WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

They're great dogs... until they are not.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
LoL,you guys ever notice RD never has “Horror Stories”? RD should be considered an artist in the area of any conversation. wtf you think keeps this place going for 15 years in winter? :)

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
You want to know what color cars get wrecked the most, look at insurance stats.
You want to know what cars get stolen the most, ask the insurance companies.
You want to know what gets payed out the most for life insurance, ask the insurance companies.
Their entire business is based on real life statistics.
There is no debate.
Pit bulls kill the most people, by a long shot, half of whom are kids, and are the number one dog liability.
Period. It isnt opinion, it isn’t breed hate, and it isn’t a mystery. It’s cold hard fact from the people that deal in cold hard facts.

And this thread was not started as a winter past time, it was started because 2 more kids are dead.
Roll the dice if you want, the odds are good you won’t make headlines…but somebody, and their pit bull, will.

PlanB

Reaction score
Thx for the background on that lady and site...

Here is more from CDC...we can chase and debate numbers but show me the site that says Pitbull are not biting and doing more damage than other breeds.. I could not find in simple searching... I am not talking sites that tell you how to manage aggressive just data stats...

I know certain sites might have narrative but I was hard pressed to find one that had numbers that showed a different view.
You can search for temperament testing among breeds and see that Pits score very high. Also remember that all bully type breeds get lumped into the same bucket as a "Pit Bull". American Pit bull Terrier is an actual breed recognized by the UKC. Most of these dogs labeled as "Pit Bulls" are not. This skews stats substantially when it comes to tracking bites.

I don't have the energy (still sick from my fucking COVID vax) to dig deep into research right now.

ETA: Here is what the UKC recognizes in the breed (actual papered APBT's).

CHARACTERISTICS​

The essential characteristics of the American Pit Bull Terrier are strength, confidence, and zest for life. This breed is eager to please and brimming over with enthusiasm. APBTs make excellent family companions and have always been noted for their love of children. Because most APBTs exhibit some level of dog aggression and because of its powerful physique, the APBT requires an owner who will carefully socialize and obedience train the dog. The breed’s natural agility makes it one of the most capable canine climbers so good fencing is a must for this breed. The APBT is not the best choice for a guard dog since they are extremely friendly, even with strangers. Aggressive behavior toward humans is uncharacteristic of the breed and highly undesirable. This breed does very well in performance events because of its high level of intelligence and its willingness to work.

Disqualifications: Viciousness or extreme shyness.

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
LoL,you guys ever notice RD never has “Horror Stories”? RD should be considered an artist in the area of any conversation. wtf you think keeps this place going for 15 years in winter? :)
I dunno, his horrendous ankle injury, numerous subsequent surgeries and continuing daily misery was and is pretty ugly I thought. 😖
But yes, he's a glass full guy, even if there's only condensation visible on the sides. 😆

dribble

Reaction score
I dunno, I think the hood rats have moved on from Pit Bulls, realizing the large breed dogs like Cane Corso's, Tosa Inu’s and the aforementioned Dogo Argentinoand other similar large breed dogs are the latest lethal weapons. My neighbor kid is on his second litter of Cane Corso’s. He sells them to guys with shiny rims and loud exhausts, I can’t believe the coin these people pay for them.

Years ago before the Interweb we couldn’t find a breeder to sell us a Bull Mastiff, and we ended up getting an English Mastiff. Breeders were responsible back then and wanted to make sure you were equipped/capable of handling a big breed dog.

Not anymore ☹️
Those dog are all too expensive for hood rats. Pit Bulls (like school lunches and cell phones) are free.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
You want to know what gets payed out the most for life insurance, ask the insurance companies.
There is no debate.
Pit bulls kill the most people, by a long shot, half of whom are kids, and are the number one dog liability.
Period. It isnt opinion, it isn’t breed hate, and it isn’t a mystery. It’s cold hard fact from the people that deal in cold hard facts.

And this thread was not started as a winter past time, it was started because 2 more kids are dead.
Roll the dice if you want, the odds are good you won’t make headlines…but somebody, and their pit bull, will.
This thread went off the rails long before “winter” was mentioned.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Are you truly looking for a family pet, or is it something else? If you’re looking for a home and family reliable, easily trained pet and protector, that’s never going to eat Grandma’s face . . . For us, a Newfoundland was the choice. For our daughter in northern NV Great Pyrenees have also been great.

Sure, there are exceptions, but facts are just that.

just_floatin

Reaction score
It’s kind of hard to put a spin on 2 dead kids and a critically injured mom.
Not trying to put a spin on this tragic story. Any unexpected lose of life is extremely sad. Especially when innocent children are involved.

