WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

They're great dogs... until they are not.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
I dont know what to say... Sad deal in regards to the original post. I got nothing against the breed but i wont own one.

I have a mastiff/rotti male that my wife and i rescued he is a baby! We yell at our girls he bolts for the bedroom and i could literally count on one hand the bad things hes done from pup to now. I would consider another one.

I have a Rhodesian/Chow mix he is now a great dog after about 5 years he came around (also a rescue). That dog should have killed himself so many times from chewing on things like a snubnose .357, to unwrapping the cardboard off razor blades to eating whole packs of backwoods cigars. He isnt scared of nothing but doesn't flaunt it. He is the best camping dog now but it wasnt something that happened overnight. I will not look for another Rhodesian/Chow.

We have a female Anatolian shepherd that we rescued to. We got her at 2 years old and she is awesome. She fell in love with our girls from day one and wont leave their sides. She is super protective and will put herself between strangers and the girls. I would definitely consider another one.

Our dogs live like royalty we have dog beds every where if you come to visit you won't see them but when you leave the beds come back out. Its pretty rare our dogs spend the day outside they are fed regularly and have water. They are disciplined if they do something wrong. We spend time with them they go everywhere with us.

Some key points from reading most the thread and some of my two cents:

Know the breed know the bloodline if you're dog is coming from a line of "im gonna F you up" thats probably what you're going to get.

Accept full ownership if your dog is going to need training get it trained.

Get to know your dog spend time with it to find its triggers.

Provide a nice home for your dog, bieng chained up aint livin. All dogs have a "job" they need purpose. My two males are positive their purpose is laying on their beds haha

Know when to through in the towel, there's a lot of dogs that just end up being too far gone. My Father in law had a German shepherd so mean to strangers he had to give him up. Gave him to the sheriff's dept. 1 week later they brought him back said no way that dog is crazy. He then passed him on to a rancher and that dog had a great life herding cattle. Kind of ties in to the purpose thing but you get

Dont trust any dog, especially one wagging a tail. That means neither good or bad

C-2

Reaction score
I dunno, I think the hood rats have moved on from Pit Bulls, realizing the large breed dogs like Cane Corso's, Tosa Inu’s and the aforementioned Dogo Argentinoand other similar large breed dogs are the latest lethal weapons. My neighbor kid is on his second litter of Cane Corso’s. He sells them to guys with shiny rims and loud exhausts, I can’t believe the coin these people pay for them.

Years ago before the Interweb we couldn’t find a breeder to sell us a Bull Mastiff, and we ended up getting an English Mastiff. Breeders were responsible back then and wanted to make sure you were equipped/capable of handling a big breed dog.

Not anymore ☹️

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Another winter another pitbull thread..

Why don’t you guys spend five minutes and actually learn about the subject matter and dogs as a whole.

A mastive or a rotweiler will do as much if not more than a pit can to a full size grown adult.. Shepard being next (above a pitbull)

I’m not real scared of dogs.. but an actual pitbull is the least of my worries compared to those three.

A pit doesn’t weigh more than 55-60 lbs.. they aren’t large dogs and not hard to deal with if you know how. A rot is a small bear.. I’m not even sure what you do with that if it goes unhinged.

When I was a kid it was a cocker spaniel that got me according to my mom.

Later in life it was a lab.: When I was 16-17 I got it from another lab.. the second one paid for the first and it’s own..

Dogs are dogs..

This whole I’m gonna get a dog capable of whatever and accept no responsibility for the lack of training towards said capable thing is shocking,,

I don’t think wtg is wrong.. I think society is wrong.

Trained you won’t find a better breed than a pit.. any dog expert will tell ya the same thing. They are great dogs

I’m all about research and subject matter.
The statistics simply do not bear out your opinion.

