WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The lake may be a thing of the past

Magic34

Reaction score
We've finally started using the boat again after taking a couple years off getting the business started. However, we didn't go to the lake, we took it to San Diego. The wife says the boat has a new permanent home and I cant disagree with her. It's 72 degrees every dang day in the bay. She's even talking a bigger boat in a slip in a year or 2. Cant complain about that either. We just went 3 consecutive weekends and we are loving it. Met some new friends too!

Who knows, maybe we'll get sick of it, then again, maybe not.

cover.jpg
j driving.jpg
air out.jpg
cays.jpg
cays2.jpg

Last edited:

blacksox

Reaction score
Cool cruiser. I've always wanted a tiara or something similar to bar hop or head to the island for the weekend. Congrats!!! Keep the pics coming.:thumbsup

Magic34

Reaction score
Couple more chart.jpg

downtown night.jpg

side 2.jpg

This one is the Luna, it's on the 100 largest mega yacht list.
luna.jpg

marriott.jpg

cays 3.jpg

Last edited:

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Nice. And people wonder why we pay what we pay for homes close to the ocean.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
The big bay is pretty fun.

Peoes in Coronado has a dock. Great food, there is a slick little outdoor mall there, with a cigar shop.

The Loews Coronado has a big dock, you can tie up and hang out by their pool if you order food and drink in the pool bar.

I think there is a restaurant by the public ramp on Glorietta bay too.

Over by the Convention Center, you can go to Joe's Crab Shack, they have room for 3 boats on their well protected dock. Calimari and beer!

San Diego Seafood up in Point Loma usually has room to tie up and get some great but expensive grub.

If you get brave go out around the point and the kelp beds to Mission Bay. There are a couple hotels, with bars you can tie up to. Barefoot Bar on Paradise point, and possibly the Bahia. the Hilton has a small dock, not sure it will fit your big cruiser though.

We used to just beach it in the sand and run over to the taco shop by the roller coaster for lunch too.

Seaworld has fireworks every night all summer long at 9:55.

You'll have fun for sure. :thumbup:

Magic34

Reaction score
The big bay is pretty fun.

Peoes in Coronado has a dock. Great food, there is a slick little outdoor mall there, with a cigar shop.

The Loews Coronado has a big dock, you can tie up and hang out by their pool if you order food and drink in the pool bar.

I think there is a restaurant by the public ramp on Glorietta bay too.

Over by the Convention Center, you can go to Joe's Crab Shack, they have room for 3 boats on their well protected dock. Calimari and beer!

San Diego Seafood up in Point Loma usually has room to tie up and get some great but expensive grub.

If you get brave go out around the point and the kelp beds to Mission Bay. There are a couple hotels, with bars you can tie up to. Barefoot Bar on Paradise point, and possibly the Bahia. the Hilton has a small dock, not sure it will fit your big cruiser though.

We used to just beach it in the sand and run over to the taco shop by the roller coaster for lunch too.

Seaworld has fireworks every night all summer long at 9:55.

You'll have fun for sure. :thumbup:

Thanks, we love it. We've ate at Bali Hai one night, it was great. Dock space wasn't an issue, friend put his 48' on it and I side tied to him so we boat had room. Peohe's dock seems like it's a little too rough for leaning the boat. We usually stay down in the Cays as our neighbors in Mesa have a house there with dock space for us. We can also stay at the marina we store the boat at, but haven't done that yet. The house is right next to Loews.

When we are out there, we can usually be found in Glorietta on Saturdays from noon until sunset. There's a dock by the yacht club that charges $5 to park for 3 hours, so one day next rip we may do that and walk into downtown coronado for a bit.

We're using the boat more like a condo than boating a ton. The first 2 weekends, we drove all over the place, then I put in $629 of fuel at the dock and decided we should drive around less. Now that we know the area better, we have a pretty fun system down. We'll try Mission one weekend, we took the boat out a couple miles the first 2 weeks, but once you get out there, you kind of just say... Now what? So we headed back in the bay.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I almost bought a 28 silverton with dual 350's... almost...

the ocean is a blast and it'd be nice if it was always in the water.