Having said that, the parents were not oblivious to the breed or their temperament when they decided to make the dogs family pets. If they didn’t do their due diligence then shame on them because not all breeds are cookie-cutter alike. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_pit_bull

I personally owned a 40 pound American Staffordshire Terrier and did extensive research on the breed, training and the breeder I purchased my female from. By far the best family dog I ever owned and would own another if the opportunity presents itself again. Very calm temperament but labeled Pit Bull by the general populace including my insurance company. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Staffordshire_Terrier

Badchoices03

Reaction score
That site is bullshit. The lady that runs that site was attacked by what she thought was a Pit (turned out it was not) and has a vendetta against the breed ever since. Her site is full of shit and she is well known as a liar in the Pit community.

I have had Pits since 1987. 35 years of owning several pits and have never had a problem. I currently own two and my mother also has one. I generally don't get involved with these arguments anymore, but when I see that bitches site get posted as fact I have to counter that.

When I was a cop I worked in a shitty area with lots of ghetto dogs in peoples yards. The only dog I ever had an issue with was a retriever mix that attacked me. I put three rounds of .40 in his chest.

This family had these dogs for 8 years, I am sure they also would tell everyone “I’ve owned pitbulls for years with no problems”…it isn’t a problem, until it is..

DWC

Reaction score
Good question.... The owner was actually in the room when it happened. He freaked out, came over and yelled at dog etc but the attack was over by then. The gal later told me she didn't want to pull away during attack cause she felt he'd pull and she knew the teeth were in. [She's a badass Czech tough chick] I rushed over to get her off floor and take her to bathroom to see face damage. And yes I thought about not telling owners he took a shot at me fearing they'd stop letting him over here. But I had an agressive Dane so decided to inform pit owners because they're close friends and given that this is their 3rd Pit and I've walked with them when bringing Pit and I see they avoid all interactions with both humans and mutts on these walks. Thats very telling. When we met I noticed they chocked up on his leash and I look for that when meeting dogs & owners. Its a tell. They've shared that one of their earlier pits locked up with their 2nd dog and damn near killed it. [Finger in butt release technique observed] As far as 'What was done to correct behavior" that to me really is the explanation to alot of this topic. This couple never had kids and those types train their mutts as humans unfortunately it appears. He yelled and freaked after the attack but the dogs are just doing what dogs do and since they've never invested time/ money in training [all their pits have been rescues] I think it is what it is. They simply don't expose this mutt to situations where something like this might occur. Unfortunately/ fortunately they are now my friends across the street and they see how the mutt digs hanging out with me so they indulge. I have many friends constantly walking into my place and over time this mutt has become highly socialized and friendly to everyone. [Just don't fuck with him when he's resting in the corner of a couch] Owners a rich dude and before this is all over she may sue his ass.... He was gonna just offer her $150K after the attack and I advised him to simply wait this out a bit. He's being very generous and supportive saying whatever she needs she gets [he's a retired atty] and they had a friendship of value prior to the attack. He and I have discussed the sensative nature of all this in that she'll have many people in her ear and may ultimately want money depending on plastic surgery results on her face. Its an interesting situation for sure and far from over .....
You weren’t going to tell because you wanted the dog to keep coming over?

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
You can search for temperament testing among breeds and see that Pits score very high. Also remember that all bully type breeds get lumped into the same bucket as a "Pit Bull". American Pit bull Terrier is an actual breed recognized by the UKC. Most of these dogs labeled as "Pit Bulls" are not. This skews stats substantially when it comes to tracking bites.

I don't have the energy (still sick from my fucking COVID vax) to dig deep into research right now.

ETA: Here is what the UKC recognizes in the breed (actual papered APBT's).

CHARACTERISTICS​

The essential characteristics of the American Pit Bull Terrier are strength, confidence, and zest for life. This breed is eager to please and brimming over with enthusiasm. APBTs make excellent family companions and have always been noted for their love of children. Because most APBTs exhibit some level of dog aggression and because of its powerful physique, the APBT requires an owner who will carefully socialize and obedience train the dog. The breed’s natural agility makes it one of the most capable canine climbers so good fencing is a must for this breed. The APBT is not the best choice for a guard dog since they are extremely friendly, even with strangers. Aggressive behavior toward humans is uncharacteristic of the breed and highly undesirable. This breed does very well in performance events because of its high level of intelligence and its willingness to work.

Disqualifications: Viciousness or extreme shyness.

Cool.
Think a judge will buy it?

Reactions: DWC

PlanB

Reaction score
This family had these dogs for 8 years, I am sure they also would tell everyone “I’ve owned pitbulls for years with no problems”…it isn’t a problem, until it is..
I owned Pits for 35 fucking years. My two I have now are 10 and 12 years old. Not one issue. I think I know the breed more than most on this forum.

