WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Thinking about the "Sitting Here and Thinking" thread

shunter2005

Reaction score
I didn't want to jump that thread, but it reminded me of what I did last week. I'm getting up there in years, so my wife and I finally decided to take care of our afterlife arrangements. It is pretty depressing visiting a funeral home and making all your own arrangements. Nothing good ever happens there. Also, it's crazy how expensive it has become to die, nowadays. I promise you it's not going to get any less expensive in the future.

Good friend lost his brother two weeks ago. He told me that he did just a minimum funeral for him and it cost $22K for a final hoorah..... I have procrastinated for years about making my own arrangements, but I finally got the cajones to just go and get it done. I feel better now that no one else will be burdened with the headache, when I'm gone. One phone call is all that will be needed.

Surely, I can't be the only one who has procrastinated for so many years to do this.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
Omega Society

B. Direct Cremation with Cardboard Container....................................................................... $750

The services listed above under “Direct Cremation” will be provided for this price

Spread ashes where you will, I DGAF, I'm dead.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Omega Society

B. Direct Cremation with Cardboard Container....................................................................... $750

The services listed above under “Direct Cremation” will be provided for this price

This.

Gonna leave a few grand in an envelope for my kids to have a get together along with one of those prepaid cremation punch cards.

After my parents took care of their afterlife plans they gave me a sealed envelope, said the instructions are in it and said everything was taken care of, but that is all I know.. haven’t needed to open it.

Last edited:

Lumpy

Reaction score
Super easy depending on your faith and your families faith.

Honestly,
No one can speak for GOD

Cremate my earthly body and poor my ashes into all of my Dogs ashes...stir us and poor all of us at the
"HUT" just north of Paradise Cove Malibu where I grew up.

The vessel doesn't matter...its were your family can sit and think about their life and hear you whispering in your ear.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
My parents did the cremation body donor to science thing....

there are restrictions regarding disease and cause of death but otherwise simple...

Even if you're disqualified from the donation to science due to an illness or disease you're still eligible for the no fee cremation

On the down side very impersonal... but that's what they wanted

They're both resting off the coast now

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Super easy depending on your faith and your families faith.

Honestly,
No one can speak for GOD

Cremate my earthly body and poor my ashes into all of my Dogs ashes...stir us and poor all of us at the
"HUT" just north of Paradise Cove Malibu where I grew up.

The vessel doesn't matter...its were your family can sit and think about their life and hear you whispering in your ear.
Told my wife to toss my ashes off the bridge in Bullhead. Best memories so far of family have been from Davis to Havasu.

If timed right, may even be able to piss off some lake lice;)

hallett21

Reaction score
Cremated my dad and spread his ashes at the palm tree at devils elbow ( his favorite spot on the CO river), my uncle spread some on their favorite hunting spot in Rifle CO, not sure where we will lay him to finally rest.

But for me at 25 and my brother at 20 to deal with, I would just encourage every parent to get it handled. It’s pretty rough, and that includes family affairs if they are not set up ahead of time.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I have a pretty directed set of instructions even at a younger age, what is left of me and my dogs will be placed in "drilled" glass ball. I will be released off of a boat, not far off of the coast of Oahu near a buoy that many of my family and mentors rest in the vicinity of. My directions are very clear...I want to go home. Half of my mom and her late husband will be released in the same manor there when that time comes as well.

As echoed above...get your affairs in order...don't leave it to others to sort through

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I don’t want to be cremated with others. I’d like it to be just me. It’s a couple k. Put me in a box and when the better half goes do the same. Have a party for us. Take and spread some of us at our local lake. The rest were you as my kids have fond memories.
We still have urns in the house of my dad( ashes not spread yet as my mom is still alive) . MIL & FIL. Ashes have been spread but still have the urns as a little tribute
Might seem weird to some but it is what it is.

And with that said. The kids are probably worth more after I’m gone. 😱😜🤷. I mean hell they get to split the house the bank accounts. Not much debt to worry about. And don’t have deal with family get togethers anymore. 😱😱🙄

Last edited:

Ducksquasher

Reaction score
Omega Society

When I was arranging my Dad's funeral I asked the guy about the least expensive casket I could get because I wanted to be cremated when my time comes. He said "cardboard" and I thought he was joking. He said that he understood and respected others who wanted ornate and decorated caskets for their family members but it is more to burn and up and breakdown so cardboard is actually the cleanest and most efficient thing to be cremated in. Makes sense!

Jimmyv

Reaction score
Hard subject, but one folks should have with their loved ones.

When my dad died I never really thought a grave and headstone meant much, but it was what he wanted. I thought I would just be cremated and have my ashes vaguely spread somewhere I enjoyed.

10 years have passed and Dad now has grandkids he never got to meet. Being able to take them to visit granpas grave and tell them stories suddenly seems to mean a lot.

My wife’s instructed to cremate me in a cheap pine box and bury me with a headstone my family can visit. I also want a private barrel of Jack bottled and distributed to all my friends. Not to drink at my funeral, (though that should be a party as well) but to take and share so I may continue to be a part of their life’s future celebrations.

And Yeah, for different reasons I’ve thought a lot about this.

51C47D0F-023C-49AA-A2D7-246830FA0933.png

Last edited:

DLC

Reaction score
After dealing w/ my moms death in 2003, she was only 59, we bought The plot next door so we could all be together!

my trophy wife and my mom have the same 1st name and I’m a junior….. so I thought it would be funny to have the same headstone and just different birth dates…

but
now my wife is thinking about cremation …. So leave it up to a woman to mess up a great plan….

lol

I guess it depends who craps out 1st !!

we do have like 4 - dog ashes we would be buried with.

One thing for sure is to come up with some sort of game plan!
And
to have a list of bank accounts etc like Gun safe combo’s & WHERE all the crap goes! If you want to share something have it written down!

Family gets really WEIRD - Damm Greedy when it comes to free shit!

DLC

Reaction score
Hard subject, but one folks should have with their loved ones.

When my dad died I never really thought a grave and headstone meant much, but it’s what he wanted. I though I would just be cremated and have my ashes vaguely spread somewhere I enjoyed.

10 years have passed and now Dad has grandkids he never got to meet. Being able to take them to visit granpas grave and tell them stories suddenly seems to mean a lot.

My wife’s instructed to cremate me in a cheap pine box and bury me with a headstone my family can visit. I also want a private barrel of Jack bottled and distributed to all my friends. Not to drink at my funeral, (though that should be a party as well) but to take and share so I may continue to be a part of their life’s future celebrations.

And Yeah, for different reasons I’ve thought a lot about this.

View attachment 1193195

Some if the best conversations happen at my moms gave site! It really opens up your mind and your heart when visiting!

attitude

Reaction score
Tough subject. This is one thing that worries me in life. I am the only family my Dad still talks to, I have an older brother but they haven’t talked in 15 years. As far as I know all he has set up is a Will.
My mom and step dad on the other hand have everything set up through an Estate and the only thing we as kids will need to worry about is grieving.

Death isn’t something I haven’t planned out, I assume I will probably go the cremation route and be spread in a few of my favorite places. When I was younger I told my parents that if something were to happen to me they were to split my life insurance and buy one of my bucket list toys and to know I would be in the passenger seat whenever they drive it.
Now that I have a family of my own I carry 7 figures worth of life insurance, I figure it’s enough for them to only worry about losing a Husband and Dad and not a provider.

Last edited:

PlanB

Reaction score
My mom was recently diagnosed with dementia. Luckily I pushed her to get a trust and power of attorney over ten years ago in case something like this happened. She was also deemed incapable of making decisions for herself including financial. I am now completely in charge of her entire life. With the correct paperwork I was able to get control of her back accounts pretty easy. I can now make sure her finances are secure. I would recommend everyone having their will / trust / POA sorted out.

shunter2005

Reaction score
Well, I don't trust any of my immediate family to honor my wishes, we decided to have a place where we could at least look at water for all eternity.

It's not a lake or river, but at least we'll be around running water.

Final Resting Place (2).jpg

BabyRay

Reaction score
One thing for sure is to come up with some sort of game plan!
And
to have a list of bank accounts etc like Gun safe combo’s & WHERE all the crap goes! If you want to share something have it written down!
Being as I’m getting up there in age, and having seen the mess my wife’s parents left for her to straighten out, I finally put together a 3-ring binder for my family about two years ago. In the binder is everything they need to know after I’m gone, including contact information for everyone who can help them wrap things up; financial advisors, attorneys, accountants, bankers, insurance agents, etc. I was amazed at the amount of information that was needed, and it took some time, but I know they appreciated it. I suppose it’s time to review and update it.