Dog bite claims account for about a third of all homeowner liability claims most years.
Sometimes more, sometimes less.
A recent year saw $600 million in payouts for homeowner dog bite claims nationwide
These figures are sort of averaged from several different insurance sites I looked at.
There are States that prevent insurance carriers from banning what they call aggressive or dangerous breeds. These lists of breeds are ALWAYS topped by pit bulls (and anything resembling a pit bull, they don’t care what sort of terrier this or terrier that it may be, if it looks like a pit then it’s a pit as far as the insurance carrier and courts are concerned)
Then Rotties and then usually German Shepards.
There are a couple companies that do not discriminate against pits.
State Farm will cover you based on the dogs bite history. But that is going to cost you.
USAA will also cover pits, but there are stipulations with all of them such as declaring that you own a pit to start with. Because you can expect a measurable increase in premium to cover that pit bull. Also if the dog goes off and a claim is made you will likely be shopping a new insurance carrier at the very least.
One insurance site I looked at said that pit bulls alone account for a 1% premium increase annually, other sites say that 1% increase is due to dog bite claims in general.

So what I think and what you think and what any dog owner thinks about this is sort of just that, opinion.
The numbers don’t lie, and the insurance companies do not generally base their business on opinion. It’s all about cost and risk.
Bottom line, pits are expensive because they fuck people up worse than any other breed and more consistently than any other breed.
“Breed” being determined by the payer, not a dog breeder.

There simply is no argument a pit bull owner can make in court or with their own insurer.
Not because of opinion, but simply because the stats don’t lie, and the judge and insurance adjuster have heard it a thousand times already.

Personally, I decided many years ago that the risk/ reward was far too lopsided for me to continue to own pits…
My Red Chow was a way worse tempered dog than any of the several different pits I had.
That dog was an asshole.

Last edited:

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I dunno, I think the hood rats have moved on from Pit Bulls, realizing the large breed dogs like Cane Corso's, Tosa Inu’s and the aforementioned Dogo Argentinoand other similar large breed dogs are the latest lethal weapons. My neighbor kid is on his second litter of Cane Corso’s. He sells them to guys with shiny rims and loud exhausts, I can’t believe the coin these people pay for them.
I believe in coming years we see an uptic in hood rats with Belgian Mals.
One of the more capable breeds you’re going to find and fences won’t contain one that wants out.

They are expensive right now.
One reason puts are so popular is because they are not expensive. A dime a dozen.
But I believe the Mal will be the next back yard breeder special.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I believe in coming years we see an uptic in hood rats with Belgian Mals.
One of the more capable breeds you’re going to find and fences won’t contain one that wants out.

They are expensive right now.
One reason puts are so popular is because they are not expensive. A dime a dozen.
But I believe the Mal will be the next back yard breeder special.
I don't think the thugs have time for a Mal energy level. I just started training with a group that have a lot of them. They are a lot of work. But these dogs are next level trained.

There are a few backyard breeders posting them for $600 on Craigslist. The ones at training they pay around $3000 for top bloodlines. Used to be a lot more.

If you were local I would say come check it out. They have a few Dobermans in the group. Our shepherd is well trained. But the more training the better the dog. Not looking to compete but depending on how she takes it we might.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I don't think the thugs have time for a Mal energy level. I just started training with a group that have a lot of them. They are a lot of work. But these dogs are next level trained.

There are a few backyard breeders posting them for $600 on Craigslist. The ones at training they pay around $3000 for top bloodlines. Used to be a lot more.

If you were local I would say come check it out. They have a few Dobermans in the group. Our shepherd is well trained. But the more training the better the dog. Not looking to compete but depending on how she takes it we might.

Those things are a trip!

Last edited:

mbrown2

Reaction score
There was a golden retriever that lived in the keys.. nicest dog ever. He’d swim through the canals and roam the entire community. Play with the kids..

One day a guy was driving in a golf cart and that golden snapped.. mauled the shit out of him.

Dogs are dogs..

Awhile back there was some small dog that nibbled all the fibers and toes off a baby.

All dogs have the capacity for harm
In looking at the stats you are highlighting the outliers... the clear majority of attacks happen from a certain type of breed that go under various names.... They are not mis-labeling boxers, or akita's or non pits with pits to trump the numbers up. I did a quick search and you are able to find data from CDC to Forbes to Dogbite.org that continue to support the evidence... We had pit bull growing up and have been around them....I would not own one; too much risk.... Personally I would not own any aggressive breed as I have them around lots of people and don't want to worry about how they will behave regardless of the persons they come in contact with.......

bonesfab

Reaction score
Mal's are a handful and a half. A lady at the dog park has two. when trained they are awsome pups. But next level on intensity.

NicPaus

Reaction score
It's no myth.. my buddy used to breed ring dogs!
My brother had a few fighting pits as well. Also a weight puller. All of them papered. When the weight puller would lock on, good luck. We used to throw him in the pool and hold him under water to get him to release. Buckets of water, beating him over the head with a dolly would not phase him. He was the nicest dog though until he would snap to show dominance.

River Runnin

Reaction score
Not pit but another killing - never heard of this dog but is outlawed in a lot of countries…

California woman, 80, is mauled to death by two hunting dogs

https://mol.im/a/11301497
A friend had one of those and got Very aggressive and towards their new baby! -- He took it for a walk , gave it a bullet to the head and left it for the coyotes! 😑

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
A friend had one of those and got Very aggressive and towards their new baby! -- He took it for a walk , gave it a bullet to the head and left it for the coyotes! 😑

That’s how my uncle and cousins did it back on the farms in Ohio.
One snap at the kids and the dog went on a one way walk to the woods out back.
Didn’t matter what dog or why.
Zero tolerance.

Swain

Reaction score
They have a Mal at Orange County Animal Shelter right now.

Pet ID: A1775111
Sex:
S
Weight: 71.00 lbs
Color: Bl Brindle
Breed: Belg Malinois
Jurisdiction: Trabuco Cyn
Intake Date: 07/19/2022
Intake Jurisdiction: Trabuco Cyn
Kennel: 505
Hold:

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Those things are a trip!

They are actually amazing.. super cool dogs in the right hands! But it's like a collie or a healer, you better have lots of attention to give! They are a "working" dog!

ramos45

Reaction score
All are entitles to their opinions no matter how absurd or logical. Regardless, this is/can be a learning opportunity for many considering dog ownership and kids.RIP to the little ones and hope for a healthy recovery for the remaining couple.

Warlock1

Reaction score
Well if you are going to tell the story, don’t just tell half of it.. original pit bulls like the ones you described only weighed about 25 lbs..

The 50-60 lb dogs of today were bread to be larger to run along side covered wagon trains.. Their job was to protect the children by fights by off mountain lions bobcats, bears etc..

So there’s that..
only breed of dog that was breed specifically to not bite humans..

Being that just about anything falls under the category “pit bull” it isn’t hard to understand the statistics..

Weirdly it was americas favorite dog not that long ago.. commonly used around children.

View attachment 1161993
I wasn't telling half the story. I was quoting the reason for the breed to be started. I don't care the weight of what it was then, but what it has morphed to now. It still has the same basic characteristics as the original breed did.

Another quick search reveals this: As early as the 13th century, the dogs were bred for the now-illegal sport of bull-baiting. The English Bulldog is a short-haired, medium-sized dog (40 to 50 pounds) with a low, sturdy stance, a large, short-faced head with an underbite, wide shoulders, and short tail. So I am not sure where you got the 25 pound measurement.

As my original post states that they were bred to go after larger animals. So my question is how were they bred again (and with what) to substantiate this? "The 50-60 lb dogs of today were bread to be larger to run along side covered wagon trains.. Their job was to protect the children by fights by off mountain lions bobcats, bears etc.."

Also how does one breed them to not bite humans? That seems to be more of a training thing. Also doesn't that suggest they have an issue with just biting anything if they get triggered?

Weirdly people actually voted for Joe Biden.... commonly around young children

Letsride22

Reaction score
When my daughter was born we had a dog that was part chow
Really liked her but never had warm fuzzy feeling with her around the baby
Acted aggressive one day and found her a new home the next
The dog that is

Only dog I ever got rid of
Chows can be aggressive as hell! A buddy of mine used to breed them. The male, which I had been around many times latched onto my calf when I was at his house one night. Fortunately there was a large pipe wrench near by. He was meaner than shit though, and my buddy eventually had to put him down.

gqchris

Reaction score
I almost drew down on a Pit Bull walking towards myself and family a few weeks ago. Hair on his back was standing up, dog was doing the slow stroll, and had the biggest pair of balls I have ever seen on a dog. I told my girls to stay behind me and this dog was about 5 seconds away from getting shot. Owner came running over and dog scuttled away. Ass puckering moment for me and I proceeded to go home and change my shorts with all my girls crying.

