WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The Shop Is Open

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Clean install!

We just installed a couple of those units last week but didn't get any wall flanges for the freon lines, what did you use to finish it off on the outside?
Everything came with the unit as a DIY kit. The escutcheon plate was two part with a liner and the pipe wrap came with it too. I have gone to the plumbing department at Home Depot and bought a 2" escutcheon that fit sch40 pipe to make my own. Works good for the 1/2 and 1/4 lines. I too like the clean look. It's behind the shop where no one will see it. LOL:)

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Started back on the sheetrock. R19 in the walls and going to put R39 on top of the ceiling. LED light fixtures are up along with the speaker cans and speakers. Outlets are for, lights over the mill and lathe, power outlets and 220 volt equipment plugins. All the air lines are copper and built into the walls. One for the mill and one for the lathe. Nothing will be hanging from the ceiling so the crane can get by.

sheetrock 2.jpg
Lights.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Is everything you are DOJ g manual? Or have you considered a retrofit kneemill?

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Is everything you are DOJ g manual? Or have you considered a retrofit kneemill?
The main mill and lathe will be manual. The mill will have DRO and power feeds but, no retrofit CNC. I like to turn handles, even more now when it's a hobby. I do have a CNC router that runs Mach3. I use it to make name plates. It's great for home use and has many canned programs. There are plans to to make a CNC lathe that is for just turning train wheels too.

SLT Kota

Reaction score
I've always wondered, what did you build back in the day? I know you were an inventor, someone said something about seeing your stuff in airports?

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Worked on the wood panels that cover the crane brackets and just have them hanging for now. They are 2ft x 4ft wood panels so I can take them down and adjust the brackets if needed. The 3" channel will be in 8ft sections that bolt together so I can just take out one section. All the wood will get stained like the light fixture covers and then get a satin finish on it. The top trim will be white and the trim between the wood and sheetrock will be stained wood. Have to build a shelf that the 2.5"cable chain will run on. The crane winch dolly will have an air reel and a power reel on it too
20191231_145103.jpg
20191231_145245.jpg

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Nice clean installation.
I’ll be by tomorrow with a crock of Alices’ chili and a case of CL’s and my Mills Bros CD’d.
My new best friend.:D

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
I've always wondered, what did you build back in the day? I know you were an inventor, someone said something about seeing your stuff in airports?
I had a machine shop that did conceptual projects, a steel fab shop, sold many ideas and patents, bought and sold real estate, bought and sold businesses, sat on a few boards of directors and did business consulting for production problems. Now I'm retired and trying to perfect the afternoon nap.:D

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Had some things to do this morning and then was going to work on the sheetrock. Could not find my drywall saw anywhere today. I've had that saw for 40 years. I can't tell you how many jobs it's been on. The wife used it once to cut sod for stepping stones in the lawn but, lets not go there. Looked everywhere for it. Even went through three garbage cans to make sure it didn't get thrown out. After a two hour hunt I come to the conclusion that somehow it got left behind the last panel installed. She's coming down. So not to get everything dirty I washed my hands under the outside faucet and went to dry them with a few paper towels.:mad:

20200103_102604.jpg
20200103_102610.jpg

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Does your day ever start with the wife saying " Do you know what I want you to do for me?" The correct answer is, I'd love to know and I'll get right on it. That's not what was said but, that's another story. Two years ago I put up the Christmas lights at the last moment and put the hooks like 10ft apart and used some white one nail cable clamps. I was informed today it looked like a sagging baby diaper and the old clamps would be removed with new 3/4" hooks installed every 2 feet before the lights go up. Now I have some 100 hooks to install. Time to head to the shop. I need a hook holder for the drill motor. I'm sure I could hit Amazon and have one sent by Friday but that's not the Go-Fly way. Found a small piece of square aluminum. Put it in the mill, drilled a center hole then put a .125 cross groove .750 deep. Used a ball end mill on the bottom so the hook will center. Turned it over and tapped 1/4-20 for a bolt shank in the bottom. Throw it in the lathe and turn it down to .800. It holds the hook true because the beauty ring fits down inside it. Friday you know where I'll be all day.
20201125_074540.jpg
20201125_074624.jpg
20201125_074646.jpg
20201125_074728.jpg
20201125_074732.jpg