As to my own burial preparations……Nope, can’t do that! Putting together The Death Book wasn’t so bad, but making burial preparations just seems too final. 😂

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I didn't want to jump that thread, but it reminded me of what I did last week. I'm getting up there in years, so my wife and I finally decided to take care of our afterlife arrangements. It is pretty depressing visiting a funeral home and making all your own arrangements. Nothing good ever happens there. Also, it's crazy how expensive it has become to die, nowadays. I promise you it's not going to get any less expensive in the future.

Good friend lost his brother two weeks ago. He told me that he did just a minimum funeral for him and it cost $22K for a final hoorah..... I have procrastinated for years about making my own arrangements, but I finally got the cajones to just go and get it done. I feel better now that no one else will be burdened with the headache, when I'm gone. One phone call is all that will be needed.

Surely, I can't be the only one who has procrastinated for so many years to do this.

My wife and I did this soon after me getting out of the hospital from my dealings with C19. Also, set up the final arrangements for my dad My dad had paid for his burial site along with my moms when she died in 2015. I prepaid for my dads grave site service, flowers, casket and death certificates.

RIP Mom and Dad.

C-2

Reaction score
We bought plots/opening/closing when my FIL died 25-years ago. But now we are leaning towards cremation. 🤷‍♂️

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Just cremate me and dump me in the river, probably i40 bridge. When both my parents had passed I combined the ashes and dumped them in the grand canyon per request and now my son will be getting married in the same location this year.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I actually attended a cremation a few months ago. I mean I was there, open the door, flames and in goes the box. Cardboard box is the norm. Takes a few hours. I then you can come back after a while, a few days if I remember, and collect the remains. Any residual ashes, of which there is very little, is accumulated And taken to Ocean. I am told this residual amount is almost immeasurable.

Mr. C. It’s not like that. One at a time. Friend had a big discussion with the Director about that. It was one of their fears. It’s not a concern. It doesn’t happen. There are faith based crematoriums that Adhere to religious needs.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
When my wife dies she wants to be put in a skyrocket and shot out over the ocean. No really, it’s a thing, there’s a company that does it.

Me, I’m thinking spread me at Parker, probably in front of foxes, where everyone makes passes. The other part would be Pizmo.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
When I dumped my Dad’s ashes at Parker Dam, I was actually quite surprised that the ashes didn’t float down river. I was able to see that the ashes just piled up, in approx 8’ of water.

I expected to see a cloud heading down river……. It didn’t.

That is my contribution to this thread. Lol

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Mr. C. It’s not like that. One at a time. Friend had a big discussion with the Director about that. It was one of their fears. It’s not a concern. It doesn’t happen. There are faith based crematoriums that Adhere to religious needs.
Not to argue but my father. FIL $ MIL were cremated and it was just them. I also came across this. Not sure if each state is different or not though. And not sure what state this comment reflects.

one body

Only one body can be cremated at once, and all cremated remains must be cleared from the cremation chamber before another cremation can begin. These standards do mean that you may have little input into any 'customization' of a cremation process.Oct 12, 2022

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Not to argue but my father. FIL $ MIL were cremated and it was just them. I also came across this. Not sure if each state is different or not though. And not sure what state this comment reflects.

one body

Only one body can be cremated at once, and all cremated remains must be cleared from the cremation chamber before another cremation can begin. These standards do mean that you may have little input into any 'customization' of a cremation process.Oct 12, 2022
I thought your concern was that there was a bulk cremation. Then everybody scooped up and divide it out.

Jimmyv

Reaction score
Side note, My god-fathers ashes were packed in and shot out of a dragsters parachute running at the California Speedway. Permission wasn’t had (probably couldn’t be had) and the puff of ashes was significant. Took the announcer and crowd by surprise. 😳

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Side note, My god-fathers ashes were packed in and shot out of a dragsters parachute running at the California Speedway. Permission wasn’t had (probably couldn’t be had) and the puff of ashes was significant. Took the announcer and crowd by surprise. 😳

Always better to ask for forgiveness than permission 👍👍

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
For the most pat we've handled things. Living will & trust is set up and daughter knows what to do. Better half's parents are together. Her mom went first and was entered into a mausoleum, her dad 8 months later (surprised he lasted that long. She was is everything) had him cremated and put into the casket with the wife. Betterhalf wants to be buried close to them so they can keep an eye on her. Both my parents have passed and been cremated, both sitting in my office until I can get to my brothers property in Washington and we'll spread them there. Me I'm simple, cremate me and spread my ashes in the lake, maybe sprinkle a little on the boat so I can continue to go on rides. Unfortunately everyday we get closer to that expiration date and nothing we can do about it. Live life today, tomorrow may never come.