WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Thinking about driving boat from havi to needles

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
In an hour or two.. I have never made the run before and have only driven through the mouth of the river once.

So is this easily do able? Or really shallow? What Do I look out for? Where do I find out if the river is up or down? Etc..

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Trim it high and let it fly. We used to take gordo's Deckboat up there all the time. and I have had both stokers up there a couple times.

One word of advice....do not slow down and come off plane no matter how shallow it gets.

kevnmcd

Reaction score
The only shallow place in that run is at the mouth which is all sand. Just watch the depth and as RB said...trim it up and let it fly. As long as you stay downstream of Needles bridge you should have any issues. Good luck.

SydneyRaysDad

Average Member
Reaction score
One word of advice....do not slow down and come off plane no matter how shallow it gets.

That's the same thing I've always heard. I've only been up river a few times and I was able to follow guys who knew where they were going.

Good luck!:D

WTMFA

Kill Em All
Reaction score
Call the davis dam recording (928) 754-3666
It will tell you how many units (generators) are online. The more units online the more water flowing down. I think the minimum to be safe is 4 but dont hold me to that.
Good luck virgin ;)

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Done it a handful of times with no issues.....couple trips to the Avi for some grub and new sights to see along the way.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
It's no big deal. Just go as slow as you possibly can on plane and follow the dark path. Everybody has their own personal preference on how to do it, personally I always go to the right along the Arizona side of the lake and then cut left and then right again at the mouth of the river. Others do the left side then turn right, in general, straight up the middle is the shallowest.

MedicalPlanQuotes.com / IPhone

wash11

Reaction score
If I didn't have so much to do I'd navigate for you. I could really use a beer in my hand on the boat right about now.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If I didn't have so much to do I'd navigate for you. I could really use a beer in my hand on the boat right about now.

Think you could finish up in an hour or two?

I still have to run to parker and do a couple things before I leave.

RD

scottietwohoty

Reaction score
I hear when it gets shallow, just pick up your feet and you will be A-OK. :D

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
It's no big deal. Just go as slow as you possibly can on plane and follow the dark path. Everybody has their own personal preference on how to do it, personally I always go to the right along the Arizona side of the lake and then cut left and then right again at the mouth of the river. Others do the left side then turn right, in general, straight up the middle is the shallowest.

MedicalPlanQuotes.com / IPhone

We used to go up Cali side in my buddys deck boat...it was always a stressful but we made it everytime.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Didn't they just dredge something that I can go through?

RD

River911

911 River Trip
Reaction score
We took our 24' V from Havi to Harrah's in Laughlin. Checked in, drove back to Havi and trailered it back to Harrah's.

Don't be scared :D

Pushnwood

Reaction score
We took our 24' V from Havi to Harrah's in Laughlin. Checked in, drove back to Havi and trailered it back to Harrah's.

Don't be scared :D

I have done this run twice. second time I took out two props & left the boat at the Avi:skull:eek: Needles to say "I'm scared" to do it again. Going to Needles from Havasu is a great run, we do it all the time:thumbsup

wash11

Reaction score
Think you could finish up in an hour or two?

I still have to run to parker and do a couple things before I leave.

RD

Would love to but I've been on a selling rampage trying to reduce the pile of shit to sell at momma's yard sale. Gotta deliver some goods this afternoon.

River911

911 River Trip
Reaction score
I have done this run twice. second time I took out two props & left the boat at the Avi:skull:eek: Needles to say "I'm scared" to do it again. Going to Needles from Havasu is a great run, we do it all the time:thumbsup

There is a section past the Avi that gets hairy. Put one of the kids on the bow and went real slow. No dings, no sand. Pretty cool run :thumbsup

Roaddogg 4040

Reaction score
Dave, just for your information the wind is blowing pretty good right now. Hope you have a warm jacket with you... Don't think that I would bring the boat and baby when it is blowing like it is today. YRMV ... I am in Needles right now. Hopefully tomorrow will be better for the show...

Steve

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Didn't they just dredge something that I can go through?

RD

The project was managed by the Indians. Enough said, last time I checked the dredged area was shallower than the river mouth route.

LomitaBob

Reaction score
does anyone else find it funny that RiverDave has a question about the River????? this is where the 10 footer would be handy

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Dave, just for your information the wind is blowing pretty good right now. Hope you have a warm jacket with you... Don't think that I would bring the boat and baby when it is blowing like it is today. YRMV ... I am in Needles right now. Hopefully tomorrow will be better for the show...

Steve

Stacy and baby will take truck and trailer.. :)

Performance Boat Candy

Reaction score
If you google the US Bureau of Reclamation under Lower Colorado River Ops you can find the info. Here's what I found from my iPhone:
Today between 10am-4pm (MST) Davis Dam is releasing 13,662 cfs (3 units) increasing to 18,662 cfs (4 units) from 4-9pm.

