WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

This Country's Greatest Generation

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I get these posts on my FB account every now and then, showing how these men fought with such courage and bravery to stop these evil dictators from attempting to take over the world. These are all kids - I look at all the F'd up youngsters out there today who don't even know if they are a man or a woman or they are upset that the history of our country was not inclusive, and now all want all statues and names associated with that time period because they feel it is offensive to them, removed. I'm glad we have had people like this defending us and hope the pendulum swings back around.

Thank you and God Bless all those who served and are serving.

Alton W. Knappenberger was presented the Medal of Honor for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty in action involving actual conflict with the enemy, on 1 February 1944 near Cisterna di Littoria, Italy.
'You're a One Man Army.' said a beachhead general to 20 y.o. Pvt. Alton W. Knappenberger from Spring Mount, PA, shown here cleaning his fondest possession, an automatic rifle. With it, he killed approximately 40 Germans.
Along with two buddies (killed in this action) 'Knapp' (now single-handed) fired 600 rounds of ammo returned for more- then killed more Germans, including an officer and 7 men who ordered him to surrender. He thought he had killed a 'nice bunch' when questioned regarding his lone 1 hr. 'blitz'. Signal Corps Radio Telephoto from Italy. 16 April 1944
When a heavy German counterattack was launched against his battalion, Private Knappenberger crawled to an exposed knoll and went into position with his automatic rifle. An enemy machinegun 85 yards away opened fire, and bullets struck within 6 inches of him. Rising to a kneeling position, Private Knappenberger opened fire on the hostile crew, knocked out the gun, killed 2 members of the crew, and wounded the third.
While he fired at this hostile position, 2 Germans crawled to a point within 20 yards of the knoll and threw potato-masher grenades at him, but Private Knappenberger killed them both with 1 burst from his automatic rifle.
Later, a second machinegun opened fire upon his exposed position from a distance of 100 yards, and this weapon also was silenced by his well-aimed shots. Shortly thereafter, an enemy 20mm. antiaircraft gun directed fire at him, and again Private Knappenberger returned fire to wound 1 member of the hostile crew. Under tank and artillery shellfire, with shells bursting within 15 yards of him, he held his precarious position and fired at all enemy infantrymen armed with machine pistols and machineguns which he could locate. When his ammunition supply became exhausted, he crawled 15 yards forward through steady machinegun fire, removed rifle clips from the belt of a casualty, returned to his position and resumed firing to repel an assaulting German platoon armed with automatic weapons.
Finally, his ammunition supply being completely exhausted, he rejoined his company. Private Knappenberger's intrepid action disrupted the enemy attack for over 2 hours.
Alton W. Knappenberger, 84, of Boyertown, Pennsylvania, passed away Monday, June 9 2008, at Pottstown Memorial Hospital.

Colourised PIECE of JAKE
Source: http://arlingtoncemetery.net/awkappenberger.htm

1625412308348.png

Last edited:

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Born into the great depression, fought to make the world safe for democracy and from tyranny, built the greatest economy the world has ever known and took huge steps towards fulfilling the promise of the founders that "all men are created equal"...

And their great-grandchildren are fucking it all up.

Cdog

Reaction score
I’ll always have the greatest respect for my grandparents. Both grandfathers were Army in WW2 Europe. But they sure did a fucked up job raising the boomers which in turn raised the majority of the millennials you all like to complain about.

Roughly half of us Gen X’rs come from divorced homes. Seems Gen X’r children tend tend to be more conservative and Gen Xers have both a lower Marriage rate and divorce rate.

The children of the WW2 Gen/Boomers are in charge of this country and are responsible for running it off the cliff.

My parents who are financially successful but divorced boomers acknowledge this.

The bottom line is the War starts at home. And we’re all loosing.

Cdog

Reaction score
Also keep in mind the oldest millennials have been fighting over in the middle east over bullshit FoR 20 years now. It’s very likely the best of that generation has been wasted for no reason whatsoever. Sent by boomers....

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I've read many stories of battlefield Valor. Some, like this, just legendary acts of badass. I'm 44. I have my kids read the same stories, and want them to see that the freedoms we have were brought by soldiers. These were normally citizens forced into military action. They found strength they never knew they had.

Why didn't my friends' parents teach them to respect the Flag and our history growing up? Maybe there'd be more people my age with kids, kids that would respect the Flag, and what it means.

TCHB

Reaction score
My father never complained, worked very hard and raised 5 kids. He never missed one day of work in 40 years. My dad repaired his own cars, painted his house and did all the yard work.. When he got sick he asked me to make sure he had a Marine head stone. He would tell me a good person is humble and caring.

