WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The road to Glamis!!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Well when we were on the top of them we could see all around, so I’m not sure why they wouldn’t be the “big dunes?” Lol.

Have your friend take you China wall, and the dunes behind China. Leave your kids at the trailer.

On that note my trailer got stuck on the ball, and holy shit balls is that a pain in the ass when you are dealing with a motorhome. Lol. 45 minutes and finally help from a neighbor to get it off..

I am wore out, taking a shower and going to bed.
View attachment 841356

Is anyone besides me confused by this??

:scratchinhead:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Word! Lol.

And, Dave?
I’ve noticed some folks that get car sick in the starboard seat don’t get sick when they drive;)

Personally, I think part of the reason you’re not having fun is you don’t have gears to shift.:cool:

I bet Joe and/or I could show you a completely different Glamis.

He's camping in the lower washes and hanging out at the drags and Olds.

Ugg.

@RiverDave could at Least take the clan to Boardmanville to Try and redeem himself!

@jones performance

Is Courtney there??

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I drive out to Olds etc.. I started having beers when we got back and they wanted to run back to the drags so Tyler drove.
And? Did you get motion sickness when you were driving?
Seen it a few times with noobs.
Got sick in the car but put the wheel in their hand and they’re fine motion sickness wise. Maybe they get more nervous about driving and picking correct lines? I dunno.
Seen a guy that can drive a boat in the snot like nobody’s business still have to take a Dramamine to handle the dunes:D
Everyone’s wired different.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
He's camping in the lower washes and hanging out at the drags and Olds.

Ugg.

@RiverDave could at Least take the clan to Boardmanville to Try and redeem himself!

@jones performance

Is Courtney there??
Wonder if he got out to swingset?
Or any of the poles?

One of our favorite rides is the sunset cruise.
Get the kids on their 80s and cruise out through the valleys and get them back in there. Find a high dune and hang out a while. Let the kids burn some energy, explore a little then cruise back after the sun goes down.

A9FDDF7F-AB09-443A-B640-4C65B5628676.jpeg
2C99A9BA-FF0F-429E-B7B4-4A5435DC3203.jpeg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Wonder if he got out to swingset?
Or any of the poles?

One of our favorite rides is the sunset cruise.
Get the kids on their 80s and cruise out through the valleys and get them back in there. Find a high dune and hang out a while. Let the kids burn some energy, explore a little then cruise back after the sun goes down.

View attachment 841510 View attachment 841511

Funny you brought up the sunset run, that's exactly what I told him to do!

325941_2651440238633_37352891_o.jpg

wallnutz

Reaction score
And? Did you get motion sickness when you were driving?
Seen it a few times with noobs.
Got sick in the car but put the wheel in their hand and they’re fine motion sickness wise. Maybe they get more nervous about driving and picking correct lines? I dunno.
Seen a guy that can drive a boat in the snot like nobody’s business still have to take a Dramamine to handle the dunes:D
Everyone’s wired different.
I get motion sickness when I’m driving. Worse if I’m not leading. Shit just started about three years ago. I have to wear a patch now.:(
I have asked my Dr. and asked a neurologist and neither can figure what has happened. When we go ocean boating I also started getting sick un less I’m driving. Never had any kind of motion sickness ever before. Sucks getting old I guess.

welldigger00

Reaction score
I raced an off road race the last two years down in Baja. The first year I co drove in a trophy truck. Imagine running through all the dunes, whoops, jumps, etc, but having to look at an iPad the whole time and not out the front window. Needless to say the first year I barfed in my hat. The next year I drove, and did fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Have your friend take you China wall, and the dunes behind China. Leave your kids at the trailer.

Is anyone besides me confused by this??

:scratchinhead:

Joe I was there for one day. We didn’t get out there until 8-9 pm Friday. woke up Saturday had breakfast and watched kids ride all morning. Went to olds to go see friends. Came back had food and went back to the drags.. Visited friends for a couple beers and then drove back to camp.

next morning watched kids all day and went home.

For me I’d rather watch the kids have fun all day and cook food and drink beers.. That’s just me. I don’t like the sand because I can’t “read it”. It’s hard for me to see the drop offs and step ups etc. not sure if that’s my eyes or what, but it literally all looks the same to me.

As for the trailer getting stuck on the ball.. Sometimes ya have to jump on the back of your truck to get it to release.. That really wasn’t an option with the Diesel pusher program. This trailer is difficult to get it to release.. Took me and a neighbor about an hour before it finally came off

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The helmets + a windshield = stifling.. lol. To do it again I wouldn’t run a windshield.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
The helmets + a windshield = stifling.. lol. To do it again I wouldn’t run a windshield.
I think that would help you. My wife needs her helmet shield cracked for fresh air and she seems to be ok in Glamis. In the dirt she is fine

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Joe I was there for one day. We didn’t get out there until 8-9 pm Friday. woke up Saturday had breakfast and watched kids ride all morning. Went to olds to go see friends. Came back had food and went back to the drags.. Visited friends for a couple beers and then drove back to camp.

For me I’d rather watch the kids have fun all day and cook food and drink beers.. That’s just me. I don’t like the sand because I can’t “read it”. It’s hard for me to see the drop offs and step ups etc. not sure if that’s my eyes or what, but it literally all looks the same to me.

As for the trailer getting stuck on the ball.. Sometimes ya have to jump on the back of your truck to get it to release.. That really wasn’t an option with the Diesel pusher program. This trailer is difficult to get it to release.. Took me and a neighbor about an hour before it finally came off

I'm with ya. Nothing better than watching your kids at that age. Those times go by Way too fast. Hope they had a Great time!!

I'm not Great at reading the sand either. I can lead if I Have to, but it won't be anywhere near as fun as a ride with guys that Know how to read the sand.

They have tried to teach me. They can tell by the ripples from the wind how the dunes will be that day. Which side will be smooth and which side will drop off. There is an art to reading the dunes. I'm happy just to follow band not lead. And like I told ya, the best times to ride are when the sun is Low in the sky. The shadows help you to read. It's just unsafe to ride during the day.

Have someone look at that trailer tongue set up. Properly adjusted, it should come right off. Something is Way wrong if you're jumping on the bumper and shit.

Glad you had a mostly good trip.

:thumbup:

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I'm not Great at reading the sand either. I can lead if I Have to, but it won't be anywhere near as fun as a ride with guys that Know how to read the sand.

They have tried to teach me. They can tell by the ripples from the wind how the dunes will be that day. Which side will be smooth and which side will drop off. There is an art to reading the dunes. I'm happy just to follow band not lead. And like I told ya, the best times to ride are when the sun is Low in the sky. The shadows help you to read. It's just unsafe to ride during the day.

:thumbup:
Yep. Following the right people can make it awesome...or fucked. ;)
I know a few guys that have that talent you describe.
I can get someone from point A to point B, but not as fun of a ride as someone that can really read it. .

Meaney77

Reaction score

Could you have dumped the air bags on the coach?

Melloyellovector

Reaction score

You just need to go with right group. Just like Havasu, if you only went once and you went to the channel and pirates cove only. You’d be like ehhh it’s alright, honestly had more fun going to and from the stops w kids jumping in water.

Drunk, windshield, helmet and passenger no Fun for many. Or maybe your estrogen levels are high, it’s usually chicks that get car sick in glamis, lmao

My son Noah can ride in glamis no problem, Boat - drive or passenger any speed or water no problem. Drive my rail in glamis no problem. Put him in passenger seat of my rail in glamis 20 mins it’s puke time with or with out windshield. Lol
Odd thing is he’s fine in buddy’s rail, larger desert dynamic car. More room between driver / passenger and sides of car.
No windshield, helmet open up face some or pumper, and prob better if you drive

There are many areas you can have kids follow on rides, small dunes. Load up the kids for faster ride out to the swing set and volleyball for kids while adults hang out. Flag pole w little kid slide
Sunset ridge, hill, etc at sunset is unreal if you haven’t seen, pretty much where the drags empty out to as the crowds thin. The party continues up there. Multiple locations.

Over to boardmanville for doing what you love, drinking
Out to duners diner for breakfast and more of what you love drinking
Cross the bridge over to the border wall for pics and hanging out and shit more drinking.
As a passenger drinking not as a driver ;)

At rear of a pack you can follow 15 plus cars etc like an enormous sand train. Not as much reading of sand needed just gas and turn left or right. Don’t do random acts until your comfortable.

Or stay in Havasu on the dirt roads glamis is closed :cool:

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Yep. Following the right people can make it awesome...or fucked. ;)
I know a few guys that have that talent you describe.
I can get someone from point A to point B, but not as fun of a ride as someone that can really read it. .

