WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Things are brewing for 2018....early April Havasu shootout?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Looks like Swoop is trying to get a jump on Desert Storm for 2018. They are advertising an early April shootout , ran out of Thompson Bay, on a 3/4 mile course.

IMG_7136.jpg

Singleton

Reaction score
They were willing to purchase the rights to DS. Jim decided not to sell and give it to his son and now Swoop is going to bring on some competition.

Between the October event and now this, the DS organization better get moving or they will be in serious trouble. Gut says no Shootout at DS anymore

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
They were willing to purchase the rights to DS. Jim decided not to sell and give it to his son and now Swoop is going to bring on some competition.

Between the October event and now this, the DS organization better get moving or they will be in serious trouble. Gut says no Shootout at DS anymore

I'm not sure the shot at Jim and DS was necessary with the "Professionally Run" comment?

l84theriv

Reaction score
I think we can all see whats trying to happen with this and rock the dock deal. It is directly aimed to fuck with Jim and what he started many years ago. Yes it has fallin off in the last few years. BUT I do think there was a better way to address it. Just my .02

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I think we can all see whats trying to happen with this and rock the dock deal. It is directly aimed to fuck with Jim and what he started many years ago. Yes it has fallin off in the last few years. BUT I do think there was a better way to address it. Just my .02

What are you basing your "fallen off" comment on??

It's always been one of my favorite river trips, and pretty much always will be. :thumbsup

l84theriv

Reaction score
What are you basing your "fallen off" comment on??

It's always been one of my favorite river trips, and pretty much always will be. :thumbsup

It came from a participant stand point as far as organization at the driver meeting and the parade through the channel. I absolutely love every other aspect of the event. Sorry my comment came off wrong to you. I will always continue to support the Nichols family. Like I said its just my .02 rivermobster

Tank

Reaction score
I think they're going to get a HUGE fruckin dose of reality really quick. There's reasons why the shoot-out has been at times troublmatic and it all comes down to finicky weather, not a lack of organized, professional oversight. Sorry you're pissed off you can't show off your boats speed because of the water conditions during DS. Good luck running your own. Reminds me of people that think running a boat business is all glamorous and will make them rich. Think again.

l84theriv

Reaction score
I think they're going to get a HUGE fruckin dose of reality really quick. There's reasons why the shoot-out has been at times troublmatic and it all comes down to finicky weather, not a lack of organized, professional oversight. Sorry you're pissed off you can't show off your boats speed because of the water conditions during DS. Good luck running your own. Reminds me of people that think running a boat business is all glamorous and will make them rich. Think again.

Thank you Tank.

Tank

Reaction score
Thank you Tank.

I got an idea. If they want to show off their speed and how bad ass their boat is...go race professionally as a husband wife team. :thumbsup:thumbsup

sorry but I think it's pretty tacky to put on similar events that directly conflict with pre-existing, events. It's not only in poor taste but its bad for everyone (including participants).

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
It came from a participant stand point as far as organization at the driver meeting and the parade through the channel. I absolutely love every other aspect of the event. Sorry my comment came off wrong to you. I will always continue to support the Nichols family. Like I said its just my .02 rivermobster

Thanks. Since I've never been in your shoes, I have no clue what goes on as a participant at those two events.

It didn't come off as wrong, I just wondered what your perspective was based on!

Im just a spectator every year. Your view is different than mine. [emoji106]

l84theriv

Reaction score
I got an idea. If they want to show off their speed and how bad ass their boat is...go race professionally as a husband wife team. :thumbsup:thumbsup

sorry but I think it's pretty tacky to put on similar events that directly conflict with pre-existing, events. It's not only in poor taste but its bad for everyone (including participants).

Thats my whole point. They got but hurt that Jim didnt sell them the rights to DS. RD made they same offer and you dont see him on public media doing this same shit.

l84theriv

Reaction score
Thanks. Since I've never been in your shoes, I have no clue what goes on as a participant at those two events.

It didn't come off as wrong, I just wondered what your perspective was based on!

Im just a spectator every year. Your view is different than mine. [emoji106]

And my boat only see's 75 on a good day. So I cant talk for the guys spending 1000's on the shootout. I just love the event for what it is or was a poker run.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Thats my whole point. They got but hurt that Jim didnt sell them the rights to DS. RD made they same offer and you dont see him on public media doing this same shit.

I would be a little particular about who I let sell swag at the desert storm street show going forward if it was me....lol

When it comes down to it big bank eats little bank so we shall see what happens.

l84theriv

Reaction score
I would be a little particular about who I let sell swag at the desert storm street show going forward if it was me....lol

When it comes down to it big bank eats little bank so we shall see what happens.

I know you are right in this new world. The new clan has unlimited funds. What happened to old school and supporting the small guy that started it all. And helping them aka Lakeracer

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
The river whips deal got very big very fast... I suspect it will die off the same way. Not sure I understand SWOOP's interest in them..

I think it's a mutual marketing opportunity. Swoop gives river whips a big league presence / bad ass boat in their booth / possible funding for events. River whips gives swoop a captive FB audience of 16000+ enthusiasts, and pushes their presence / posts / events to that audience.

cicchetti_24

Reaction score
The river whips deal got very big very fast... I suspect it will die off the same way. Not sure I understand SWOOP's interest in them..