Yldboyz

Reaction score
My neighbor has one and we take it to Catalina all the time. It rides smooth.

530RL

Reaction score
I see Mesa on your boat. Nice set up. Looks fun.

We rent in the Cay's every year. Thought about buying but other than summer we just did not use it much. So now, just July and August. South Bay is all 5mph max but they rarely enforce it. The trip to Mission is very easy. More options for food and people watching in Mission.

If you are staying in the Cays, the yacht club is very inexpensive to join and inexpensive grub. Nice people.

Consider getting a sea tow card. Very cheap insurance as a tow costs a fortune.

IMG_0461.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

Last edited:

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
Nice boat, we have similar set up. Its the best type of boating IMO.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
We've finally started using the boat again after taking a couple years off getting the business started. However, we didn't go to the lake, we took it to San Diego. The wife says the boat has a new permanent home and I cant disagree with her. It's 72 degrees every dang day in the bay. She's even talking a bigger boat in a slip in a year or 2. Cant complain about that either. We just went 3 consecutive weekends and we are loving it. Met some new friends too!

Who knows, maybe we'll get sick of it, then again, maybe not.

Is that your house in the cays? Edit: just reread and it sounds like its a friend of yours. That's our old house down there. Funny to see it in pics on here.

Last edited:

Goodtime$

Reaction score
IMG_0461.jpg
Love the picture! Generation 450 with ETEC POWER?

Send me some more pictures if you have any to:
[email protected]

Thanks TODD!

Last edited:

Magic34

Reaction score
One thing I have noticed is that boating there feels like it did 15 years ago at the lake. Everyone waves and always has a smile. In Havasu, people think waving and smiling lowers their hardcore status.

Magic34

Reaction score
Is that your house in the cays? Edit: just reread and it sounds like its a friend of yours. That's our old house down there. Funny to see it in pics on here.

Correct. Our neighbors in Mesa have a 2 bedroom condo on the water in the Cays and the house in the pic belongs to some friends, they just got it a month ago.

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
I almost bought a 28 silverton with dual 350's... almost...

the ocean is a blast and it'd be nice if it was always in the water.

x2

Truth of the matter is I have almost bought a lot of boats, but didn't for one reason or another, the top 3 being:

Boat was a (misrepresented) POS

Couldn't agree on a reasonable price

Got out Bid

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Tow it to Sunset Park in HB,, launch her and spend some time with us in Two Harbors.

media_of_the_day_alison.jpg

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Correct. Our neighbors in Mesa have a 2 bedroom condo on the water in the Cays and the house in the pic belongs to some friends, they just got it a month ago.

Cool hope they like it! :thumbup:

The cays is an awesome place, and that house is in a great spot.

Last edited:

530RL

Reaction score

:thumbup: Great house, great location. We looked at it last summer before deciding just to rent forever.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
I want to get our Ocean Cat down to SD for a month maybe next summer. What's the best place to rent a slip for a month down there? I need a 15x40.

530RL

Reaction score
I want to get our Ocean Cat down to SD for a month maybe next summer. What's the best place to rent a slip for a month down there? I need a 15x40.

I would call the Marriott Marquis in San Diego Bay. It might be a little pricey, but slip rental includes a place for showering, room service, power, water and if you have some people come down they can stay at the hotel. Also, from there you can walk to anything from baseball games to the Gaslamp. if you go to shelter or Harbor island, to go downtown and drink or go do other activities, you end up having to take a cab or drive and find parking.

Magic34

Reaction score
Tow it to Sunset Park in HB,, launch her and spend some time with us in Two Harbors.

That would be awesome. Maybe next year! I might take you up on that. What is the best month to come out? We'd probably spend 4-5 days and leave out of Dana Point. My kids will be 10 and 7 next summer.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
That would be awesome. Maybe next year! I might take you up on that. What is the best month to come out? We'd probably spend 4-5 days and leave out of Dana Point. My kids will be 10 and 7 next summer.

May through October.
Thanksgiving and New Years are amazing too.

Just boat up to the Harbor Entrance, the middle of the moorings are called the fairway, call the harbor patrol on Ch 9, tell them your length and type of boat and they'll assign a mooring.