But it is another reason of the 100 that you need to be carrying at all times.

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
Chows can be aggressive as hell! A buddy of mine used to breed them. The male, which I had been around many times latched onto my calf when I was at his house one night. Fortunately there was a large pipe wrench near by. He was meaner than shit though, and my buddy eventually had to put him down.

Chows were bred as a "century" they had one job, guard the gate and kill!.. one of the most unstable breeds I have ever been around. Far worse than a pit IMO...

gqchris

Reaction score
I passed out at a buddies house one day when I used to work graveyards. I woke up on his couch with his Black Chow growling 2 inches from my face. Holy Fuck I was scared. I'm still surprised I was not bit that day! I remember the gray gums and teeth like it was yesterday.

NicPaus

Reaction score
The fighter pits were in the 30lb range. They were "Game" they would destroy larger dogs by wearing them out before the kill. If one would bite the handler at any point. Even when separating 2 from fighting they would kill them. It is breed into there lines not to bite a handler. That's why most pits are actually not great guard dogs. It was breed into the breed for years to not attack or bite the handler.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Chows were bred as a "century" they had one job, guard the gate and kill!.. one of the most unstable breeds I have ever been around. Far worse than a pit IMO...
Chows are generally on the list of excluded breeds under most homeowners insurance

this is the general list. Some companies recently started allowing German Shepherds

"Akitas, Cane Corsos, Chows, Pit Bulls, Presa Canario (canary dog), Rottweilers,

Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Wolf Hybrids"

Reactions: DWC

River Runnin

Reaction score
That’s how my uncle and cousins did it back on the farms in Ohio.
One snap at the kids and the dog went on a one way walk to the woods out back.
Didn’t matter what dog or why.
Zero tolerance.
New school and city folk just don’t comprehend! — Just like! You ever had tacos in Mexico? See many dogs? Or meat on a stick in the Philippines? It’s pretty damn good!

Last edited:

NicPaus

Reaction score
With all dogs especially larger breeds. You want to make sure they know the owners are Alpha. Dominance is natural for a dog. You can't ever let them think they are above you in hierarchy.

I learned this with my first dog trainer. He had a golden retriever that learned it could dominate its elderly owners. He would take food from them and actually bit one of them before they seeked professional help.

NicPaus

Reaction score
New school and city folk just don’t comprehend!
My Dad was raised on a farm. His mentality can be a little harsh. But I 100% get what you are talking about. There was no pets. A bullet was cheaper than the vet. He has come a long ways. He actually likes dogs now.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I wasn't telling half the story. I was quoting the reason for the breed to be started. I don't care the weight of what it was then, but what it has morphed to now. It still has the same basic characteristics as the original breed did.

Another quick search reveals this: As early as the 13th century, the dogs were bred for the now-illegal sport of bull-baiting. The English Bulldog is a short-haired, medium-sized dog (40 to 50 pounds) with a low, sturdy stance, a large, short-faced head with an underbite, wide shoulders, and short tail. So I am not sure where you got the 25 pound measurement.

As my original post states that they were bred to go after larger animals. So my question is how were they bred again (and with what) to substantiate this? "The 50-60 lb dogs of today were bread to be larger to run along side covered wagon trains.. Their job was to protect the children by fights by off mountain lions bobcats, bears etc.."

Also how does one breed them to not bite humans? That seems to be more of a training thing. Also doesn't that suggest they have an issue with just biting anything if they get triggered?

Weirdly people actually voted for Joe Biden.... commonly around young children

Bull dogs are different than pits.. original pit bulls were 25’ish lbs..

As said above the fight dogs were killed if they ever bit a handler.

As for why the breeding matters? Well technically even a toy poodle is a descendant of wolves.

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
Like I said earlier.. spend five minutes and learn something..

It’s a myth. Not sure what to tell ya.

They do have a lot of game in them.. but no locking jaw.

