WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The Shocking Truth about shocks

yz450mm

Reaction score
This belongs in the truck Tech section, but I felt that it wouldn't get any exposure so here it is. I will keep it short and simple.

My new truck is a towing beast, but towing the TH on the way home from Newport Dunes last weekend it was bouncing a little more than I would have liked. I ordered some Bilstein 5100's, and installed them tonight. Since I was bored in the shop tonight, I cut apart the so-called Rancho OEM off-road shocks that I pulled off, and here is what I found.

If you have Rancho Shocks on your ride, take that shit off and throw them in the trash immediately. The actual dampening tube on them is less than 1.34" internal diameter, which is small for a car, not to mention a large truck.

I have no opinion for or against Bilsteins yet, but every review that I read about the 5100 series was excellent. After looking at these pile of shit Rancho shocks, anything else is better than these.

20200724_235118.jpg
20200724_235144.jpg
20200724_235026.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Backlash

Reaction score
Hell I remember when Mark Newhan was running 2.5's in his prerunners!! Those were the shit!

Now, you can buy these!! 😲

20181110_141932.jpg

yz450mm

Reaction score
Hell I remember when Mark Newhan was running 2.5's in his prerunners!! Those were the shit!

Now, you can buy these!! [emoji44]

View attachment 902267
Seriously, King Kong's came out and I thought the world would stop spinning. Now we were trying to fit more dampening on the rear end but can't, unless we re-engineer the rear mounts.

We are good now, I moved everything back a few inches to correct the CV angle and now we are ready to go race.

JayBreww

Reaction score
Seriously, King Kong's came out and I thought the world would stop spinning. Now we were trying to fit more dampening on the rear end but can't, unless we re-engineer the rear mounts.

We are good now, I moved everything back a few inches to correct the CV angle and now we are ready to go race.

Well then let’s go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yz450mm

Reaction score
Well then let’s go!

Need to replace all 4 CV joints with upgraded chromoly units, plus new axles... at least 4K, but we are almost ready. Don't want to go race until we are sure the car is going to hold up.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
...towing the TH on the way home from Newport Dunes last weekend it was bouncing a little more than I would have liked I ordered some Bilstein 5100's, and installed them tonight.

You were down the hill and didn’t visit? For shame, sir...

To the original topic, I put Bilstein 5100s on my Tahoe. One of the best things I ever did to it.

Runs2rch

Reaction score

To the original topic, I put Bilstein 5100s on my Tahoe. One of the best things I ever did to it.
5100's are a great shock. They last also.

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
I put 5100’s on my old f250. Made a would of difference! When my new truck is due for shocks that’s what it will receive.

Those Rancho shocks were cool in about 1996. I don’t think they worked any better then they do now. But they had the “cool factor” back then.

shunter2005

Reaction score
I put 4600's on my old Duramax and they rode great. My new to me '19 has Rancho, which I have never liked. I will go with Bilstein's when I change them out. What is the difference in the 4600's and 5100's other than one is OEM replacement and one is off road? What is the difference in ride?

racektm

Reaction score
I put 4600's on my old Duramax and they rode great. My new to me '19 has Rancho, which I have never liked. I will go with Bilstein's when I change them out. What is the difference in the 4600's and 5100's other than one is OEM replacement and one is off road? What is the difference in ride?
Whats better for a daily driver, 4600 or 5100?
We opt for the 4600 series on a daily driver and commuting vehicle. Most drivers probably wouldn't even notice a difference between the 4600 and 5100 on their commute under the same vehicle and circumstances. The only real differences come if that same vehicle had a higher center of gravity from a lift kit, or if that same vehicle has larger wheels and tires over factory specs. Thats when the benefit of the 5100 comes into play with appropriate valving to handle the added unsprung weight.

Mototrig

Reaction score
5100's are the way to go. Made a big difference when towing my TH

JayBreww

Reaction score

All California roads compare to off-road.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I put yellow Bilstein 4600’s on my wife’s Suburban not long ago.

Not really happy with them, serious lack of rebound damping especially in the rear.

Wife’s says my Silverado rides and drives way better...and I’ve got MT tires (Suburban has all-season tires).

I’m not putting 2.5” King’s on her pavement princess...King doesn’t have a 2” option but Fox does, so I’m gonna be swapping to these very soon.

And I’ll have a set of gently used yellow Bilstein 4600’s with maybe 4k miles on ‘em that I’ll be putting up for sale soon [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Im ready for longer shocks now that I leveled my 2500. Defineately going with 5100's, had them on the last truck (same damn truck....) and the difference is amazing VS your "average joe" monroe or factory shock

DMF

Reaction score
Anybody know if billsteins would work better for a 2500hd crew cab work truck with a service bed? Truck loaded weighs about 8,500lbs.

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
2016 Silverado High Country 4 WD 4 door. I already put the 5100’s on the rear - what am I supposed to put on the front to level it out. I’m not going to put spacers on top - did that on the last 1 and ruined the ride, I want a shock replacement if it exists to bring it to level - help if you can, please.

pronstar

Reaction score
2016 Silverado High Country 4 WD 4 door. I already put the 5100’s on the rear - what am I supposed to put on the front to level it out. I’m not going to put spacers on top - did that on the last 1 and ruined the ride, I want a shock replacement if it exists to bring it to level - help if you can, please.

