WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The Refuge

Kjp

Reaction score
Someone will do that... in Yucca.
A housing contractor friend of mine actually spoke to me about his idea for building in Yucca. His labor can't afford to live in town, so he has to hire outside of the area, and put them up there. And this is US sourced labor by the way.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
A housing contractor friend of mine actually spoke to me about his idea for building in Yucca. His labor can't afford to live in town, so he has to hire outside of the area, and put them up there. And this is US sourced labor by the way.

Yup. Havasu workers are just going to move to Kingman or elsewhere. Yucca is a good spot, workers could commute either direction.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I believe they are building some apartments behind the Safeway now and looks like more down on the south side. This may help if the rent isn't too high.

Kjp

Reaction score
I believe they are building some apartments behind the Safeway now and looks like more down on the south side. This may help if the rent isn't too high.
Thought this new build was for senior living , but may be wrong

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I remember the clubhouse 'residents'. Every time I saw them I just thought of that line from caddyshack - 'don't you people have homes?' Except with the group I recall, I would call it a fossil fest instead of a cougar fest lol. And yes , they always had something to say about the influx of new customers. And god forbid that taco night got too busy.
While having dinner, Some of the things I saw 70 year old plus people doing in that bar on a Friday night are forever etched in my memory.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Yup. Havasu workers are just going to move to Kingman or elsewhere. Yucca is a good spot, workers could commute either direction.
Even Kingman is supposedly getting too expensive most are having to move to Felony Valley.

MooreMoney

Reaction score
Yup, there was a certain group of older residents who lived in the bar, it was their private club, full on cougar fest. They loved it that it was so cheap and not advertised so they had the bar and restaurant to themselves. The word got out that the food was very good and the public started coming in. Some them blew a gasket when they couldn't get a table in "their club". When the poll was taken to see if people were willing to bump up the HOA dues to help pay for buying the course it needed a 2/3's majority, didnt happen. They want their cake and eat it to, doesnt work that way.

Same people that are my neighbors who complained of the boat noise in speed alley that led to the some changes and they also are complaining about the noise of the off road vehicles. We loved living here, but at the same time kind of glad we are leaving, its very clicky with the older residents.

The snowbirds and weekend boater folks are awesome, nice folks, they look at everything different than the older full time residents.
Now that you say it, I only deal with the snowbirds and vacationers. We have a good group on our street and haven’t had any problems. Couple full timers on the street, they seem pretty nice when we are in town.

Kjp

Reaction score
Now that you say it, I only deal with the snowbirds and vacationers. We have a good group on our street and haven’t had any problems. Couple full timers on the street, they seem pretty nice when we are in town.
Lots of people with toys in Havasu, and toys usually make noise ;) If they don't like it they can always move.

dspracing

Reaction score
Come on, this has got to be good. Second hand anyway
Hearing the story and then knowing Walt had to live through the moment just makes it that much better!

Reactions: DWC

Ct65

Reaction score
Any updates on when the refuge golf club will reopen?

satellitemike

Reaction score
I drove thru last weekend checking on my "dirt" and not much going on. Golf course hasnt really changed much, maybe waiting on the dormant grass to comeback w the warmer weather? RV pads are still there w no signs of removal. Golf cart tent is still there. Outside of the clubhouse looked the same, maybe renovations are taking place inside?
Long story short it doesnt look to be opening any time soon :mad:!

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I drove thru last weekend checking on my "dirt" and not much going on. Golf course hasnt really changed much, maybe waiting on the dormant grass to comeback w the warmer weather? RV pads are still there w no signs of removal. Golf cart tent is still there. Outside of the clubhouse looked the same, maybe renovations are taking place inside?
Long story short it doesnt look to be opening any time soon :mad:!
We left last week, and yea surprisingly slow progress, they did alot on hole 10, that’s about it, and have trimmed alot of trees. The golf carts are all gone, they were leased by the prior owner so they likely got returned.

The owner said they planned to open 9 holes as soon as they could. The course will be membership only from what we were told, homeowners will get a break on the price.

My guess is the owner is learning quickly how construction timelines work in Havasu.

I hope it all works out, but I’m kind of skeptical at this point, you would think more would be getting done faster to get some of it open.

Ct65

Reaction score
We left last week, and yea surprisingly slow progress, they did alot on hole 10, that’s about it, and have trimmed alot of trees. The golf carts are all gone, they were leased by the prior owner so they likely got returned.

The owner said they planned to open 9 holes as soon as they could. The course will be membership only from what we were told, homeowners will get a break on the price.

My guess is the owner is learning quickly how construction timelines work in Havasu.

I hope it all works out, but I’m kind of skeptical at this point, you would think more would be getting done faster to get some of it open.
So the golf course will not be open to the public like it was before? That is not good news for those of us who played there all the time. Would make more money being open to the public. I hope the new owner allows the public to play there.

DWC

Reaction score
So the golf course will not be open to the public like it was before? That is not good news for those of us who played there all the time. Would make more money being open to the public. I hope the new owner allows the public to play there.
X2. Bummer to hear.

