WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Things to do/see off the I-40 or I-70

STV_Keith

Reaction score
It's way early, but I'm already planning a trip to LOTO in 2022. We will take the 93 out of Vegas, then hit I-40 and go East to Oklahoma City, then up the I-44 to LOTO. Our return trip will be to take the I-70 through Denver back to the I-15, and then back into Vegas. I figure if we go 500 miles, then camp for the night, see some sights the next day around that spot, then pack up and leave the following day, that will give us a full day at 2 spots on each route to check out America!

Any suggestions for things along these routes, or worthy detours?

evantwheeler

Reaction score
It's way early, but I'm already planning a trip to LOTO in 2022. We will take the 93 out of Vegas, then hit I-40 and go East to Oklahoma City, then up the I-44 to LOTO. Our return trip will be to take the I-70 through Denver back to the I-15, and then back into Vegas. I figure if we go 500 miles, then camp for the night, see some sights the next day around that spot, then pack up and leave the following day, that will give us a full day at 2 spots on each route to check out America!

Any suggestions for things along these routes, or worthy detours?

Some of the most beautiful scenery I've seen in the US (I have not been to Glacier National Park or the Grand Canyon in person) is just west of Green River UT on the 70. There is some beautiful desert country out there. Amazing terrain. Reminds me of Moab, but looks to be much more expansive. Would be worth it to stop and explore around there. I would like to do a week up in that area of UT someday exploring in my landcruiser.

Reactions: t&y

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Hanging lakes in Co are pretty cool, most of that drive is along the 70 is absolutely breath taking.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Buffalo Bills grave is along that route in CO
A couple of gold mines you can tour, or at least used to?🤷‍♂️

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
once you leave CO on 70 take the 191 south. cut through moab, monument valley, etc and end up on the 40 again. endless stuff to see on that route as opposed to the 15 which isn't all that.

This is GREAT advice!!!

I live @ LOTO full-time. Let me know what I can do to help u plan your vacation. Be careful, you may end up deciding Kommiefornia is a great place to leave in your rear view mirror.....

TrollerDave

Reaction score
Notice nobody has said anything about what to do of the 40?
Made the trek twice about 25 years ago. Assuming not much has changed, there’s a metric shit-ton of nothing out that way. 😁

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
I would take the 70 both ways. Such a great drive. Or 40 East to 191 North, then 70 East. Take 70 back to Vegas. I swear in summer of 2017, the 70 was nearly void of traffic from 15 in UT to just west of Denver, then again east of Denver. Super nice.

not much east of Flagstaff on 40. Winslow Crater, Painted Desert (?), and Cadillacs in field at Amarillo, TX. Well, unless you explore sections of old Route 66.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
once you leave CO on 70 take the 191 south. cut through moab, monument valley, etc and end up on the 40 again. endless stuff to see on that route as opposed to the 15 which isn't all that.
Worth every bit of it!!

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
If you're planning on coming through Grand Junction make SURE you drive through Colorado National Monument. It's a short drive but it's unreal how beautiful it is. We got there about an hour and a half before sunset and had the place to ourselves. Came around a corner at about 5mph and there were 5 bighorns standing in the road. You don't get to see them that close in Steamboat cove. Just got back maybe two weeks ago.