Attachments

• 29AAD8DA-3F5B-4005-804C-1807872CA558.jpeg
    29AAD8DA-3F5B-4005-804C-1807872CA558.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 34

rrrr

Reaction score
I get these posts on my FB account every now and then, showing how these men fought with such courage and bravery to stop these evil dictators from attempting to take over the world. These are all kids - I look at all the F'd up youngsters out there today who don't even know if they are a man or a woman or they are upset that the history of our country was not inclusive, and now all want all statues and names associated with that time period because they feel it is offensive to them, removed. I'm glad we have had people like this defending us and hope the pendulum swings back around.

Alton W. Knappenberger was presented the Medal of Honor for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty in action involving actual conflict with the enemy, on 1 February 1944 near Cisterna di Littoria, Italy.
'You're a One Man Army.' said a beachhead general to 20 y.o. Pvt. Alton W. Knappenberger from Spring Mount, PA, shown here cleaning his fondest possession, an automatic rifle. With it, he killed approximately 40 Germans.
Along with two buddies (killed in this action) 'Knapp' (now single-handed) fired 600 rounds of ammo returned for more- then killed more Germans, including an officer and 7 men who ordered him to surrender. He thought he had killed a 'nice bunch' when questioned regarding his lone 1 hr. 'blitz'. Signal Corps Radio Telephoto from Italy. 16 April 1944
When a heavy German counterattack was launched against his battalion, Private Knappenberger crawled to an exposed knoll and went into position with his automatic rifle. An enemy machinegun 85 yards away opened fire, and bullets struck within 6 inches of him. Rising to a kneeling position, Private Knappenberger opened fire on the hostile crew, knocked out the gun, killed 2 members of the crew, and wounded the third.
While he fired at this hostile position, 2 Germans crawled to a point within 20 yards of the knoll and threw potato-masher grenades at him, but Private Knappenberger killed them both with 1 burst from his automatic rifle.
Later, a second machinegun opened fire upon his exposed position from a distance of 100 yards, and this weapon also was silenced by his well-aimed shots. Shortly thereafter, an enemy 20mm. antiaircraft gun directed fire at him, and again Private Knappenberger returned fire to wound 1 member of the hostile crew. Under tank and artillery shellfire, with shells bursting within 15 yards of him, he held his precarious position and fired at all enemy infantrymen armed with machine pistols and machineguns which he could locate. When his ammunition supply became exhausted, he crawled 15 yards forward through steady machinegun fire, removed rifle clips from the belt of a casualty, returned to his position and resumed firing to repel an assaulting German platoon armed with automatic weapons.
Finally, his ammunition supply being completely exhausted, he rejoined his company. Private Knappenberger's intrepid action disrupted the enemy attack for over 2 hours.
Alton W. Knappenberger, 84, of Boyertown, Pennsylvania, passed away Monday, June 9 2008, at Pottstown Memorial Hospital.

Colourised PIECE of JAKE

View attachment 1021683

You can see from the photo Knappenbergen was a small guy. That BAR (Browning Automatic Rifle) he used to such great effect weighed over 20 lbs fully loaded. Although it could fire in automatic and semi-automatic modes, the magazine only held 20 rounds. You couldn't just spray bullets everywhere.

Anyone that fought in the Italian theater during the winter of 1944 was a tough sonofabitch. It was wet and cold, and the German Army was dug into defensive fortifications that wouldn't be breached until much American blood was shed.

Picture yourself doing everything that Private Knappenbergen did on the day he earned the Medal of Honor. It's impossible.

Knappenbergen served with the 3rd Infantry Division, a unit that fought with great tradition and honor in WWI and WWII. This brief paragraph about the 3rd's actions during WWII will provide an idea of the Division's accomplishments:

The Division was credited with 531 combat days which was the most combat days of any unit in the European Theatre. The 3rd Infantry Division fought in places like Casablanca, Anzio, Rome, the Vosges Mountains, Colmar, the Siegfried Line, Palermo, Nurnberg, Munich, Berchtesgaden, and Salzburg.

The 3rd Infantry Division was the only U.S. unit that served in all 10 campaigns of WWII, participated in four amphibious landings, and suffered the most casualties of any U. S. unit in the theatre.
audie_murphy.png

The most decorated Soldier in World War II was Lieutenant Audie L. Murphy, who served with the 15th Infantry Regiment in Italy and France. Thirty-nine (39) Soldiers of the Division were awarded the Medal of Honor. Further, 133 Distinguished Service Crosses and over 2000 Silver Stars were awarded.

Audie Murphy:

Murphy is the most decorated US service member in the history of our nation.

