WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The Kobe thread got me thinking......

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
If given a choice at living a long standard life to 80+ and never having celebrity or riches, just getting by.

OR being a sports star, rock star, high priced actor, rich beyond belief and dying tragically at say 42.

Which would you choose?

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
If given a choice at living a long standard life to 80+ and never having celebrity or riches, just getting by.

OR being a sports star, rock star, high priced actor, rich beyond belief and dying tragically at say 42.

Which would you choose?
Anything over 30 is bonus years. That being said, im not trying to be 80+ shitting myself in a convalescent home.
A standard life is boring. Live fast, eat ass.

TeamGreene

Reaction score
That's easy. 80+ includes a longer life with your wife, kids and seeing them achieve their goals in life and you get to see them have kids of their own. Seeing one of yours hold one of theirs is like nothing I've ever experienced and it just gets better and better. Wouldn't trade any of this for any amount of money. It's truly priceless.

Tank

Reaction score
You know, my dad's 81. Looks and acts like he's in his early 60's. 80 aint what it used to be. I'm older than Kobe was when he died and I've been doing just fine with out fortune and fame. I'm livin' my answer, wouldn't change it.

playdeep

Reaction score
While back I became a Hospice volunteer.
First day of training the first thing they told us is...
You die the way you lived.
Took a while to grasp that thought.After spending time with people in hospice...It resonates...I get it.
2 things for me...
I don't want to die in a retirement home.
Every day is a gift.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
6A363C91-1F9F-413C-B2D1-01C72B14292F.jpeg
E69046A3-F040-43EE-AAC2-D301ECC3CBA5.jpeg
5D6ED038-43D9-43B2-B69F-996D2295566D.jpeg
I have had this week on my calendar for years. This year it just worked out that the family had to stay home. VRBO a house in Utah and ride my snowboard all day. I would like to be 80 someday and still snowboard.

nameisbond

Reaction score
Id rather live to 80. Money is nice, but I like living more. Fame would suck, people bothering you all the time when out in public. No, thanks!

River Runnin

Reaction score
I'm over half way fkn there! .... I could stand win that lottery!!! :confused: :D

Tank

Reaction score

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
80 and not a celebrity/famous/rich. A lot of those people are miserable. Plus, can’t go anywhere without a mob of fans/people pestering them for a damn photo or tell them they are their biggest fan. Have to live in a walled off mansion. Screw that. Anonymous with a few bucks is how I want to live.

Reactions: DWC

Tooned Up

Reaction score
Living till 80 would be an easy option for me. I would much rather create and leave behind a legacy with my wife, kids, and family than try to live in the eye of the public. While I tip my hat to those who do, I prefer to be a hero to my own family than somebody else’s.

farmo83

Reaction score
I have an eternity for the afterlife, I'd like to enjoy my time here as long as possible.

rvrrun

Reaction score
Fate’s done a good job with my life so far, I’ll let her figure that out.

JD D05

Reaction score
Yes - you live close to Park City?

Ya just down in the valley. Leaving for Vegas tomorrow though. If you want to go back country snowmobiling im sure my buddy is guiding this weekend...

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
In this life we don't get to choose how or when. Live every day like it matters. It does

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
80+ with good health and family.

But if I fall off a ladder tomorrow and become a vegetable, I'll take dying rich and young.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Interesting subject looking back on 50 years of work and relation ship , theres very little I'd change

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I'm 42 now, and not rich...
My parents weren't rich either, and niether made it to 65...