PlanB

Reaction score
Cool.
Think a judge will buy it?
Your post makes zero fucking sense. WTF are you talking about? I am trying to post some info about the breed, the real breed. Not just a dog with a square head that the media or other lay person labels a Pit. The truth is most of these so called "Pits" are mutts.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I owned Pits for 35 fucking years. My two I have now are 10 and 12 years old. Not one issue. I think I know the breed more than most on this forum.
I get what you are saying. No need to get upset over posts on the internet.

The amount you have owned is a small number to how many are out there. One thing most do not realize when you look at statistics is how many pits there are compared to other dogs. In most neighborhoods they are 90% of the dogs except small breeds. If you look at the overall numbers of attacks to amount of each breed out there it would change the numbers.

I have been neighbors to, had friends with and family that have owned hundreds of pits. 10X more than any other breed. 98% have been great dogs no issues. But the few that have caused major damage are out there.

I just asked one neighbor last week where his dog was. It had attacked my Male shepherd previously. He attacked the neighbor down the way and was in hiding. Now this dog is far from raised correctly. But it now a statistic against pits being recorded.

The possibility is there like any large breed. It's best to be educated and spend money with a professional trainer. I can list a bunch of first hand knowledge of them attacking but like I mentioned it is 2% of the hundreds of pits I have been around. One friend switched from pits to a Presa canario. Talk about a intimidating dog I would not go near. Few Rottweilers I have known the same. Much worse than your average pit.

PlanB

Reaction score
I get what you are saying. No need to get upset over posts on the internet.

The amount you have owned is a small number to how many are out there. One thing most do not realize when you look at statistics is how many pits there are compared to other dogs. In most neighborhoods they are 90% of the dogs except small breeds. If you look at the overall numbers of attacks to amount of each breed out there it would change the numbers.

I have been neighbors to, had friends with and family that have owned hundreds of pits. 10X more than any other breed. 98% have been great dogs no issues. But the few that have caused major damage are out there.

I just asked one neighbor last week where his dog was. It had attacked my Male shepherd previously. He attacked the neighbor down the way and was in hiding. Now this dog is far from raised correctly. But it now a statistic against pits being recorded.

The possibility is there like any large breed. It's best to be educated and spend money with a professional trainer. I can list a bunch of first hand knowledge of them attacking but like I mentioned it is 2% of the hundreds of pits I have been around. One friend switched from pits to a Presa canario. Talk about a intimidating dog I would not go near. Few Rottweilers I have known the same. Much worse than your average pit.
I don't disagree with anything you are saying. My only point is how many of these dogs are actually Pits. The breed has been so muddied by people breeding bullies that are mixed with other breeds to get bigger heads, bigger dogs, more muscular dogs etc... You also have mutts that have blocky heads that are also referred to as Pits. The American Pit Bull Terrier is an actual breed. It would be like me calling every black and tan dog with long hair a GSD. Overall though, like I stated above, I agree with you.

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
This is Roscoe he knows who the boss is. He's 10yo. Thinks he is a person. He looks at other dogs that are barking and he like what is wrong with you I'm out. I love my Roscoe
IMG_20220420_064658_157.jpg
IMG_20220514_065806_186.jpg
20220905_105406.jpg
20220830_184915.jpg

Sad story for the family.

Last edited:

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
I don't disagree with anything you are saying. My only point is how many of these dogs are actually Pits. The breed has been so muddied by people breeding bullies that are mixed with other breeds to get bigger heads, bigger dogs, more muscular dogs etc... You also have mutts that have blocky heads that are also referred to as Pits. The American Pit Bull Terrier is an actual breed. It would be like me calling every black and tan dog with long hair a GSD. Overall though, like I stated above, I agree with you.

So… if a neighbor has a “pit” … is it a good one one? A bad mutt that looks like a “pit”. Sorry… not sorry. I’ll pass on the breed… and yes, family members have had pits… I don’t know the bloodline and don’t care… I don’t trust them. I don’t like them. And for the most part…. They are dangerous. Mainly due to bad owners.

PlanB

Reaction score
So… if a neighbor has a “pit” … is it a good one one? A bad mutt that looks like a “pit”. Sorry… not sorry. I’ll pass on the breed… and yes, family members have had pits… I don’t know the bloodline and don’t care… I don’t trust them. I don’t like them. And for the most part…. They are dangerous. Mainly due to bad owners.
"Pit" is not a breed. That's my whole point.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
One of my best friends, and my neighbor had American Bulldogs. Though they look like a large pit, they are nothing like a pit. Both dogs were around 130 lbs, but they were both absolute sweethearts their entire lives. I have never seen or heard of an American Bulldog being like a Pit.