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Does your day ever start with the wife saying " Do you know what I want you to do for me?" The correct answer is, I'd love to know and I'll get right on it. That's not what was said but, that's another story. Two years ago I put up the Christmas lights at the last moment and put the hooks like 10ft apart and used some white one nail cable clamps. I was informed today it looked like a sagging baby diaper and the old clamps would be removed with new 3/4" hooks installed every 2 feet before the lights go up. Now I have some 100 hooks to install. Time to head to the shop. I need a hook holder for the drill motor. I'm sure I could hit Amazon and have one sent by Friday but that's not the Go-Fly way. Found a small piece of square aluminum. Put it in the mill, drilled a center hole then put a .125 cross groove .750 deep. Used a ball end mill on the bottom so the hook will center. Turned it over and tapped 1/4-20 for a bolt shank in the bottom. Throw it in the lathe and turn it down to .800. It holds the hook true because the beauty ring fits down inside it. Friday you know where I'll be all day. View attachment 945979 View attachment 945980 View attachment 945981 View attachment 945982 View attachment 945983

Wow! When you're done with that on Friday, can you send it down my way?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
That looks great!
Most I've made for my drill is a slotted dowel for sandpaper.

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
This thread is AWESOME. It would only be better if I could stop by daily. I wish I could tell your story to every college graduate I know that doesn’t know how to change a tire, or fix a leak. People like you will always have success, no matter the economy, politics, location

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
This thread is AWESOME. It would only be better if I could stop by daily. I wish I could tell your story to every college graduate I know that doesn’t know how to change a tire, or fix a leak. People like you will always have success, no matter the economy, politics, location
The shop has seen a lot of visitors this past week. My poor beer frig has been tapped. Years past I would give presentation during career day at the local High Schools. Always had a full room and the kids seemed to be fully engaged. Kind of miss it.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The shop has seen a lot of visitors this past week. My poor beer frig has been tapped. Years past I would give presentation during career day at the local High Schools. Always had a full room and the kids seemed to be fully engaged. Kind of miss it.

Well...

We've missed you.

Welcome back. 👍

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
How things change. In post #54 and #55 I had no plans to get a CNC Mil but, I have some small parts that I need to make and it called for CNC. I was at Michaels guarding the wife's purse in the shopping cart while she picks through the grinding bore of smelling every candle in the store and the phone rings. They are working on a Friday and are you home, yes I will in about 30 minutes. I look at the wife and say I'm leaving, do you want to come with me or take Uber. Uber got me home in 25 minutes. I now have a new toy. More on this later. Have a bathroom to finish.
20200330_153310.jpg

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Moving right along. Got the big doors insulated and flashed. The bathroom door is framed up. Should be ready for paint tomorrow if all goes right.
Bathroom 2_LI.jpg

Taboma

Reaction score
How things change. In post #54 and #55 I had no plans to get a CNC Mil but, I have some small parts that I need to make and it called for CNC. I was at Michaels guarding the wife's purse in the shopping cart while she picks through the grinding bore of smelling every candle in the store and the phone rings. They are working on a Friday and are you home, yes I will in about 30 minutes. I look at the wife and say I'm leaving, do you want to come with me or take Uber. Uber got me home in 25 minutes. I now have a new toy. More on this later. Have a bathroom to finish. View attachment 946598

Is this wall with the diagonal cable, a hidden passage swinging door ? I've just never seen that before on anything other than a gate.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Is this wall with the diagonal cable, a hidden passage swinging door ? I've just never seen that before on anything other than a gate.
It is a two piece swinging wall. There is no roll up garage door on the shop. I wanted the insulation value. The two doors interlock as they close and have double 1/2 "P" seals all the way around. Makes them air tight. I need to finish the locking mechanism for the two doors. The bathroom is done.

Door Seal.jpg
20201208_085327.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
It is a two piece swinging wall. There is no roll up garage door on the shop. I wanted the insulation value. The two doors interlock as they close and have double 1/2 "P" seals all the way around. Makes them air tight. I need to finish the locking mechanism for the two doors. The bathroom is done.

