WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

this cant be real......

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Curious, not that it's relative to 500BBC's question, but how are you correlating the 10% of the earth's surface covered to volume of water ?

Not earths surface, earths land mass.

6741B84B-157E-44A0-B6E1-C76605D4CCC2.jpeg

Taboma

Reaction score
100% of earths ice melted into the oceans is less than 3% of all total water on earth. Landlocked ice is less than that total.
I don’t know the math either. But it seems like a non catastrophic amount?
Nobody's asking for percentages or how much or what level, the question was friggin simple -- if ice melts outside of a body of water and flows into the body of water, will that body of water rise --- That was the question, NOT how much.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Nobody's asking for percentages or how much or what level, the question was friggin simple -- if ice melts outside of a body of water and flows into the body of water, will that body of water rise --- That was the question, NOT how much.

Yes, of course it does, never said it didn’t.
What I am saying is that according to every source I can find, ALL ice on earth, both on land and on water, only accounts for 2.5% of all water on earth.
So there is only so much ice/ water available to flow into the oceans.
If every piece of ice melted today it would increase the oceans volumes by less than 3%. Much less since MOST of that ice is already on water.
Im not arguing about rising oceans. If the insurance companies say Florida is sinking then it’s probably sinking and walls are getting taller.
C Ya lives there, I don’t. If he says he lost a foot of beach he probably has.
My contention is that melting ice is not the global event we keep hearing about.
It’s an insignificant volume UNLESS you live on the beach or tidal zone.

Taboma

Reaction score
definition of land mass.JPG

How does land mass equate to volume ?

Taboma

Reaction score
Yes, of course it does, never said it didn’t.
What I am saying is that according to every source I can find, ALL ice on earth, both on land and on water, only accounts for 2.5% of all water on earth.
So there is only so much ice/ water available to flow into the oceans.
If every piece of ice melted today it would increase the oceans volumes by less than 3%. Much less since MOST of that ice is already on water.
Im not arguing about rising oceans. If the insurance companies say Florida is sinking then it’s probably sinking and walls are getting taller.
C Ya lives there, I don’t. If he says he lost a foot of beach he probably has.
My contention is that melting ice is not the global event we keep hearing about.
It’s an insignificant volume UNLESS you live on the beach or tidal zone.
" Yes, of course it does, never said it didn’t." FINALLY 🥳 Thank you, so we are in agreement as the correct answer to the question 500BBC had posed. That's it, that's all it was.
I have no idea who else you're currently conversing with, preaching to, or arguing with, but it isn't me --- other than, my question of how you're equating "LAND MASS" covered to volumetric percentages as it might apply total ocean volume and sea level rise ? I'm trying to understand the correlation you're making and how you arrived at it --- OK ?

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
View attachment 1162863

How does land mass equate to volume ?

I don’t understand what you are arguing?

The USGS says that 10% of land mass is covered in ice. 90% of that is Antarctica.
MOST freshwater on earth is frozen.
They estimate that about 2.5% of all earths water is frozen. The rest is oceans and freshwater.
The Oracle said that most of the ice on earth is on land, and therefore available for increasing water levels. That’s simply not true according to the USGS.
There is 33% more ice in water than on land according to them.

But all that aside if all ice melted at once and ran into the oceans it would increase volume by 2.5%.

But the reality is that it only would be about 1/3 of that since 2/3 is already displacing.

As global events go, melting ice is not the threat we are led to believe. There simply isn’t enough of it.

Last edited:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
" Yes, of course it does, never said it didn’t." FINALLY 🥳 Thank you, so we are in agreement as the correct answer to the question 500BBC had posed. That's it

Damn T, if I’d have known that I would have said it 3 posts ago! Lol

Taboma

Reaction score
I don’t understand what you are arguing?

The USGS says that 10% of land mass is covered in ice. 90% of that is Antarctica.
MOST freshwater on earth is frozen.
They estimate that about 2.5% of all earths water is frozen. The rest is oceans and freshwater.
The Oracle said that most of the ice on earth is on land, and therefore available for increasing water levels. That’s simply not true according to the USGS.
There is 33% more ice in water than on land according to them.

But all that aside if all ice melted at once and ran into the oceans it would increase volume by 2.5%.