Some pits (not even the majority of them), are good dogs. Most are squirrely..I had a buddy with a Pit that was a lap dog. Biggest teddy bear ever. He got married, and the dog changed. It bit several people, and cornered the wife once (luckily my buddy was home when that happened). He ended up having to put the dog down because it bit people..it was a great dog, until it wasn't. As sweet as that dog was, if it can turn, any Pit can turn.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
"Pit" is not a breed. That's my whole point.
Welllll… when you look at a dog… and it looks like a pit bull… yes I’ll judge on looks.. if looks like a pit bull it is one.. I carry a golf club when I walk my dog. Just saying… no dog will bite my dog.

Not directed at you: but people need to control the dog or it will meet my 5 iron. …, well.. I guess I’m not giving you or anyone else a free pass. I’ll protect my dog and deal with the consequences.
FYI there is a cool spot on my walk that I drop 3 golf balls and hit them… so I carry the club for a purpose. 😉

Backlash

Reaction score
I'm going to respectfully disagree with the HMFIC here and argue his point of "They only grow to 60 pounds."

Well, you're wrong.

109505.jpeg

This one is 108 pounds.

This is my wife next to a neighbor's dog. Yes, she is smiling in the picture, but she was scared.

I grabbed this dog after it got out that night, and secured it in a gated yard until the owner could get off his ass to come pick it up. The dog chewed through and ripped open a chain link fence to get out. My wife and I just happened to be walking up when I saw him on the sidewalk. Luckily for all, the dog knew her and I, and it was comfortable around us. It could have been catastrophic for anyone else had we not grabbed him.

Had this animal turned on someone else, or had it grabbed ahold of me or my wife, there is NO FUCKING WAY you or anyone else would have been able to pull this dog off. Period. You would have had to kill the dog immediately in order to save what was left of someone.

The strength and power this dog possessed was unbelievable. The dog was difficult to control, even when led by it's owner. If it wanted to walk a certain direction, that's exactly what it did. If it wanted to stop and smell the roses, that's what it did.

The owner of this animal had two pits almost identical in size. Notice I said HAD. The smaller one died, and I bet you'll never guess how that happened. Why this dog wasn't put down after that incident, I'll never understand.

The person who owns this particular animal is exactly what you would expect. A middle-aged gang member who was "Somebody" back in the day, who still commanded some respect from those he encountered. He would dress a certain way, and act a certain way, and walk around the neighborhood with his two giant dogs, with their massive chain collars and chain leashes, scaring the shit out of everyone. He is a real piece of work. 🙄

I just thought I'd share a picture and a little history of this particular pit....since he's just a little over that 55-60 pound claim someone mentioned earlier.

Carry on.

Last edited:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

All true.
My point, and the reality, is that it doesn’t matter.
Right, wrong, or indifferent none of those arguments will relieve liability when a square headed dog fucks someone up.
The courts, and the insurance companies have heard it a thousand time, every year, a steady stream of “pit bull” attack cases.
They do not care about your breeder, the bloodline, or how long you’ve had them.
You say you have 2 pits now. (I also used to have pits)
Does your homeowner insurance carrier know?
They might not cover undeclared dangerous breeds. I’d definitely find out if I still owned one.
Your fight isn’t with me. I don’t hate pit bulls.
Judges typically hate them because they see it all the time, pit bull cases with owners trying to convince the judge that it isn’t a pit bull, or that he’s never done anything wrong. They just don’t care, they’ve heard it all before.
Insurance companies have entire separate policies and coverages (or not) just for pits.
Agree or not there are reasons for that. I’m not the reason. The numbers are the reason.

Last edited:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I'm going to respectfully disagree with the HMFIC here and argue his point of "They only grow to 60 pounds."

Well, you're wrong.

View attachment 1162531

This one is 108 pounds.

This is my wife next to a neighbor's dog. Yes, she is smiling in the picture, but she was scared.

I grabbed this dog after it got out that night, and secured it in a gated yard until the owner could get off his ass to come pick it up. The dog chewed through and ripped open a chain link fence to get out. My wife and I just happened to be walking up when I saw him on the sidewalk. Luckily for all, the dog knew her and I, and it was comfortable around us. It could have been catastrophic for anyone else had we not grabbed him.

Had this animal turned on someone else, or had it grabbed ahold of me or my wife, there is NO FUCKING WAY you or anyone else would have been able to pull this dog off. Period. You would have had to kill the dog immediately in order to save what was left of someone.