Magic34

Reaction score

I've got my homework done on this one.

First choice: Marriott Marina. Location, location, location.... It is in the heart of downtown. You can walk to a number of restaurants and your're right in the middle of the bay. If keeping it at the Marriott, you get Marriott rewards points and if you have a Marriott credit card, and use it to pay, you essentially earn 5x the points. My friend has a 48' at the Marriott and he goes on a full blown 2 week vacation paid for by Marriott every year. He may pay $14k for the slip per year, but that vacation would have run him $5k, so subtract that out and the deal looks pretty sweet.
Another cool thing about the marriott is that you get to use the hotel as a guest would. So pool, gym, all hotel amenities are yours to use. They have a nice pool. The question is can you get in. The marina used to have a long waiting list, but the market kicked that list down, however it is starting to pick up again.

Second Choice (if you like the hotel amenities): Sheraton Marina. Same with the Marriott, you get to use the facilities and the marina at this one is pretty small. Every slip has it's own pump out station which is pretty cool. I think they are more affordable than the Marriott. It is essentially right next to the airport.

Two things about the places above though. You have to pay to park your car if you have/bring one down there and it is $20+/day.

For a Marina with nice facilities, without a doubt Pier 32. It's where I use the marina facilities and storage. It's the newest marina in the bay. They have a pool, gym, decent little restaurant, nice slips, clean bathrooms/showers. You can use the sister marina for a few nights (n o additional charge) if you want in Point Loma and I think they have some others on the coast if I remember what they told me correctly. The only downside to this one is that it is further south from the action in National City, but you'll pay less than other places. It's right by the area where all the import cars come in on ships. The marina is awesome, but other than being at the marina, there is not much more to do in the area. There is a Captains Lounge that is like a 2 room hotel room that can be rented by marina members for friends/family and it has a full kitchen. It is nice. If you need more than 1 room, there is a very nice Best Western just down the street, 1 block and the marina rate is only $100/night. It's one of those premium best western's or whatever they call it. I think Pier 32 is the best deal/secret in the bay.

There are other marinas on Shelter Island you can try, but I have stayed at the marinas I listed above and give you first hand knowledge from my experience.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score

First choice: Marriott Marina. Location, location, location.... It is in the heart of downtown. You can walk to a number of restaurants and your're right in the middle of the bay. If keeping it at the Marriott, you get Marriott rewards points and if you have a Marriott credit card, and use it to pay, you essentially earn 5x the points. My friend has a 48' at the Marriott and he goes on a full blown 2 week vacation paid for by Marriott every year. He may pay $14k for the slip per year, but that vacation would have run him $5k, so subtract that out and the deal looks pretty sweet.
Another cool thing about the marriott is that you get to use the hotel as a guest would. So pool, gym, all hotel amenities are yours to use. They have a nice pool. The question is can you get in. The marina used to have a long waiting list, but the market kicked that list down, however it is starting to pick up again.

Second Choice (if you like the hotel amenities): Sheraton Marina. Same with the Marriott, you get to use the facilities and the marina at this one is pretty small. Every slip has it's own pump out station which is pretty cool. I think they are more affordable than the Marriott. It is essentially right next to the airport.

Two things about the places above though. You have to pay to park your car if you have/bring one down there and it is $20+/day.

For a Marina with nice facilities, without a doubt Pier 32. It's where I use the marina facilities and storage. It's the newest marina in the bay. They have a pool, gym, decent little restaurant, nice slips, clean bathrooms/showers. You can use the sister marina for a few nights (n o additional charge) if you want in Point Loma and I think they have some others on the coast if I remember what they told me correctly. The only downside to this one is that it is further south from the action in National City, but you'll pay less than other places. It's right by the area where all the import cars come in on ships. The marina is awesome, but other than being at the marina, there is not much more to do in the area. There is a Captains Lounge that is like a 2 room hotel room that can be rented by marina members for friends/family and it has a full kitchen. It is nice. If you need more than 1 room, there is a very nice Best Western just down the street, 1 block and the marina rate is only $100/night. It's one of those premium best western's or whatever they call it. I think Pier 32 is the best deal/secret in the bay.