I think the interest is that RW has 18k followers so they are using the platform.

l84theriv

Reaction score
Those two companies are making it very obvious as to what they are up too. And they sit there and claim to come together fb page to get away from the forum bullshit???!!!. Please I just deleted them off my Facebook. It's a fucking joke. I will stay here and deal with all of you. Lol

Tank

Reaction score
Competition is good for the consumer.

If there was something to consume....This exact same thing is what completely FUCKED offshore racing. Fractioning off because of huge egos and pissing contests. "I don't like how you do it and I can do it better" mentality. But like I said, wake up call will arrive.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score

I would guess it's a numbers thing. 16k active members. Makes for a good turnout

jayboat

naplesimage.com
Reaction score
If there was something to consume....This exact same thing is what completely FUCKED offshore racing. Fractioning off because of huge egos and pissing contests. "I don't like how you do it and I can do it better" mentality. But like I said, wake up call will arrive.
Just like kaarma, reality is a stone cold bitch.

riverroyal

Reaction score
I know you are right in this new world. The new clan has unlimited funds. What happened to old school and supporting the small guy that started it all. And helping them aka Lakeracer

old school is old, new school is refreshing. That's why old school stuff dies. Pick any thing in life, new typically wins. Its the current generation. Same ones that need a new cell phone every 2 years, or a bigger faster boat every 2.

Poker run has jumped the shark. Speed run will be the next event for the new school

c_land

Reaction score

The quality of the posts on that site make me think most of the members are people who don't understand how to use a forum or a computer. Lots of posts from phones and AND LOTS OF POSTS IN ALL CAPS

Reactions: TBI

28Eliminator

Reaction score
I think it's a mutual marketing opportunity. Swoop gives river whips a big league presence / bad ass boat in their booth / possible funding for events. River whips gives swoop a captive FB audience of 16000+ enthusiasts, and pushes their presence / posts / events to that audience.

I think the interest is that RW has 18k followers so they are using the platform.

Oh absolutely. I just think there's less than 10% of their followers that have a serious interest in any kind of active participation. I see the same people posting most of the stuff on there.

They have a lot of momentum going for sure, but I'll bet (like most FB pages), the majority of the users are using it as traction for scrolling.. lol. We'll see I guess [emoji848]

riverroyal

Reaction score
The quality of the posts on that site make me think most of the members are people who don't understand how to use a forum or a computer. Lots of posts from phones and AND LOTS OF POSTS IN ALL CAPS

everyone loves to YELL here. Also...use....lots .....of these.....>... 2FF was a legend at .......

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Oh absolutely. I just think there's less than 10% of their followers that have a serious interest in any kind of active participation. I see the same people posting most of the stuff on there.

They have a lot of momentum going for sure, but I'll bet (like most FB pages), the majority of the users are using it as traction for scrolling.. lol. We'll see I guess [emoji848]

In all honesty there is way more boating content there than here. Lately it's been dead here. All day long there's new stuff posted on there. Also I don't think swoop is in for a rude awakening. They've put big events on before right? The Powell thing? They are involved in the dcb regatta. I think it goes both ways. Sounds like there's some people here that might be in for a rude awakening 😬

hallett21

Reaction score
Surprised by the negative response to this. Maybe a loyalty to Jim and other Desert Storm promoters?

Swoop may fall on their face. Or they may give people a better event. I think we need to let them get off the blocks first.

Clearly they can fund an event. I wish them luck. [emoji1303]

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Surprised by the negative response to this. Maybe a loyalty to Jim and other Desert Storm promoters?

Swoop may fall on their face. Or they may give people a better event. I think we need to let them get off the blocks first.

Maybe a loyalty thing. I have no idea who Jim is and never went to a desert storm. From someone on the outside looking in it seems tons of people offered advice and ideas and they weren't really addressed. There were some upset crews that ot in a lot of time and money and were kind of told oh well. Everyone kind of said the shootout was extra and not the main focus. Well I think others felt differently. I saw this coming to be honest.

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score

I think people don't like change or the new guy in town coming in and shaking things up and that's a natural reaction at first.

Like someone said though, competition is a good thing and maybe this will light a fire under the new management that will be running Desert Storm 2018 and they will respond by putting together on one of the best Desert Storms ever.

We shall see....

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

True statement
18k members.....how many local boaters?

YZFRider

Reaction score
The more events the better. It was not to long ago people were bad mouthing DS. So much so that Jim had to come on here to defend himself. There is always going to be competition and when you start leaving a bad impression people will jump on it. The swoop team will put on a great event and RW is a site that does everything possible to promote boating in a positive way. Seems like they are creating a relationship that will benefit the entire boating community.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
True statement
18k members.....how many local boaters?

Well just scroll through the page and see how many posts are about being in havasu last weekend. I'm being honest. I think there's more boaters there than here. And all the ones from here are also there 😊

530RL

Reaction score
There must be a hell of a lot of profit in putting on an event like this. The logistical work is enormous.

Can't believe there is, but sounds like a great way to make a small fortune out of a big one?

hallett21

Reaction score
Playing devils advocate here.

So Indy, Offshore, and a few other races have been mentioned. All of which at one point or another broke away from other racing due to disagreements, egos, etc.

Did the people who broke away "kill" the event or was it the current sanction that was putting on the event?

There's two sides to the coin either you're a dick for leaving or a dick for not listening.

Once again Desert Storm is an awesome event and as a spectator I think they put on one hell of a show. I don't wish either DS or Swoop's venture ill will.

I am a fan of two organizations trying to out do each other [emoji1303]