WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The participation award generation has come of age

Taboma

Reaction score
I can see the news report:

People of color are more susceptible to mental health and PTSD, especially women of color mainly due to climate change. The situation is made worse as there aren’t enough emotional support animals available due to the Delta variant, so wear a mask.

Hmmm, I thought that was the inspiration for " Spirituals " 🤔

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Winners never quit and quitters never win, that's the Olympics I remember. Case and point, Gabriela Anderson Schiess 84 Olympics...

There are examples throughout sports history that define that statement. Bill Johnson is always my favorite.
(Downhill gold) my brother was Olympic caliber downhill. He once beat Tommy Moe (another downhill gold medalist) at an Alyeska ski club downhill race.
I was always into Ariel competition although I did collect many gold and silver medals ski racing at Arctic valley and Alyeska events.
Add in 9 years of football, same with baseball, usually all star teams as well, and it safe to say that team sports and individual sports was a HUGE part of our lives growing up.
Having said that, I say with confidence that “winners never quit and quitters never win” is a fantastic locker room sign, and a great coaches pep talk finale when down by 20 at halftime.
Other than that it is for the most part hyperbole.
It’s easy to sideline judge this girl.
Very very few know what she’s been through to be where she is at. Mentally and physically. Her entire life and being has been one focus, with the world watching. I can’t even imagine the pressure.
Half of us here would fold like a baby if exposed to it.
So...my opinion is that although it’s hard to see, I’m not going to second guess her decision.
It’s her that’s made the sacrifices, her that’s achieved the level of Performanc in her craft that 99.99% of people never achieve no matter their craft, and her and her alone that knows what’s best.

Edit: BTW, the correct verbiage is “case in point”, not “case and point”....just sayin.

grumpy88

Reaction score
How so? A poor performance on her part would have knocked the Americans off the podium.

Since over-all medal count is a thing, her being able to compete later is more beneficial to the entire Olympic team and not the gymnastics squad.
For me its a difference of competing in a event that you stand on a pedestal with team mates verse choosing to try to stand on one alone . All athletes deal with pressure . Some rise to the occasion others dont . She chose to not even get in the game .

RCDave

Reaction score
Finke shows how it's done....men's swimmer in the 800.....

Reactions: DWC

nowski

Reaction score
There are examples throughout sports history that define that statement. Bill Johnson is always my favorite.
(Downhill gold) my brother was Olympic caliber downhill. He once beat Tommy Moe (another downhill gold medalist) at an Alyeska ski club downhill race.
I was always into Ariel competition although I did collect many gold and silver medals ski racing at Arctic valley and Alyeska events.
Add in 9 years of football, same with baseball, usually all star teams as well, and it safe to say that team sports and individual sports was a HUGE part of our lives growing up.
Having said that, I say with confidence that “winners never quit and quitters never win” is a fantastic locker room sign, and a great coaches pep talk finale when down by 20 at halftime.
Other than that it is for the most part hyperbole.
It’s easy to sideline judge this girl.
Very very few know what she’s been through to be where she is at. Mentally and physically. Her entire life and being has been one focus, with the world watching. I can’t even imagine the pressure.
Half of us here would fold like a baby if exposed to it.
So...my opinion is that although it’s hard to see, I’m not going to second guess her decision.
It’s her that’s made the sacrifices, her that’s achieved the level of Performanc in her craft that 99.99% of people never achieve no matter their craft, and her and her alone that knows what’s best.

Edit: BTW, the correct verbiage is “case in point”, not “case and point”....just sayin.

Bill Johnson was a great story with a sad ending.

Eddie the Eagle was another favorite that got more air time in the news than off the jump.

Biles and mental health: Her long term mental health will be more affected by not participating than participating but that's just my guess...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Wife and I talked about it last night. She made trials in 2000, but decided not to train after NCAA's. She felt that she wasn't going to make the top three...she knew who they'd be. She felt that her even taking the spot at trials could possibly take some younger outsider's chance, that one that just needed their chance to make the show. She knew she wouldn't have a breakthrough, but a younger competitor could. That's the way swimming was. You always go faster if in a faster heat. My wife thought it selfish to take a spot on a team, any team, and then quit.