There are other marinas on Shelter Island you can try, but I have stayed at the marinas I listed above and give you first hand knowledge from my experience.

I just printed this out. Perfect.

Chestah Cheetah

Extra Medium
Reaction score
SPAM: Howard For Sale :D

It's funny this thread came up as I have been thinking hard about buying an ocean boat and taking advantage of the Bay here. I work 2 blocks from a slip where I can keep it and live maybe 15 minutes walking distance to the marina at home. Can you say ultimate commute?

Our problem up here is weather. Even in the summer, it's just not San Diego. This is the main reason I have the Bullet - to hit the warm lakes.

Mardonzi

Pull!! Bnag!! Loss!!
Reaction score

X2 on the Marriott Marina. I lived there for 18 months while I was working down there and the amenities are fantastic. All the restaraunts in Seaport Village, Busters Beach House, and of course, the Gaslamp. Bike taxi's right out in front of the convention center will take you anywere around downtown.
You can have room service delivered right down to your boat. We used to take the tender and just cruise the docks on the weekend with a cooler and party hop from party to party.. Lots of fun.

milkmoney

Reaction score

if I pay for the months slip, can I get use of the time on the boat????? of course with you there and driving it..:thumbup:

no rivermobster:D otherwise, I got nothing:)

edit:this time I am sorry for threadjack:)

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
if I pay for the months slip, can I get use of the time on the boat????? of course with you there and driving it..:thumbup:

no rivermobster:D otherwise, I got nothing:)

edit:this time I am sorry for threadjack:)

Sure. I need someone to keep things clean and I know how you are with that. :)

Magic34

Reaction score
SPAM: Howard For Sale :D

It's funny this thread came up as I have been thinking hard about buying an ocean boat and taking advantage of the Bay here. I work 2 blocks from a slip where I can keep it and live maybe 15 minutes walking distance to the marina at home. Can you say ultimate commute?

Our problem up here is weather. Even in the summer, it's just not San Diego. This is the main reason I have the Bullet - to hit the warm lakes.

LOL... For us, we live in Phoenix and going to Havasu in the summer was like leaving hell, going to the pits of hell for 3 days and then back to hell. 115 degrees in town, to 120 in Havasu and back to 115 offered little to be desired after the "newness" of vacationing in Havasu.

Now in San Diego, it's a lot more work how much of a freak I am cleaning the boat, but I don't mind it at all because I am working on the boat when it is 70 degrees at noon, not 107 at 11:00 pm.

If I lived close to the ocean, I don't know how much I'd actually use it since the novelty of it might wear off. For now, we're in love with 70 degrees and our setup in San Diego/Coronado makes us very happy. The next step after a year or 2 will be 40'+ in a slip. That would save me about 6 hours overall per trip in what I do for my launch/load/cleanup.

530RL

Reaction score
We've been doing the Coronado/Cays deal for a decade. The wife goes for the summer but my work does not allow that much time away. We rented for an extended time one year but only used it for July and August.

Before you settle in Coronado or San Diego Bay, check out Newport. Being closer to Catalina is sometimes nice especially if you have a bigger boat.

Parker is for the winter, when no one is there. :thumbup:

mbrown2

Reaction score
Great thread....we brought our tender home after Memorial and have been boating out in the ocean almost every weekend since Memorial and have not been back to the river since....

I don't see a big boat in the near future...too much $$ at this point for me when you add everything up and boat like want to....but definitely looking at a 23-35 center console that with a 4 stroke outboard that sips gas and goes 30-40 miles out fish and back and still have a 3rd of gas left ....

I love river boating in the Spring and Fall...but man love the ocean in the summer..

Last edited:

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
LOL... For us, we live in Phoenix and going to Havasu in the summer was like leaving hell, going to the pits of hell for 3 days and then back to hell. 115 degrees in town, to 120 in Havasu and back to 115 offered little to be desired after the "newness" of vacationing in Havasu.

Now in San Diego, it's a lot more work how much of a freak I am cleaning the boat, but I don't mind it at all because I am working on the boat when it is 70 degrees at noon, not 107 at 11:00 pm.

