WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The Outboard Church

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 8.45.25 AM.png

Adam McKeon

Reaction score
Here is a better look for you at that ultra high X. I set up my boats ( this is my 24 Twister ) a bit different than most. The gearcase is completely welded shut ( exception is a single threaded 1/8” hole for priming / drainage) and I have my water go through a strainer with a pressure relief valve set at 12psi.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Here is a better look for you at that ultra high X. I set up my boats ( this is my 24 Twister ) a bit different than most. The gearcase is completely welded shut ( exception is a single threaded 1/8” hole for priming / drainage) and I have my water go through a strainer with a pressure relief valve set at 12psi.

So badass!!! Wish my turd was fast enough to worry about that.

stoker2001

Reaction score

threaded hole is so you can plug if needed?Did you ever run a ModVp with case that high?

Adam McKeon

Reaction score
threaded hole is so you can plug if needed?Did you ever run a ModVp with case that high?
So the hole serves several purposes.
It allows that cavity to fill when first going in the water and obviously to drain when out. It also somewhat acts as a thermostat for the gearcase. If that area were to stay plugged, no water would pass by the forward (oiled) portion of the case. It would just get hot. Slowly passing by allows it time to absorb some heat before it exits. And no, never ran motor this high on a mod vp.

stoker2001

Reaction score
So the hole serves several purposes.
It allows that cavity to fill when first going in the water and obviously to drain when out. It also somewhat acts as a thermostat for the gearcase. If that area were to stay plugged, no water would pass by the forward (oiled) portion of the case. It would just get hot. Slowly passing by allows it time to absorb some heat before it exits. And no, never ran motor this high on a mod vp.
good info,thanks.I would be interested in trying to setup my mirage with extreme transom height?right now I run sporty without any mods to H20 pickups.My centerline of P/S is about 1.5"above with 7" setback bracket.We run lots of miles in are delta,so I run a 4 blade 28"pitch Spinelli with 2.5 280 with drag electrics most of the time.the handleing at 110+ is less then ideal.I have had it for 22 years.I know the combo of 4blade and unmodded sporty hurts high speed handleing,but the acceleration/cornering and smoothness of 4 blade is sweet!I had conned CLE case back in late 90s before it spit the skeg off and it handeled much better at 120+ with a 3blade 30 cleaver.I have a line on a conned "titus" case I might pick up and I am sure I could run it a little higher with better handleing?Is there a kit you buy when you go with a pressure relief valve and transom H20 pickup?not sure ModVp would benefit?

War Canoe

Stainless Member
Reaction score
good info,thanks.I would be interested in trying to setup my mirage with extreme transom height?right now I run sporty without any mods to H20 pickups.My centerline of P/S is about 1.5"above with 7" setback bracket.We run lots of miles in are delta,so I run a 4 blade 28"pitch Spinelli with 2.5 280 with drag electrics most of the time.the handleing at 110+ is less then ideal.I have had it for 22 years.I know the combo of 4blade and unmodded sporty hurts high speed handleing,but the acceleration/cornering and smoothness of 4 blade is sweet!I had conned CLE case back in late 90s before it spit the skeg off and it handeled much better at 120+ with a 3blade 30 cleaver.I have a line on a conned "titus" case I might pick up and I am sure I could run it a little higher with better handleing?Is there a kit you buy when you go with a pressure relief valve and transom H20 pickup?not sure ModVp would benefit?

Spent many mornings next to that Mirage. What a great boat. Kevin can drive it , too.

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
Wasn't Bodega Bay the place used in the old school movie "The Birds" by Hitchcock?

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
You can really get an idea of the size of your 30 behind the 28 in that first pic lake pal. :eek:

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Rick's river rocket with the 250XS is a BLAST also. Runs 100+ with 3 guys in it

War Canoe

Stainless Member
Reaction score
Rick's river rocket with the 250XS is a BLAST also. Runs 100+ with 3 guys in it

3 guys in an STV??
A bit of a sausage fest ?? Almost as bad as 3 dudes in a smart car. :eek:
Im an ass, I know. :D

Last edited: