WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

This is just sad, poor boat

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Was in Ventura yesterday and walked by the Gentry Eagle, Its just sad, really cool boat that really has no hope, imagine the parties you could have with this bad boy.

43142C6A-AD8C-4938-9F82-867271BD0F88.jpeg
AD0BC7FC-32D6-4DDC-AE85-A9DB8F422AE3.jpeg

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Somebody's paying a fortune for it to sit there.....
I can imagine what it looks/smells like inside.....
poor boat.
No doubt cost way more than its worth to upgrade and refit.

Backlash

Reaction score
That's such a sad sight. I remember when they ran that sucker back in the day.

Tank

Reaction score
That things either gonna take someone with more dollars than sense or it’s going to the scrap yard. It seems to be well past it’s prime restore time frame. Value vs what it’s gonna take won’t be justifiable.

sirbob

Reaction score
I too have seen it sitting for quite a while.

Anyone see the inside? Is it a stripped out race boat or is there any kind of interior that would be considered left over from being a pleasure boat?

Tank

Reaction score
I too have seen it sitting for quite a while.

Anyone see the inside? Is it a stripped out race boat or is there any kind of interior that would be considered left over from being a pleasure boat?
The interior is in tact. But over the years there’s been windows left open etc. I don’t know what shape the interior is on now but I’m guessing not great. Not to mention it’s an interior remodel from the early 90’s. Would need some serious updating even if it was perfect.

rivergames

Reaction score
I was cruising around the port of Long Beach Yesterday. Amazing how many Run down boats are sitting at the docks. Amazing they are still floating. No F'n way the owners of the boats are paying their monthly payments. I wish I grabbed pictures of some of the tied up turds.

Probably cheaper for the port to let the boats sit and rot prior to getting them out of the water and paying for transportation and dump fees

spectras only

Reaction score
Built by Vosper Thornycroft , so I assume its hull is aluminum. Vosper built the best ocean going patrol boats.
It definitely would be worth saving/refit by someone with deep pockets.

wzuber

Reaction score
the gold metalflake stripe on the sides is pealing and it's at least 1/6" thick. just the paint repair alone would be silly $$
It's a great/sad relic.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Must be Covid pricing because I didn’t see a asking price.😊

havasujeeper

Reaction score
I too recently saw that boat and was really impressed with the design. God knows what it would take to fix her up, but that sure would be a baller boat, worthy of RDB painted on the transom.

JBZ

Reaction score
Looks like she got a bath in July 2021. Didnt take long to get all shitty again

JBZ

Reaction score
I guess not

Captain John Morrison, 23 January 2011

Unfortunately, numerous problems left me with no option but to suspend and likely end this endeavor. I knew going into this project that I might not be able to pull this together, but felt the dream was worth pursuing even if I couldn't make it happen. I would rather try and lose, than never try at all.

I am so very proud and thankful to my exceptional crew and everyone who gave many hours of their time chasing this dream. Even though I may not realize this dream, I’m sure others will. I like thinking that I may have contributed to their success if only by inspiring them is some little way. This project has enriched my life in so many ways.

JBZ

Reaction score
Here is a thread from 2011

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
That thing would make a pretty nice Live Aboard. I'm guessing the interior is pretty bad though if the window has been open or broken for the last 10 years

NicPaus

Reaction score
I was cruising around the port of Long Beach Yesterday. Amazing how many Run down boats are sitting at the docks. Amazing they are still floating. No F'n way the owners of the boats are paying their monthly payments. I wish I grabbed pictures of some of the tied up turds.

Probably cheaper for the port to let the boats sit and rot prior to getting them out of the water and paying for transportation and dump fees
Some are on monthly auto pay from a trust. Was told that they start to sink get refloated and repaired and the trust just keeps paying the monthly until it runs out of money.

Others are probably in default but like mentioned what are they going to do. Cost a lot to dispose of them.

Tank

Reaction score
One of the main problems with a refit of the gentry eagle is the motors would need to come out and be rebuilt. But to do that you have to cut the deck / transom off.

No sweat! 😳😳

Taboma

Reaction score
Looks like she got a bath in July 2021. Didnt take long to get all shitty again

Wonder if they closed or boarded up the windows and evicted the pigeon colony that had taken up residence in the interior ??? 🤮
The ones that crack me up are the old small saily boats on a mooring that is now half submerged by a 2,500 lb Bull Sealion squatter. 🤬

rrrr

Reaction score

It's the same at small airports all over the country. I see airplanes that were once pristine and useful, a key to the freedom of the skies, and they sit with rotting flat tires and deteriorating paint, with an engine destroyed by neglect.

Most of them belong to people that claim the same things which boat owners do. It's just dirty, I'm going to restore it next year, etc.

Then there are the surviving heirs, who look at Trade-A-Plane and see a Cessna 182 selling for $145,000. It's "just like Dad's, except it just needs a cleanup and a wax job. I know what it's worth, and I'm not going to give it away."

In actuality, the fuselage and wings have severe aluminum corrosion, which might require replacement of the wings and fuselage skin. The engine hasn't run in twelve years. The radios are archaic. There isn't a GPS and other navigation systems installed, which are required for instrument flight operations.

The interior is shredded fabric and foam. The windshield and windows need to be replaced. It's extremely unlikely the engine can be returned to flight status without an engine overhaul.

The aircraft hasn't had the required annual inspection, performed by FAA certified mechanics and inspectors, in years. There are a dozen FAA Airworthiness Directives (ADs) outstanding, which means the plane cannot be legally flown until they are completed.

The people that loved Dad won't sell it unless they they receive the asking price, but in reality that won't happen. These airplanes were built fifty or sixty years ago, and the manufacturers charge incredibly exorbitant prices for parts that are manufactured by hand one at a time, because the tooling was sold for scrap long ago.

The aircraft is worth salvage value, maybe $10,000. Yet the family wants $125,000 for it.

And it continues to decompose, just like a dead body.

5b746436342c9.image.jpg

Last edited:

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… Maybe thats the livaboard Ive been looking for… Get an old colored TV plug it in …kick back on the couch and the chicks will just come running…(Maybe???).,,

nowski

Reaction score
Breaking News: The Gentry Eagle was damaged this past weekend by a tsunami that was said to have hit the west coast, wide spread damage has been reported.

Conflicting Stories: First reports of neglect were thought to be the original cause of damage. The vessel is now under a full investigation seeking out the root cause of said damage, News at Eleven...

rrrr

Reaction score
… Maybe thats the livaboard Ive been looking for… Get an old colored TV plug it in …kick back on the couch and the chicks will just come running…(Maybe???).,,
About 15 years ago I found a 1958 52' Chris Craft Constellation for sale. It was slipped on Lake Texoma. I went to look at it because it had two Ford FE 427 engines, one LHR and one RHR.

It must have been a beautiful boat in its heyday, but years of neglect had ravaged the wood hull and decks. The owner wanted $20K for it. I offered him $5K, thinking in my head if he accepted the offer I was fucked. It would cost another $5K to pull it out of the water and transport it to my shop in Plano, and then what?

He countered with $10K, and I politely told him no thanks. Whew!

Tank

Reaction score
Breaking News: The Gentry Eagle was damaged this past weekend by a tsunami that was said to have hit the west coast, wide spread damage has been reported.

Conflicting Stories: First reports of neglect were thought to be the original cause of damage. The vessel is now under a full investigation seeking out the root cause of said damage, News at Eleven...
I wouldn't doubt this to be true. The tidal surge was pretty gnarly from the tsunami. Ventura Harbor got hit pretty hard, the Harbor Patrol lost a boat even. Wonder what the damage was to the GE?

nowski

Reaction score
I wouldn't doubt this to be true. The tidal surge was pretty gnarly from the tsunami. Ventura Harbor got hit pretty hard, the Harbor Patrol lost a boat even. Wonder what the damage was to the GE?
A buddy of mine works in the Santa Barbara Harbor: He just texted me back stating that they had a small surge with some added sediment but no damage reported...

Tank

Reaction score
We didn't get any damage in the Channel Islands Harbor either. Ventura Harbor is designed poorly. Large break that comes into the harbor when the swell is right and it's basically direct access. Rumor is Ventura was in a race to build the harbor and get it done before Channel Islands and thus, they screwed the pooch. not only can it be difficult to navigate in and out during storms / big swell, it doesn't flow properly, so it gets dank in the back of the harbor.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Reading the ad for the Eagle...35" cleaver on the Arneson!

:oops:

...and the 9800gal tank.

If I won the lotto, I could get the wife a "beach house"...only faster.