WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The Shop Is Open

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
The wife was working on the books today for the LLC. I was fussing around in the kitchen and I hear this loving voice say "honey, what are you doing"? I'm reorganizing the frig was my reply. After a long pause and as I move the pickles to the door so I don't have to dig for them, I hear, "for the love of God, is that the best thing you can do with your time"? Without even a thought of what to say I answered, I want to build a shop so I can play in it. I don't give a shit what you do, just stop clanging bottles in the frig is what I heard. Now I don't know about you but, that sounds like a green light to build a new shop and buy all new equipment to go in it. Let the fun begin.:D

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
525BB54B-4586-407A-B4E1-40B795428287.jpeg
7463988C-FFB8-4E51-AE6A-D8F7524F3CEA.jpeg
The wife was working on the books today for the LLC. I was fussing around in the kitchen and I hear this loving voice say "honey, what are you doing"? I'm reorganizing the frig was my reply. After a long pause and as I move the pickles to the door so I don't have to dig for them, I hear, "for the love of God, is that the best thing you can do with your time"? Without even a thought of what to say I answered, I want to build a shop so I can play in it. I don't give a shit what you do, just stop clanging bottles in the frig is what I heard. Now I don't know about you but, that sounds like a green light to build a new shop and buy all new equipment to go in it. Let the fun begin.:D
Make sure you do some build threads about your machining again. That was some great stuff. Just finished unloading these to my garage today!!! Excited!!!

Joker

Reaction score
Whatever happened to your PourMark business?

racetrash

Reaction score
Congrats!! Just closed my shop 2 months ago, wiring off road cars/trucks. After 35 plus years, plus 30 years with ATT, time to enjoy our building of our Parker Palace and slow down a bit. Gonna take me a year to clean out my shop out here in the hi desert. You will be busy as you want, people like us are getting scarce. Pete

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Congrats!! Just closed my shop 2 months ago, wiring off road cars/trucks. After 35 plus years, plus 30 years with ATT, time to enjoy our building of our Parker Palace and slow down a bit. Gonna take me a year to clean out my shop out here in the hi desert. You will be busy as you want, people like us are getting scarce. Pete
How cool is that. You'll find it's hard at first to work on a project without a deadline.

Joker

Reaction score
It had a marketing problem as in, I wasn't going to do it. It sat and then closed.

sorry to hear that. I remember seeing your product in airports back in the day. Good to see you posting again

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Looking forward to the build. I was gonna start a callout thread on you the other day demanding a project. This should do just fine :D

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Finish the turbo outboard :D
The turbo outboard is gone along with the Sidewinder boat. Being two stroke I was going to restrict the exhaust in portion to the boost. I had it all worked out and the exhaust valve made. Not sure it would of worked but, you never know until you try and you always learn something.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Have it all stacked out 24x30 will fit just fine between the back fence and septic tank. Small shop, small mess. Worked on a site plan and some elevations today. The wants are going to be an overhead crane, AC, Frig keg, surround sound, 10ft ceiling and a head.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Plans are in for review. Had to go back and get stamps on the truss details. Should have a permit next month. Will go ahead and dig the footings at the end of this month. Going to pour an eight inch stab with 18x24 footings.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Did you get rid of all your old stuff? I kinda thought you mothballed everything while you were on your world travels.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Did you get rid of all your old stuff? I kinda thought you mothballed everything while you were on your world travels.
I sold all my equipment and kept my tooling. Going to fly up to Oregon this weekend for lunch with Mom and see what is in storage. I think I have a welder and a drill press up there. Going to buy a new lathe and mill.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
We are close to having a building permit, just need one more signature. Going to break ground Monday. Mono pour with 8" slab. Parts are being cut out for the overhead crane so we can build it in. Going to power the travel on this one. Wife set down the law thou, one foot on the ground at all times. No ladders for me.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
What type of crane are you going to do? I've been kicking around the idea of a gantry style, but don't know yet. Would like something that can help me unload heavy stuff from trucks, pull engines from boats and bodies off of old cars. Looking for ideas:)
We are close to having a building permit, just need one more signature. Going to break ground Monday. Mono pour with 8" slab. Parts are being cut out for the overhead crane so we can build it in. Going to power the travel on this one. Wife set down the law thou, one foot on the ground at all times. No ladders for me.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
What type of crane are you going to do? I've been kicking around the idea of a gantry style, but don't know yet. Would like something that can help me unload heavy stuff from trucks, pull engines from boats and bodies off of old cars. Looking for ideas:)
Doing 2x6 studs on 16" centers. Going to bolt a bracket onto each stud then drop in a 3" channel with a 1" angle welded into it for the side rails. I'll take pictures as I go. Should lift 2000lb on a 10" cross member. I had an XYZ crane in my last shop and won't live without one.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Is the lumber on site yet?!
Yep, lumber and sheet goods showed up today along with the doors and windows. Heat pump and trusses will be here next week. The parts are cut for the crane track. I didn't have them burn the holes for the bolts because I, like every man, want a tight fit. I'll take them to a friends shop and drill the holes myself. You'll see later how the crane track brackets will bolt to the studs.