But the reality is that it only would be about 1/3 of that since 2/3 is already displacing.

As global events go, melting ice is not the threat we are led to believe. There simply isn’t enough of it.
That's OK, that makes two of us who are confused. 😂 I got tired of chasing you around trying to figure out how percentage of coverage was relative to volume, so went to USGS like you did. NOW, I see where you found the percentage of volume.

My question is answered, now you can go back to arguing with whomever you think you're arguing with, cuz it ain't me. ;)😁
Water stored in glaciers.JPG

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
That's OK, that makes two of us who are confused. 😂 I got tired of chasing you around trying to figure out how percentage of coverage was relative to volume, so went to USGS like you did. NOW, I see where you found the percentage of volume.

My question is answered, now you can go back to arguing with whomever you think you're arguing with, cuz it ain't me. ;)😁
View attachment 1162871

Got a pit bull??

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

Yep, like I said, coastal and tidal plains. Not a global killer.
Now whatever caused them to melt all at once would almost assuredly be our demise.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Nope, no dogs, no cats, no birds, but I did stand on the Mendenhall Glacier once 😁
View attachment 1162872

Nice!
I been there as well.
When I first moved to Alaska in 71 Portage glacier at the end of turnagain arm was like right up to the parking lot.
Last time I was there 3 years ago you could barely see it across the huge glacier lake.
It’s receded probably at least a mile just eyeballing it.
All the glaciers around Anchorage have receded incredibly over the decades.

fishing fool

Reaction score
This is why you do not see a rise in the ocean. Dudi is taking the sand from the ocean and bringing is above water...... Keeping the rise of the ocean in control.....

the-world-islands-dubai-photo-aerial.jpg

1200px-Artificial_Archipelagos%2C_Dubai%2C_United_Arab_Emirates_ISS022-E-024940_lrg_%28cropped%29.jpg

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
I was there as well, but just took a bus.😂
I got hooked on helos in the Army. 😘
Wife and I have made it a priority to fly in one pretty much where ever we've vacationed over the many years.
We got really lucky this day. Weather was perfect for flying as the normal low cloud cover further up glacier had lifted considerably. This made for a very happy pilot as it had been awhile since he'd been able to get very far up the mountain, so he was making the best of it and gave us one hell of a fun trip.
Follow the leader.jpg

Follow the leader 2.jpg

Mendenhall Glacier.jpg

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I got hooked on helos in the Army. 😘
Wife and I have made it a priority to fly in one pretty much where ever we've vacationed over the many years.
We got really lucky this day. Weather was perfect for flying as the normal low cloud cover further up glacier had lifted considerably. This made for a very happy pilot as it had been awhile since he'd been able to get very far up the mountain, so he was making the best of it and gave us one hell of a fun trip.
View attachment 1162968

View attachment 1162969
View attachment 1162970
That's a much better view than we got. ;) We don't vacation too much, but when we do there's no getting the wife in a helicopter.😁

Taboma

Reaction score
That's a much better view than we got. ;) We don't vacation too much, but when we do there's no getting the wife in a helicopter.😁
First time for my wife was on Maui, early 90's. I booked us a very early morning trip that featured the Haleakala Crater. With Headphones on, and a perfectly coordinated climb up the face of the volcano, we crested over the edge, with the sunrise while blasting the main theme from 2001 Space Odyssey. Having possibly been slightly stoned, it was truly an unbelievable experience. 🙃
From then on, she was game to fly. 👍
We've done champagne lunch flights to remote outcroppings, all kinds of fun expeditions. Flying up to the waterfalls on Kauai was truly beautiful, unfortunately that trip turned sour when we ended up searching for and finding another helo that had gone down in Waimea Canyon. Was on it's side, but everybody was climbing out and looked ok. That pretty much dampened the vibe that day and I was afraid that might be it, but nope, she's flown numerous times since, including the glacier trip.
In truth, the hairiest trip was an early morning balloon ride from Del Mar, we all got beat up pretty good on that "Crash, bang, boom" landing, but we picked the dirt and bushes from our teeth and walked away, so technically, it was a good one. 🤣

instagator

Reaction score
Just wondering how you know the tides were the same when both pics were taken in any of these comparison pic memes ?
Location depending, it can make a considerable difference.
Exactly!