The strength and power this dog possessed was unbelievable. The dog was difficult to control, even when led by it's owner. If it wanted to walk a certain direction, that's exactly what it did. If it wanted to stop and smell the roses, that's what it did.

The owner of this animal had two pits almost identical in size. Notice I said HAD. The smaller one died, and I bet you'll never guess how that happened. Why this dog wasn't put down after that incident, I'll never understand.

The person who owns this particular animal is exactly what you would expect. A middle-aged gang member who was "Somebody" back in the day, who still commanded some respect from those he encountered. He would dress a certain way, and act a certain way, and walk around the neighborhood with his two giant dogs, with their massive chain collars and chain leashes, scaring the shit out of everyone. He is a real piece of work. 🙄

I just thought I'd share a picture and a little history of this particular pit....since he's just a little over that 55-60 pound claim someone mentioned earlier.

Carry on.

My friends dog Brutus was well over 100 pounds.
He had a head the size of Kansas. Cropped ears. He had a history. He did not like other dogs. He had a few fights under his belt, had killed a couple other dogs. Like you said, when Brutus made up his mind you simply could not hold him. My buddy was over 6’, kind of skinny but when I saw Brutus charge the screen door to get out my buddy threw himself on top of him
Brutus shook him off like a rag doll and went straight through the screen, ran about 30’ to the end of the driveway, jumped up and hit the German Shepard in the back of a moving pick up so fast they both flew out the other side onto the ground. Just like in you tube videos.
Brutus killed him in no time. The owner was screaming and hitting Brutus with his fists, my buddy was in a full blown wrestling match with the dog trying to drag him off.
He finally let go and went inside.
Cops came and took him away. There was no hearing, as a repeat offender Brutus got the shot that day.

Edit: btw, everyone involved that day called Brutus a pit bull. Not some terrier, or 4 word special breed…just pit bull.
The cops, Animal control, everyone.

Last edited:

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
With all dogs especially larger breeds. You want to make sure they know the owners are Alpha. Dominance is natural for a dog. You can't ever let them think they are above you in hierarchy.

I learned this with my first dog trainer. He had a golden retriever that learned it could dominate its elderly owners. He would take food from them and actually bit one of them before they seeked professional help.
Brother in law had a Chow. I used to “play” with him but he would get progressively more aggressive. Biting my arm lunging etc. he got to when he would see me it was on. Mostly playful. Finally had to kick him then grab and pin his neck down until he submitted. Don’t go apha on me you mutt.

Nordie

Reaction score
All true.
My point, and the reality, is that it doesn’t matter.
Right, wrong, or indifferent none of those arguments will relieve liability when a square headed dog fucks someone up.
The courts, and the insurance companies have heard it a thousand time, every year, a steady stream of “pit bull” attack cases.
They do not care about your breeder, the bloodline, or how long you’ve had them.
You say you have 2 pits now. (I also used to have pits)
Does your homeowner insurance carrier know?
They might not cover undeclared dangerous breeds. I’d definitely find out if I still owned one.
Your fight isn’t with me. I don’t hate pit bulls.
Judges typically hate them because they see it all the time, pit bull cases with owners trying to convince the judge that it isn’t a pit bull, or that he’s never done anything wrong. They just don’t care, they’ve heard it all before.
Insurance companies have entire separate policies and coverages (or not) just for pits.
Agree or not there are reasons for that. I’m not the reason. The numbers are the reason.
Most people I know with "pits" get fancy with the wording to insurance companies "staffordshire terrier, or some type of terrier". If something were to happen I highly doubt most insurance companies are going to cover it.

Oddly enough I am covered with my 2 dobermans, what am I supposed to do call them min pins or something? I know a lot of people that lie about what real breed they have at home, to me that just sounds like a mistake.

I was talking to my wife the other night about this post and was listening to her input about dogs in general and pitbulls/terriers and their behavior. She had some great points. Maybe I'll have her make a post about it.

Bottom line she deals with dogs everyday, and she still doesn't trust a pit or any rendition of a block head.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Finger in the butt is the ticket... you first

Lol. I learned my lesson years ago about breaking up dog fights. Just let them go it's not worth the bite. Never reach in. If you have a longer object you can use but not your body.