Singleton

Reaction score

great way to go BK again. you need to allow public play to make $$

TCHB

Reaction score
After my experience there I will never go there again.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Not 100% sure on that point. The way the course is being described it will be PGA quality. If you join a club of that caliber in OC or LA you are looking at $50k or more buy ins and some hefty annual dues, if thats the case I dont know how its going to work in Havasu. The owner referred to the course as becoming a destination course that people would come from all over for, but if thats the case and ballers come from all over, you dont have 4 seasons or Ritz Carlton level hotels that they are going to want to stay in.

The sandtrap sand for hole 10 is new, it was provided by the same vendor that provides the sand for Augusta National, thats the caliber of course they are shooting for.

I sound like a skeptic for sure, we sold our house and closed a week or so ago. We loved living there, didnt really care if the course opened or not, it was a great place to live anyway, we just had the itch to realize a dream and have a home on the water. If it were us the bar and restaurant being open would have been just fine. The business man in me just looks at things different ways all the time.

satellitemike

Reaction score
Where are you hearing that it won't be open to the public?
QUOTE="Ct65, post: 4411689, member: 35986"]
[/QUOTE]

TCHB

Reaction score
The previous owner was ready to take my $30k for a lifetime membership at the same time they were getting ready to declare BK. I know others who paid the Lifetime membership and the changed the terms upped the fee and then BK. The owners at Lake Havasu Golf Cub are honest and always trying to make the place nicer. I know they have new owners now but after that experience I am done. The course is not all that nice anyway.

TCHB

Reaction score
Not 100% sure on that point. The way the course is being described it will be PGA quality. If you join a club of that caliber in OC or LA you are looking at $50k or more buy ins and some hefty annual dues, if thats the case I dont know how its going to work in Havasu. The owner referred to the course as becoming a destination course that people would come from all over for, but if thats the case and ballers come from all over, you dont have 4 seasons or Ritz Carlton level hotels that they are going to want to stay in.

The sandtrap sand for hole 10 is new, it was provided by the same vendor that provides the sand for Augusta National, thats the caliber of course they are shooting for.

I sound like a skeptic for sure, we sold our house and closed a week or so ago. We loved living there, didnt really care if the course opened or not, it was a great place to live anyway, we just had the itch to realize a dream and have a home on the water. If it were us the bar and restaurant being open would have been just fine. The business man in me just looks at things different ways all the time.
In Vegas and Henderson you can have a couples membership at a great golf course that the refuge will never get close to for $1500 a month and $20k up front. Revere in Henderson has 2 two really great Golf courses that again Refuge will never be is $1200 a month for a couple no buy in membership.

hallett21

Reaction score
In Vegas and Henderson you can have a couples membership at a great golf course that the refuge will never get close to for $1500 a month and $20k up front. Revere in Henderson has 2 two really great Golf courses that again Refuge will never be is $1200 a month for a couple no buy in membership.
Are you saying that because of the havasu clientele or due to the new owner?

Personally I think The Refuge has every bit of a chance at being a great course. I just don’t know if there’s enough money in town to support that?

TCHB

Reaction score

Personally I think The Refuge has every bit of a chance at being a great course. I just don’t know if there’s enough money in town to support that?
play one round at Reflection Bay or Revere and you will see the difference. It is like Lake Paris to Havasu. I have played many times at the Refuge and it does not compare in any way.

TCHB

Reaction score
Lake Havasu Golf Club has 2 18 hole courses. The annual fee for a couple for unlimited golf is $5k a year Which includes the cart.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Lake Havasu Golf Club has 2 18 hole courses. The annual fee for a couple for unlimited golf is $5k a year Which includes the cart.

If they ever replace the dilapidated clubhouse then it would be a lot better. Grew up going out there with my grandparents, its has an epic view..just a dump of a clubhouse. Rumors have swirled for years about it being redone...who knows. I like the course, and usually the food/drinks are good there...I just sit on the patio when its not hot.

TCHB

Reaction score
If they ever replace the dilapidated clubhouse then it would be a lot better. Grew up going out there with my grandparents, its has an epic view..just a dump of a clubhouse. Rumors have swirled for years about it being redone...who knows. I like the course, and usually the food/drinks are good there...I just sit on the patio when its not hot.
Dan the owner said he would focus on the fairways and greens first than the clubhouse. I agree with his priority. My wife and I played over 130 rounds a year at Havasu Golf Club and really enjoyed the club. The owners are local people who are there for the long run.

DWC

Reaction score

IMO there’s enough money but I’m not sure the money is in Havasu to play golf.

Kjp

Reaction score
I am sure the homeowners who started al the fuss way back and want the place as their own private course for all eight of them that played it will push for it to be 'members only'with a hefty fee. Of course I am sure they will complain if there is a $10 - $30k annual fee too since the Refuge annual at last look was well under that. And that they did not vote to increase their fees to help maintain the course if I recall correctly. Cant have your cake and eat it too....

Havasu is not a destination location. There is not enough other entertainment and attractions to attract people to fly in for a weekend of golf, dining, shows, etc,,,, like you can get in Vegas or Phoenix areas.