If I lived close to the ocean, I don't know how much I'd actually use it since the novelty of it might wear off. For now, we're in love with 70 degrees and our setup in San Diego/Coronado makes us very happy. The next step after a year or 2 will be 40'+ in a slip. That would save me about 6 hours overall per trip in what I do for my launch/load/cleanup.

I can honestly say after several repairs and a bunch of Diesel fuel (in my case) the newness lasts about 3 years. :) Put enough hours on an ocean boat and you will have repairs for all kinds of shit, that is if you leave the harbor.

Magic34

Reaction score
We've been doing the Coronado/Cays deal for a decade. The wife goes for the summer but my work does not allow that much time away. We rented for an extended time one year but only used it for July and August.

Before you settle in Coronado or San Diego Bay, check out Newport. Being closer to Catalina is sometimes nice especially if you have a bigger boat.

Parker is for the winter, when no one is there. :thumbup:

We're loving the Cays. Although, if I had a house there, I'd see myself in a 38-40' triple outboard center console since we wouldn't be sleeping on the boat anymore. I'd want something fast and fuel efficient, which probably dont go together.

I've done Catalina from Dana Point. It was fun, but going over every weekend or multiple times per month is not cheap on the fuel. I think I see a Catalina trip from San Diego in our future next year. There may be 3-4 boats between us heading up for an extended weekend. Newport is tough because storage is difficult and pricey. The Newport Dunes didn't have room for me, nor did the Lido Dry Stack, and the dry stack was around $750/month if they could get me in. Then the slips are not as available as they are in San Diego. Dana Point is a great marina, but outside of Dana Point, you're at 13 miles from anything to go do, like Newport. I don't think my boat will leave CA and since I am on a trailer, I could see us moving it to Dana Point for a couple months if we choose.

Magic34

Reaction score
I can honestly say after several repairs and a bunch of Diesel fuel (in my case) the newness lasts about 3 years. :) Put enough hours on an ocean boat and you will have repairs for all kinds of shit, that is if you leave the harbor.

Translation: Trade the boat in every 4 years?

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Great thread....we brought our tender home after Memorial and have been boating out in the ocean almost every weekend since Memorial and have not been back to the river since....

I don't see a big boat in the near future...too much $$ at this point for me when you add everything up and boat like want to....but definitely looking at a 23-35 center console that with a 4 stroke outboard that sips gas and goes 30-40 out fish and back and still have a 3rd of gas left ....

I love river boating in the Spring and Fall...but man love the ocean in the summer..

Did we see you leave Alamitos Bay last Saturday around 1:30 or so?

Magic34

Reaction score

I don't see a big boat in the near future...too much $$ at this point for me when you add everything up and boat like want to....but definitely looking at a 23-35 center console that with a 4 stroke outboard that sips gas and goes 30-40 out fish and back and still have a 3rd of gas left ....

You'd be surprised. A Sea Ray 29 Sundancer can be a great weekend boat on the water and put it on the trailer at the end of the weekend. You can get a nice one in the high $40s, low $50s with twin 350s. My brother has one, but it is a lake boat, not ocean because he is scared of the salt.

Sea Rays are a dime a dozen and a 29 can go on the trailer or the 32 Sundancer is an awesome weekend boat to leave in the slip.

Right now, I like the trailer possibility because of we get bored, the options remain completely option with minimal hassle.

Magic34

Reaction score
LOL, No. Where did that rust come from? Thats just the beginning. :D

Everyone thinks my boat is brand new. That has me a little worried. LOL It's on 05 and every single person I see comments on how clean it is. I'm either really good at keep it clean or I'm an ocean newbie. I got the full cover to keep the salt off when not in use.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Everyone thinks my boat is brand new. That has me a little worried. LOL It's on 05 and every single person I see comments on how clean it is. I'm either really good at keep it clean or I'm an ocean newbie. I got the full cover to keep the salt off when not in use.

The weirdest stuff will corrode. Its the nature of the beast. Just say on it. I've read your threads long enough to know your stuff is always near perfect.

mbrown2

Reaction score
Did we see you leave Alamitos Bay last Saturday around 1:30 or so?

Yeah...that was us...we had just left Schooners...what boat were you and were you coming in the inlet?