View attachment 950000 View attachment 949998

can you explain that door seal better with more pics?

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
can you explain that door seal better with more pics?
I'll do that for you next time I can get it open. I have patio bricks blocking it on the outside right now. I think the wife had them unloaded there on purpose so I would have to lay them down before I could move anymore equipment into the shop.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Any pictures of the rest of the shop? This crane set up thing you mentioned? Very interesting.
I'll do a shop picture tour when I get it all done. The crane itself will be the last thing to go up. We are headed back to DC as soon as we get through Christmas and finish a few projects around the house. Will be summer before I can get back to it.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Do to peer pressure, I stopped by Bed Bath and Beyond and picked up a TP/ magazine holder. View attachment 950508
0BB01B55-0243-4418-AFCE-69ED8CD69282.png

With reading material like that, I’m surprised there isn’t a bag of leaves nearby 🤣

Awesome. We have a holder very similar to that in our master bathroom. Someone else (to remain unnamed cough, cough wife) kept pulling the roll off, so I welded a stainless fender washer on the end and took off that problem. Just a tidbit if that problem arises 😉

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
View attachment 950524
With reading material like that, I’m surprised there isn’t a bag of leaves nearby 🤣

Awesome. We have a holder very similar to that in our master bathroom. Someone else (to remain unnamed cough, cough wife) kept pulling the roll off, so I welded a stainless fender washer on the end and took off that problem. Just a tidbit if that problem arises 😉
LOL. I was told that is my shop TP allotment for the rest of the year. I'm going to weld on mine too. It's going to be a sleeve and a paddle lock. Bring your own or step out back in the woods. Feel free to read the magazines.

RaceTec

Reaction score
Looking forward to the shop tour! You are one of those guys that I would pay to hang out with and just learn from!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Looking forward to the shop tour! You are one of those guys that I would pay to hang out with and just learn from!

truth.. but I’ve met him so he can pay me to hang out, I’ll do the learning

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
The air lines in the shop are all soldered 3/4 copper. With temps that go from 32* to 120*, this building is going to grow and shrink to the max. I put expansion joints in all the air lines. Everything is graded so there will be no standing water.
Air lines.jpg

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
The air lines in the shop are all soldered 3/4 copper. With temps that go from 32* to 120*, this building is going to grow and shrink to the max. I put expansion joints in all the air lines. Everything is graded so there will be no standing water. View attachment 952603
You realize that pic is going to be a plumbers meme by the end of today, right?

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
The shop is closed. All the equipment has been sold. All that is left is the 4 walls and the shitter. We sold the house in Oregon, the house in Arizona and the condo in Virginia. All we have left fits in a small storage unit. Going to travel for awhile and see where life takes us this time.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
The shop is closed. All the equipment has been sold. All that is left is the 4 walls and the shitter. We sold the house in Oregon, the house in Arizona and the condo in Virginia. All we have left fits in a small storage unit. Going to travel for awhile and see where life takes us this time.
Keep us posted!

poncho

Reaction score
Didn't you already do that once?...Love me some Virginia, something about that state appeals to me, go down once a year when I can for a boat/people gathering.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Didn't you already do that once?...Love me some Virginia, something about that state appeals to me, go down once a year when I can for a boat/people gathering.
5 years ago we sold out and bought all new. Seemed like good timing to sell again with prices at an all time high. Triple investment in Or and Az. The condo was an LLC turn around that didnt do much and I won't see it anyways. It's fun not being tied down.

poncho

Reaction score
5 years ago we sold out and bought all new. Seemed like good timing to sell again with prices at an all time high. Triple investment in Or and Az. The condo was an LLC turn around that didnt do much and I won't see it anyways. It's fun not being tied down.
I get it, those feelings are starting to stir in me some, Wife has been dealing with some physical issues and seems to be on the mend so I have one eye looking yonder. Enjoy the ride and keep us posted.

buck35

Reaction score
Keep us up to date sir, really miss you're posts!
Travel safe and enjoy.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Wow.. well I hope you have fun on your adventures! I was looking forward to seeing what you were going to make in the shop this time around.