WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Thinking about running rdp masks..

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Short answer; Get a piece of paper and a pen or pencil. Every time you touch your face, rub you eye, etc... mark it down on the paper. Tally those numbers and then consider everyone of them is a possible transmittal of this virus. It is for you, not for everyone else.

I agree these masks are not the answer to this problem, but they WILL prevent transmission of the virus to you from touch. If you are truly staying home isolated from the outside world then you don't need them.

Another real simple way to think of them is as a condom for your face. You can make the references there is needed.

Agreed, that the biggest benefit for the majority is less face touching when wearing a mask.

Reactions: t&y

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I see most sides of this discussion and it is up to everyone to do what they think is best. I forgo a mask so people on the front line, like my friends and family, can have all that they need. The only side I don’t understand is bashing an idea that could help those that feel the need to have a mask that they need. If you don’t agree with it you don’t have to buy one.

As I said I don’t feel the need to wear a mask at this time with the “research” that I have done. It might not be correct but that is what works for me and I am good with that. I keep myself clean, limit what I touch when out of the house and social distancing. There are limited cases in our community at this time. As things ramp up my opinion could change. I have a few masks available that my mother has made For the family.

My wife on the other hand, just coming out of Chemo 2 weeks ago, is very concerned and fells better with a mask even though some of the things that she does could introduce the virus even with mask on. She does not take a methodical approach when wearing a mask and things that she does could allow the virus to enter the mask or she could be causing cross contamination. I have tried to explain the process of wearing the mask to her but she goes on her merry little way. Kind of like the people that who wear gloves and touch EVERYTHING then take the gloves off and touch the contaminated glove with their hand and don’t wash their hands. However my wife does it she is doing what she feels she needs to do and is good with that. I just watch her and keep her from touching things in public at this time.

Now we have the new upcoming shortage here in the islands. Yesterday there was the run on the fabric stores here in the islands. Now the next shortage will be elastic bands. Save your old underwear guys!!! This is the time that I am thankful for have becoming a fat old fuck and my waist has grown over the last decade. When I need to harvest the elastic from my underwear I should be able to yield one additional mask than I would have been able to 10 years ago. LOL

Those that are questioning Dave‘s intentions should look into things like 3M is deciding to allow they distributors to send most masks out of the USA. Talk about doing it for the $$$. That is for another thread. Dave is not making bank on this just offering something for those, Like my wife, that feel they have to have one to be save and might not be able to find masks or make them. It allows those with concerns to feel better at this difficult time. Kind of like those that need to get into the desert, water and stand up paddle boards.

I hope everyone stays safe and soon we can all get back to those things that we enjoy with friends and family!!!!

MSum661

Reaction score
Good post.

People worry about the microscopic size of the virus, and aren’t thinking about the water applets that actually carry the virus...virus molecules aren’t just floating around on their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yepp.
Pans down to the particulates of Snot and Spit.
Gotta stay waay back from the heavy breathers that discharge like a Bassett Header.....min. 20 feet min. You know what I'm sayin.
Also, stay WAAAY clear of the nasty Burper's. A rank nasty gassy Burp could be the most toxic of all they ways the virus could spread.
Not a proven fact....but I know all that shit is nasty.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
If you want to talk about science and numbers The mortality rate is WAY less than advertised. We have fewer dead at this point than ALL the modeling by factors of anywhere from 4x to 10x. We are down to a 1.9% mortality rate on only CONFIRMED cases. They don’t test anyone unless they have trouble breathing or have a doctor note and at least 25% don’t show symptoms ever. So the real mortality rate is vastly lower than 1.9%.
As of today they are predicting 40k to 178k dead. 93k is the average. 93k is less than 2 flu seasons.
2 months ago EVERYONE knew the situation was bad in China. Government just didn’t want to scare people and torpedo the economy. We can read license plates on cars in China. Anyone telling you the government didn’t see exactly what was happening is blowing smoke up your ass. This virus has been circulating in the US since the beginning of the year. In December- February we had 3 MILLION people come into the country from virus hotspots around the world.. 3 MILLION.
They started putting doomsday modeling together from virologists (that has now been proven vastly incorrect) and government freaked out when they saw the numbers and we are where we are.
They said don’t worry about masks until a day ago.
Science hasn’t changed in 2 months. Government has not gotten more honest with people in 2 months. Believing #CHINALIED is lying to yourself. When have we ever trusted what China says?
Wear a mask if you want but beware of what you are wearing.
Just wait until next week when CNN trots our all the sick mask wearers that don’t understand how they got sick for the next round of fear mongering.

Your negativity and constant anti-mask sentiments are redundant. Now you're denying the mortality rate while continuing to blame the government. Dave is trying to help people with MASKS.

Last edited:

hawgty55

Reaction score
Not intrested in this.
As i haven't read the whole thread and as i wouldn't be intrested for myself i would be interested in some type of purchase/donation deal for yalls local medical institutions.

charred1

Reaction score
Well, San Diego jumped on board as a recommendation when outdoors. However, San Diego’s director of health cautioned people, saying it may give you a false sense of security. Also stated that you should be aware that anytime you adjust you mask, which is more often than most realize, you are potentially contaminating yourself with germs from your hands.

Wear the mask if it makes you feel better! Don’t judge me for not wearing one. God save us all!

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Here's another reason why RD needs to sell masks

3vfdo0-jpg.70755

WhatExit?

Reaction score
FYI: Mask info and droplet sizing (and the link has info on best materials for masks including filter media inside them):

Linsey Marr, a Virginia Tech aerosol scientist and an expert in the transmission of viruses, said the certification method for respirators and HEPA filters focuses on 0.3 microns because particles around that size are the hardest to catch. While it seems counterintuitive, particles smaller than 0.1 microns are actually easier to catch because they have a lot of random motion that makes them bump into the filter fibers, she said.

“Even though coronavirus is around 0.1 microns, it floats around in a wide range of sizes, from around 0.2 to several hundred microns, because people shed the virus in respiratory fluid droplets that also contain lots of salts and proteins and other things,” said Dr. Marr.

“Even if the water in the droplets fully evaporates, there’s still a lot of salt and proteins and other gunk that stays behind as solid or gel-like material. I think 0.3 microns is still useful for guidance because the minimum filtration efficiency will be somewhere around this size, and it’s what NIOSH uses.”

renodaytona

Reaction score
They made wearing masks here at work mandatory today. They handed out some cloth ones and paper medial ones.

@RiverDave I’d be in for 5 so I can have a clean one each day and be able to clean them on Sunday for the week.

beerrun

Reaction score
My work just mandated mask. I can't find yours in the store. I need 2 please

Joker

Reaction score
Do these have a pouch for a filter? If so could i order and just pick them up from his shop?

Joker

Reaction score
I would like some so my wife can’t read my lips when I’m grumbling.
If you can make an eye mask that looks like I’m paying attention while I’m napping, that would be great too!

did you ever get that clock finished?

Hypnautic

Reaction score
did you ever get that clock finished?

Clock does work but haven’t been able to get glass fixed. Can’t decide if it should be polished up or not. Probably going too since some areas got cleaned up when repaired and a new ceiling mount was put on. Need to get that project back towards the top of the list.
Hope you and the family are safe and healthy!

DB / HAV

Reaction score
Can we pre-order? I’m a platinum member. Lol

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I’ll take one in gray one in black and one in gloss black. Or just three lmk lol

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
I would hate to be a cop right now... with the corona risk and now a masked population.. what could go wrong!

I am seeing a bunch of people wearing red, blue and black bandannas as masks. Certainly this will end well.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
... Wish I still had one of these
1586331479840.png
from the 60s when I drove the fuel car...Not sure if the replaceable filters would be finite enough for the corona???...
1586331479840.png

LHCBOY

Reaction score
They are being printed in HUNTINGTON beach as we speak. Should be done later this afternoon or tomorrow am. Then they will either be driven out here or shipped overnight

@RiverDave can not seem to find them in the store front

E4L

Reaction score
[emoji2375]I don’t see any [emoji40]

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I haven’t put them in until they are in my possession. They are being run tomorrow morning and I’m arranging for them to be here tomorrow night.

Joe mama

Reaction score
I'll take 4. Hope this doesn't end up like the toilet paper.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
I haven’t put them in until they are in my possession. They are being run tomorrow morning and I’m arranging for them to be here tomorrow night.
I’ll come get 2 as soon as you will let them out the door.

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
As LR2 said these masks aren’t so much about working close quarters with the infected and preventing getting it..

For general outdoor usage every little bit helps. I do know a lot of hospital staff are wearing similar items over their N95’s to prolong the life span of the N95 itself..

These particular ones are more to prevent spread and offer some protection from the elements.

I know in San Diego they are supposed to announce today that facial protection of some sort is required.
I was hopeful that it wouldn't come to this and safe distancing would prevail but I guess we are going to be forced to go down this road. I would rather give my jack to a site and group that has provided hours of entertainment, knowledge and loss of beauty sleep. Per my OCD I will take 8 all in light grey or silver to match the boat. Look for me wearing it while driving through the channel and spilling my beer unless you add a slit.

E4L

Reaction score
I need atleast 8 for work