Go google it and come back, I’ll wait

I don't need to Google it, I have seen it first hand!! If its something you dont believe, that's fine! I dont need to research when it has been delt with first hand! Maybe not "actual" lockjaw but..

And you should know I'm highly fond of the pit breed from the right bloodline! just know what you have😉

I'm a firm believer in dogs are all how you raise them!!

just_floatin

Reaction score
As a six year old child I was mauled by a German Shepard while riding my big wheel. 24 stitches total across my body. I recall this attack as if it were yesterday some 40+ years later. The dog came out of nowhere.

The attack took place in front of my home and not on a neighboring property. Do I hate the German Shepard breed? No. Do I blame the owner of the breed? Yes. Pets are animals not human and often mimic their owners behaviors.

There may be more to this terrible tragedy then reported by the media. The media tends to preys on “if it bleeds, it leads” stories. Especially when Pit Bulls are involved.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
As a six year old child I was mauled by a German Shepard while riding my big wheel. 24 stitches total across my body. I recall this attack as if it were yesterday some 40+ years later. The dog came out of nowhere.

The attack took place in front of my home and not on a neighboring property. Do I hate the German Shepard breed? No. Do I blame the owner of the breed? Yes. Pets are animals not human and often mimic their owners behaviors.

There may be more to this terrible tragedy then reported by the media. The media tends to preys on “if it bleeds, it leads” stories. Especially when Pit Bulls are involved.

It’s kind of hard to put a spin on 2 dead kids and a critically injured mom.

j21black

Reaction score
With all dogs especially larger breeds. You want to make sure they know the owners are Alpha. Dominance is natural for a dog. You can't ever let them think they are above you in hierarchy.

I learned this with my first dog trainer. He had a golden retriever that learned it could dominate its elderly owners. He would take food from them and actually bit one of them before they seeked professional help.

This -

We have 5 dogs - 4 of them are male -

One will pee on a spot, and the others will go pee on top of it in their pecking order -

Every now and then, I'll piss on top of it all just so they know 😀😀😀😀

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
This little shithead dog will attack any dog no matter the size, even on the tv, full attack mode, we went to multiple trainers, never could break him of that, loves people just hates other dogs, Thankfully when he attacks bigger dogs they usually just look at him like wtf is your problem, when got divorced lisa told me i had to take him, i was fine, ill take him right to the pound, she still has the pos, and he still pisses and shits in the house whenever he feels like it, View attachment 1162063

View attachment 1162062
"Take em right to the pound"... Loved that

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Really?
Do you have small children, they do not anymore...
Yes, I did. And our dogs were around a houseful of kids, all the time 24/7. One of them did steal and eat 23.5 chocolate chip cookies once, off the island. Our 50lb bordie collie was the biter you had to worry about. That bordie collie caught, killed, and ate the neighbor's cat. My wife got to watch it unfold.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
My brother had a few fighting pits as well. Also a weight puller. All of them papered. When the weight puller would lock on, good luck. We used to throw him in the pool and hold him under water to get him to release. Buckets of water, beating him over the head with a dolly would not phase him. He was the nicest dog though until he would snap to show dominance.
Finger in the butt is the ticket... you first

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I've never known any Pits till 2 years ago when this guy moved in across street. Now he's a welcomed guest and is here keeping me company maybe 5 times a week. Its a great arrangement for both parties involved; owners get to take nights out together knowing their mutt is in good hands. But there are rules; I don't walk him and I don't pick up his shit in my yard. [I mark it with a brick for owners when they come get him. I've never known if it was enviornment or breed but some mutts are just sketchy & opt to be violent. I grew up and have had nothing but Danes... they're dumb as fuck, adore kids and none violent by nature. But I've enjoyed this thread about Pits. There was a gal friend over last week and I was babystting the mutt. He was curled over in his couch corner sleeping.... he's adorable looking so the chicks always love on him and it works but he has a tell. He growled at me a year ago after we'd been sitting next to each other watching sports... I got close to his head and he growled and then took a swing at me butting the side of my head and it swoll up from head butt. I figure he coulda taken my face off but was just sending me a message that we aint that tight. My bad. So last week this gal who's known the Pitt a year is stroking him as he sleeps in a ball... theres a growl that I didn't hear... and he goes for her face cause she was at his level on hands/ knees on floor while he was on couch. It was loud, fast and violent as fuck. It seemed to take forever till he let her go.... she's got 4 punctures and lots of swelling a week later. Emergency stitched her cheek up and she'll have plastic surgery soon to heal up 'Her moneymaker".... Tell ya what and say what ya want... till you've lived through one its hard to know what to think....I like this mutt but we aint that tight!

Attachments

• IMG_1221.jpg
    IMG_1221.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0287 (2).jpg
    IMG_0287 (2).jpg
    550.2 KB · Views: 43

Drew

Banned
Reaction score
I don’t trust any pit. It’s was a man made fighting bread. This being said any fighting dog that shower aggression to humans was put down. This no longer happens. And it shows that A) they should never have been bread. B) they should never have been made family dogs. It’s like putting grandma in a copo Camaro to go get groceries . It’s not going to end well for both parties.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I've never known any Pits till 2 years ago when this guy moved in across street. Now he's a welcomed guest and is here keeping me company maybe 5 times a week. Its a great arrangement for both parties involved; owners get to take nights out together knowing their mutt is in good hands. But there are rules; I don't walk him and I don't pick up his shit in my yard. [I mark it with a brick for owners when they come get him. I've never known if it was enviornment or breed but some mutts are just sketchy & opt to be violent. I grew up and have had nothing but Danes... they're dumb as fuck, adore kids and none violent by nature. But I've enjoyed this thread about Pits. There was a gal friend over last week and I was babystting the mutt. He was curled over in his couch corner sleeping.... he's adorable looking so the chicks always love on him and it works but he has a tell. He growled at me a year ago after we'd been sitting next to each other watching sports... I got close to his head and he growled and then took a swing at me butting the side of my head and it swoll up from head butt. I figure he coulda taken my face off but was just sending me a message that we aint that tight. My bad. So last week this gal who's known the Pitt a year is stroking him as he sleeps in a ball... theres a growl that I didn't hear... and he goes for her face cause she was at his level on hands/ knees on floor while he was on couch. It was loud, fast and violent as fuck. It seemed to take forever till he let her go.... she's got 4 punctures and lots of swelling a week later. Emergency stitched her cheek up and she'll have plastic surgery soon to heal up 'Her moneymaker".... Tell ya what and say what ya want... till you've lived through one its hard to know what to think....I like this mutt but we aint that tight!

What if anything was done to correct the behavior? Did you notify the owners when it happened the first time?

NicPaus

Reaction score
Finger in the butt is the ticket... you first
[/QUOTE]

Lol. I learned my lesson years ago about breaking up dog fights. Just let them go it's not worth the bite. Never reach in. If you have a longer object you can use but not your body.

When that pit growled at you. You should of choked him out or pinned him down until he submitted. Let him know your alpha.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
What if anything was done to correct the behavior? Did you notify the owners when it happened the first time?
Good question.... The owner was actually in the room when it happened. He freaked out, came over and yelled at dog etc but the attack was over by then. The gal later told me she didn't want to pull away during attack cause she felt he'd pull and she knew the teeth were in. [She's a badass Czech tough chick] I rushed over to get her off floor and take her to bathroom to see face damage. And yes I thought about not telling owners he took a shot at me fearing they'd stop letting him over here. But I had an agressive Dane so decided to inform pit owners because they're close friends and given that this is their 3rd Pit and I've walked with them when bringing Pit and I see they avoid all interactions with both humans and mutts on these walks. Thats very telling. When we met I noticed they chocked up on his leash and I look for that when meeting dogs & owners. Its a tell. They've shared that one of their earlier pits locked up with their 2nd dog and damn near killed it. [Finger in butt release technique observed] As far as 'What was done to correct behavior" that to me really is the explanation to alot of this topic. This couple never had kids and those types train their mutts as humans unfortunately it appears. He yelled and freaked after the attack but the dogs are just doing what dogs do and since they've never invested time/ money in training [all their pits have been rescues] I think it is what it is. They simply don't expose this mutt to situations where something like this might occur. Unfortunately/ fortunately they are now my friends across the street and they see how the mutt digs hanging out with me so they indulge. I have many friends constantly walking into my place and over time this mutt has become highly socialized and friendly to everyone. [Just don't fuck with him when he's resting in the corner of a couch] Owners a rich dude and before this is all over she may sue his ass.... He was gonna just offer her $150K after the attack and I advised him to simply wait this out a bit. He's being very generous and supportive saying whatever she needs she gets [he's a retired atty] and they had a friendship of value prior to the attack. He and I have discussed the sensative nature of all this in that she'll have many people in her ear and may ultimately want money depending on plastic surgery results on her face. Its an interesting situation for sure and far from over .....

