WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

They're great dogs... until they are not.

DWC

Reaction score
Absolutely brutal.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Sad news.

In 2019, pit bulls accounted for 91% of all reported fatal attacks on other animals, 91% of all fatal attacks on other dogs, 76% of all fatal dog attacks on cats, and 82% of all fatal dog attacks on other pets, poultry, and hoofed species.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I can’t imagine.

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Sad news.

In 2019, pit bulls accounted for 91% of all reported fatal attacks on other animals, 91% of all fatal attacks on other dogs, 76% of all fatal dog attacks on cats, and 82% of all fatal dog attacks on other pets, poultry, and hoofed species.
I personally know of two dogs killed by pitbulls in separate instances. One friend had an English bulldog and a pitbull for years. One day they came home and the bulldog was shredded. They said it looked like horror movie, he must have shook him and covered the walls with blood. The other was a toy dog, that got bit and shaken and died while the owners watched. They had gone to their sisters and turned their back for a minute. The pit bull grabbed the little dog, shook it and killed it. I’m not a pit bull hater, but I want nothing to do with that breed, especially around my 2 year old.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
There was an 80 year old woman mauled to death in San Berdo county recently. (Friday 10/8). The two dogs were Dogo Argentino breed. Lady was apparently out for a walk when she was attacked by the roaming dogs.

Lady had major injuries and died at the scene. Dogs are being held pending investigation.

Sure the breed could be an issue but really the owner needs to do a better job at either control or making sure the dogs don’t get loose.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
My brother had two pitbulls, for many years everything was great....one day he gets a call from his neighbor saying he should get home because his pitbulls were fighting each other and it didnt look good...my brother rushed home from work, which was only like 10 minutes away...came home to a bloody mess in his backyard....blood and skin chunks everywhere...one dog was dead and the other one was just barely alive but died shortly after....never could figure out what made them turn on each other after living together for many years...

dribble

Reaction score
There was an 80 year old woman mauled to death in San Berdo county recently. (Friday 10/8). The two dogs were Dogo Argentino breed. Lady was apparently out for a walk when she was attacked by the roaming dogs.

Lady had major injuries and died at the scene. Dogs are being held pending investigation.

Sure the breed could be an issue but really the owner needs to do a better job at either control or making sure the dogs don’t get loose.
The breed is an issue and they are popular with ghetto people who could give a shit less about controlling them. And yes some of them are kind , great family dogs. The problem is that they are so strong, if they do get aggressive then they can and do kill people. I’ve yet to hear of a Border Collie or Golden Retriever killing someone. My biggest fear when I’m out walking my Maltapoo is a Pit Bull attacking her. It’s ridiculous that I have to be armed when walk her but I always am.

A close friend of mine had a very sweet ten year old pit. She had a one year old child. The dog once got aggressive and bit the child’s father. That day the dog got put down. I compleysupported that decision.

Warlock1

Reaction score
Today's pit bull is a descendant of the original English bull-baiting dog—a dog that was bred to bite and hold bulls, bears and other large animals around the face and head. When baiting large animals was outlawed in the 1800s, people turned instead to fighting their dogs against each other.
We take a dog with these characteristics and expect them to be kind and gentle. For some people I think they get lucky, other people not so much. I mean why take the chance? Sure train them all you want. All it takes is for the Master/Trainer to not be home and the dog goes apeshit and does something like this. I hate the breed personally and will do what I can to keep away from them. We have a lot of friends with them, but I keep my distance.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I'm not a hater on the breed... but I do think they are sketchy. At the end of the day, animals.... are animals, and you never know how they are gonna act / react. The more sketchy and powerful that animal is, the worse the outcome could be (hence this story)

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
The risk is not worth it to me.
I had a few pits when I was younger.
Once I had kids I questioned owning pits.
When I saw my friends dead one year old boy reduced to grease and jerky those questions were answered.

Pit bulls and pit bull mixes account for the overwhelming majority of fatal attacks. Over half of those fatal attacks are on children.