Medal of Honor
Distinguished Service Cross
Silver Star Medal (2)
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star (2, 1 "V" device)
Purple Heart (3)
Army Good Conduct Medal
Distinguished Unit Citation (2)
American Campaign Medal
European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal (9 campaigns, arrowhead device)
World War II Victory Medal
Army of Occupation Medal with Germany clasp
French Legion of Honour (grade of Chevalier)
French Croix de Guerre with silver star
French Croix de Guerre with palm (3)
Belgian Croix de Guerre with palm
French fourragère in colors of the Croix de Guerre
Combat Infantryman Badge
Marksman Badge with Rifle Component Bar
Expert Badge with Bayonet Component Bar
Outstanding Civilian Service Medal
Texas Legislative Medal of Honor

Last edited:

Cdog

Reaction score
Here’s my Gramps. Army corp of engineers. Pulled in on D-day to run artillery. Fought all the way into Bavaria and northern Austria.

One thing to note about my grandfather. He never let the war define who he was. If you asked him about the war he would tell you he was just there to do his job.

A964B892-55B4-46D9-AA87-96521435E2F1.jpeg
1E6964ED-3A62-4809-84F7-4291B1990AFD.jpeg

Last edited:

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
You can see from the photo Knappenbergen was a small guy. That BAR (Browning Automatic Rifle) he used to such great effect weighed over 20 lbs fully loaded. Although it could fire in automatic and semi-automatic modes, the clip only held 20 rounds. You couldn't just spray bullets everywhere.

Anyone that fought in the Italian theater during the winter of 1944 was a tough sonofabitch. It was wet and cold, and the German Army was dug into defensive fortifications that wouldn't be breached until much American blood was shed.

Picture yourself doing everything that Private Knappenbergen did on the day he earned the Medal of Honor. It's impossible.
Sometimes in extreme circumstances when you know that there are only 2 ways out and one is a suicide mission so you go in fighting like a son of a bitch and giving it your all for your men and country and the other way out is not even considered.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score

Colourised PIECE of JAKE

View attachment 1021683
May he RIP

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
I’ve mentioned this before. But worth mentioning again this 4th of July. Our family had only one friend at Pearl Harbor the day it was bombed. A young navy Lt. A real bad ass. Thank you Harriet Holmes for your service. A young Navy nurse, just assigned to Pearl. Can’t even imagine what her day must have been. She never talked about it.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Cheers to all before us that have provided freedom for us all!

that was when men were men…no ifs and or buts about it

boatnam2

Reaction score
I’ve mentioned this before. But worth mentioning again this 4th of July. Our family had only one friend at Pearl Harbor the day it was bombed. A young navy Lt. A real bad ass. Thank you Harriet Holmes for your service. A young Navy nurse, just assigned to Pearl. Can’t even imagine what her day must have been. She never talked about it.
I was watching a travel vlog yesterday and they were visiting Pearl harbor, I was thinking wow what a insane day and how it went down. Can never thank someone enough for giving there life or service for my freedom.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Watched game-2 of the NBA finals with my pops back in Tempe and thought of this thread. It reminded me of my grandfather Rafael Garcia who served in WWII. A real badass who spent the remainder of his life cowboying at his big ole beautiful ranch in south Texas. I loved that place and when it was time to pass it on to a new family there were a few things of his I kept.

Sharing with y’all and glad to snap some more pics from the books!

58384E46-525C-4AD4-ABF8-C3CC5CE63BA7.jpeg

D855AA78-AB91-4CE7-B3FA-EC3F38F24CFB.jpeg

3218D737-15AA-4D88-8583-B801243B6AB7.jpeg

F010C897-C4DF-4101-860E-EA24759DB5C3.jpeg

4462AC10-51EB-44A4-8533-A047BBB35DE7.jpeg
D552BFD5-0A61-487F-B3BD-233E7216DE10.jpeg

165FF050-4D3A-4FB7-8B29-7151F07696B1.jpeg

DBD31182-AA84-4F51-99E4-B398D890523B.jpeg

Great generation indeed. Been working on Vol. 1 since Wednesday, it’s tough to put down.

nowski

Reaction score
My dad and his 4 brothers were all Bad Asses but the toughest of them all was my grandmother. She was a single mom widowed back in the late 1930's and saw all of her sons but one injured during the war.

Back in the early 80's I took a 2 week vacation to Connecticut just to hang out with and spend some quality time with these heroes. Ironically during my visit they treated me like I was a hero because I took time out of my busy life to spend time with them, my memory of that visit is priceless...

Although I never had a chance to meet my grandfather he would be proud to know that his sons fought for this Great Country that he migrated to. Here's a proud parent moment that he didn't get a chance to see...

DSC.jpg