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Yeah...that was us...we had just left Schooners...what boat were you and were you coming in the inlet?

Yes. Watching that Outer limits and the Rockstar boat running around the inlet at 15 mph. Your tender is very unique. Remember the pics when you bought it.

Sedan Powercat.

IMG_4263.jpg

Last edited:

mbrown2

Reaction score
You'd be surprised. A Sea Ray 29 Sundancer can be a great weekend boat on the water and put it on the trailer at the end of the weekend. You can get a nice one in the high $40s, low $50s with twin 350s. My brother has one, but it is a lake boat, not ocean because he is scared of the salt.

Sea Rays are a dime a dozen and a 29 can go on the trailer or the 32 Sundancer is an awesome weekend boat to leave in the slip.

Right now, I like the trailer possibility because of we get bored, the options remain completely option with minimal hassle.

I am thinking more 23-25 Sea Hunt or Sea Chaser with OB so the engine won't sit in the water if I leave it overnight....just worry about the hull....also small enough to trailer to the river house and park in slips there....

When I am ready for a bigger boat....it may be a blow boat...38-43...something Italian....love sailing.

Magic34

Reaction score
I am thinking more 23-25 Sea Hunt or Sea Chaser with OB so the engine won't sit in the water if I leave it overnight....just worry about the hull....also small enough to trailer to the river house and park in slips there....

When I am ready for a bigger boat....it may be a blow boat...38-43...something Italian....love sailing.

We're done here. Sailboats suck. :D

Magic34

Reaction score
The weirdest stuff will corrode. Its the nature of the beast. Just say on it. I've read your threads long enough to know your stuff is always near perfect.

Thanks. When we do a boat that we'll leave in the slip, I was going to bottom paint the entire thing. Kind of like the guys who rhino-line their entire truck.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score

I sold my trailer for the 400SS since it just stayed in the water behind the house and i had the Cigarette for any road trips, but there have been a few times that i wished i still had it. ( ill probably get another one)

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
The newness does wear off. We used to hit Mission Bay all the time...after exploring every cove, every restaurant and bar and wakeboarding for Christmas its kinda done.

We then would either run around the point and in to San Diego Bay or launch at Spanish Landing over by Humphries or at Glorietta Bay. Did that for while too....saw most of what there is to see.....Don't be in a rush to explore everything....

Mardonzi had the sweet hookup for sure, that Marriot Marina is an awesome place to be. I wonder if you bought a boat there would you get the slip?

Don't try to short cut it through the kelp bed either...LOL I did meet an old man who made a mount for a bayonet on the front of his outdrive....he would run right through it to the amazement of all watchers...he swore it sliced right through everything. :yikes Just what he told me, didn't witness it.

Having done lots of trips to Mohave, Laughlin, Martinez/Yuma, Parker and Havasu for the past 10 years....I am thinking it may be time for something else altogether.

Magic34

Reaction score
The newness does wear off. We used to hit Mission Bay all the time...after exploring every cove, every restaurant and bar and wakeboarding for Christmas its kinda done.

We then would either run around the point and in to San Diego Bay or launch at Spanish Landing over by Humphries or at Glorietta Bay. Did that for while too....saw most of what there is to see.....Don't be in a rush to explore everything....

Mardonzi had the sweet hookup for sure, that Marriot Marina is an awesome place to be. I wonder if you bought a boat there would you get the slip?

Don't try to short cut it through the kelp bed either...LOL I did meet an old man who made a mount for a bayonet on the front of his outdrive....he would run right through it to the amazement of all watchers...he swore it sliced right through everything. :yikes Just what he told me, didn't witness it.

Having done lots of trips to Mohave, Laughlin, Martinez/Yuma, Parker and Havasu for the past 10 years....I am thinking it may be time for something else altogether.

Guest slips at the Marriott are $90/night, they only have 4. Sheraton is $1/foot and seems more readily available. They will put you in any empty slip they have that will fit your boat.

I could see it getting boring over time and if we didn't have the 40 degree difference in temps, then I could see us doing something else. But... As long as we live in AZ, leaving 110 for 70 will never ever, ever get old.