Lumber_LI.jpg

Last edited:

nrbr

Reaction score
Yep, lumber and sheet goods showed up today along with the doors and windows. Heat pump and trusses will be here next week. The parts are cut for the crane track. I didn't have them burn the holes for the bolts because I, like every man, want a tight fit. I'll take them to a friends shop and drill the holes myself. You'll see later how the crane track brackets will bolt to the studs.

View attachment 816312
Not messing around with this!

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Crane brackets. They bolt to the studs and stick out through the sheet rock. The 3" channel sits in the bracket and there will be a piece of 1" angle welded in the bottom of the channel. The channel will be free floating in the brackets for expansion.

crane bracket.jpg

crane bracket2.jpg

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Drilled the holes in the brackets to .490 using an offset ground drill bit and trimmed the plasma cut square.

bracket trim.jpg

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
The footings with that little bit of rebar make me jealous. We are 1/2" bar at 18" OC here for a garage slab. 4" of sand underneath. No wonder everything is less expensive outside of CA!!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The footings with that little bit of rebar make me jealous. We are 1/2" bar at 18" OC here for a garage slab. 4" of sand underneath. No wonder everything is less expensive outside of CA!!
Not everything...for my sidewall height (17ft) I have 24x48" deep footers, 1/2" on 18" centers...6" compacted AB for a 6" slab.
Yavapai County engineers bent me over...but the slab should last a while:)

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Makes you wonder. Could of done 12"x 12" footings if I wanted.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Things went from good to bad today. Met with friends for shrimp taco's and brews around lunch time. My heat pump split system came in and we ran down and got it. That's a good thing. Got home and Mrs. Go-Fly was gone. I thought the best place to store these boxes would be in the front bedroom instead of sitting outside until Christmas. I found out that is a bad thing. It's now sitting outside, covered in plastic with the crane parts and I made myself soup for dinner tonight.:(

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Things went from good to bad today. Met with friends for shrimp taco's and brews around lunch time. My heat pump split system came in and we ran down and got it. That's a good thing. Got home and Mrs. Go-Fly was gone. I thought the best place to store these boxes would be in the front bedroom instead of sitting outside until Christmas. I found out that is a bad thing. It's now sitting outside, covered in plastic with the crane parts and I made myself soup for dinner tonight.:(

Welcome to my world. Sorry!!!!

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Done for the holidays. They are doing a great job. 12, high bay LED lights that are dimmable and you can change the light spectrum. The crane brackets are next to go up, finish the wiring, bathroom, sheetrock and install the heatpump. 2 weeks.:D

sheetrock 2.jpg

nrbr

Reaction score
Done for the holidays. They are doing a great job. 12, high bay LED lights that are dimmable and you can change the light spectrum. The crane brackets are next to go up, finish the wiring, bathroom, sheetrock and install the heatpump. 2 weeks.:D

View attachment 827079
Are those studs 12" o.c ?

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Are those studs 12" o.c ?
They are 16 oc. Could of gone out to 24" if I wanted to. I wanted the crane brackets to be 16 oc. May start on those today while no one is around.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Crane brackets bolted to the studs with 1/2 bolts and 2x2 square washers on the back side. Used a laser level to get the two sides square and parallel to each other. There will be six brackets holding the direct load at any time and then tapper off each direction as the 3" channel starts to flex.

Bracket 2.jpg
Bracket.jpg

braindead

Reaction score
Throw away heat pump outside unit. Have to get the sheet rock done before I hang the inside unit. View attachment 827543

Clean install!

We just installed a couple of those units last week but didn't get any wall flanges for the freon lines, what did you use to finish it off on the outside?