WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The Name Game -- Who Remembers?

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a boatng challenge for those who would like to play. Over the past 60+ years I've had an opportunity to meet and become acquainted with many memorable west coast boat builders. This is a quick off-the-top-of-my head list (in no particular order) of those who have passed, but deserve to be remembered (some more than others - LOL). Anyone like to add a name or two to this list?

Rudy Ramos (Rayson Craft), Lou Brummett (Mandella), Skip Volk (Aqua Craft), Mac Stevens (Stevens), Howard Brown (Howard), Jack Davidson (Sanger), Rusty Biesmeyer (Biesmeyer), Nick Barron (Hallett), Jim Cole (Cole), Gene Racine (SKV), Roger Weiman (Rogers), Dick Schuster (Tahiti), Leonard Schiada (Schiada), Bob/Billy Campbell (Campbell), Worth Potts (Galaxie), Bob Burns (Cheetah), George Haskell (Haskell), Ray Ledger (Power Cat), Al Lavey/Dale Clarke (Lavey Craft). Orville Somerstedt) (Nordic), Bruck Nescher (Sleekcraft), Bill Holmes (Horizon), Earl Palmer (Stylecraft)..........

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Here's a boatng challenge for those who would like to play. Over the past 60+ years I've had an opportunity to meet and become acquainted with many memorable west coast boat builders. This is a quick off-the-top-of-my head list (in no particular order) of those who have passed, but deserve to be remembered (some more than others - LOL). Anyone like to add a name or two to this list?

Rudy Ramos (Rayson Craft), Lou Brummett (Mandella), Skip Volk (Aqua Craft), Mac Stevens (Stevens), Howard Brown (Howard), Jack Davidson (Sanger), Rusty Biesmeyer (Biesmeyer), Nick Barron (Hallett), Jim Cole (Cole), Gene Racine (SKV), Roger Weiman (Rogers), Dick Schuster (Tahiti), Leonard Schiada (Schiada), Bob/Billy Campbell (Campbell), Worth Potts (Galaxie), Bob Burns (Cheetah), George Haskell (Haskell), Ray Ledger (Power Cat), Al Lavey/Dale Clarke (Lavey Craft). Orville Somerstedt) (Nordic), Bruck Nescher (Sleekcraft), Bill Holmes (Horizon), Earl Palmer (Stylecraft)..........
What about the guy from Advantage Boats. .....Christenson?

guest hs

Reaction score
Bob Patterson of Patterson Boats
Bob leach of Eliminator Boats
Forest Patard of Omega Boats
Jim Baker Of Kona Boats
Can’t think of the builder of Spectra at the moment

old rigger

Reaction score
Jim Baker Of Kona Boats

Bob Leach died?

Jerry Baker.

Jim Sullivan, Bud Bailey and I can't remember the 3rd that owned Spectra.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Jim Baker Of Kona Boats
Isn’t Bob Leach still alive?

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Jim Baker Of Kona Boats
Did Bob Leach pass? I know he had some health concerns but I thought he was still alive and Kickin?

old rigger

Reaction score

Bob, do you know when Dick Schuster passed?

Adding harry to your list I worked for 6 of those guys. Dad worked for Nick and my uncle was Leonard's first employee back when they were all fire men.

Rich Hallett, who's not in that list, I got to meet him when he had his shop in Downey and was building the Harvey Aluminum special for Lee Taylor. I was about 10 but remember he was a very cool guy.

Last edited:

old rigger

Reaction score
Rod Bahner - Bahner Boats. (When he was out)

Spectra was Bud Bailey and Ed Delong

Rod passed too? Damn, last I heard he was living down in Lake Elsinore. Didn't add him to my list of guys I worked for but in a way I did as we finished all of his boats back at Advantage when he went into hiding. Harry and Rod were best friends.

I'm pretty sure Jim Sullivan was #3 in Spectra. Did DeLong come from another shop? That name sounds familiar besides the Spectra deal.

old rigger

Reaction score
Few more smaller shop names popped into my head.

Ray Weiman, Weiman Custom boats and Rogers dad. His hulls were built across the street at Tahiti but he had a cool quonset hut shop that was just down the street from us where I grew up. Sold English motorcycles and wood kit boats in the 50's before the 'glass boat thing exploded.

Tony Hagwood, Anthony Boats. Not to be confused with the Anthony boats in the '60s that are built by the same biz that made Anthony swimming pools. Tony was a rigger at Tahiti and pretty good friends wth my dad for a while. Super nice guy.