In the decade up to 2021 this law firm has pit bull and pit bull mix caused fatalities at 226 deaths.
The next breed in line is Rotties at 26 deaths.
That’s pretty simple math.
Pit bull defenders will march out every thing from Spot that was on Spanky and the gang to having generations of pit bulls in their families with never an incident.
That’s great, I hope nothing ever happens!
But for me, having seen it first hand, there is no way I’d ever expose kids or friends to those risks or those odds.

Last edited:

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
I'm not a hater on the breed... but I do think they are sketchy. At the end of the day, animals.... are animals, and you never know how they are gonna act / react. The more sketchy and powerful that animal is, the worse the outcome could be (hence this story)
The breed is an issue and they are popular with ghetto people who could give a shit less about controlling them. And yes some of them are kind , great family dogs. The problem is that they are so strong, if they do get aggressive then they can and do kill people. I’ve yet to hear of a Border Collie or Golden Retriever killing someone. My biggest fear when I’m out walking my Maltapoo is a Pit Bull attacking her. It’s ridiculous that I have to be armed when walk her but I always am.

A close friend of mine had a very sweet ten year old pit. She had a one year old child. The dog once got aggressive and bit the child’s father. That day the dog got put down. I compleysupported that decision.

This ^ They're just too damn powerful.

I've come to the conclusion that if my super nice, loving dog of X years goes insane and wants to maul me, I want to be able to win.

I have a 55 pound German Shorthaired Pointer. I think that I'm alright.

I also want a Doberman at some point. But a 75 pound Doberman is starting to get sketchy.

I don't think I'd ever want a dog past about 60-70 pounds.

You can own and love your sweet pitbull. But if my pointer sees red one day and loses it, I'm going to fare a lot better than you with a pitbull that loses its shit.

I don't think aggressive dogs have any place out in public. So if your dog attacks my dog or me, someone is putting that dog down. Animal control, you, or me.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
This ^ They're just too damn powerful.

I've come to the conclusion that if my super nice, loving dog of X years goes insane and wants to maul me, I want to be able to win.

I have a 55 pound German Shorthaired Pointer. I think that I'm alright.

I also want a Doberman at some point. But a 75 pound Doberman is starting to get sketchy.

I don't think I'd ever want a dog past about 60-70 pounds.

You can own and love your sweet pitbull. But if my pointer sees red one day and loses it, I'm going to fare a lot better than you with a pitbull that loses its shit.

I don't think aggressive dogs have any place out in public. So if your dog attacks my dog or me, someone is putting that dog down. Animal control, you, or me.

Insurance companies definitely don’t think dangerous breeds have any place in public or the home.
When that pit goes off and the owner is staring at 6 or 7 figures of liability their homeowners carrier will be non existent, their agent will be a ghost.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Insurance companies definitely don’t think dangerous breeds have any place in public or the home.
When that pit goes off and the owner is staring at 6 or 7 figures of liability their homeowners carrier will be non existent, their agent will be a ghost.
Just the average dog bite claim in CA is 60K

mbrown2

Reaction score
I cannot even imagine losing both of my children in one event, much less in an event such as this. How utterly horrible.
Yeah...I cannot imagine that marriage surviving....if the wife makes it both will need lots of therapy....these sorts of tragedies have a way of tearing the remaining people apart due to guilt...

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
When my daughter was born we had a dog that was part chow
Really liked her but never had warm fuzzy feeling with her around the baby
Acted aggressive one day and found her a new home the next
The dog that is

Only dog I ever got rid of

Nordie

Reaction score
I've never trusted the "breed", I've been around some great pit bulls, but the 2 times I've been bit, well you guessed it, pit bulls.

The numbers simply don't lie about pit bulls. It doesn't seem like an if, but a when.

Reactions: DWC

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
I have had pits in my family before while growing up and they truly are the best dogs. we got one for my dad after a breakup and that thing kept him company and was a loyal friend til my dad died. then we got to enjoy her for her two final years as well.

As a pit lover, this thread even got me looking up statistics to try and refute everyone's fear or hate of this breed. But the data is that 66% of all dog deaths in the US happen by pits. That sucked to read as my experience has been the polar opposite.