When that pit growled at you. You should of choked him out or pinned him down until he submitted. Let him know your alpha.
[/QUOTE]
Yes I agree looking back on it .... at that moment I was both shocked and scared.... so quick and unexpected. I pulled back and I'll never forget looking at him as he wagged that tail and looked at me like we were playing or some shit. I've seen his owner mess with him and it is playtime for them but I disagree with the act of allowing a pitbull to show any aggression regardless if playing or not. Maybe folks that choose this type breed like that aspect of it. I like his wife and she's over a lot but I think she enjoys the safety she feels in having this mutt. If ya get my drift. She'll tell ya how sensitive and perseptive and gently the breed is etc etc etc.... yeah till it aint, right.
As for dog fights... I got bit pretty good at Costa Mesa bark park maybe 10 years back and haven't trusted dogs the same since. I had two danes and one was a fighter. he wouyldn't initiate but he loved to brawl. malamute came in swinging big balls and sure enough they found each other and lit it up.... by time I got there my 190 lb angry fucker had him down by neck and wasn't pulling off as folks spryed water bolttles and kicked his ass. I was up over the business end punching him with both fist trying to get an eye. His head was massive and he wasn't giving up. Fuinally I got his collar yanking him off and thats when the Malamute got my calf.
You weren’t going to tell because you wanted the dog to keep coming over?
Basically yes. I like the dog.... but like I said I don't mess with him when he's resting across the room from me. I've been around him for 2 years now and think I know him well. He's very affectionate.... but if I ever hear that growl again its on me to give him room. I'm needy I guess.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Mr Wilson was on death row, but found his way into my life. He has met well over an estimated 50,000 small kids at all the Outdoor Sportsman show booths for my target biz over the years. Not one child bitten. His ears have been yanked, his tongue has been pulled, his tail has been brutalized. His eyeballs have been poked. The kids come back looking for him the next year and he has become an actual attraction. I have had standard poodles, Golden retrievers, a Border Collie, and a German shephard. One must understand that most of the dogs involved in any of these attacks has had inbread fighting lineage. Not all, but most. The other is how many dogs are identified as a pitbull being a farce, in itself.

endobear

Reaction score
Terrible situation for this family.

I don't care what the breed is, if you don't have the physical strength, balls and know how to get your large dog under control and establish dominance over them you shouldn't have one. Get a smaller dog .
I've owned 6 rotties and helped raise 4 others over the last 28 years. Ranging from 66lbs to 148lbs.

Some Rottweilers/dogs do hold grudges though.
One of my girls now hates my neighbor and his Rottweiler with a passion.
While out on a walk we stopped and chatted. My dogs on leash, his was not.
As we finished our conversation and I turned to leave his female grabbed my older small male. Neighbor wouldn't or couldn't do shit. They all three got into it. Mine were 66lb & 77lbs. His is about 110 lbs +.
I got my 2 under control immediately but his just kept coming after mine. I told him I was going to turn mine loose if he didn't get his dog under control and he did nothing. Instead of taking the chance of my dogs getting hurt anymore or getting In trouble I beat that fucker until she finally took off. Dude never even said a word to his dog or tried to grab it.
Every since that day my oldest female has wanted to rip them both apart. He's a real asshole and I'd like to beat his ass myself. My dog knows it and feeds off my hatred. She is beyond excellent with all other people and dogs.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Interesting being a spectator reading this with me having no opinion either way. In my life I have found there are only 2 conclusions when it comes to Pits, people that defend them with a religious type of belief and the other side that opposes them with a religious type of accusation. having met many owners and their pits, I have never felt uneasy around them. now snakes is a whole different story with me......

Truth

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
@RiverDave this story goes on and on each year - must be 15 or so by now. “Winter is coming” comes to mind with this breed. Yet, you always stand by them? Why?

You’re a gambler, and, self-admitted good at it. Why play the odds with a pit?

My cousin had Mia, a beautiful pit. Watched and kept his son warm and welcome since he was born. Great dog.

First dog as a kid was a German Sheppard. Loved kids didn’t trust large men. Also, the same breed that latched onto my ass in high school when a door was opened and he wasn’t expecting me to be there. 4 canines in the cheek. Funny when my parents developed pictures to find those of my butt!

As a gambler, think of playing the odds. I wouldn’t bet on a perfect Pit throughout its life.

Like I said earlier l.. spend five minutes and go learn about it..

Things are rarely as they seem.. anybody in the industry will pretty much tell you or anyone else the same thing. Dogs are dogs.

As a betting man if I was gonna bet on what is going to bite someone pits would be a pretty safe bet on the against line. Makes for great headlines though

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
There is no debate.

Interesting…. But what happens when they identify literally everything as a white four door sedan? Regardless if it’s a ford ranger.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Interesting…. But what happens when they identify literally everything as a white four door sedan? Regardless if it’s a ford ranger.

Depends, what’s the context of the inclusion?
Most wrecks? Most stolen? Most heavily financed? Most repo’d?
Maybe the inclusion would actually save you money?
But it’s up to them, they are the ones that pay out claims, and they follow the numbers or they are out of business.
If they say square head dogs are pit bulls, then that’s what they are for their purposes.
Same with the courts. They literally hear these arguments almost every day somewhere or another in this country. (Texas and CA primarily though)

But the facts are that, as is easily researched, dog bites account 1/3 of all homeowners liability claims on average annually. Over half a billion dollars a year more or less. That isn’t me making shit up.
Dog attack deaths are overwhelmingly caused by “pit bulls”, second place is pit bull variations, then typically rotties. I say “typically” because that number is so small compared to pits that it can vary simply with one or two German Shepard attacks.

Like I’ve said repeatedly, I’m not a breed hater.
Just don’t pretend you weren’t warned if your pit (not you specifically, you have a different big dog) goes off and you find yourself liable out of pocket because your carrier refuses to pay, and drops you for not declaring your dangerous breed dog, and the judge in civil court pins you to the mat because you’re the 5th pit bull case he’s heard this year and is tired of the rhetorical arguments defending these dogs. Doesn’t matter what XYZ Terrier you claim it is. He does not care and neither does AAA.
That’s the reality. Right wrong or indifferent.
Me, I have no dog in this fight, I removed myself from the possibility of assuming crushing liability over a dog many years ago. And Yes, it did impact me seeing the dead baby, no doubt about it.
I do not understand why anyone would risk everything to prove a point about a dog. Lives included.
But hey, they have every right to do so, at least so far.

clarence

Reaction score
I like the dog.... but like I said I don't mess with him when he's resting across the room from me. I've been around him for 2 years now and think I know him well. He's very affectionate.... but if I ever hear that growl again its on me to give him room. I'm needy I guess.

WTF?

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Like I said earlier l.. spend five minutes and go learn about it..

Things are rarely as they seem.. anybody in the industry will pretty much tell you or anyone else the same thing. Dogs are dogs.

As a betting man if I was gonna bet on what is going to bite someone pits would be a pretty safe bet on the against line. Makes for great headlines though

Spend 10 minutes and dig a little deeper.

Headline: “chihuahua bites 2 kids, 10 staples required”

Headline: “pit bull bites 2 kids, next of kin announces funeral services, mother in critical condition”

I wouldn’t classify that as a great headline.

havasuhusker

Reaction score
When I was little, we had a small dog - don't know the breed (poodle type). Anyway, this dog was the 1st reincarnation of the devil, the 2nd being my grammy's cat. Anyway, I remember sticking my arm under the couch, probably to get a toy and the dog bit me. I still have a little scar on my hand. After that, I never saw the dog again. I'm not sure what my dad to or with it - I hope he buried it in the backyard.

ramos45

Reaction score
What are we all trying to conclude here...... who's asshole is the prettiest? Sounds like it considering everyone expressing their opinion as if it's gospel. We've all had our experiences that lead to our opinions. Can't argue with the stats given that this breed of dog is usually had by ignorant folk. Blows my mind just how easy some of you resort to libtard tactics when in disagreement. I can/ will only speak for my rescues. I've learned what the triggers are and make sure to not let it go there....yes, my one has a trigger and I choose to keep her. To some of you I'm wrong or a dumb fuk for keeping her and that's fine cause it's your opinion, it means nothing, well, means enough to post on the topic

River Runnin

Reaction score
What are we all trying to conclude here...... who's asshole is the prettiest? Sounds like it considering everyone expressing their opinion as if it's gospel. We've all had our experiences that lead to our opinions.
And someday we will all agree on one thing! -- These are fooking animals, can be unpredictable at ANY time, Can turn at ANY point in time, And none of them are all sugar and spice and everything nice! -- Even though some let their dogs control their lives!

So! Go Ahead! -- Make My Day!

MakeMyDay 1.jpg

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
Here is my 10LB Devil (Brutus), He is pure asshole but we love him, when he bites people it does not leave a mark since his teeth are so jacked up, everyone laughs when he tries to bite. The 80LB lab Dixie is the sweetest lab and is tormented daily from Brutus. Devil dogs come in all shapes and sizes
Brutus.jpg

Duramax

Reaction score
Grew up with a 150lb Rottweiler. He woulda given his life for our family. Current German Shepard is the same.

🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️
Man, we have had two Rotts. Our current male, Rufus, is like you said. Would die protecting my kids. They ride him, hang on him, paint his nails, and he sleeps under them every night.

Bums me out to see them so high on the list.

