WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The other CA...

77charger

Reaction score
Really dude!?!

I didn't post the names for a reason!! These camping areas are closed. Nothing to see here. Move along...

😜
We camped at one of those camps at the bottom along the creek was nice can’t remember name though our first time up there like 2013. Started in mammoth twin lakes did a day trip to bodie then to camp set up the a day trip to Yosemite oh fishing was great at the campground too. Just can’t remember the name 🤣 and mammoth brewery has great beers

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
We camped at one of those camps at the bottom along the creek was nice can’t remember name though our first time up there like 2013. Started in mammoth twin lakes did a day trip to bodie then to camp set up the a day trip to Yosemite oh fishing was great at the campground too. Just can’t remember the name 🤣 and mammoth brewery has great beers

I have all the names, but they are all 🔐

😁

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
De Utter California……

0D715B21-0B70-4E3B-87BF-DFCDEBE8CCA2.jpeg

Sorry…..once again my public edumacated ass miss read the thread tittle…..

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
So awesome.

I wanna do Half Dome one more time with my daughter, and the trail that goes through Tualamie Canyon still.

I have zero ambition to try and do Whitney. 😜
Funny story about Whitney. But I suck at typing so I’ll skip the details and just tell you it was my wife’s 1st real hike ever! She had no idea what she agreed to do!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Start the Mammoth volcano talk again. That kept a lot of people away for many years.

It's pretty pretty busy up there these days. You need an appointment just to enter the park!

Half Dome and back county trails are all on a lottery system now.

When I pulled up to the entrance, I told them I was just "passing through".

Old dude number one said I still needed an appointment. He calls old dude number two who said...

Yeah he's cool. Locals don't need to pay or make an appointment.

Far be it from me to argue with them! 😁

77charger

Reaction score
I have all the names, but they are all 🔐

😁
First time there we also stopped in Alabama hills for an over night stay. I’m a fan of westerns so it was cool to stop there all the next trips we did the same. Damn I miss my cab over for those trips. But here in az we have some nice spots on the eastern part I just gotta explore or get out.

Grew up going keen river area use to enjoy Lloyd meadow road area in mid 90s so quiet there.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
The Eastern High Sierras, Owens Valley and Catalina are the only things I miss about CA. Been camping in the Eastern Sierras since I was an infant. Did the Jr Hi-Y High Sierra Caravan. Started at base camp near Mammoth, then up to Tioga Pass and down into Yosemite Valley. This was all done in the back of stake bed trucks, no seats belts. Heck, there were no seats. Each truck carried about 20 of us Jr Hi boys. It all originated at the Downey CA YMCA. Today, CHP would be in hot pursuit of those trucks for numerous safety violations. We did it. Without any accidents or injuries. Those kind of Youth Camp trips will never happen again.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
First time there we also stopped in Alabama hills for an over night stay. I’m a fan of westerns so it was cool to stop there all the next trips we did the same. Damn I miss my cab over for those trips. But here in az we have some nice spots on the eastern part I just gotta explore or get out.

Grew up going keen river area use to enjoy Lloyd meadow road area in mid 90s so quiet there.
My ancestors settled Lone Pine and the Alabama Hills. Had an aunt and uncle who lived in the Alabama Hills on Tuttle Creek Road. Their nearest neighbor was William Boyd. Best known as Hop a Long Cassidy the star of many old westerns, and a very nice guy. First met him when I was about 5. When in Lone Pine, Seasons Restaurant is amazing.

There’s now a large newer home that sits out between the Alabama Hills and Whitney Portal. Sure looks out of place. Looks like it should be in the Havasu Foothill Estates. Believe it belongs to the owners of the Dow Villa Motel in Lone Pine.

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Did you explore Kennedy Meadows at all? That's one of my favorite places. 👍🏼

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The Eastern High Sierras, Owens Valley and Catalina are the only things I miss about CA. Been camping in the Eastern Sierras since I was an infant. Did the Jr Hi-Y High Sierra Caravan. Started at base camp near Mammoth, then up to Tioga Pass and down into Yosemite Valley. This was all done in the back of stake bed trucks, no seats belts. Heck, there were no seats. Each truck carried about 20 of us Jr Hi boys. It all originated at the Downey CA YMCA. Today, CHP would be in hot pursuit of those trucks for numerous safety violations. We did it. Without any accidents or injuries. Those kind of Youth Camp trips will never happen again.

When I first got my son into Boy Scouts, and found out they hiked Mammoth to Half Dome every few years, I was stoked!!

Then when I found out how pathetically out of shape I was, I wasn't so stoked about that! 🤣

77charger

Reaction score
Did you explore Kennedy Meadows at all? That's one of my favorite places. 👍🏼
No never did nut heard great about it.kern area use to be a hidden gem once out of the kernville area though.Now the central valley folks have been invading the spots.Areas we use to disperse camp have all been shut down in summer cause of the trash left by the scums.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
No never did nut heard great about it.kern area use to be a hidden gem once out of the kernville area though.Now the central valley folks have been invading the spots.Areas we use to disperse camp have all been shut down in summer cause of the trash left by the scums.

