WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The World's First All Electric Super Truck GMC Hummer EV

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
The press maretrials and website are claiming 300 kw [emoji50]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting - they've changed this a couple of times now.

The electrify america chargers are supposed to be able to pump that out and that taycan was supposed to take that but can only absorb 270 for a few minutes last I saw.

It will be interesting to see when (what soc) the unit will take that rate and for how long before it tapers off.

The devil is in these details.

I for one hope they nail it and give tesla some competition.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Interesting - they've changed this a couple of times now.

The electrify america chargers are supposed to be able to pump that out and that taycan was supposed to take that but can only absorb 270 for a few minutes last I saw.

It will be interesting to see when (what soc) the unit will take that rate and for how long before it tapers off.

The devil is in these details.

I for one hope they nail it and give tesla some competition.

That’s where my concerns lie with EV’s.

There’s no way you can super-fast charge at home, 200amp service can only do so much, especially considering not all of it can be allocated to the car.

The best most folks can do is Level 2, and that’s not going to charge a depleted 200+ mile battery overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

There’s no way you can super-fast charge at home, 200amp service can only do so much, especially considering not all of it can be allocated to the car.

The best most folks can do is Level 2, and that’s not going to charge a depleted 200+ mile battery overnight.

For sure - if you are looking for 200 miles a night you may want to upgrade your panel.
Most guys have nowhere near a 200 mile commute and 1-12 horus on a level 2 keeps them ahead of the game.

johnnyC

Reaction score
Apparently you haven't seen Calif Gov Newsom say that CA will not allow new oil fueled vehicle sales after 2035. https://www.nbcnews.com/science/env...ning-sale-gasoline-powered-cars-2035-n1240878

Anyone think we'll suddenly have as many EV charging stations as gas stations in 15 years? I sure don't. Also, his logic for doing this really has nothing to do with the issue he stated it was supposed to solve. It's like saying requiring everyone to run around naked will solve global warming.
with a little luck newsome will get hit by an electric car

rrrr

Reaction score
I think its cool. Just wait for wireless charging for the cars. That's when Electric is going to go mainstream. Your car charges while your shopping, waiting at a stop light etc.

You're dreaming if you think inductive charging will ever be used in this lifetime to transfer 100-200 kW in a few hours. It isn't anything like charging a 3600 mAh cell phone battery.

The secondary magnetic inductors in the vehicle would have to weigh hundreds of pounds, and the primary inductors would have to be cast into your garage floor and fed with 480 V three phase power at a minimum. It sure as hell isn't going to happen at the mall or a stoplight.

Last edited:

hallett21

Reaction score

What? You see a problem with a neighborhood of 1,500 sq ft houses running 400 amp services lol?

I hope people keep buying these because it just causes the tech to keep improving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taboma

Reaction score
What? You see a problem with a neighborhood of 1,500 sq ft houses running 400 amp services lol?

I hope people keep buying these because it just causes the tech to keep improving.

You new here ? If you don't have a 400 A service on your tract home, with natural gas appliances, back of the bus you go mister. 😁
Your buddy might be braggin he's got a blown BBC in his vintage Chevelle, but will bend a knee when you counter by announcing you've got a 400 Amp service. :oops:

River Runnin

Reaction score
The Electricity it takes to charge the new Tesla's and this new Bummer is the same amount used for powering 3 family of 4 houses (per day) per charge! -- With all that wind, solar, rolling blackouts and soon NO fuel? ............ lmfao 😂

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Not unusual for people to knock on our RV door asking for gas or a tow. I won't be surprised if one of these rigs rolls up asking for a charge.

pronstar

Reaction score
Not unusual for people to knock on our RV door asking for gas or a tow. I won't be surprised if one of these rigs rolls up asking for a charge.

Sorta related...I’ve heard/read people say “I’ll just keep a little 2000 watt generator in the trunk in case of emergency”...not realizing that Level 1 charging might net you 4 miles range per hour of charging LMAO

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Sorta related...I’ve heard/read people say “I’ll just keep a little 2000 watt generator in the trunk in case of emergency”...not realizing that Level 1 charging might net you 4 miles range per hour of charging LMAO

Plus since they are probably playing on the internet in the car while charging it would be net sum 1/3 of that....

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
interestingly the batteies total capacity of 200KWH is equivilant to 5.93 gallons of gasoline.

So if it gets 350 miles using 100% of thjat battery its getting 59E MPG, MPGe as Ive seen it written

Probably the worst efficiency of a battery vehicle to date, but significantly more efficient that running it on gasoline.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
The Electricity it takes to charge the new Tesla's and this new Bummer is the same amount used for powering 3 family of 4 houses (per day) per charge!

This is super interesting re EV’s! Where does this number come from?

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score

Keep in mind that watts is watts. The amount of power doesn't change.

So a comparable gas powered vehicle still uses the same amount of power, it just gets that power from hydrocarbons instead of electrons.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

It can be extrapolated many ways - if a household uses 50 KWH per day, one can say it takes 4 days worth of electricity to fill the car with a 200 KWH battery.

pronstar

Reaction score

So a comparable gas powered vehicle still uses the same amount of power, it just gets that power from hydrocarbons instead of electrons.

But in an ICE only ~25-35% of gasoline energy is propelling the vehicle. The remainder is wasted as heat/exhaust/friction.

So 5-gallon equivalent energy in an EV is more like ~15 gallons of gas in an ICE.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
at a steady 70 MPH a model 3 long range will go about 290 miles on an 80 KWH pack or about 2.37 equivalent gallons of energy - or get the equivalent of 122 MPGe.

hallett21

Reaction score

Any idea on what one Mega Watt cost to produce? Assuming the same method of generation the cost should be relatively the same across the US?

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
Pretty cool IMHO and seems the way of the future

0-60 in 3 seconds, very impressive and will leave some scratching their head wondering what just happened. I would have a hard time keeping up in my tuned 488....

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Just posted 2022 model sold out in 10 minutes!

Sort of....

GM is taking "reservations " They cannot sell direct to end users.

The dealers will offer them to reservation holders (after their friends and family jump the line) when they get them.

It will be interesting to see what "market adjustments" get put on the sticker, and what they will really go for.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Any idea on what one Mega Watt cost to produce? Assuming the same method of generation the cost should be relatively the same across the US?

Between $20 and $50 depending on area of the country and such. Figure mid-$30 as a good average.

That's wholesale price.

Last edited:

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
But in an ICE only ~25-35% of gasoline energy is propelling the vehicle. The remainder is wasted as heat/exhaust/friction.

So 5-gallon equivalent energy in an EV is more like ~15 gallons of gas in an ICE.

Agreed and that makes the ICE look even worse.

The statment that an electric vehicle uses the same amount of electricity as a house is a bit of a red herring. A conventional vehicle uses the a similar amount of energy, or more as the case may be, but that is just not how people think about the subject.

pronstar

Reaction score
Between $20 and $50 depending on area of the country and such. Figure mid-$30 as a good average.

That's wholesale price.

Is there a price premium if you get that megawatt super fast, compared to slowly drawing it over say 6 hours?

I seem to recall some saying there would be, but I don’t know for sure...

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Agreed and that makes the ICE look even worse.

The statment that an electric vehicle uses the same amount of electricity as a house is a bit of a red herring. A conventional vehicle uses the a similar amount of energy, or more as the case may be, but that is just not how people think about the subject.

Correct - a single large vehicle can consume as much actual energy as a half a block of houses.

That energy simply come in the form of a liquid that is extracted from the ground, highly refined, then delivered in large containers, to be put into even larger containers, to then be pumped into smaller containers to ultimately be transformed by combustion converting it to forward motion (at a fairly low efficiency rate)

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Is there a price premium if you get that megawatt super fast, compared to slowly drawing it over say 6 hours?

Well, it is complicated, but yes the faster charging rate will cost more but not because of the energy.

What you're asking for is a difference between capacity and energy. It takes a lot more infrastructure (capacity) to supply a large amount of electricity (energy) in a small amount of time than it does to spread it over a longer time period.

For example, you need 100kW to charge a battery, but you want it in one hour. The utility would have to build a 100kW utility system to charge that battery. But if you could charge the battery over 10 hours, the utility would only need to construct a 10kW system.

The utility covers these costs by charging a demand on larger users. The demand charges cover the infrastructure costs in properly designed rates.

Last edited:

pronstar

Reaction score
Correct - a single large vehicle can consume as much actual energy as a half a block of houses.

That energy simply come in the form of a liquid that is extracted from the ground, highly refined, then delivered in large containers, to be put into even larger containers, to then be pumped into smaller containers to ultimately be transformed by combustion converting it to forward motion (at a fairly low efficiency rate)

That’s one reason why EV’s make sense - less conversion. You go straight from solar panel to electricity, for example.

Compared to hydrogen, which starts with water or natural gas (which is already a fuel), add energy, get hydrogen, convert hydrogen into electricity.

Every time there’s a conversion, there’s loss. Can’t get around the laws of thermodynamics.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Well, it is complicated, but yes the faster charging rate will cost more but not because of the energy.

What your asking for is a difference between capacity and energy. It takes a lot more infrastructure (capacity) to supply a large amount of electricity (energy) in a small amount of time than it does to spread it over a longer time period.

For example, you need 100kW to charge a battery, but you want it in one hour. The utility would have to build a 100kW utility system to charge that battery. But if you could charge the battery over 10 hours, the utility would only need to construct a 10kW system.

The utility covers these costs by charging a demand on larger users. The demand charges cover the infrastructure costs in properly designed rates.

This is also correct and one reason why high speed chargers often price by delivery tier as well as KWH.

This is also why use the 3rd party Electrify America network of charger in cali at high speed is often MORE than an equivalent tank of gas.

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
You're dreaming if you think inductive charging will ever be used in this lifetime to transfer 100-200 kW in a few hours. It isn't anything like charging a 3600 mAh cell phone battery.

@rrrr Just a question. How much efficiency loss you think would occur with induction charging if its ever developed for high amperage fast charge applications?

rrrr

Reaction score
@rrrr Just a question. How much efficiency loss you think would occur with induction charging if its ever developed for high amperage fast charge applications?

Wellll...inductive coupling depends on distance between the primary (charger) and secondary (vehicle) devices, and I would suspect with the energy transfer rate we're discussing, the primary and secondary would have to be close, as in elevated off of the surface. Probably no more than 5-8%.

The transfer rate and efficiency can be improved by coupling each inductor with a capacitor bank. By engineering the inductors and capacitors properly, the two will react as a tuned circuit. If it's running at 80-100 Hz, the practical limit, the transfer rate will improve because the frequency is higher than 60 Hz that line voltages operate at.

Last edited:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.....

The electric companies will offer to install a second car charging dedicated service (most already do) where discounts and all are available and will be marketed as you can decided when to charge to avoid peak times. Once many fo them are installed, that branch of the company will be broken off and it will then petition the PUC to not be under their perview as they technically are a commodity at that point, it'll pass because that is true. Then their peak times will be different and rates will be unregulated. Id put that time frame at 10 to 15 years at most.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Not at your house, The meter only measures total KWH - not the rate of delivery but there is premium for it at most 3rd party stations.

Charging off a 30 or 50 amp cpnenctor at home doenst cost any more per KWH than a 15 amp edison socket - the meter just spins faster, but the net consumed is all it reads out.

rrrr

Reaction score
Not at your house, The meter only measures total KWH - not the rate of delivery but there is premium for it at most 3rd party stations.

Charging off a 30 or 50 amp cpnenctor at home doenst cost any more per KWH than a 15 amp edison socket - the meter just spins faster, but the net consumed is all it reads out.

Until the increased kWh usage charging the EV puts the homeowners into the penalty usage category and they have to pay 50¢ per kWh or more. No one mentions that when discussing home charging in California.

Last edited:

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Until the increased kWh usage puts the homeowners into the penalty usage category and they have to pay 50¢/kWh or more.

Sure on a tiered plan if you start pulling into the 3 and 4th tiers your electricity will get expensive.

Someguys are on a time of use plan other guys on a tiered rate.

In a time of use plan you just have the car start when the timing makes it cheap.

pronstar

Reaction score

Is it different for commercial?
Just curious...

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Is it different for commercial?
Just curious...

As far as vehicke charging goes yes.

charging networks are setup to be able to tier the rate based on both KWH and AMps delivered to the charger.

It cost more to install and reliably feed a charger capable of 300 than 200 or 100 KWH hence you pay a premium for the (potential) speed.

The vehicles spend very little time at those rate anyway and usually fall down to the 50-150 range as the batteries fill up.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.....

The electric companies will offer to install a second car charging dedicated service (most already do) where discounts and all are available and will be marketed as you can decided when to charge to avoid peak times. Once many fo them are installed, that branch of the company will be broken off and it will then petition the PUC to not be under their perview as they technically are a commodity at that point, it'll pass because that is true. Then their peak times will be different and rates will be unregulated. Id put that time frame at 10 to 15 years at most.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

None around here offer that.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
None around here offer that.
PG&E does. I'm sure Edison and likely others do as well. I don't have time to go look at the other companies for that

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
Saw these guys cruising through Boulder City today.
01D08455-8A8F-4780-83E3-C752DB10DF98.jpeg

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Another manufacturer, Rivian with all electric truck in Irvine last month.

IMG_4450.jpg

IMG_4451.jpg

When I first saw it in March, I related it to fords version of the ranger. Some body features looked similar to it but obviously not the same truck. Some rumors of this being available in June of 2021 for $75k.

Last edited:

pronstar

Reaction score
The Rivian is pretty nice.

It’s actually close to production…and they showed it years ago.

Takes a crapload of time and money to bring these to market.

Last edited: