WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The Things You Learn

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Came back to Oregon to move my Mother into a new place we built for her. In her old house there was a sitting room off the kitchen. Us kids were trying to remember how old the wingback chairs were that we all sat in for the last 30 years. Dad would sit in there and read the paper in the mornings along with a cup of coffee. Any time I would stop by for a visit, I'd go through the back kitchen door and have coffee or drinks in the sitting room. All of us kids did. Thirty years? Went to move the chairs and we all said "WTF". They were recliners. We all looked at my mother........ that would of been important information to share some 30 years ago. She gave us that dead stare that only a mother can do and said, "Maybe I didn't want you to stay that long". Mothers have a way to end conversations with very simple statements. Next time I go to visit, I'm kicking my feet up. She now has full time care around her 24/7 but, still has her own private place. Staff can come and go without disturb her. I feel better knowing she is well looked after while we are out of town.

20170709_153644.jpg
20170709_153655.jpg

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
So, your mother did not want you to visit?

Im confused a bit about that part of the story.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
Your mom is not like my mom, my mom doesn't have an ounce of " I'm done talking" in her body. When she calls we talk for 10 minutes then I set the phone down for another 30, then pick it up the end to conversation.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
He posted pictures accompanied with an explanation completely avoiding vagueness. I know it's new territory for you...try to keep up.

You're confused....noted.

To each their own, sir.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I got the story and the humor behind it. (Honestly didn't think there was any room for misinterpretation there)

It's weird what people can take away from a simple post. I was reading it and thought to myself how the older generations were taught and had much better posture than my generation.. the idea that go fly never leaned back in the chair was something I was pondering. My generation plops there asses in chairs and instantly leans back. I remember my dad telling me about getting whacked with a spoon if his back touched the back rest of the chair at dinner, or if his elbows touched the table etc.. lol.

milkmoney

Reaction score
I completely got the post also. Have always liked a good wing back chair.
Guess I am ol school , I sat down at the dinner table one night after being outside doing chores and left my hat on and the next thing I know something skimmed my nose and my hat was on the floor.
I looked down at my hat, my mother says don't u dare pick that up. Last time my hat was on at dinner table
[emoji202]

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score

She wanted him to visit, just not stay that long. :D

Speaking of old furniture, I have my grandmother's LayZBoy recliner that is about as old as I am, still works though it looks a but ratty. We were all encouraged to put our feet up and stay as.long as we liked. :D

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Pretty cool story Go-Fly. Your mom has a quick witted sense of humor that apparently some don't get. I hope to be able to provide for my mom as well as you have when her time comes.
My parents used to own a furniture upholstery shop when I was a kid, and those chairs are a testament to the quality of furniture that used to be produced in the US.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. You have to know my mothers dry sense of humor. My mother raised four Alfa Males in one household that competed for everything. When my brothers and I get together now, we have a great time. We joke, laugh and make fun of each others mistakes. My mother takes no part in that ribbing and when we try to make fun of her, she will shut us down in a heart beat. A very loving family we are and our doors are always open to each other. My father is no longer with us to ask but, I don't think he knew they were recliners either. Yes we were making fun of our mother for not telling us they were recliners in that 30 year span and she was not going to have any of it. Someday I'll ask way she never made mention of it. For now I'll just sit in them for a visit and a cup of coffee. Thanks for your question Brian, I can see were it it could be confusing.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. You have to know my mothers dry sense of humor. My mother raised four Alfa Males in one household that competed for everything. When my brothers and I get together now, we have a great time. We joke, laugh and make fun of each others mistakes. My mother takes no part in that ribbing and when we try to make fun of her, she will shut us down in a heart beat. A very loving family we are and our doors are always open to each other. My father is no longer with us to ask but, I don't think he knew they were recliners either. Yes we were making fun of our mother for not telling us they were recliners in that 30 year span and she was not going to have any of it. Someday I'll ask way she never made mention of it. For now I'll just sit in them for a visit and a cup of coffee. Thanks for your question Brian, I can see were it it could be confusing.

Yes sir.

Just struck me as odd, and since you didn't mention it was humor, the "tone" kinda read, at least to me, that she was serious. I thought it could be taken the other way too, and yea, kinda made me sad a bit.

I dig her sense of humor, I am the same. :)

Brian

j21black

Reaction score
Or maybe that was her way of firing back after being placed in a home...

:D:D:D

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Go-Fly

Where are you in Oregon? We are full timers also. Currently at Lake Siskiyou. Heading to Eugene Oregon on Sunday.

Here is our set up.

IMG_0928.jpg

RaceTec

Reaction score
Great Story and cool chair, again something to be said for quality....

I need a notification when certain members like Go-Fly and TPC have new posts...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Great Story and cool chair, again something to be said for quality....

I need a notification when certain members like Go-Fly and TPC have new posts...

Actually I think here is a way you can do that?