I agree, there is not enough year round money in town for the place to stay high rent private only. Maybe a yearly or seasonal packages that are 20-25% higher than Havasu golf club to keep the image up. Id buy a seasonal if the rate was right. Not overpaying because it just is not that exclusive of a place and the conditions of the course even at its best were the same as across town.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I am sure the homeowners who started al the fuss way back and want the place as their own private course for all eight of them that played it will push for it to be 'members only'with a hefty fee. Of course I am sure they will complain if there is a $10 - $30k annual fee too since the Refuge annual at last look was well under that. And that they did not vote to increase their fees to help maintain the course if I recall correctly. Cant have your cake and eat it too....

Havasu is not a destination location. There is not enough other entertainment and attractions to attract people to fly in for a weekend of golf, dining, shows, etc,,,, like you can get in Vegas or Phoenix areas.

I agree, there is not enough year round money in town for the place to stay high rent private only. Maybe a yearly or seasonal packages that are 20-25% higher than Havasu golf club to keep the image up. Id buy a seasonal if the rate was right. Not overpaying because it just is not that exclusive of a place and the conditions of the course even at its best were the same as across town.
Correct, when we were trying to buy the course, the homeowners, the vote in increase the hoa dues needed a 2/3 majority to pass, didn’t happen. It was minimal like $300 a quarter ti $400 something.

Kjp

Reaction score
Well lets all hope for the best... The crowded golf season ends soon enough, so the main money making opp for this time of year fades away with the RVs into the sunset.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
New name for the place , too bad there aren't any wolves in the area just coyotes lol-

Iron Wolf Golf and Country Club at the Refuge

The private versus public versus both information release is the big headline that you can see many people asking about, should be interesting what the plans are. Its a tricky balancing act. If people plunk down some coin for memberships they are not going to be fans of the public getting in considering what they plunked down, and if the public can get it they are not always happy because the members might get the preferred tee times.

TCHB

Reaction score
There is so many members that have joined Havasu Golf Club from the Refuge that would not go back. The new owner will have his challenges.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
There is so many members that have joined Havasu Golf Club from the Refuge that would not go back. The new owner will have his challenges.
New owner and new golf course.
People need to erase the memory of what happened in the past and give the new owner a chance to make it happen
They've been doing a lot of work there every day. It's not going to be easy to make that course look great over night

Singleton

Reaction score
People need to erase the memory of what happened in the past and give the new owner a chance to make it happen
They've been doing a lot of work there every day. It's not going to be easy to make that course look great over night

I don’t see those members that left and joined HCG returning. Net new members will be difficult to obtain IMO. Once open, I will review membership options, but don’t see a second club membership in my future. I just moved from a full member to social only at my current club.

dspracing

Reaction score
Correct, when we were trying to buy the course, the homeowners, the vote in increase the hoa dues needed a 2/3 majority to pass, didn’t happen. It was minimal like $300 a quarter ti $400 something.
It was far from minimal. It was more like $400/quarter to $300/month.

MooreMoney

Reaction score
He’s cleaning up hole one right now. Crews out there cleaning out the overgrown trees and shrubs. I can already say it looks great from our home. He’s lived up to everything he said he was going to do so far.

Everyone is so quick to be so negative around here…Let’s give him a chance

Kjp

Reaction score
If you want to avoid the crowds and a six plus hour round, I would pay a little more. But not a big buy in, that's ridiculous in this town.

Kjp

Reaction score
It was far from minimal. It was more like $400/quarter to $300/month.
Just my .02, if one bought a home there with the premise of having a manicured course in your backyard, one can probably afford the increase.

Kjp

Reaction score
He’s cleaning up hole one right now. Crews out there cleaning out the overgrown trees and shrubs. I can already say it looks great from our home. He’s lived up to everything he said he was going to do so far.

Everyone is so quick to be so negative around here…Let’s give him a chance
Agreed, I think one challenge will be keeping the new white sand, well white. With the winds and such, it will quickly discolor and become the usual town grit we are all used to around here. But, that is still better than the rock mix that it used to be.

TCHB

Reaction score
If you want to avoid the crowds and a six plus hour round, I would pay a little more. But not a big buy in, that's ridiculous in this town.
Funny you said that. In the winter in Havasu Snow bird crowd can slow all the golf down. It drives me crazy to see these birds playing from wrong tee boxes and sitting out 270 yards waiting for the green to clear.

Kjp

Reaction score
Funny you said that. In the winter in Havasu Snow bird crowd can slow all the golf down. It drives me crazy to see these birds playing from wrong tee boxes and sitting out 270 yards waiting for the green to clear.
Emerald is just as bad or worse, 8 hour rounds...

Its not just the wrong tee boxes, etc,, it is slower pace of play the six minute tee time intervals. Refuge used to have 12 min intervals I recall. I get the opportunity to make an extra buck by squeezing more players in, but when you are waiting to tee off and a foursome is in the 'kill zone' 150 to 250 yds away waiting for a foursome to chip up, and they are waiting for a group on the green, it just gets ridiculous. I had the course ranger at Emerald telling me to tee off while a foursome was about 170 out on hole one. I told him no, that group is in the kill zone for me.