Life's been better to me than it should've been at times. I appreciate the days I have. I hope to see my kids grow up, but do what I can to prepare them for the world ahead. Life is a fluid situation, and you never know what's coming in with the tide.

jones performance

Reaction score
i dont know my expiration date, so i just live how i want and hope it goes another day.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
In many folks' eyes you owning toys and toybox trailers puts you in the "rich" category and not just "getting by" as stated by the OP.
It's a subjective level to determine.
Just getting by to me means you do the 8 to 5, go home and watch a 24" tube tv on grandmas hand me down flower fabric sofa while scarfing down a bowl of top ramen and gulping PBR $3.99 36 pack.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Money can not buy you another day nor can it buy you happiness. Infact i have found it to be the more money i make, the less happy i am. I will never be that guy with 17 employees again.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Money can not buy you another day nor can it buy you happiness. Infact i have found it to be the more money i make, the less happy i am. I will never be that guy with 17 employees again.
17 happy souls I bet......:D

J/K;)

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
In many folks' eyes you owning toys and toybox trailers puts you in the "rich" category and not just "getting by" as stated by the OP.
Just getting by to me means you do the 8 to 5, go home and watch a 24" tube tv on grandmas hand me down flower fabric sofa while scarfing down a bowl of top ramen and gulping PBR $3.99 36 pack.
If that's the case, I'm going out like a Rockstar.
I can't stand flower fabric sofas.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I sort of agree with YB. When I was making what I deemed good money, I was a miserable prick. Now, I don't make much at all...and now I'm a relatively happy prick.

Kind of odd, but all things are relative. If you grew up upper class, than having a condo and a used car is barely getting buy. If you grew up "dirt floor poor", you're sitting pretty. If you've been from well off, to counting change for gas to get to work, suddenly it's a different outlook.

And even broke, no PBR...I have my standards;)

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Which is no one.. Everyone has a smartphone with unlimited data. :)

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
The creator of Chuys West of Texas, owned 42 locations was fabulously wealthy.
Rolled his Jeep and paralyzed.
I'm ok with My GMC Dually and Crankshaft manor.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I sort of agree with YB. When I was making what I deemed good money, I was a miserable prick. Now, I don't make much at all...and now I'm a relatively happy prick.

Kind of odd, but all things are relative. If you grew up upper class, than having a condo and a used car is barely getting buy. If you grew up "dirt floor poor", you're sitting pretty. If you've been from well off, to counting change for gas to get to work, suddenly it's a different outlook.

And even broke, no PBR...I have my standards;)
As I said, it's a subjective level to determine, everyone's perspective is different.

squeezer

Reaction score
No Contest...

Give me 50 more years with my kids!

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
If you're a gold card carrying RiverDaver you should be dead by 50 of liver failure. If you're over 50 and still kicking go have another drink. :D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I think I’d rather have the money and the age personally. Lol

wallnutz

Reaction score
I am a narcissist give me the money and fame! Oh wait I’m over 50 now so give me until 80 or more.:p

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I always had the James Dean mentality...

Live fast, die Young, leave a good looking corpse.

When I got to 28, I really couldn't believe it. With all the drugs and booze, sports and women I had done, it was a miracle I'd lived that long.

So I settled down, bought a house got married and had some kids. That program changed Everything. I love my kids more life it's self now. They are a joy to me every day. But at 62 with the life I have lived, pretty much Everything hurts! I'll be addicted to morphine if I do live to 80. Age does not come alone.

So knowing what I know now?

I'd take the rock star money and be dead at 40. I'd never get married or have kids. It would be a fast and fun filled ride.

:cool:

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Ya just down in the valley. Leaving for Vegas tomorrow though. If you want to go back country snowmobiling im sure my buddy is guiding this weekend...

Wish I knew you were this close and hit you up earlier. I come out here quite a bit in the winter and will contact in advance next time. Friends are rolling into town for the weekend. After riding 6 straight days I feel 80. :D

JD D05

Reaction score
Wish I knew you were this close and hit you up earlier. I come out here quite a bit in the winter and will contact in advance next time. Friends are rolling into town for the weekend. After riding 6 straight days I feel 80. :D

Ya no worries, if you need any food etc recommendations let me know. I rode 4 days in Whistler last weekend and it killed me. I just followed you on IG...

Reactions: SJP

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
How was it.
Heading to Park City Feb 18-21 to snowboard

Awesome. They have a ton of snow and have been getting a little every night I have been here. I ride during Sundance every year so the mountain is empty. Great time to be here if you plan ahead and can deal with the crowds at night. Nothing like a Havasu holiday so it does not even phase me. I think we will be back the weekend before you are here. Enjoy!