I used this site back in the day when I would launch at the cop shop in Bullhead below the bend, which is above the Avi. I didn't dump my boat in unless they we're pumping at least 3 units. The issue with using this is that Davis Dam is a long way from Havasu so I'm not sure how it translates to the water depth down river toward Havi.

PokerRun388

Reaction score
Dave, I texted my mom...She can see the mouth of the gorge from her house, she said its very windy, and alot of white caps...:thumbsdown

Maybe wait til tomrw...?....:grumble:

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Dave, I texted my mom...She can see the mouth of the gorge from her house, she said its very windy, and alot of white caps...:thumbsdown

Maybe wait til tomrw...?....:grumble:

He has a Schiada, those things are the baddest mofos on the white caps

Havasteve

Reaction score
Dave.
Go through the new dredged area that the Indians and the Marine Association completed. Give us a review. Keep in mind the lake is higher than normal.

The channel is on the Cali side and marked with red bouys. It's the shortest crossing.

I know what I see when I fly over. But, It would be nice to hear from someone who crossed it in a boat. I know the Marine Association was very proud of this project and was wondering if it was a success or a failure. Thanks

lebel409

Reaction score
We canoed that stretch the weekdays before Thanksgiving. although there are some sketchy spots, It's navagatable. There were some low areas north of needles, but 4-5' channels if you looked. Of course a Flattie or a bow rider would make it easier...

Havasteve

Reaction score
I just took a look at the mouth of the river from My sky deck. No white caps at all. Breezy but perfect for a Shiada.

Reaction score
does anyone else find it funny that RiverDave has a question about the River????? this is where the 10 footer would be handy

You would think..... a guy named RiverDave:skull

I've made it in my 21 daycruiser multiple times I/O drive. If your alert, and look far enough a head, 30mph is a good speed, and you'll have no trouble seeing the channel (darker water), and most of that is 8+ depth.

Follow another boat for the first time, and don't be scared:thumbsup

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
RD acting like he is going to Catalina and leaving at midnight in a dingy!!!!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
RD acting like he is going to Catalina and leaving at midnight in a dingy!!!!

I'm acting like I don't want to damage my boat or my outdrive.. I've never done it before, and 1/2 the people I talk to tell me the water is up.. The other half tell me the water is down! LOL

RD

Mini Kat

Hammer Makin' Payments
Reaction score
I'm acting like I don't want to damage my boat or my outdrive.. I've never done it before, and 1/2 the people I talk to tell me the water is up.. The other half tell me the water is down! LOL

RD

Go for it Dave the water is way up.

Attachments

• highndry_082710_2 bvowles.jpg
    highndry_082710_2 bvowles.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 396

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

RD

some say half full, some say half empty....:D

hplavey

AKA JFT
Reaction score
Hey Dave
you'll be fine. Just don't go past needles

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
two people I would trust to go to bull head..... rivrluvr and bullhead bully...:cool:

Mini Kat

Hammer Makin' Payments
Reaction score
Or you can take a SPOTTER if it makes you feel safer.:lmao:D

Attachments

• Dave's deck hand2.jpg
    Dave's deck hand2.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 495

rocket98

Reaction score
Hellllooo How much fuel does your K boat hold. Most important once you get their how are you going to be able to drive home. Lot's of bad influances there.....LOL I hope your weekend is off the hook.

PS Drive the boat. All the fun I have planned is gettig ready for Puddingstone....Which is fun in it's self

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score

RD

I'll tell ya dont drink the water!!:skull

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
two people I would trust to go to bull head..... rivrluvr and bullhead bully...:cool:

Funny you say this. I was doing this run with a buddy and he got scared and wanted to turn around saying it was to low.:blah::blah: Then all of a sudden Bullhead Bully goes flying by us at 100mph.:D I said if he can do this in his 32' DCB we are fine:champagne::champagne: and we were. That boat of his is BADASS.:thumbsup:thumbsup

miniboatfan

Reaction score
I'd much rather be worried about getting up the river to the show...I'm driving up tomorrow from Long Beach. I figure the cheap admission has got to be worth the 245 mile drive...Ha ha.

Maybe I will get to meet some of you guys. Have a safe trip RD.

Dave - Miniboatfan

Joker

Reaction score
Funny you say this. I was doing this run with a buddy and he got scared and wanted to turn around saying it was to low.:blah::blah: Then all of a sudden Bullhead Bully goes flying by us at 100mph.:D I said if he can do this in his 32' DCB we are fine:champagne::champagne: and we were. That boat of his is BADASS.:thumbsup:thumbsup

X2

Weekend Therapy

Reaction score

His boat is nice. I run from Bullhead down to PC all the time. Once you've done it a few times it's no big deal. One thing to remember is that they drop the water level at night at Davis and it doesn't reach full height until around 1pm. I can usually judge the depth pretty good just by looking at it and usually won't launch until after 11am.