there's no turning back!

Keep a detailed list going and keep stockpiling the parts you want and need (The boat already has some good parts on it!). Then this fall, dig in. ;)

Love the boat and am looking forward to the updates!!

Henry

Good advice there

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
Carpet - You might try and see if there's one of those "huge warehouse discount carpet" places in the area, they typically have a big selection of indoor/outdoor carpet. Of course there's always Home Depot & Lowes they always have Gray in stock.

Epoxy & Resin - Look into West Systems. Seen a lot of people use there products over the years on here other boat forums.

Hammer

Reaction score
Carpet - You might try and see if there's one of those "huge warehouse discount carpet" places in the area, they typically have a big selection of indoor/outdoor carpet. Of course there's always Home Depot & Lowes they always have Gray in stock.

Epoxy & Resin - Look into West Systems. Seen a lot of people use there products over the years on here other boat forums.

Thanks. [emoji106]

screaming pete

Reaction score
Hammer, the boat builders always have carpet in stock, and the right stuff.. easy calls to make:thumbsup

Backlash

Reaction score
Hammer,

If you start digging you'll start limiting your chances of enjoying this sled this summer!!! :D

If you get into that floor, you might see something else you want to fix and before you know it, you'll be looking to pull that motor so you can replace your stringers and transom! :D Don't do it brother!!! LMAO

On a serious note, IF you do plan on doing your floor, I would recommend you check with RevChem. Their corporate offices are in Bloomington but they have a small store in San Fernando right off the freeway. They are probably your best bet for quality resin in SoCal. Ask for Jose' or Jason. ;)

RevChem
768 Arroyo Street
San Fernando, California 91340
Retail & Distribution Center

Open 8am ? 5pm | Monday thru Friday

Here is where you have to be careful.

A lot of people will recommend epoxy resin for a repair like this. Epoxy is great don't get me wrong. But there are downsides to it that people don't typically mention.

1. Epoxy resin is slightly more expensive than vinylester resin and close to double the price of polyester resin.

2. Once you start using Epoxy, you limit yourself to the method you can finish the repair. Generally, epoxy needs to be painted because Gelcoat won't adhere to an epoxy part or repair.

3. Your boat was more than likely built using vinylester, so why not stay with what Hallett used. ;)

In my opinion, you would be better off using the vinylester resin as it creates a more tenacious bond than the polyester resin (It's not quite as tenacious as epoxy but it's close), and you can gelcoat over vinylester resin. ;)

You will be able to use pretty much any form of cloth with vinylester too (Mat, cloth, biax, etc.), and I would get that from RevChem as well. Their prices are as good if not better than other places I have tried.

For a floor repair or any other repair for that matter, you could use the 1708 cloth. It's thick and thirsty and it drinks quite a bit of resin but it's easier than laying up individual layers of mat, cloth, mat cloth, etc. It's also multidirectional so you get strength from the orientation of the individual strands used to make the cloth. Pretty cool stuff that's easy to use and lay up. Any time you are laying glass up on a wood surface, you need to start with a layer of mat. That is another reason the 1708 is so easy to work with. The mat is sewn in on the back side. ;)

As far as carpet in this area, you could try giving Howard a call. I don't know if Mike or Gene would sell you enough for your project. Maybe even try Hallett as they work well with their customers.

I hope this helps!! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out!

Oh yeah, don't tear into this thing until AFTER the summer!!!! :D

Henry

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
<------ learning a ton [emoji2][emoji2][emoji106]

Hammer

Reaction score
Hammer,

If you start digging you'll start limiting your chances of enjoying this sled this summer!!! :D

If you get into that floor, you might see something else you want to fix and before you know it, you'll be looking to pull that motor so you can replace your stringers and transom! :D Don't do it brother!!! LMAO

On a serious note, IF you do plan on doing your floor, I would recommend you check with RevChem. Their corporate offices are in Bloomington but they have a small store in San Fernando right off the freeway. They are probably your best bet for quality resin in SoCal. Ask for Jose' or Jason. ;)

RevChem
768 Arroyo Street
San Fernando, California 91340
Retail & Distribution Center

Open 8am ? 5pm | Monday thru Friday

Here is where you have to be careful.

A lot of people will recommend epoxy resin for a repair like this. Epoxy is great don't get me wrong. But there are downsides to it that people don't typically mention.

1. Epoxy resin is slightly more expensive than vinylester resin and close to double the price of polyester resin.

2. Once you start using Epoxy, you limit yourself to the method you can finish the repair. Generally, epoxy needs to be painted because Gelcoat won't adhere to an epoxy part or repair.

3. Your boat was more than likely built using vinylester, so why not stay with what Hallett used. ;)

In my opinion, you would be better off using the vinylester resin as it creates a more tenacious bond than the polyester resin (It's not quite as tenacious as epoxy but it's close), and you can gelcoat over vinylester resin. ;)

You will be able to use pretty much any form of cloth with vinylester too (Mat, cloth, biax, etc.), and I would get that from RevChem as well. Their prices are as good if not better than other places I have tried.

For a floor repair or any other repair for that matter, you could use the 1708 cloth. It's thick and thirsty and it drinks quite a bit of resin but it's easier than laying up individual layers of mat, cloth, mat cloth, etc. It's also multidirectional so you get strength from the orientation of the individual strands used to make the cloth. Pretty cool stuff that's easy to use and lay up. Any time you are laying glass up on a wood surface, you need to start with a layer of mat. That is another reason the 1708 is so easy to work with. The mat is sewn in on the back side. ;)

As far as carpet in this area, you could try giving Howard a call. I don't know if Mike or Gene would sell you enough for your project. Maybe even try Hallett as they work well with their customers.

I hope this helps!! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out!

Oh yeah, don't tear into this thing until AFTER the summer!!!! :D

Henry

Great insight [emoji106]thank you! I will use RevChem and vinyl ester resin.

I won't have the boat in the water 'till after desert storm. I will dig into the floor after the season is over. Same with the seats. However I will be installing some in stock garage items after DS. :thumbup:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428881972.856268.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428881988.663690.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428882005.780497.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428882020.647425.jpg

28skater

Reaction score
Nice Vector Hammer, you might try and contact Barry (Obnoxious Engines) and have him to ask the new owner of my old Vector if he wants to sell the cover it's brand new and I don't think he will be using it!

P1000309.jpg

Hammer

Reaction score
Nice Vector Hammer, you might try and contact Barry (Obnoxious Engines) and have him to ask the new owner of my old Vector if he wants to sell the cover it's brand new and I don't think he will be using it!

View attachment 402044

I will definitely do that. :bowdown: