WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

They put Godzilla in a crate

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Ford is selling the new 7.3 Godzilla V8 as a crate motor. $8150. Comes with intake, throttle body, manifolds, Pan and induction coils.

430 HP @5500 475 lbft @4000.

Wonder what these things are gonna turn out bored, built and blown?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Seems pretty reasonably priced...

Ehh. A crate LS3 is cheaper and makes more power and torque. Plus it will be 150 lbs lighter.

This is a neat piece, but Ford crate engines are always more expensive.

Plus the harness and engine controller will be another $1500-$2000.

sintax

Reaction score
Ford= Quality.
Chevy= Quantity

giphy.gif

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I'd love to mess with one, but not for 8k. I'll have to wait and see if they get used enough to start getting "recycled". Always liked 460's...fairly cheap cores, handled fairly big shots without lifting heads...good clean redneck fun. Part of me wonders if the tech in the new motor will help the displacement, induction and fueling aside.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I'd love to mess with one, but not for 8k. I'll have to wait and see if they get used enough to start getting "recycled". Always liked 460's...fairly cheap cores, handled fairly big shots without lifting heads...good clean redneck fun. Part of me wonders if the tech in the new motor will help the displacement, induction and fueling aside.

There does not seem to be much magic.. port injection, overhead valves, coil on plug, good heads and a cam phaser.. that is it!

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
I could not bring myself to buy a new truck when I was in the market a couple of years ago. Number 1 reason being we really could not afford it. Followed closely by my kids destroy everything they touch!

I ended up with a 2002 F250 Lariat V-10 longbed 4x4. It had 170,000 miles, but the previous owner took really good care of it. I figured I can put 5 motors and trans in it for the price of a new truck.

This Godzilla would be a great option when the motor finally needs to be replaced. I know the 10 speed trans is really where it’s at though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
People need to remember that its not a race motor. Its a truck motor. Its designed to be put in a 20,000 lb motorhome and flogged for years on end climbing donner summit and random grades in Colorado. Take the LS mentioned above as a "better" motor and do the same, lets see what its life expectancy is. Different critters.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
People need to remember that its not a race motor. Its a truck motor. Its designed to be put in a 20,000 lb motorhome and flogged for years on end climbing donner summit and random grades in Colorado. Take the LS mentioned above as a "better" motor and do the same, lets see what its life expectancy is. Different critters.

But no one is buying this as crate motor for their 20,000# RV.

The LS is a “truck motor” as well. It just has a different cam for that application.

This is marketed as a re power for older cars and trucks.

In CA you can’t even legally swap this into a vehicle that requires smog anyway.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
There does not seem to be much magic.. port injection, overhead valves, coil on plug, good heads and a cam phaser.. that is it!
Not a fan of Ford's with cam phaser's...my wallet is, but I've avoided them for ownership. Still don't understand how other manufacturers have done so well with them. Hire one of their guys and fix whatever the issue is!

4Waters

Reaction score
Not a fan of Ford's with cam phaser's...my wallet is, but I've avoided them for ownership. Still don't understand how other manufacturers have done so well with them. Hire one of their guys and fix whatever the issue is!
We put just short of 200k on my wife's 5.4 Expedition and never had a problem with the phasers or anything really for that matter 1 alt and 1 sparkplug rocket, but I was on top on the maintenance. Same for my dad and stepmoms Marauder and Aviator, both DOHC 4.6 both 200k plus. I think the maintenance was key.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

Well keep in mind, this engine just has 1 :)

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
If that got your attention then this should to. They did it, an still do it without gov. Bail out! [emoji2960]
Another brain buster for you..... Ford took huge loans also. Just timed it well enough that it was before the crash. The banks they borrowed from..... Go funds in the bailout as well. I know, a lot of you Ford die hards tend to repress that memory in favor of the "Governement Motors" attack.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well keep in mind, this engine just has 1 :)
Side note, Falconer up here was doing some dyno tuning with a MoTec controlled V8 BMW last year. 4 phasers, and I believe 110 degree sweeps on each! Holy crap! He said there was lots of time on note paper before even thinking about setting parameters. Kind of made me feel low tech, I was doing my first LS swap 🤫

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Another brain buster for you..... Ford took huge loans also. Just timed it well enough that it was before the crash. The banks they borrowed from..... Go funds in the bailout as well. I know, a lot of you Ford die hards tend to repress that memory in favor of the "Governement Motors" attack.

Exactly. Glad someone said it. They didn’t necessarily time it well, they were just hurting so bad already that they needed loans way earlier than the other two.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
We put just short of 200k on my wife's 5.4 Expedition and never had a problem with the phasers or anything really for that matter 1 alt and 1 sparkplug rocket, but I was on top on the maintenance. Same for my dad and stepmoms Marauder and Aviator, both DOHC 4.6 both 200k plus. I think the maintenance was key.

the key is that it all those listed were 2v's.

bocco

Reaction score
I wonder if this will fit in my 2000 Expedition?

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
What GM needs to do , is bring out the 7.0L and de-tune for HD truck . Also , I’ve seen lots of 2 and 3 valve , single cam and dual cam , phasers and no phasers , last well into 250k territory . But I’ve also seen some completely wear out at 60-70 k

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
What GM needs to do , is bring out the 7.0L and de-tune for HD truck . Also , I’ve seen lots of 2 and 3 valve , single cam and dual cam , phasers and no phasers , last well into 250k territory . But I’ve also seen some completely wear out at 60-70 k

GM just came out with a 570HP LS7 wet sump crate engine a couple weeks ago. I think it is like $12,750.

Obviously not de-tuned for a truck LOL.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
The GM's new 6.6 Gasser isnt too far off the 7.3 Ford. The TFL truck review of both towing actually has both neck and neck numbers wise and the GM slightly ahead in some categories even with only the 6 speed trans behind it. I bet when its changed up to the "Allison" 10 speed it'll bump power numbers as well.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Watcha thinking?
Does anybody know what the exhaust bolt/flange pattern is on this engine? If it's the same as a 460, I know there are adapter plates out there to run standard BBC wet headers

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
The GM's new 6.6 Gasser isnt too far off the 7.3 Ford. The TFL truck review of both towing actually has both neck and neck numbers wise and the GM slightly ahead in some categories even with only the 6 speed trans behind it. I bet when its changed up to the "Allison" 10 speed it'll bump power numbers as well.

It's too bad that you were not part of the Ford design team on this engine. They could have had a really great engine with your vast knowledge. 😁

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
It's too bad that you were not part of the Ford design team on this engine. They could have had a really great engine with your vast knowledge. 😁
Who said anything about design there old man? I was referring to the comparison test TFL did and added my opinion as to what I thought GM might do next with their "big" gasser.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Who said anything about design there old man? I was referring to the comparison test TFL did and added my opinion as to what I thought GM might do next with their "big" gasser.
I'm sorry, I had you confused with LOF. 🤣

Canuck 1

Midget Hater
Reaction score
If they keep working hard they might catch up to the tunnel port of 1964

Blackmagic94

Reaction score

Ford took more money under a bank bailout under tarp 2 then gm and Chrysler took under auto bailouts combined.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Good grief, we’re back to debating auto bailouts again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ford vs. Chevy will it ever end? 🤔

As I recall Ford did not receive TARP funds and is due to pay back their loan in a couple more years.

The money was for Obamas dream of an all electric society on wheels. 😖

AJ Hoffman

Reaction score

Ya ok.... 🙄
With the bail out GM got/has we should ALL own a piece of that place 😂