WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Thinking about password protecting this forum..

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I know a lot of people are Leary about putting anything cool online because we all know google is looking at it and cataloging it etc.. and god knows who else

If I password the forum they won’t be able to index or record anything in here as it’s invisible to the bots that don’t have the password..

At that point ya can post whatever ya want / buy / sell whatever and it would be private to rdp or people that were invited to participate.

Thoughts?

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
I know a lot of people are Leary about putting anything cool online because we all know google is looking at it and cataloging it etc.. and god knows who else

If I password the forum they won’t be able to index or record anything in here as it’s invisible to the bots that don’t have the password..

At that point ya can post whatever ya want / buy / sell whatever and it would be private to rdp or people that were invited to participate.

Thoughts?

A members only section would be cool.. run it like a "cigar bar" members and member invite only!

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Totally see value in it Dave. I know that I held back some information not totally knowing who was watching what I am looking for. Hate to have others know of what I am looking for or have on our property. I like the idea. Maybe block the liberally members too. :looking:

eand28

Reaction score
I think it’s a good idea. Not sure if there’s a spam problem but I know some forums would benefit and certain sections here

renodaytona

Reaction score
Yeah I like the idea. I have lots of cool shit I’d post up but don’t like that it’s accessible to the world.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Let me talk to the IT guys on Thursday.. (they are working on a project already today which is why I’m up) and make sure we are 100% safe from invasion and after that it’s gonna be “members only”. Via you ain’t getting the password unless someone vouches for you.. and on that note we will change the password every so often.

Icky

Reaction score
so who do we get to vouch for us. Is there a secret handshake?

BONER

Reaction score

Thoughts?
Great idea. I dig it.

Brobee

Reaction score
As long as I get the password then absolutely, I don’t see a downside. It would be nice to see what everyone has and potentially has for sale. Let’s do it right after the wakeboard section is up and running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

copterzach

Reaction score
Who will vouche for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farmo83

Reaction score
I'm all for it. I'll stick to members only on my phone and not the work computer.

98special

Reaction score
I'm in!
I never would have thought I would need to keep my GOD given right to have a gun secret.
This sucks! :mad:

just_floatin

Reaction score
I like the idea of additional security and privacy. Two factor authentication is safer from hacks if you go this route.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Seems like a lot of work for nothing.

Are people really that scared to post gun topics for fear of Google?

just_floatin

Reaction score
Seems like a lot of work for nothing.

Are people really that scared to post gun topics for fear of Google?
Doxing is real and people are getting terminated for their hobbies, political viewpoints and random post. It is not that difficult to match the face with the username for the cancel culture techies. Thus, privacy is the major reason I do not have Facebook or participate in other popular public forums.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Doxing is real and people are getting terminated for their hobbies, political viewpoints and random post. It is not that difficult to match the face with the username for the cancel culture techies. Thus, privacy is the major reason I do not have Facebook or participate in other popular public forums.

I'd be more worried about what is posted in the political and COVID sections than I would be anything down here. Besides, a password won't stop much of anyone there days. And if doxing is your worry, just posting on RDP is enough to get most people in trouble in today's political climate... LOL...

You are also free not to post every last little detail about your life.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score

Thoughts?
I wouldn’t have a problem one way or the other, but wouldn’t it hamper efforts to increase “membership“?

I think of all the posts that start out “have been a lurker for a long time and finally joined”. If the lurkers can’t lurk wouldn’t that slow down membership/participation? I don’t know how it all works just thinking out loud. 🤷

sintax

Reaction score
it would certainly make it more attractive. I dont talk or post about this topic for that exact reason.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
It’s not a bad idea for bots and political hacks.
Not sure what has to be “secret” beyond that

Ca. DOJ firearms are so ass backwards , no concern there lol
I have stories for days

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I would think making the forums private (behind a login completely) could possibly increase membership because now curiosity comes into play (what's behind that login on them thar forums, arr?)

Hell, I'd even pay a small sub fee for private membership on this forum, keeps RDP funded and can be used for further improvements, or content. I've been a mod on a couple forums and we always had a subscription for them.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I want to be clear about something here because I think you guys completely misunderstood what I said.. LOL.

I'm not password protecting "RDP" as in all the forums.. LOL

I was thinking about password protecting "THE GUN FORUM" ONLY.. Meaning everyone can see there is a section here, but you would have to enter a password to access / read / post in it.

I would never Password protect all of rdp. 90% of the traffic I get is from lurkers!

RD

Fun Times

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe consider having two gun sub forms? One for a general talk while the other is more private talk, etc. Per se .

grumpy88

Reaction score
Im going to say no ! It sucks . I gave up on the last forum that went to a password . Never strong enough . Always changing . Its a forum not my bank account i dont need to try to come up with more passwords to protect how i feel about the river life

boatdoc55

Reaction score
I think pass wording the guns and ammo section makes sense as I have held back on several topics here for reasons listed. As Dave knows I don't hold back at all on the other parts of this site. These jerks on the other side have become a pain in the ass for real Americans and will stop at nothing to take us down one at a time if they must.

Password it is!!!!!!!!! As long as it is 100% locked from the other side.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Excellent idea Dave. If I owned guns I wouldn't post it here unless this forum had password protection. With the way things are these days it's probably best for all considered to have some privacy in regard to guns & ammo

ltbaney1

Reaction score
i like the idea of protecting this section with a password. i think you would see a uptick in traffic.

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
I think it's a great idea! I'm tired of google and there B.S. Anyone using duckduckgo as web browser?

WhatExit?

Reaction score
I think it's a great idea! I'm tired of google and there B.S. Anyone using duckduckgo as web browser?
Yes! We recently went to DuckDuckGo but you lose your favorites so you'll need to start over - well worth it to avoid GOOOGUL

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Hey RD, will you be pword protecting this forum? 👍 👍 👍

I know someone who will post more and pics if you do 😁

DLC

Reaction score
Does that mean all hooter pics have to have guns in the same pic...

asking for a friend

Reactions: DWC

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
One step closer to a boobie section.
I like it. Lol

Reactions: DWC