They make a height-adjustable 5100...sounds perfect for your truck [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HPBoats83

Reaction score
they might be backordered like all the lift kits are? I’ve been trying to lift my 2018 F-350 but nobody has lift kits in stock (Carli, BDS, or Icon)

yz450mm

Reaction score
Anybody know if billsteins would work better for a 2500hd crew cab work truck with a service bed? Truck loaded weighs about 8,500lbs.
I would say yes, absolutely.

yz450mm

Reaction score
I've read that the two shocks are physically similar, except for the paint color and valving on the Piston. The 5100 are geared for off-road, which would give them more compression and rebound damping. The yellow 4600 would be more geared towards the street, with a softer ride.

yz450mm

Reaction score

Damn it, my bad... We're going to head back down to Newport Dunes towards the end of August, I will let you know when we are going.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
I put the Bilstein 5100's on my 07 3500 Dodge 5.9 diesel dually, and I am very happy with them. This truck is a tow machine, rides good empty or loaded. I would do it again. Also recenty did the Yukon Gear free spin kit on the hubs. Noticeable improvement in the way the truck feels through the steerring wheel, and now all that crap isn't spinning full time. Love the 2lo option as well. They say you get some MPG, cant confirm that yet.

Ultra247

Reaction score
I put Bilstein 5100's all around on my 2014 Tundra. Leveled the front using the shocks. Loved the level and ride is much better. I put the Magic on the back and the rear end sunk 2". Front end was pointed at the sky!!
I added rear air bags. Combination of the 5100's and the air bags and it's a whole new truck.
Definitely do the Bilsteins but bagging the rear made the biggest difference in towing ability!
Tundra wheels 3.jpg

Reactions: DWC

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
Put these on my tow Ram last weekend. Best. Decision. Ever!

View attachment 902468
I did the same thing, kings with the carlie system on my Ram. It's great. The kings hold the truck up so nice that i dont run a sway bar. Makes for a much better ride that way. Not towing though, lifted on 37" overland style truck.

pronstar

Reaction score
I did the same thing, kings with the carlie system on my Ram. It's great. The kings hold the truck up so nice that i dont run a sway bar. Makes for a much better ride that way. Not towing though, lifted on 37" overland style truck.

I ran triple-bypass King’s with deavers and long travel bags on my tow rig. Pulled a 42-foot toy hauler.

It handled the load amazingly well, very controlled.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
We did Bilstein 5100's on the Armada. Leveled it out and completely changed the ride. Truck feels much more solid and planted than it did before.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I put 5100's on my '01 Silverado Z71 with a 6" lift years ago. Made a HUGE difference over the piece of shit "fabtech" branded shocks that were on it. Then I put some Deavers on the rear and was blown away at the ride. Although now a few hundred pounds squats the rear a lot more than before

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

shunter2005

Reaction score
Whats better for a daily driver, 4600 or 5100?
We opt for the 4600 series on a daily driver and commuting vehicle. Most drivers probably wouldn't even notice a difference between the 4600 and 5100 on their commute under the same vehicle and circumstances. The only real differences come if that same vehicle had a higher center of gravity from a lift kit, or if that same vehicle has larger wheels and tires over factory specs. Thats when the benefit of the 5100 comes into play with appropriate valving to handle the added unsprung weight.
So really no difference unless you lift your truck? Mine is factory height and used for everyday and towing the boat. I don't want the rear end to squat. My '09 rode level, even when towing, once I put the 4600's on. The ride was much better than the OEM junk they used. I guess what I am wondering, how much stiffer or better would the ride be, if any with 5100's than with 4600's? The Rancho junk beats me to death on certain roads here.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
So really no difference unless you lift your truck? Mine is factory height and used for everyday and towing the boat. I don't want the rear end to squat. My '09 rode level, even when towing, once I put the 4600's on. The ride was much better than the OEM junk they used. I guess what I am wondering, how much stiffer or better would the ride be, if any with 5100's than with 4600's? The Rancho junk beats me to death on certain roads here.
Valving is ALL the difference. Valving can make a good shock versus a terrible one.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Shocks don’t make the back squat more or less. The springs hold the truck up. The shocks just dampen the springs. If you want to reduce squat from towing, get some air bags.

If it is stock height. the yellow 4600 and silver 5100s are pretty close in ride quality.

Most for a front strut application, most 5100s have adjustable front ride height to raise the front up to 2-2.5” in front. Or you can just leave the front at the stock height. 4600s are stock height only.

Generally the Bilsteins will make the truck ride stiffer/firmer with better body control. They are not perfect, but are a nice budget shock upgrade.

braindead

Reaction score

You do realize shocks don't hold the truck up?

pronstar

Reaction score
What's with the black label on the Kings?!

King offers custom colors..and it ain’t cheap LOL

Dirt King Fabrication uses black and gold King’s on some builds and they look awesome [emoji106]

IMG_4984.jpg

traquer

Reaction score
I have bilsteins on the Miata track car, love them. Last month my dad was over and accidentally lowered the jack from max height way too fast, (basically dropped it straight down from like 2 feet high lol). It was amazing to see the shocks work, zero drama or bounce like it was a mini Raptor lol

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I have bilsteins on the Miata track car, love them. Last month my dad was over and accidentally lowered the jack from max height way too fast, (basically dropped it straight down from like 2 feet high lol). It was amazing to see the shocks work, zero drama or bounce like it was a mini Raptor lol

What Bilsteins you run on the Miata?

I was going to do some custom motorsport Bilsteins on my RX7, but ended up having Fortune build a set of coilovers for the car to my specs.

traquer

Reaction score
What Bilsteins you run on the Miata?

I was going to do some custom motorsport Bilsteins on my RX7, but ended up having Fortune build a set of coilovers for the car to my specs.

I'm not sure, the previous owner had them setup. They're the silver bodied bilsteins, not the yellow ones. I was blown away after I test drove it and didn't ask any more questions lol. I will have Fat Cat Motorsports mess with them or build me something new if I need it when I start going faster