Marty Hatchel, Hornet boats. Also a rigger at Tahiti with dad before he went out on his own. Pretty famous 19 foot hull, among other models, that was very competitive in circle racing. I worked with him years later at Howard for a short time. He, like me, had a very warped sense of humor and loved to play practical jokes. Finally got him back one day with some stage blood. I let out a yell, told him I cut myself and he came running over to see my palm and wrist drenched in the phony blood. He was in full panic mode trying to find a clean rag to wrap my hand in until I started laughing. lol he never played another joke on me.

timstoy

Reaction score
Spitfire boats Kelron Racing Dwayne, Toots and Ron Mad Dog Bolton RIP. Bob Bolton is still alive.
Revenge boats Bob Geottle RIP.
Daytona sprint boats Bill Moore RIP, Bob Long who I believe is still alive.
Advantage boats Harry Christenson
D’Cucci boats Don D’Cucci RIP. Joey D’Cucci is still alive.
Biesmyer boats Jillian Pettingill RIP.
We raced K boats for many years and these boats were the major players and drivers. Lots of great memories.

Last edited:

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Bob Leach died?

Jerry Baker.

Jim Sullivan, Bud Bailey and I can't remember the 3rd that owned Spectra.
Bob Leach is still very much alive. I believe Jerry Baker at Kona pased quite a long time ago. Same for Dick Schuster -- can't recall the year but it's been a long time. The other Spectra partner was Ed DeLong.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score

Adding harry to your list I worked for 6 of those guys. Dad worked for Nick and my uncle was Leonard's first employee back when they were all fire men.

Rich Hallett, who's not in that list, I got to meet him when he had his shop in Downey and was building the Harvey Aluminum special for Lee Taylor. I was about 10 but remember he was a very cool guy.
I spent time @ Rich's shop when he was in the same complex as Darrel & Larry's autodynamics. Larry had Rich build him a boat to put on of his 427 cammers in. That thing was viscous.

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Rod passed too? Damn, last I heard he was living down in Lake Elsinore. Didn't add him to my list of guys I worked for but in a way I did as we finished all of his boats back at Advantage when he went into hiding. Harry and Rod were best friends.

I'm pretty sure Jim Sullivan was #3 in Spectra. Did DeLong come from another shop? That name sounds familiar besides the Spectra deal.
Jim Sullivan and Ed DeLong were partners in Spectra Boats. Ed was originally a customer of Campbell Boats (Ed had a 24' Campbell custom flat-deck he raced in POPBRA events in the late 1960s. Ed's primary business was a very successful color film processing lab in the San Fernando valley -- Spectra Color. Ed in his younger years was a very successful wedding photographer. He started the film lab because he couldn't find an existing lab to develop his film and make color wedding prints to his satisfaction. Spectra Color Lab got connected with Playboy because of its excellent quality and did all of their work -- Ed also branched out and began doing some photo work of the Playboy models for the magazine. It must have been a good gig because he later wound up marrying one of the models (however her photos never appeared in the magazine). Last I heard, Ed was still with us (over 90) -- I need to make a call or two to check up.

old rigger

Reaction score
Regatta boats out of Downey, Ca. I'll be damned if I can remember the owners name but the original biz still exists at a different location, a mall took the first shop, but they build big rig truck 'glass parts. 3 of my dads friends had the little 16 back in the day, they hauled ass with a 125 tower of power hanging off the transom.

nowski

Reaction score

Rich Hallett did some work for me back in the mid 80's, guy was so cool he even took me out to breakfast a couple of times. Rich was an innovator and had his hands in more than just boats...

Betty Cook from Kamma Racing, Powerboat Champion, Drive Builder and Class Act. Her shop was in Newport Beach...

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Rich Hallett did some work for me back in the mid 80's, guy was so cool he even took me out to breakfast a couple of times. Rich was an innovator and had his hands in more than just boats...

Betty Cook from Kamma Racing, Powerboat Champion, Drive Builder and Class Act. Her shop was in Newport Beach...
When you went to breakfast did he take you next door to his shop to a little place called Don and Pats diner?

nowski

Reaction score
When you went to breakfast did he take you next door to his shop to a little place called Don and Pats diner?

I don't remember the restaurant name but it was walking distance from the shop located on Firestone Blvd...

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
I don't remember the restaurant name but it was walking distance from the shop located on Firestone Blvd...
I would bet that it was Don & Pats. That's where Rich and guys from D & L would grab their grub.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score

I spoke to Rod a few years back when He was visiting GS , I THINK He was living in Mexico and Rich shouldn't Shuster have several Boat names next to his ?