^^^^This
I rarely lead, it's slow and boring. Couple of our guys are pretty good, but one is Jedi or something. We ride hard and fast but he's never lost and hardly ever gets us in a surprise situation. Been at pismo riding for miles, dark and the fog roles in, can't see 10' and were way in the back, 15 minutes later we end up at camp. Don't know how.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
^^^^This
I rarely lead, it's slow and boring. Couple of our guys are pretty good, but one is Jedi or something. We ride hard and fast but he's never lost and hardly ever gets us in a surprise situation. Been at pismo riding for miles, dark and the fog roles in, can't see 10' and were way in the back, 15 minutes later we end up at camp. Don't know how.

We have a different guy lead at night. He always rolls us right into camp. I have no Fucking clue how he does it!!!!!!!!!!!

One thing I want to say though...

You NEVER put the least experienced guy in the back. The back guy should be just as experienced as the guy in front.

Why?

Cause when the leader does a circle back (every so often) he NEEDS to see his back guy, and get a nod from him that the rest of the group is ok. A good leader needs to Always know what's behind him, as well as what is in front of him.

My favorite spot is #2 behind the leader, or, in front of the back guy. You can fuck around a bit, if you know everyone ahead is ok. :)

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I don’t like the sand because I can’t “read it”. It’s hard for me to see the drop offs and step ups etc. not sure if that’s my eyes or what, but it literally all looks the same to me.

A lot has to do with what time of day your riding. When the sun is high around Noon to 4pm there is very little shadows so depth perception is minimal at best. We usually try to do a morning ride and get back to camp for lunch. Then we either do a late afternoon/sunset ride or a night ride or both, lol. It's best to be in the middle of a pack until you can comfortably negotiate the dunes and all your surroundings. You can get in trouble quick if your not careful !!!

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
We have a different guy lead at night. He always rolls us right into camp. I have no Fucking clue how he does it!!!!!!!!!!!

One thing I want to say though...

You NEVER put the least experienced guy in the back. The back guy should be just as experienced as the guy in front.

Why?

Cause when the leader does a circle back (every so often) he NEEDS to see his back guy, and get a nod from him that the rest of the group is ok. A good leader needs to Always know what's behind him, as well as what is in front of him.

My favorite spot is #2 behind the leader, or, in front of the back guy. You can fuck around a bit, if you know everyone ahead is ok. :)

Or... everyone just has radio comms and the leader and sweeper are routinely giving updates [emoji23]

Horse and buggy is no longer preferred mode of transportation Joe lol

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Or... everyone just has radio comms and the leader and sweeper are routinely giving updates [emoji23]

I'm 62, and I'm still not ready for a cage bro. Maybe someday. Who knows!

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
^^^^This
:)

I've always had a pretty spot on sense of direction in Glamis day or night. It honestly was quite easy for me. Don't know why, others I knew struggled with it.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The latch to release the ball wouldn’t pull back which is why it was stuck if I dump the bags on the couch with the Jack still down it probably would’ve blown the jack off the front of the trailer. After multiple attempts of trying to go forwards and backwards to get the latch To release I finally raised the jack on the trailer dumped the bags on the motorhome to get a different angle on the trailer ball and then with the Jack was able to get the latch to release

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
It’s not near as fun with a cage but I make it to work on Monday. Otherwise I’d be right there with you.

You have far more important reasons to drive a cage than just getting to work on Monday.

:respect:

PS...

I have an extra quad anytime you want to ride.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I've always had a pretty spot on sense of direction in Glamis day or night. It honestly was quite easy for me. Don't know why, others I knew struggled with it.
Same I know where I am at most of the time. In Glamis I can do a run from gecko to olds in 10-15 min or we can take our time and do it in an hour. Night time same pace is almost faster at night too

Tank

Reaction score

Only bone I've ever broken on my body - Going down China Wall in 3rd or 4th on my Banshee. Didn't see the whoops at the bottom from the top of the dune. Launched! Micro fractured wrist.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Only bone I've ever broken on my body - Going down China Wall in 3rd or 4th on my Banshee. Didn't see the whoops at the bottom from the top of the dune. Launched! Micro fractured wrist.

:(

That musta been a fun ride back...NOT!!

My feet are fucked up. Some weird shit going on that I have to get surgery for. I asked the doc, how does this happen?? He said it can be hereditary, or from repeated micro tears, over and over, in the same spot.

Oh...like where my feet would be on the pegs?????? Cause that's exactly where they are fucked up!!!!!!

Getting old strikes again. Hope your wrist healed completely.

Gelcoater

Reaction score

I'm 62, and I'm still not ready for a cage bro. Maybe someday. Who knows!
Joe and I are apparently cut from the same cloth:D
Tail man is just as important as lead. More so actually.
No radios needed, just proper protocol.

Tank

Reaction score
:(

That musta been a fun ride back...NOT!!

My feet are fucked up. Some weird shit going on that I have to get surgery for. I asked the doc, how does this happen?? He said it can be hereditary, or from repeated micro tears, over and over, in the same spot.

Oh...like where my feet would be on the pegs?????? Cause that's exactly where they are fucked up!!!!!!

Getting old strikes again. Hope your wrist healed completely.

Yeah, the ride back SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED!!! Healed up all good though thanks.

And I totally get that about the foot injury. The bottom of my arches would ache after riding all day on he pegs and jumping and shit. Even with riding boots. Hope you get that taken care of and feel better.

RCDave

Reaction score
The latch to release the ball wouldn’t pull back which is why it was stuck if I dump the bags on the couch with the Jack still down it probably would’ve blown the jack off the front of the trailer. After multiple attempts of trying to go forwards and backwards to get the latch To release I finally raised the jack on the trailer dumped the bags on the motorhome to get a different angle on the trailer ball and then with the Jack was able to get the latch to release

I had a trailer coupler like that before. Try blocking the rear tire of the trailer and slightly pull the tow vehicle forward before engaging the emergency brake. It might help.

Sometimes the part of the coupler, engaging the rear of the trailer ball, get jammed with any kind of pressure coming back on it.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I had a trailer coupler like that before. Try blocking the rear tire of the trailer and slightly pull the tow vehicle forward before engaging the emergency brake. It might help.

Sometimes the part of the coupler, engaging the rear of the trailer ball, get jammed with any kind of pressure coming back on it.

I chocked the wheels in the trailer both directions and e ride pushin:pullin, Lol you name it.. thing was as stuck as I’ve ever seen.
When it did pop off it made a noise that raised the hairs on the back of my neck!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, the ride back SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED!!! Healed up all good though thanks.

And I totally get that about the foot injury. The bottom of my arches would ache after riding all day on he pegs and jumping and shit. Even with riding boots. Hope you get that taken care of and feel better.

Thanks Tank. It was diagnosed about 2 years ago now. I have to be off my feet for a month after the surgery.

Like that's gonna happen...

:rolleyes:

RCDave

Reaction score
I chocked the wheels in the trailer both directions and e ride pushin:pullin, Lol you name it.. thing was as stuck as I’ve ever seen.
When it did pop off it made a noise that raised the hairs on the back of my neck!
Yikes!!!!

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
That almost sounds like your ball was too big:p:D:D. Actually, I have had some wicked torque on the hitch in glamis before, however I was camping way out in soft sand.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Have you tried a different ball?:D

Gelcoater

Reaction score
A PSA
A2E0FBC4-2559-4CAC-8263-02A726C8419B.jpeg

The ranger station has an air compressor free of charge if you look along the fence there’s a post.
I’ve found it running even when the station is closed during the off weeks and no one is there.
Pretty handy. It gets the job done pretty quickly.

endobear

Reaction score
It’s just not a proper trip without at least one pic of someone nodded off by the fire:D

I'll keep looking for the adults passed out pics

Attachments

• 20170326_211449_resized.jpg
    20170326_211449_resized.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 81

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
A PSA
View attachment 842084
The ranger station has an air compressor free of charge if you look along the fence there’s a post.
I’ve found it running even when the station is closed during the off weeks and no one is there.
Pretty handy. It gets the job done pretty quickly.

I just bought this puppy for my trailer. Generator runs it just fine. We have one at the river house too. Works bitchen!

DEWALT 18-Gauge Brad Nailer and 6 Gal. Heavy Duty Pancake Electric Air Compressor Combo Kit (1-Tool)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...pressor-Combo-Kit-1-Tool-DW1KIT18PP/206577074

Also comes with a brad nailer for installing those pesky crown mouldings!

:D