WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The Outboard Church

RCDave

Reaction score
Believe me, Id love to take this issue further. However, I dont have the time, patience and certainly not the money to take that on. Im on the hunt for a copy of Mercurys warranty info. I cant say Ive ever seen it in print.

What about the people who have broke shafts with less than 10hrs on them? Ive heard of several. So they break a second shaft and the Merc is going to tell them to pound sand if it happens again even though they have 2+ years of "warranty" left. I have over a year left and they are basically telling me to pound sand. Its absolute bullshit.
OUCH! Sorry to hear this. I thought they had this prop shaft issue resolved. Guess not

War Canoe

Stainless Member
Reaction score
Believe me, Id love to take this issue further. However, I dont have the time, patience and certainly not the money to take that on. Im on the hunt for a copy of Mercurys warranty info. I cant say Ive ever seen it in print.

What about the people who have broke shafts with less than 10hrs on them? Ive heard of several. So they break a second shaft and the Merc is going to tell them to pound sand if it happens again even though they have 2+ years of "warranty" left. I have over a year left and they are basically telling me to pound sand. Its absolute bullshit.

Id contact the head of customer service at Mercury Marine. That position has a lot of horsepower to make things right. The fact is, it’s Mercury’s name on the parts...if MercurY racing won’t help, go to the mothership and let them know how you have been treated after you spent $40,000 on your “Mercury” engine.
id give them a chronological account of all the problems in writing. I’d tell them the Racing division has turned their back on you and you have no place to turn. You buy Mercury products AND THE WARRANTY so you won’t have the problems you are having.
I had a worse issue with Evinrude years ago, and the dealer, the rep for Evinrude, both told me they wouldn’t stand behind the failure.....spoke with the head of customer service and gave him a written statement of facts and dates.....He sent me a $10,000 complete drop on for FREE !!!
Squeaky wheel in the right places gets the grease. Customer Service is designed to keep clientele not lose them. Your story is compelling.....it just has to hit the right ears.
If you don’t see results, keep going up the ladder. Sooner or later someone will agree that the fault lies with Mercury.
Just my .02, but it worked for me. Presentation and documentation are critical.
when it looks like a “winning court case”, people start listening.
Rev

Last edited:

War Canoe

Stainless Member
Reaction score
Wednesday’s Whip....
D44B0755-E65D-42FC-80DD-E67B47B29DA2.jpeg

Last edited:

HST4ME

Reaction score

Believe me me you are not alone in this plight.

HST4ME

Reaction score
Working on the optics of this yet. It walked through the door when I was making flag poles 😅 I took five minutes and made a rudimentary mount. I'll clean it up tomorrow.

GETBOATS

Reaction score
Id contact the head of customer service at Mercury Marine. That position has a lot of horsepower to make things right. The fact is, it’s Mercury’s name on the parts...if MercurY racing won’t help, go to the mothership and let them know how you have been treated after you spent $40,000 on your “Mercury” engine.
id give them a chronological account of all the problems in writing. I’d tell them the Racing division has turned their back on you and you have no place to turn. You buy Mercury products AND THE WARRANTY so you won’t have the problems you are having.
I had a worse issue with Evinrude years ago, and the dealer, the rep for Evinrude, both told me they wouldn’t stand behind the failure.....spoke with the head of customer service and gave him a written statement of facts and dates.....He sent me a $10,000 complete drop on for FREE !!!
Squeaky wheel in the right places gets the grease. Customer Service is designed to keep clientele not lose them. Your story is compelling.....it just has to hit the right ears.
If you don’t see results, keep going up the ladder. Sooner or later someone will agree that the fault lies with Mercury.
Just my .02, but it worked for me. Presentation and documentation are critical.
when it looks like a “winning court case”, people start listening.
Rev

Don't know the whole story here, but this is "Dealer Fail" where was the unit purchased? Locally I hope, not just shipping in from the lowest bidder. no way the retail customer should be dealing with or trying to find some one at Mercury to help them.......................that's the dealers job!!

War Canoe

Stainless Member
Reaction score
Don't know the whole story here, but this is "Dealer Fail" where was the unit purchased? Locally I hope, not just shipping in from the lowest bidder. no way the retail customer should be dealing with or trying to find some one at Mercury to help them.......................that's the dealers job!!

hey John!
I have found that chasing warranty issues can be difficult. Dealers are supposed to help, but it is my experience that they can only do so much. The “Regional manager” then makes his call....if you push the cause to that level. If you get no results there, you end up at the head of customer service. That opinion supersedes the dealer and their regional managers position.
Knowing Mercury’s parts issues, I think there is “Bad Faith” on Mercury’s warranty program. Too many customers are having the same problems to ignore. I was VERY persistent in my dealings with Mercury and Evinrude...that persistence paid off. Have all your facts and dates and outcomes of those situations documented. Preparation will save the day.

GETBOATS

Reaction score
so merc has replaced prop shaft twice on the unit under warranty? and without a clause shared with dealer of extenuating circumstances? Then merc has set a precedence by doing it two times already. are we using a merc propeller? hope so, for warranty purposes. Is dealer saying no, "merc won't cover it" if this is true I'll fall back on what was said before, "Dealer Fail". If servicing dealer sold the unit, then I'm really surprised with this outcome.

stingray11

Reaction score
I have one. The mid range acceleration is non-existent and 3-4mph slower on the top end. Its a slug compared to the Merc. To Hills credit though, they have worked with me and tried to get it to run like the Merc but it just doesnt on my boat for whatever reason.
I don't think I'd consider three four mile an hour loss a slug but I guess if you got the money the extra $2,500 is worth it. However till they get the prop shaft situation figured out I don't think I'd be buying the Merc props. I thought Randy Corson said they were only one or two mph slower I guess it depends on the boat motor setup

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KingofBeers

Reaction score
So merc has replaced prop shaft twice on the unit under warranty? and without a clause shared with dealer of extenuating circumstances? Then merc has set a precedence by doing it two times already. are we using a merc propeller? hope so, for warranty purposes. Is dealer saying no, "merc won't cover it" if this is true I'll fall back on what was said before, "Dealer Fail". If servicing dealer sold the unit, then I'm really surprised with this outcome.
This motor came on a new boat I purchased from FL at the tail end of 2018. The first propshaft broke getting on plane with ~30hrs on it. It was replaced under warranty as well as the Merc Max5 prop that was on it. It was replaced with the 2piece shaft as I dont believe the 1 piece shafts were available yet.

Had another failure at speed with ~125hrs on it. Merc raised a stink with this one and requested pictures of setup, video of lower running, and full engine history to be pulled by the dealer. I (my dealer) sent them everything they asked for and even though they finally agreed to cover the repair and the prop, made the statement that "this would be the last time". Not sure how they can say that. This motor is under warranty, and that warranty covers propeller shafts.

The second shaft im told was the more expensive 1 piece shaft. It lasted ~50hrs before snapping while getting on plane. They are trying to claim this is a rigging/setup issue...but we all know that is bullshit because these shafts are regularly breaking on various types of boats all over the place. I wonder what their response would have been if I had purchased an extended warranty for $$$$ before this?

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Alex, sooooooo sad you have to deal with this while you are supposed to be under warranty.
Sad that Merc isn't standing behind their products.

stingray11

Reaction score
This motor came on a new boat I purchased from FL at the tail end of 2018. The first propshaft broke getting on plane with ~30hrs on it. It was replaced under warranty as well as the Merc Max5 prop that was on it. It was replaced with the 2piece shaft as I dont believe the 1 piece shafts were available yet.

Had another failure at speed with ~125hrs on it. Merc raised a stink with this one and requested pictures of setup, video of lower running, and full engine history to be pulled by the dealer. I (my dealer) sent them everything they asked for and even though they finally agreed to cover the repair and the prop, made the statement that "this would be the last time". Not sure how they can say that. This motor is under warranty, and that warranty covers propeller shafts.

The second shaft im told was the more expensive 1 piece shaft. It lasted ~50hrs before snapping while getting on plane. They are trying to claim this is a rigging/setup issue...but we all know that is bullshit because these shafts are regularly breaking on various types of boats all over the place. I wonder what their response would have been if I had purchased an extended warranty for $$$$ before this?
It sucks big time they definitely have a problem. Not to mention you got to get towed in each time. What boat are you running this motor on?

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
It sucks big time they definitely have a problem. Not to mention you got to get towed in each time. What boat are you running this motor on?

21' Liberator
When KingofBeers mentioned about a prop being a turd it was terrible in the mid range, zero acceleration. I've never seen him chase big #s on the top end & we boat together a TON.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
I would love to re-power our Skater with 300R's but I'm gonna sit back & see how this all plays out. Sure hope Mercury does the right thing.

stingray11

Reaction score
21' Liberator
When KingofBeers mentioned about a prop being a turd it was terrible in the mid range, zero acceleration. I've never seen him chase big #s on the top end & we boat together a TON.
In that case then yeah I'd probably call it a turd as well

stingray11

Reaction score
I remember a buddy of mine with a bullet bass boat and a 260 Mercury race engine and he would constantly jab the throttle pedal especially coming off plane he would jab it several times and I told him about that's going to be extremely hard on the Driveline and what do you know not long after that he broke a prop shaft. Now I'm not saying he does that but anything that loads and unloads the propeller it's going to be hard on the Driveline

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
It appears the broken propshaft problem arises mainly in surface piercing mode running cleavers.

The harmonics on the drivetrain get really severe combining the two.

RCDave

Reaction score
I would love to re-power our Skater with 300R's but I'm gonna sit back & see how this all plays out. Sure hope Mercury does the right thing.

I was eyeing a 300R repower on my 22 Cougar MTR too. Glad I still have the 300xs

RCDave

Reaction score
21' Liberator

Also, its not like the 21 Liberator is a big boat that puts lots of strain on an engine and driveline.....He shouldn't be experiencing any issues with this combo

stoker2001

Reaction score
Also, its not like the 21 Liberator is a big boat that puts lots of strain on an engine and driveline.....He shouldn't be experiencing any issues with this combo
EXACTLY!!Mercury is chinsing out here with there design and or alloy...

War Canoe

Stainless Member
Reaction score
Thanks to Drew at Boatmasters, I was able to be on the water in my Daytona. I lost a compressor on my 250XS Opti, and I called Drew...He said he had a new one or I could buy a used one for way cheaper...He went out of his way and quickly retrieved the part for me and got it sent to me in one day. I removed the old one, put on Drew’s pump and I was boating today. Boatmasters is the best. Saved me a ton of time and a fat stack of cash. Big thanks to Joe Abellera for making sure all my hoses and fittings were installed correctly, as the pump was from a different year engine. One fitting was in a different spot, and Joe knew instantly where the hoses should go on the different set up. Get it wrong, and you cook the pump.
great run today with the Red Cougar!!
0E130D85-37FA-4573-A777-7C5E8F7DC304.jpeg
A434E8C8-AA11-4DE0-B2E5-D8D762E56AE4.jpeg

stingray11

Reaction score
It appears the broken propshaft problem arises mainly in surface piercing mode running cleavers.

The harmonics on the drivetrain get really severe combining the two.
Well that is what the sportmaster gearcase is designed for, running on the surface and Mercury makes the propeller for the inline 6 and V8 outboards so they obviously have a design flaw somewhere

Last edited:

73mandella

Reaction score
Church Dog got a new flatty....
and a 36’ Skater (to go with his 46’ Skater)

some people really are into boating. I thought I was addicted. Obviously, I’m just “a little sick” ...Dale is terminal!!! View attachment 920144

Nothing against the larger boats, but I'll take this wood deck flatty any day. That is a clean boat.

RichL

Reaction score