WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The toy buying frenzy has me wondering

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
How many people got screwed? People are buying stuff so fast that there isn't/wasn't time for a shop inspection and or got so desperate in the search and just pulled the trigger. When we were moho shopping people were advertising absolute clapped out, rotted out shit boxes for absurd $$$ and I had a fair share (almost all) getting pissed I took 30 minutes to look shit over. I got the "look if you don't want it I have 14 other people on their way right now" speech several times. I probably looked at 30 random landfill ready RV's/trailer's that said sold an hour later. My boat sold sight unseen in under an hour full asking price and the guy had no clue what he was actually buying. Luckily he was pleasantly surprised. I guess a fool and their $$$ are soon departed and there are thousands and thousands of people that are probably pretty pissed.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Same. When I sold the Stingeay earlier this month, it was absolutely 100% down to every stupid little light bulb. I listed it 4th of July weekend d and it was sold by the following friday at $5k above blue book. And I kept the 30ft trailer.

I've also seen a lot of shitboxes role through the shop this year that have been recently purchased for way too much money. That Doral with the forklift/sterndrive tug of war from yesterday included.

aj923

Reaction score
I have missed out on a couple deals because I wanted to have them looked at by my mechanic. They call me back and say someone just purchased for full asking.

satellitemike

Reaction score
Give it 6 months to a year and you will most likely be able to buy the same stuff for 50 to 75 cents on the dollar!
People are in a buying frenzy right now and when they realize the toys they have bought is not for them or can't afford to maintain and or store they will be selling or losing them back to the banks.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
That said, there are still deals out there. The RV Blue bought looked like he got a reasonable deal on. My RV, I came out reasonable.

I do agree that people are getting all kinds of stupid right now....

gqchris

Reaction score
I agree. I have seen some people buying MULTIPLE boats, like WTF? Sight unseen. But those same people I don't think give a shit if the boat/rv dies next month as its not their hard earned money on the line. A lot of people are "Closet PPP" right now and wont admit.

Is it the "sky is falling" panic making people jump into the toys game right now? I have no clue. But something is making people make some really poor choices.

riverroyal

Reaction score
The amount of brand new wake boats at powell this week is staggering.
Not cheap ones. All in the 125k and up range.
The lake is huge, not if your a new wake maker. They appear to like showing off their new dock crushers

outboard_256

Reaction score
I think it will continue as long as the virus is out and about. Once life gets back to normal then people will start spending money in other places and things will equal out. Now the question is when? Doesn't feel like its getting better at the moment.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I agree. I have seen some people buying MULTIPLE boats, like WTF? Sight unseen. But those same people I don't think give a shit if the boat/rv dies next month as its not their hard earned money on the line. A lot of people are "Closet PPP" right now and wont admit.

Is it the "sky is falling" panic making people jump into the toys game right now? I have no clue. But something is making people make some really poor choices.

My guess is most of these people buying toys with there PPP Loans have come to the conclusion that there business is never coming back again and will file bankruptcy after the PPP Money has dried up? Just my theory.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

Probably some at least.
There is a section of people that honestly believe the Nation (as we know it) is about to change dramatically, and aren’t sure what it’ll look like when and if we come out the other end. They got a bale of money and are throwing Hail Marys in a sense?

Im not quite sold on all of that, but I can see it as a possibility.

rebelmark75

Reaction score
I sold my boat before we relocated to PHX and with the CV Panic and everything closed, I can see why everyone wants a boat! I want a boat NOW...however, the common sense wookie bear on my right shoulder says, relax, Rebelmark....in November/December, these boats will be $10k cheaper, your money will go further, and because you were smart enough to move to PHX, your boat season will still be there. So I am waiting patiently. I know exactly what I want, I will have a mechanic go over it before I buy, and I will be a happy mf'er!!

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I think it will continue as long as the virus is out and about. Once life gets back to normal then people will start spending money in other places and things will equal out. Now the question is when? Doesn't feel like its getting better at the moment.

I think waiting for things “to get back to normal” is going to be a long disappointment.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
My reputation is worth more to me than anything I’d ever sell. Anything I got for sale come down look taste smell touch test drive inspect whatever you want.

I would have no problems taking someone out for the whole day in my boas etc.. it isn’t worth selling someone something they could potentially be unhappy with

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
My reputation is worth more to me than anything I’d ever sell. Anything I got for sale come down look taste smell touch test drive inspect whatever you want.

I would have no problems taking someone out for the whole day in my boas etc.. it isn’t worth selling someone something they could potentially be unhappy with

Gotta agree with you on this one RD. Nothing more satisfying representing something with 100% accuracy and full transparency only to see it drive by many months or years later and the buyer willing to share how well it has performed or held up. Karma is a good thing and I sleep well at night. Good Luck with your sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NicPaus

Reaction score
How can there not be a major recession / depression after all that has transpired ?
From what i have seen first hand. The unemployed are making more now than working. The big spenders that are splurging got small business loans at 30 years and are using all there old working capital as the small business loan is now there new business capital. Others are refinancing and getting below 3% and there mortgage payments are $200 more than before but they are getting 100k + out to use.

Majority of my work is houses we are getting ready to sell for top dollar as its a great time to get out of rental market. Rest of my customers are not affected by any of this. Work is crazy. I am just saving up as much as possible and trying to buy a house for my main guy to move into. Paying off everything but mortgage as under 3% is dsmn near free money. Still have cash on hand for a Polaris Ranger Crew but impossible to find 1 unless priced more than new.

wzuber

Reaction score
How many people got screwed? People are buying stuff so fast that there isn't/wasn't time for a shop inspection and or got so desperate in the search and just pulled the trigger. When we were moho shopping people were advertising absolute clapped out, rotted out shit boxes for absurd $$$ and I had a fair share (almost all) getting pissed I took 30 minutes to look shit over. I got the "look if you don't want it I have 14 other people on their way right now" speech several times. I probably looked at 30 random landfill ready RV's/trailer's that said sold an hour later. My boat sold sight unseen in under an hour full asking price and the guy had no clue what he was actually buying. Luckily he was pleasantly surprised. I guess a fool and their $$$ are soon departed and there are thousands and thousands of people that are probably pretty pissed.
Good to know about the r.v prices, I will be putting my dads 34' 97 Aerbus up soon and it's super clean and lo-miles (59k).

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score

I know of a couple guys who either Inherited Family Businesses and Or Made a partner in them and Spend $'s like no tomorrow. One of them flat ran the business into the ground and is Broke.

Some stay humble others are LAM Arrogant Fuck Heads and want to be a part of the crowd that No one wants anything to do with them.

Last edited:

wzuber

Reaction score

you mean disappointed, pissed off customers, friends peeps in general isn't a path to success? who knew? lol

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
When I bought my wifes range rover at the start of the pandemic we originally went to look at a white HST fully loaded model... we went back the next day. gone. We inquired about a black one on the phone... while driving over there. sold. We're looking at a camper trailer... no one has inventory right now and I'm basically looking at having to order one from factory, full purchase for a late august, likely early sept build with a late oct/nov delivery date. Vehicle stuff is crazy right now...

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I think people forget that there are a lot of people who make big money and are not affected by whats going on. Yes, if you own a food dine establishment, or a gathering place then you are hurting more than others. Then there are the lower wage workers who worked for min wage that are spending little more cause they can as they are making more than before. Once that is done, they go back to those lower wage jobs and work, then spend little less.

All vacations stopped for everyone so they are either spending money for pools, trailer, boats. Some of these people drop 10-30k + on vacations per year (crazy i think) but are looking at it for the next couple of years they are not flying anywhere and staying local for vacations and use there new found hobby.

gqchris

Reaction score
I think people forget that there are a lot of people who make big money and are not affected by whats going on. Yes, if you own a food dine establishment, or a gathering place then you are hurting more than others. Then there are the lower wage workers who worked for min wage that are spending little more cause they can as they are making more than before. Once that is done, they go back to those lower wage jobs and work, then spend little less.

All vacations stopped for everyone so they are either spending money for pools, trailer, boats. Some of these people drop 10-30k + on vacations per year (crazy i think) but are looking at it for the next couple of years they are not flying anywhere and staying local for vacations and use there new found hobby.

I agree but I am seeing people step up from 20k starter boats into 150k twin motor Cats. Granted, I don't know them personally and am strictly judging by what they show on Social Media(which most of the people show ALOT!), but its not adding up. I dont think it is REAL MONEY FOLKS causing the frenzy. Its the same weekend warriors and RiverWhippers blowing monopoly money.

707dog

Reaction score
That said, there are still deals out there. The RV Blue bought looked like he got a reasonable deal on. My RV, I came out reasonable.

I do agree that people are getting all kinds of stupid right now....
did good on my deal for the trailer i got also , i had a deposit on a 2021 bullet and pulled out just bought one a couple years old used 4 times and saved around 12k when said and done plus would of had to wait on delivery while they spitballed one together for me. hell i could throw mine up for sale and probably make a few grand off it with how silly things are

Last edited:

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
I'm watching the same thing, and at a total loss to understand any of it. Been in commission sales for 42 years, so kinda like running a business. I'm thinking logically the exact opposite of what IS happening is what should be happening. Don't understand at all - i must ask myself 10 times a day - what am i doing wrong?????????????

wallnutz

Reaction score
I am taking advantage on buying an RV right now. It’s a used 2020 the people used twice and decided it is to much for what they want to do. It’s got a total of 3200 miles on it. 1200 were delivery miles from the factory. Ironically we were looking at the same model with a couple different options. After pricing that one new and almost pulling the trigger, my wife found the used one in Iowa. Figure saving close to $50,000 in depreciation since it’s used. I fly out tomorrow to pick it up.

There are deals out there now if you are patient. I know of someone else buying a 5 wheel that was used one time.

707dog

Reaction score
I'm watching the same thing, and at a total loss to understand any of it. Been in commission sales for 42 years, so kinda like running a business. I'm thinking logically the exact opposite of what IS happening is what should be happening. Don't understand at all - i must ask myself 10 times a day - what am i doing wrong?????????????
i was betting at the beginning of all this crap there was going to be a flood of toys and gear hitting the market for sale i was looking to cash in on a few items but it is the total complete opposite.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I am taking advantage on buying an RV right now. It’s a used 2020 the people used twice and decided it is to much for what they want to do. It’s got a total of 3200 miles on it. 1200 were delivery miles from the factory. Ironically we were looking at the same model with a couple different options. After pricing that one new and almost pulling the trigger, my wife found the used one in Iowa. Figure saving close to $50,000 in depreciation since it’s used. I fly out tomorrow to pick it up.

There are deals out there now if you are patient. I know of someone else buying a 5 wheel that was used one time.

Definitely agree that it seems like deals are able to be had if you are willing to travel. I just bought an RV for $10k under book, just had to fly to Durango to get it. By contrast, I just sold my toy hauler for about 2x book value and had a line of people out the door to look at it.

Reactions: DWC

Hdgasser

Reaction score
Buddy at work rode his first Harley 2 Saturday’s ago. Monday morning showed up saying “I want a Harley” Thursday he went and purchased a used street glide, rode it a couple days had it serviced and the mechanic called him Tuesday saying “hey man your bikes making metal”

compulsive buying is at an all time high.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
I agree but I am seeing people step up from 20k starter boats into 150k twin motor Cats. Granted, I don't know them personally and am strictly judging by what they show on Social Media(which most of the people show ALOT!), but its not adding up. I dont think it is REAL MONEY FOLKS causing the frenzy. Its the same weekend warriors and RiverWhippers blowing monopoly money.

Check out my social media. I have two new Costco paddle boards that are so flexin. Well one is, the other has a hole in it somewhere. I am straight up baller.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I dont think this can all be blamed on PPP. One of the things to remember is that the dow was at damn near 30k and a ton of people pulled money out of the market when the slide started. These are people who put money in when the dow was at 12k or lower. A ton of money has been made the last 10 years...

That and no one is traveling or going out to eat going to bars etc.... I know my savings has gottten a nice little bump due to covid

2Driver

Reaction score
The economy is propped up and what’s worse we are driving gargantuan crushing debt. Foreclosures and business downturn hasn’t even started, let alone the down slide of consumer spending. Biden gets in and drives taxes and a bad business environment and it will be a fuckIng disaster that will make today look like the good ole days.

Trust me don’t use the term “shit storm” right now, you are going to need the before long.

DLC

Reaction score
I would say about 75-85 % of the population are really stupid with money and live Well above their means. Money lending loans / borrowing is also really cheap right now.
with that being said stay focused on what is important To you and your family. Shiny items are just a distraction

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I dont think this can all be blamed on PPP. One of the things to remember is that the dow was at damn near 30k and a ton of people pulled money out of the market when the slide started. These are people who put money in when the dow was at 12k or lower. A ton of money has been made the last 10 years...

That and no one is traveling or going out to eat going to bars etc.... I know my savings has gottten a nice little bump due to covid
Agree.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

People always made really poor choices. :) They just can’t go on their normal $20k vacations right now and are not spending tens of thousands of their children’s sports. Some is PPP sure.

If your kids sports cost $1k a month, and you can’t go anywhere or do much of anything... you can pretty much finance any boat or RV and it will feel like nothing.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

This. I could easily make the payment on a new boat or RV just in the monthly expense reductions since COVID started.

Duramax

Reaction score
It took me months to close this deal on my Eliminator, as I started well before this bullshit. I have been off the water for almost 12 years, and looked for that right boat for over 1.5yrs. When I found it, instead of going back and forth, I got it. Thats about the only Covid did for me. I did TONS of research and I am a happy guy, and I hope I continue to be a happy guy!
I do have a friend who had his mother in law co-sign on a 150k surf boat. INSANE!!!

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score

What source are you using to find RV’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
The only thing that makes sense, is no one cares if they default - u want it, mr banker, come get it - im upside down by 20% - its yours, ill go get another one as soon as you get this one out of my way