Does it come down to the owners that are shit? I dont know.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Today's pit bull is a descendant of the original English bull-baiting dog—a dog that was bred to bite and hold bulls, bears and other large animals around the face and head. When baiting large animals was outlawed in the 1800s, people turned instead to fighting their dogs against each other.
We take a dog with these characteristics and expect them to be kind and gentle. For some people I think they get lucky, other people not so much. I mean why take the chance? Sure train them all you want. All it takes is for the Master/Trainer to not be home and the dog goes apeshit and does something like this. I hate the breed personally and will do what I can to keep away from them. We have a lot of friends with them, but I keep my distance.

Well if you are going to tell the story, don’t just tell half of it.. original pit bulls like the ones you described only weighed about 25 lbs..

The 50-60 lb dogs of today were bread to be larger to run along side covered wagon trains.. Their job was to protect the children by fights by off mountain lions bobcats, bears etc..

So there’s that..
only breed of dog that was breed specifically to not bite humans..

Being that just about anything falls under the category “pit bull” it isn’t hard to understand the statistics..

Weirdly it was americas favorite dog not that long ago.. commonly used around children.

3392E496-AD9E-4325-901D-071D2D19B873.jpeg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The akc temperament chart would disagree with that

JLG614

Signature Garage Design / Epoxy Flooring
Reaction score
Such a sad story, RIP.

It really sucks to read about pit bulls. I've always loved the breed and I had one for 8 years before she got cancer. She was the best dog I have ever owned. Super mellow and just loved to keep to herself but if you came near my house and weren't supposed to be there she would let you know. I will say she wasn't the most trustworthy dog. I never had an issue with her but if she didn't know you or trust you she would sit in the corner and watch every move you made. Never bit anyone though because I would tell people to just ignore her and let her do her thing. Now that I have a son and a daughter on the way I don't know if I would ever get one again. The thought of a dog like that turning on my wife or kid is unimaginable. I would never get another dog until I know that my wife and I are done having kids because I've heard to many stories about bringing a baby home with a dog already in the home and the dog not liking it.
IMG_9548 (1).jpg

Outdrive1

Reaction score
Such a sad story, RIP.

It really sucks to read about pit bulls. I've always loved the breed and I had one for 8 years before she got cancer. She was the best dog I have ever owned. Super mellow and just loved to keep to herself but if you came near my house and weren't supposed to be there she would let you know. I will say she wasn't the most trustworthy dog. I never had an issue with her but if she didn't know you or trust you she would sit in the corner and watch every move you made. Never bit anyone though because I would tell people to just ignore her and let her do her thing. Now that I have a son and a daughter on the way I don't know if I would ever get one again. The thought of a dog like that turning on my wife or kid is unimaginable. I would never get another dog until I know that my wife and I are done having kids because I've heard to many stories about bringing a baby home with a dog already in the home and the dog not liking it.
View attachment 1162004

Your dog scared me Josh. Lol.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Well if you are going to tell the story, don’t just tell half of it.. original pit bulls like the ones you described only weighed about 25 lbs..

The 50-60 lb dogs of today were bread to be larger to run along side covered wagon trains.. Their job was to protect the children by fights by off mountain lions bobcats, bears etc..

So there’s that..
only breed of dog that was breed specifically to not bite humans..

Being that just about anything falls under the category “pit bull” it isn’t hard to understand the statistics..

Weirdly it was americas favorite dog not that long ago.. commonly used around children.

View attachment 1161993

And there you have it. Right on que.
Spanky and the gang.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I have had pits in my family before while growing up and they truly are the best dogs. we got one for my dad after a breakup and that thing kept him company and was a loyal friend til my dad died. then we got to enjoy her for her two final years as well.

As a pit lover, this thread even got me looking up statistics to try and refute everyone's fear or hate of this breed. But the data is that 66% of all dog deaths in the US happen by pits. That sucked to read as my experience has been the polar opposite.

Does it come down to the owners that are shit? I dont know.

Like i said, it’s a risk. Sort of up to each dog owner I guess.
But the numbers don’t lie, and the insurance companies don’t operate on heresay or rhetoric.