WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The Second Look = WOW!! Factor.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
I understand there will be Snickers and possibly outright Laughing ,BUT!! When driving through a Lot today I noticed a Black SUV? Crossover or ? Term. I did a double take and turned around honestly thought it was a lincoln, or possible Foreign make. I was suprised to see the Tag it was a Hyundai Palisade. I would be proud to be seen anytime, anywhere with this vehicle. The front end is ? but the Interior was just beautiful and the side and rear were so very stylish. I know that their 100,000 mile Warranty is incredible. I believe Hyundai continues to live down a terrible early reputation and service history, but if other models in the line mean anything you will be seeing more and more of these Good Looking Vehicles in the future.

traquer

Reaction score
I rented a Kia in Texas last year, and it was a POS. It felt like it was going to fall apart, and for example when I tried to wash the windshield I realized you couldn't raise the wipers more than a few inches or they made contact with the hood lol. Lots of other similar engineering mistakes that I haven't seen in a long time.

I think the Koreans need another 10-20 years to make a car that would be acceptable to me.
My 2c

TOBTEK

Reaction score
Yes. Good looking mid sized SUV.

Couple things to think about though....

That 100k warranty isn’t a full comprehensive bumper to bumper. That’s the power train warranty. I believe the full warranty is the same as most Jap imports 3/36.
We have a family friend that has one of these, she’s had Several tech issues with it already.
I personally wouldn’t own ANY newer vehicle without a full warranty. I see too many issues with electronics these days.

Also...... a wise customer told me once that still rings true. It doesn’t matter what any car costs at the time of purchase. Only matters what it costs you during your time of ownership. Meaning if a more expensive vehicle has less depreciation during the time you own it.

Just sold my 2018 Toyota Tundra. Bought it for 43400 plus tax. Sold it with 73,000 miles for 40k. That’s going to be very hard to duplicate with any Korean car. Their rate of the depreciation is much much higher.

All this said...... not taking anything way from the Palisade OR Telluride. Hyundai and Kia did an outstanding job designing this new car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Odd this comes up. At my buddy's shop this week I saw a Hyundai mini van thing. My buddy said, look inside. Very nice, very Honda Odyssey inspired. His take was pretty simple. He wouldn't own one, but thought it would be a nice vehicle to rent if you and family fly in somewhere.

This one was a couple years old, very nice interior, and 100k+ on the odometer. In for bank 1 cam phaser, but probably also a timing chain.

zhandfull

Reaction score
Kia and Hyundai are a good value. They look as good or better than many other SUV’s.

I posted awhile back how Kia put a brand new motor in the wife’s Sorento at 98k miles after it developed a rod knock. Walked out with no charge for anything, not even the loaner car.

Resale is terrible though.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Speaking as a former bmw and saab dealer I would not be afraid to own one of the Korean makes. The Genesis(Hyundai)is a meticulously beautiful vehicle, the Kia k900 is just as nice.
Just have to realize their low end entry vehicles are just that, entry level.

Looking Glass

Reaction score
Speaking as a former bmw and saab dealer I would not be afraid to own one of the Korean makes. The Genesis(Hyundai)is a meticulously beautiful vehicle, the Kia k900 is just as nice.
Just have to realize their low end entry vehicles are just that, entry level.

But!!, what if a Person is the type that although it may be considered "Entry Level" is just 100% satisfied with this Vehicle as some are with a Mercedes?, understanding that there may be some if's and and but's?

red ant

Reaction score
Could be wrong, but isn't there a engine recall on almost all Hyundai models right now? The looks have really improved.

TOBTEK

Reaction score
Could be wrong, but isn't there a engine recall on almost all Hyundai models right now? The looks have really improved.

Oil consumption issues on a few models I’ve heard of.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
But!!, what if a Person is the type that although it may be considered "Entry Level" is just 100% satisfied with this Vehicle as some are with a Mercedes?, understanding that there may be some if's and and but's?
That's ok🙂

Looking Glass

Reaction score
Kia and Hyundai are a good value. They look as good or better than many other SUV’s.

I posted awhile back how Kia put a brand new motor in the wife’s Sorento at 98k miles after it developed a rod knock. Walked out with no charge for anything, not even the loaner car.

Resale is terrible though.

There was a discussion in here about how terrible the resale is on Mercedes? I see them often, and wonder what is wrong with it?

zhandfull

Reaction score
There was a discussion in here about how terrible the resale is on Mercedes? I see them often, and wonder what is wrong with it?
Reason I like the Kia is it’s relatively simply. If needed I can still work on it myself. Mercedes and BMW not simple at all and the parts are expensive.

PilotRyan

Reaction score
My dad just bought a 2019 Genesis G70 with the 3.3 twin turbo motor. It’s the Design Edition which is fully loaded minus the adaptive electronic suspension. It only comes in a color called Black Forest Green, with a creme quilted leather interior which is beautiful.

He bought it with 3k miles for $37k, it was $50k new.

I picked it up and drove it to my house to do a major paint correction and ceramic coatings on the paint and leather (over 30 hours for near perfection). I was SHOCKED, not only by the quality of the materials and interior but also by the seriously impressive performance. This thing is seriously so fast. Enjoy some after pictures...
IMG_3023.jpg

IMG_3022.jpg

IMG_3021.jpg

IMG_3020.jpg

IMG_3018.jpg

IMG_3017.jpg

IMG_3016.jpg

IMG_3007.jpg

IMG_3015.jpg

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
I rented a Kia in Texas last year, and it was a POS. It felt like it was going to fall apart, and for example when I tried to wash the windshield I realized you couldn't raise the wipers more than a few inches or they made contact with the hood lol. Lots of other similar engineering mistakes that I haven't seen in a long time.

I think the Koreans need another 10-20 years to make a car that would be acceptable to me.
My 2c
A buddy was also impressed with Kias when they began to look like Mercedes. He rented one and said the same thing. Junk.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Oil consumption issues on a few models I’ve heard of.

Oil consumption is an issue on lots of cars right now...not limited to Hyundai/Kia. To meet CAFE standards, we have lots of creative solutions...one of which is low tension piston rings, which require an advanced PCV system to maintain ring seal...along with highly formulated engine oils.

That being said, I'll stick with my 20 year old toyota and GM products...they'll outlast anything sold today until basic parts become unavailable, but I have decent stock of most of what I should need over the next 20 years.

Last edited: