WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The Ridge and other "minimalist" style wallet thoughts

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
ridge.JPG

Thinking about trying one of these. Pros, Cons, Thoughts ?

I have a smaller bifold wallet now that holds up to 8 cards and bills. I like it, but am wondering about this style that is even more compact.

AZBrummett21

It's a Brummett
Reaction score
I have the ridge wallet. It’s about two or three years old and I still like it. The only drawback to it is the cards rub together when you pull them in and out.
image-2020-06-26-09:04:19-653.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AEA

Reaction score
They look to me like they would be too rigid. My traditional wallet has some compliance to help with comfort.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I have the ridge wallet. It’s about two or three years old and I still like it. The only drawback to it is the cards rub together when you pull them in and out.
View attachment 892973

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a good point I didnt think of. Have you see any abnormal wear on the cards because of that? I just had 1 of my credit cards break on the mag stripe, the other the chip stopped working. Not a big deal, I just ordered new ones, I am just wondering if my wallet was part of the cause.

I am using a Common Fibers carbon fiber wallet now. I do still like it a lot.
wallett.JPG
wallett 2.JPG

HitIt

Reaction score
Tried em. Didn't like them. Throw a deck of cards in your pocket for a few days and see how much you enjoy the experience. Even thoguth I try ot to carry a bunch of crap in my wallet, it is also nice to have a spot for a random receipt and extra cash. I ended up with this:

If you want something a little nicer and are willing to fork out a little cash, Belroy makes some nice stuff. This is one of their smaller models:

I was just on the hunt for a new wallet earlier this year, looking for something smallish, and that is what I came up with. Hope it helps.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Tried em. Didn't like them. Throw a deck of cards in your pocket for a few days and see how much you enjoy the experience. Even thoguth I try ot to carry a bunch of crap in my wallet, it is also nice to have a spot for a random receipt and extra cash. I ended up with this:

If you want something a little nicer and are willing to fork out a little cash, Belroy makes some nice stuff. This is one of their smaller models:

I was just on the hunt for a new wallet earlier this year, looking for something smallish, and that is what I came up with. Hope it helps.

The "deck of cards" feeling was my exact concern LOL. I'll have to try that and see how it works.

That wallet is pretty much exactly what I am using now with my Common Fibers piece. The carbon fiber in it is not rigid, but not as pliable as a leather wallet.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Hardside wallets are terrible in your back/any pocket.

agree w Hitit - Belroys work well.

As a "dad" I've received all kinds of wallet gifts and always go back to leather.

UD

Taboma

Reaction score
View attachment 892964

Thinking about trying one of these. Pros, Cons, Thoughts ?

I have a smaller bifold wallet now that holds up to 8 cards and bills. I like it, but am wondering about this style that is even more compact.

Doesn't look very damned comfortable to my ole bony ass 😖

More years ago than I care to recount, at a boat show purchased a bi-fold wallet made from synthetic (Dacron ?) sailcloth. Was thin, light, comfortable and held up to wear and tear for decades. Found and purchased a similar one at the SD County fair 8 years or so ago, holding up amazingly well and I only wished I'd purchased a few more.

X-rated

Reaction score
I’m on my second Ridge, I love em!! Carry it in a front pocket, usually about 6-8 cards and as much folding cash as I think I need. The deck of cards analogy is not really accurate, it’s exactly the same size as a credit card and maybe 3/8 inch thick with 8 CC’s.

HitIt

Reaction score
More years ago than I care to recount, at a boat show purchased a bi-fold wallet made from synthetic (Dacron ?) sailcloth. ...only wished I'd purchased a few more.

I considered one of these. I like the boating tie in and the concept seems pretty solid, too. I think we get points for incorporating boating content in to this thread.

HitIt

Reaction score
The deck of cards analogy is not really accurate, it’s exactly the same size as a credit card and maybe 3/8 inch thick with 8 CC’s.

A deck of cards is 5/8" thick (sans box). Take out a few cards, tape them together, and give it a trial run :cool:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
My buddy has one and he swears by it.. I don’t think I could get used to it.

Taboma

Reaction score
I considered one of these. I like the boating tie in and the concept seems pretty solid, too. I think we get points for incorporating boating content in to this thread.

At least there's something I can afford that's for sale at a boat show, certainly not the boats or the beer. :oops:

zhandfull

Reaction score
Gave up a wallet in the back pocket years ago. Just use a simple money clip now in front pocket.
image.jpg

DLC

Reaction score
my every day wallet top pic

bottom pic is my Friday pay day wallet, I go back to my everyday on Saturday morning!

you can get these wallets everywhere, I usually get mine at staples in a bag of 5.

6095A9EB-A681-4986-9D53-3966793333F0.jpeg

F0A0476F-3CF1-4A03-A0F2-A1553F2F6BCC.jpeg

retaocleg

Reaction score
I have one, love the rfid blocking…….till I found a phone wallet that handles all the rfid and has a phone case, all in one

besides, if we go anywhere, wife carries my shit......…i hate my pockets being full

Dog

Reaction score
One of these in combination with a carbon fiber money clip in the front pocket.

retaocleg

Reaction score
got in on amazon......type in rfid and the phone make...…...violla! has a heavy ass magnet to stay closed when lots o cash stuffed in there, but if you are married like me, not some much needed, I don't get to carry surplus of fun tickets...…….cost about 30, tried the cheapy first, but the magnet wouldn't keep it closed, so ended up with this
and funny thing is, I now buy shorts with the phone pocket...……….usually Carhartt denim carpenter shorts, they have a phone pocket lower on the leg, and fit my shit perfect...could care less if i look like i just got off the job site, the benefit of getting old, i couldn't care less......…utility, function before form......…next up, jumpers!.....easy on, easy off
phone.jpg

Last edited:

Red-snapper

Reaction score
7D1529D4-9167-45C0-BF93-850C11131115.jpeg
A91AD074-432A-4F35-8E93-14B8B87C384F.jpeg
View attachment 893228
Love my Ridge. Had it for almost four years now and I’ll never go back to the traditional bifold. I keep it in my font pocket as well. The pic of the card is what can happen after awhile of pulling it out the lazy way. You’re supposed to pinch the bottom after you push the cards up then pull it out. But if it’s a chipped card you don’t have to worry about messing them up. If you’re worried you won’t like it buy the cheaper one and try it out. That’s what I did and when I have to get a new one I’m going with the ti one.

Demoralizer

Reaction score
I’ve carried the Dango Dapper Wallet for about 2yrs now and have no complaints. Good for 2x IDs, 4x Credit Cards and plenty of cash I have been pretty happy. Oh and it has a bottle opener...

Attachments

• A140207B-E8FF-43BE-81EB-AA57322F5942.jpeg
    A140207B-E8FF-43BE-81EB-AA57322F5942.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 47