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score
Depends, what’s the context of the inclusion?
Most wrecks? Most stolen? Most heavily financed? Most repo’d?
Maybe the inclusion would actually save you money?
But it’s up to them, they are the ones that pay out claims, and they follow the numbers or they are out of business.
If they say square head dogs are pit bulls, then that’s what they are for their purposes.
Same with the courts. They literally hear these arguments almost every day somewhere or another in this country. (Texas and CA primarily though)

But the facts are that, as is easily researched, dog bites account 1/3 of all homeowners liability claims on average annually. Over half a billion dollars a year more or less. That isn’t me making shit up.
Dog attack deaths are overwhelmingly caused by “pit bulls”, second place is pit bull variations, then typically rotties. I say “typically” because that number is so small compared to pits that it can vary simply with one or two German Shepard attacks.

Like I’ve said repeatedly, I’m not a breed hater.
Just don’t pretend you weren’t warned if your pit (not you specifically, you have a different big dog) goes off and you find yourself liable out of pocket because your carrier refuses to pay, and drops you for not declaring your dangerous breed dog, and the judge in civil court pins you to the mat because you’re the 5th pit bull case he’s heard this year and is tired of the rhetorical arguments defending these dogs. Doesn’t matter what XYZ Terrier you claim it is. He does not care and neither does AAA.
That’s the reality. Right wrong or indifferent.
Me, I have no dog in this fight, I removed myself from the possibility of assuming crushing liability over a dog many years ago. And Yes, it did impact me seeing the dead baby, no doubt about it.
I do not understand why anyone would risk everything to prove a point about a dog. Lives included.
But hey, they have every right to do so, at least so far.
You sure know how to take the wind out of a guy's sails, lol. I've been working on a business plan of raising wolverines, hyenas, and mambas for service animals. I've tried different training methods and even switched breeders, never thought about the insurance angle.

I suppose I better clarify that the above is sarcasm.

It couldn't be any more clear: you could have a well trained, true to the breed, soft hearted, angel eyed, non chained, pampered, eighth cousin to a pitbull dog. If the insurance company says it is not covered because they think pitbull, you invited unnecessary trouble and liability.

Last edited:

Duramax

Reaction score
I almost drew down on a Pit Bull walking towards myself and family a few weeks ago. Hair on his back was standing up, dog was doing the slow stroll, and had the biggest pair of balls I have ever seen on a dog. I told my girls to stay behind me and this dog was about 5 seconds away from getting shot. Owner came running over and dog scuttled away. Ass puckering moment for me and I proceeded to go home and change my shorts with all my girls crying.

But it is another reason of the 100 that you need to be carrying at all times.
Always..

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
The story (OP) is "When their not" , This is an example from yesterday that started to make me change my mind .... untill I read that story ,Two weeks back Josh and I "rescued" this guy (Animal control picked him up and took him home) Yesterday He wandered in to hang out again , docile friendly good natured

Attachments

• IMG-6465.jpg
    IMG-6465.jpg
    643.3 KB · Views: 52

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
You sure know how to take the wind out of a guy's sails, lol. I've been working on a business plan of raising wolverines, hyenas, and mambas for service animals. I've tried different training methods and even switched breeders, never thought about the insurance angle.

I suppose I better clarify that the above is sarcasm.

It couldn't be any more clear: you could have a well trained, true to the breed, soft hearted, angel eyed, non chained, pampered, eighth cousin to a pitbull dog. If the insurance company says it is not covered because they think pitbull, you invited unnecessary trouble and liability.

Awesome!
Uhhh….

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
When I was little, we had a small dog - don't know the breed (poodle type). Anyway, this dog was the 1st reincarnation of the devil, the 2nd being my grammy's cat. Anyway, I remember sticking my arm under the couch, probably to get a toy and the dog bit me. I still have a little scar on my hand. After that, I never saw the dog again. I'm not sure what my dad to or with it - I hope he buried it in the backyard.

I bet it was a schnauzer.. those things are the devil!!

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Dog is DOG.

Not person. Unable to rationalize. Dog is ANIMAL. Runs on instinct. Can be trained, but result is only as good as Master/Alpha puts into it.

People humanize animals all the time, and are surprised when animal follows instinct when IT FEELS threatened/scared/challenged. Even well trained animals can be spooked or pushed into aggressive fight behavior.

People do stupid shit like "play" with a dog/cat -any animal really- aggressively, do you want to mark yourself as a chewy toy? When it growls you show fear and back away? Guess what...you are a Beta now.

Dog is boss now.

Dumb fuck.

You know why sheep dogs don't eat or attack their herds? Because they get the utter shit kicked out of them until they learn their JOB is to PROTECT the SHEEP. They see what happens to other things that attack their herds...boom boom things dead....dog is not idiot (mostly).

Train your dogs. Don't be a beta bitch.....and for god's sake if you are going to trust an infant to a dog, it better know it's dead if anything happens to that kid...that's it's primary job.

Now that I've pissed on this dumpster fire of a post, my sincere condolences to the family of the attack, so sad.