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Ray Leger & half brother Bobby Brown
Cee Bee Manufacturing Co. / Avenger Boats
Lynwood Ca.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Marty Hatchel, Hornet boats. Also a rigger at Tahiti with dad before he went out on his own. Pretty famous 19 foot hull, among other models, that was very competitive in circle racing. I worked with him years later at Howard for a short time. He, like me, had a very warped sense of humor and loved to play practical jokes. Finally got him back one day with some stage blood. I let out a yell, told him I cut myself and he came running over to see my palm and wrist drenched in the phony blood. He was in full panic mode trying to find a clean rag to wrap my hand in until I started laughing. lol he never played another joke on me.
Friend of mine has the Hornet mold if anyone wants to build one.

Carson Brummett (Brummett)
Blevins ( Blevens flatbottoms)
Joe Whitted (Joes Tooling) don’t remember what he called his,Whitted?
Gearge Shilala ( Finishline boats)

old rigger

Reaction score
I spoke to Rod a few years back when He was visiting GS , I THINK He was living in Mexico and Rich shouldn't Shuster have several Boat names next to his ?

Schuster...
Performer boats
Schuster boats
Tahiti
Tropicana
Tiki
Hawaiian
Sun Ray

He also moved to Australia a few steps ahead of Ray Leger with his Power Cat boats to sell the same boat but under his Schuster name. Schuster worked for Power Cat when they were making the transition from wood to glass hulls.

old rigger

Reaction score
Lynwood Ca.

Ray gave Bobby the hydro molds to start his own Cee Bee. Ray moved to Texas with Power Cat and Howard Brown moved into the Power Cat shop in Bellflower.

old rigger

Reaction score

Just curious, which Hornet mold does your friend own?

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Lynwood Ca.
Just curious -- is the Cee Bee Avenger Bob Brown still around? I occasionally call the Cee Bee phone number, it rings, but never an answer. I think Bob's son Rich was working there (but not on boats. other fiberglass products) a few years ago. That place in Lynwood is quite unique.

old rigger

Reaction score
Just curious -- is the Cee Bee Avenger Bob Brown still around? I occasionally call the Cee Bee phone number, it rings, but never an answer. I think Bob's son Rich was working there (but not on boats. other fiberglass products) a few years ago. That place in Lynwood is quite unique.
I was at their shop maybe 8 years ago and talked to Rich about a certain mold I was hoping they might still have. There were more molds stacked up than you could believe, he said they had everyone his dad ever used but we couldn't find the one I was interested in.

Not sure what happened to them all but they're gone now. The yard is empty.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Looks like they closed up in NOV 2018

FreeBird236

Reaction score

Isn't George Shilala AZ Geo on the boards? did he pass away?

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Just curious, which Hornet mold does your friend own?
Don’t know the difference in them. His has drop chines a bought it from GS or GL or GH marine lol don’t remember.
Isn't George Shilala AZ Geo on the boards? did he pass away?
Technically he is but doesn’t post anymore. He can be found on the v drives bookface group.

Clank123

Reaction score
There was a guy that started out in North Hollywood and moved to Sylmar that built some pretty fast boats...

Oh yeah!

Irv Brendell...Hondo Boats!

The father of the XH-511 the first “Trick Bottom” as it was called.
Then the “T-deck”.
Hydros worked pretty well too!

Every Flatbottom Manufacturer since the early 70’s either splashed or copied the 511, no matter what they tell you.

His first boats in the 60’s were Brendella’s and after the Divorce from Peggy, who kept the Hondo name, went back to Brendella.
Him and Ron Edhe started from Scratch on a new hydro meant for top fuel and the rest is history.

Clank123

Reaction score
Litchfield Custom Boats...George and Ernie Litchfield

Taboma

Reaction score
There was a guy that started out in North Hollywood and moved to Sylmar that built some pretty fast boats...

Oh yeah!

Irv Brendell...Hondo Boats!

The father of the XH-511 the first “Trick Bottom” as it was called.
Then the “T-deck”.
Hydros worked pretty well too!

Every Flatbottom Manufacturer since the early 70’s either splashed or copied the 511, no matter what they tell you.

His first boats in the 60’s were Brendella’s and after the Divorce from Peggy, who kept the Hondo name, went back to Brendella.
Him and Ron Edhe started from Scratch on a new hydro meant for top fuel and the rest is history.

OK, great recall but you guys are making me wonder --- Are all these named folks dead ? Carson ? Irv ? I though Bob had asked about those builder's who had passed on ?

Clank123

Reaction score
OK, great recall but you guys are making me wonder --- Are all these named folks dead ? Carson ? Irv ? I though Bob had asked about those builder's who had passed on ?
I know Irv Brendel has passed.

Clank123

Reaction score
Poty Boats...Joe Poty
Nordskog Marine...Bob Nordskog
Buck Smith and Spico...Buck Smith

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Overlooked that lol. I’ll guess Joe Whitted has. And Blevins maybe. Not George or Carson oops!