Last edited:

Caydens Cat

all I got was a t-shirt
Reaction score
@RiverDave this story goes on and on each year - must be 15 or so by now. “Winter is coming” comes to mind with this breed. Yet, you always stand by them? Why?

You’re a gambler, and, self-admitted good at it. Why play the odds with a pit?

My cousin had Mia, a beautiful pit. Watched and kept his son warm and welcome since he was born. Great dog.

First dog as a kid was a German Sheppard. Loved kids didn’t trust large men. Also, the same breed that latched onto my ass in high school when a door was opened and he wasn’t expecting me to be there. 4 canines in the cheek. Funny when my parents developed pictures to find those of my butt!

As a gambler, think of playing the odds. I wouldn’t bet on a perfect Pit throughout its life.

PlanB

Reaction score
In looking at the stats you are highlighting the outliers... the clear majority of attacks happen from a certain type of breed that go under various names.... They are not mis-labeling boxers, or akita's or non pits with pits to trump the numbers up. I did a quick search and you are able to find data from CDC to Forbes to Dogbite.org that continue to support the evidence... We had pit bull growing up and have been around them....I would not own one; too much risk.... Personally I would not own any aggressive breed as I have them around lots of people and don't want to worry about how they will behave regardless of the persons they come in contact with.......

That site is bullshit. The lady that runs that site was attacked by what she thought was a Pit (turned out it was not) and has a vendetta against the breed ever since. Her site is full of shit and she is well known as a liar in the Pit community.

I have had Pits since 1987. 35 years of owning several pits and have never had a problem. I currently own two and my mother also has one. I generally don't get involved with these arguments anymore, but when I see that bitches site get posted as fact I have to counter that.

When I was a cop I worked in a shitty area with lots of ghetto dogs in peoples yards. The only dog I ever had an issue with was a retriever mix that attacked me. I put three rounds of .40 in his chest.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
To me. With all that is known. If you’re a gambler and want to bet your kids life. Get a pit.
I would never have one especially with young babies / children in my house. After reading stats and stories. ( yes Dave. Every winter more stories of pits killing kids and family. Not goldens and cockers) I would would never let my grandchild be even babysat by a person who has a pit in there house.
To each their own. If you want have one. Awesome. And i hope you never have a horror story.

Reactions: FCT

mbrown2

Reaction score
That site is bullshit. The lady that runs that site was attacked by what she thought was a Pit (turned out it was not) and has a vendetta against the breed ever since. Her site is full of shit and she is well known as a liar in the Pit community.

I have had Pits since 1987. 35 years of owning several pits and have never had a problem. I currently own two and my mother also has one. I generally don't get involved with these arguments anymore, but when I see that bitches site get posted as fact I have to counter that.

When I was a cop I worked in a shitty area with lots of ghetto dogs in peoples yards. The only dog I ever had an issue with was a retriever mix that attacked me. I put three rounds of .40 in his chest.
Thx for the background on that lady and site...

Here is more from CDC...we can chase and debate numbers but show me the site that says Pitbull are not biting and doing more damage than other breeds.. I could not find in simple searching... I am not talking sites that tell you how to manage aggressive just data stats...

I know certain sites might have narrative but I was hard pressed to find one that had numbers that showed a different view.

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
Interesting being a spectator reading this with me having no opinion either way. In my life I have found there are only 2 conclusions when it comes to Pits, people that defend them with a religious type of belief and the other side that opposes them with a religious type of accusation. having met many owners and their pits, I have never felt uneasy around them. now snakes is a whole different story with me......