Her point of view on that stuff I respect...and not because she's my wife. I trained for 6 hours a day through high-school, and only made it to Jr National times and CIF...good, but nothing special. My wife trained for the same time in high school, and went to Sr Nationals and won her events at CIF. She went on to NCAA events and college by swimming.

There are people that just have abilities beyond others. What they choose to do sets them apart. People say the stress of competition is horrendous. What about every student on a full ride to college? People from poor backgrounds that know the sport is their only way out? A serious injury is a trip back home in some cases. In any sport there is a risk. You take those risks to better yourself and prove your skills.

There was a time when I was an athlete, and so was my bride. Those days have past. There is always life after sports, but some had to do the sports to build that life...even at risk of harm.

nowski

Reaction score
Wife and I talked about it last night. She made trials in 2000, but decided not to train after NCAA's. She felt that she wasn't going to make the top three...she knew who they'd be. She felt that her even taking the spot at trials could possibly take some younger outsider's chance, that one that just needed their chance to make the show. She knew she wouldn't have a breakthrough, but a younger competitor could. That's the way swimming was. You always go faster if in a faster heat. My wife thought it selfish to take a spot on a team, any team, and then quit.

Her point of view on that stuff I respect...and not because she's my wife. I trained for 6 hours a day through high-school, and only made it to Jr National times and CIF...good, but nothing special. My wife trained for the same time in high school, and went to Sr Nationals and won her events at CIF. She went on to NCAA events and college by swimming.

There are people that just have abilities beyond others. What they choose to do sets them apart. People say the stress of competition is horrendous. What about every student on a full ride to college? People from poor backgrounds that know the sport is their only way out? A serious injury is a trip back home in some cases. In any sport there is a risk. You take those risks to better yourself and prove your skills.

There was a time when I was an athlete, and so was my bride. Those days have past. There is always life after sports, but some had to do the sports to build that life...even at risk of harm.

The stress of raising a family (24/7 - 365 days a year) on a single income is more stressful in my book than competing in any sport you love, just my .02 cents. Been there done that...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The stress of raising a family (24/7 - 365 days a year) on a single income is more stressful in my book than competing in any sport you love, just my .02 cents. Been there done that...
Agreed. The monthly nut to crack, in addition to the health and well being of family, is more than a full-time stress generator.
But, if you succeed with that, the reward is better than the wealth of a sports star. All the money in the world can't buy time or happiness.

HBCraig

Reaction score

Dont know if you remember the swimmer Bill Pilczuk, but I hung out with him and his girlfriend a bit during our overlapping times at Auburn. Good dude. He was the first freestyle swimmer to beat the Russian Rocket

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Agreed. The monthly nut to crack, in addition to the health and well being of family, is more than a full-time stress generator.
But, if you succeed with that, the reward is better than the wealth of a sports star. All the money in the world can't buy time or happiness.

I do it everyday..it's a big weight to carry, but it separates the men from the democrats.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Dont know if you remember the swimmer Bill Pilczuk, but I hung out with him and his girlfriend a bit during our overlapping times at Auburn. Good dude. He was the first freestyle swimmer to beat the Russian Rocket
First guy to beat Popov...he was a sprinter, so those were the guys I looked up to. His times were almost 2 seconds faster than my best, in 50 meters! F'n unreal, the differences between the decent, the good, and the Olympic times. Sydney would have been the games my wife made trials for...but instead we got married.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Add college tuition to that too. My daughter is going to play D1 softball and has the majority paid for but I still need to pay about 25k a year

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Add college tuition to that too. My daughter is going to play D1 softball and has the majority paid for but I still need to pay about 25k a year
Think of it this way, your years spent bringing up the athlete "saved you" 75k a year. That, and be happy you have the means to keep her out of debt. Silver linings, lots of them! ;)

Joker

Reaction score
Another BLM advocate gives the US the middle finger. Fuck her