Sounds about right.

Kennedy Meadows is called the land that time forgot. There wasn't even a sign pointing to it until just a few years ago!

The sign off the 395 just said Nine Mile Road. I liked it better that way.

The Kern is about 20 feet wide and just a few inches deep up there as it runs through Monanache Meadows.

The road to get up there is a BITCH!!!

My gas truck, towing my 26 ft toy hauler came to a complete stop at the base of the road. I had to drop it in low range, and leave the front hubs unlocked to make it up that road. Fucking steep and only one lane at times.

I've heard you can get up there coming along the Kern, but man that would be a LONG drive?

The difficulty getting up there is what keeps it pristine. 👍🏼

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Just outside of Yosemite. West entrance.

It's Fucking beautiful up there. It's like you went back in time. Everyone waves to everyone as they pass you on the back roads.

You don't have to go back in time for that. You just have to get out of the city. Most of rural America waves to each other on the road. They don't care if they know you or not.

Yosemite is a magical place. Hopefully, I will get back to see it again some day. There is so much of this beautiful nation to experience.

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
You don't have to go back in time for that. You just have to get out of the city. Most of rural America waves to each other on the road. They don't care if they know you or not.

Yosemite is a magical place. Hopefully, I will get back to see it again some day. There is so much of this beautiful nation to experience.

You are 100 percent correct...

The city dwellers in CA have no clue about what you speak of though!

There are some Amazing rural areas right here in SoCal, that I am watching Very closely.

Hope you make it back soon. 👍🏼

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score

Sportin' Wood grew up camping in those campgrounds in the 70s and 80s. Grandpa used to catch his limit every day and he spent most of the summer there. He built a little smoker out of a Hills Bros can to preserve them. Later, Jeff and I used to take the kids annually, and we went a couple times a year when we moved to Reno, but the last few times we've went, they have been so crowded, with 4-5 families camping in each site, filling up the toilets because the campground is way over capacity, and people playing music all night and leaving their trash. Between all of that and the fact that the state stopped stocking Lee Vining Creek so there weren't any fish, we stopped going. Of course, this time of year I'm sure it would be great.

We sure made some great memories in the Sierras.

Last edited:

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Starting in 86' driving for my mechanical damage inspection business I drove a new 86' Dodge Colt 1500 cc 4 speed a whopping 500,000 over 6 years many days were over 500 miles always returning home with the exception of one day for court in San Jose , One day I went from Atascadero to Hercules, then to Sonora then down to Fresno and back home for dinner . My trips to either Fresno, Bakersfield , San Jose or Thousand oaks were almost daily I actually enjoyed seeing California that way true Americana . Yes BTW the little Colt was still running at retirement at a half million miles , my son drove it for a while to HS . The Colt had countless oil and filter changes every 3k , one clutch and a half dozen CV boots . Lots of great people and sights to see out there in the "Valley" (San Jose and TO not so much )

tostark

Liquid Equity
Reaction score
It's pretty pretty busy up there these days. You need an appointment just to enter the park!

Half Dome and back county trails are all on a lottery system now.

When I pulled up to the entrance, I told them I was just "passing through".

Old dude number one said I still needed an appointment. He calls old dude number two who said...

Yeah he's cool. Locals don't need to pay or make an appointment.

Far be it from me to argue with them! 😁
My dad’s family started going to Tuolomne Meadows in the mid 1920s. His twin brother kept going until he passed in 1982 only missing a couple years due to WWII. He started taking me in the 1970’s.

When he passed, his ashes were scattered up there and a buddy and I hiked a headstone to his favorite lake.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I live in the San Joaquin valley just a stone throw from Yosemite. It never ceases to amaze me how all the CA haters lump all of CA into SF and LA. The sierras are loaded with places that mimic Yosemite and a lot of them open to OHV. Haters will be haters while we enjoy the "other CA"

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I live in the San Joaquin valley just a stone throw from Yosemite. It never ceases to amaze me how all the CA haters lump all of CA into SF and LA. The sierras are loaded with places that mimic Yosemite and a lot of them open to OHV. Haters will be haters while we enjoy the "other CA"

Because we all spend half a day driving to those destinations and yet we all don’t have to live there 😉

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

City folks...

Is really their fault their parents raised em em wrong? 🤷‍♂️

The older I get, the more I can appreciate how my parents raised me. 👍🏼

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
How many remember, as kids, bathing under those freezing, ice cold Eastern Sierra water faucets? The bar of soap always had sand and gravel in it. Which always transferred to the wash cloth your mom was using to scrub you with. If the sun had already sat behind the mountain, it was a run to sit by the campfire, bundled up to try to warm up. Primitive camping? Hardly, I’d do again in a heart beat!

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
Did a little road trip this week. Drove my friend to pick up a truck her dad gave her.

I took a few pics along the way...

This is heading out of SoCal to central California. It a Terrible drive! Zero views. Flat farm land. It boring as boring can be, it's tough to stay awake driving across central CA.

But it's a necessary evil to get to the good stuff...

View attachment 1157116 View attachment 1157117 View attachment 1157119 View attachment 1157121 View attachment 1157122 View attachment 1157123
And don’t forget the feed lot smell. It can be terrible..

DLC

Reaction score
We would dry camp up in the Obsidian Domb area and only see a hand full of people !

it was great! We’ve taken the jeep and other times the quads - Yamaha Raptor and the Suzuki 400 way back in the day - There tons of off-roading and trails

camping at night under the trees it gets really dark like pitch black, kinda freaky black, but once you look up above the tree line the stars are as bright as spot lights!

JJ McClure

Reaction score
kind of missing the point there!
Just LOFing another fine thread....

I went to college in Stockton and spent many a great weekends in Tahoe and the Sierras. Beautiful part of the country to be sure.

Thanks for sharing your trip RM. 😊

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Because we all spend half a day driving to those destinations and yet we all don’t have to live there 😉
If you only want to enjoy it a few times a year, I would prefer to enjoy it EVERY day WITHOUT having to travel half of it!

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
9 mile canyon road.
Beautiful drive, started out from Big Bear. CJ 7. No top or doors. Small utility trailer with gas and firewood, hauling a bomb, lol. Enough camping supplies in the Jeep for a week at 8,000 feet. Ma...... Meadows. Sher... Pass. Down the back side to Ker....le. Had lunch at a bar and grill, beer and a burger. TV was on, Hurricane Katrina just hit New Orleans. My brother's '41 Jeep valve cover gaskets shit the bed, made new ones out of Coors light case boxes. 14 and 395 were brutally hot, showers behind the CJ in four corners with luke warm water. 600+ miles in 9 days. Most recent trip was from Bullhead, in '09. I need to go again.

Dan'l

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Often find calm spots like this below the fast water can be full of trout.

Probably can't see em in the vid, but I could see em swimming around when I was there.

Couple people fishing too. The trout were too smart for them! 🤣

Last edited:

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Probably can't see em in the vid, but I could see em swimming around when I was there.

Couple people fishing too. The trout were too smart for them! 🤣
For stocked trout in a cold water creek, light line 2# test, tied to a gold #14-16 treble hook, no weight and just enough Velvetta Cheese to cover the small hook. I keep the Velvetta in a empty small jar carried in my fishing creel. Always seemed to gross out our daughters when I'd eat a swipe of that cheese. But, it was good. The trout liked it and so did I.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
For stocked trout in a cold water creek, light line 2# test, tied to a gold #14-16 treble hook, no weight and just enough Velvetta Cheese to cover the small hook. I keep the Velvetta in a empty small jar carried in my fishing creel. Always seemed to gross out our daughters when I'd eat a swipe of that cheese. But, it was good. The trout liked it and so did I.

Zeeks with garlic oil was always my go to.

Back when I could afford a fishing license! 😡

Besides, stocked fish tastes gross. 🤮

DC-88

Reaction score
The light line was the key, with even lighter leader . My Dad was a gnarly outdoor guy and he loved the East side. He took me on some crazy 4-6 day loops with peak climbs from age 9-14 at lots of spots, some high elevation like through Humphrey's basin and similar areas . I'd carry like 25-30 lbs and he'd get the rest with no tent, just a tube in case of a bad T storm and frisbees for plates. My wife has to force me to eat Salmon to this day after eating all of those trout, even though we sometimes catch salmon right out in front of where I live 😂

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Sounds about right.

Kennedy Meadows is called the land that time forgot. There wasn't even a sign pointing to it until just a few years ago!

The Kern is about 20 feet wide and just a few inches deep up there as it runs through Monanache Meadows.

My gas truck, towing my 26 ft toy hauler came to a complete stop at the base of the road. I had to drop it in low range, and leave the front hubs unlocked to make it up that road. Fucking steep and only one lane at times.

I've heard you can get up there coming along the Kern, but man that would be a LONG drive?

Thats a 7 day hike Mammoth to Y-Valley. Allot of that over 10,000 feet. Fuck that.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Sounds about right.

Dad used to take my brother and I tent camping at Kennedy Meadows in late 1980’s. As I recall, that 9 Mile Road was dirt half the way up through the foothills. There was barely anyone up there. Super nice camping. Beautiful area. Kern River was nice and COLD. I was last up there in 1996, and road had been paved.

That’s for posting your pics and this thread. Lots of memories of the Eastern Sierra Nevada’s 👍