WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

This little squirrel found a nut

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
I first learned of this boat 3 years ago, tried to close a deal but it just didn't work out. A couple of weeks ago the owner decided it was time.

1975 schiada 21rc, hull #2 built from the mold, first stern drive boat from schiada. Mild power just a 350 with upgraded heads and cam, TRS drive and aluminum saddle and bow belly tank. Bow rail and interior are not original though.

Here is the best part, one owner boat with all documentation including original receipt of sale from schiada. Boat spent the last 30 years hidden in a warehouse.

$6500 later and she came home with me
20220818_124140.jpg
20220818_124231.jpg
20220818_143843.jpg
20220818_164219.jpg
20220818_180233.jpg
20220818_145140.jpg
20220818_124320.jpg
20220818_140327.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lenmann

Reaction score
Awesome find, total time capsule with the single owner deal.

Really doesn't look that much different than the $300,000 brand new ones. I guess that what they mean when they say it's a timeless design.

0B5FECE9-C4B5-44AA-B97D-F743A7657075.jpeg
5221D05B-FB94-43EF-BF33-0FAD5C37313B.jpeg
FA69FEFB-4BC3-43A8-BB28-51248EB67A47.jpeg

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I know it's no turbo'd v drive, but the story and history behind this boat is soooo cool. Minor resto mod with fesh interior, old school cragars with knock offs on the trailer, and few other little things and that's all I think she will need

DLC

Reaction score
With all due respect to everyone’s post !

I believe they passed the torch on to you! This is a task not taken lightly…

This is not a money maker flip, more like a family air loom passed on down to a fellow boater, that will love and cherish and when time is right will pass it on to follow… what the original owners did.

DLC

Reaction score
What an AWESOME Torch / opportunity to be given.

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
Wow. Killer deal. I love the history and the bow rail. Can I put my name on the waiting list?

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
😍 I love the story, and have always loved the OG river boats. Pardon me I need to go change my shorts.😅🤣🤣 That is one bad ass find.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Cool story. I’m sure the history will be a great read too.

Bow rail is trick!

rrrr

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I know it's no turbo'd v drive, but the story and history behind this boat is soooo cool. Minor resto mod with fesh interior, old school cragars with knock offs on the trailer, and few other little things and that's all I think she will need
You'll have a nice feeling of satisfaction when you're tooling around in that OG ride. There are lots of nice boats out there, but not many like yours.

Sweet.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
So here is the story behind this boat. As mentioned before, this is boat #2 from the 21RC mold and the first boat built with a stern drive. Lol, this was the boat that made Leonard Schiada say he would never build another stern drive. The boat was built in May of 75 and delivery was taken in June. Dave and Darla Beckett who are the original owners of sand tires unlimited are the ones leonard built this boat for. I guess I should rephrase that, the boat was built for Darla and Dave just happened to have his name on the title as well.

The boat spent its entire life on lake Powell with an occasional trip to havasu or Perris, Darla loved Powell and she dearly loved this schiada. When the boat was built Darla designed the from passenger seat so that she could sit comfortably with her dog, and she even request that the boat be built with and extra fuel tank which is why the boat has the bow tank and saddle tanks.

So here is where the story turns into a bit of a soap opera...

At the time the boat was built, Dave and Darla had sand tires unlimited and the business was doing well. So well that Dave and Darla hired a young guy just help with the shop and vehicle maintenance. Marc was responsible to making sure the boat was clean fueled and ready to at all times. Marc was the person responsible for all the maintenance on this boat since day it was built. Marc was even there for the maiden voyage of the schiada when it was discovered the boat left the shop with a right hand rotation prop on a left hand rotation drive.

As years when on, Dave and Darlas relationship started to fall apart. However new relationship started to bloom at the same time. Marc who was the young hired help for the shop soon found himself in love with Darla. Marc would eventually end up buying sand tires unlimited from Dave.

Marc eventually goes on to marry Darla and wherever Darla went the schiada went.

Well here is where I come into the picture...

I first learned of the boat through a mutual friend of Marc. I went a say the boat in 2019 but Marc wasn't ready to let Darlas boat go. Darla had recently passed and Marc was in the process of selling sand tires unlimited. Well a couple of weeks ago I decided to call Mark again and see if he still had the boat. He told me that it was time and $6500 would close the deal.

So yesterday I went and picked her up. I actually enjoyed hearing Marc talk about the way Powell used to be, the stories he has go on for days. At one point Marc went on to tell me that, Darla still sits in an urn above the mantle in his house in Utah. Marc even told me that he has thought many times about taking the schiada and Darla out to Powell again and just pulling the plug to let Darla and her boat rest in peace.

The truth is this boat isn't mine, im just the conservator of the boat for the time being, this boat is darlas, it always has been.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
With all due respect to everyone’s post !

I believe they passed the torch on to you! This is a task not taken lightly…

This is not a money maker flip, more like a family air loom passed on down to a fellow boater, that will love and cherish and when time is right will pass it on to follow… what the original owners did.

👍

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
So here is the story behind this boat. As mentioned before, this is boat #2 from the 21RC mold and the first boat built with a stern drive. Lol, this was the boat that made Leonard Schiada say he would never build another stern drive. The boat was built in May of 75 and delivery was taken in June. Dave and Darla Beckett who are the original owners of sand tires unlimited are the ones leonard built this boat for. I guess I should rephrase that, the boat was built for Darla and Dave just happened to have his name on the title as well.

The boat spent its entire life on lake Powell with an occasional trip to havasu or Perris, Darla loved Powell and she dearly loved this schiada. When the boat was built Darla designed the from passenger seat so that she could sit comfortably with her dog, and she even request that the boat be built with and extra fuel tank which is why the boat has the bow tank and saddle tanks.

At the time the boat was built, Dave and Darla had sand tires unlimited and the business was doing well. So well that Dave and Darla hired a young guy just help with the shop and vehicle maintenance. Marc was responsible to making sure the boat was clean fueled and ready to at all times. Marc was the person responsible for all the maintenance on this boat since day it was built. Marc was even there for the maiden voyage of the schiada when it was discovered the boat left the shop with a right hand rotation prop on a left hand rotation drive.

As years when on, Dave and Darlas relationship started to fall apart. However new relationship started to bloom at the same time. Marc who was the young hired help for the shop soon found himself in love with Darla. Marc would eventually end up buying sand tires unlimited from Dave.

Marc eventually goes on to marry Darla and wherever Darla went the schiada went.

I first learned of the boat through a mutual friend of Marc. I went a say the boat in 2019 but Marc wasn't ready to let Darlas boat go. Darla had recently passed and Marc was in the process of selling sand tires unlimited. Well a couple of weeks ago I decided to call Mark again and see if he still had the boat. He told me that it was time and $6500 would close the deal.

So yesterday I went and picked her up. I actually enjoyed hearing Marc talk about the way Powell used to be, the stories he has go on for days. At one point Marc went on to tell me that, Darla still sits in an urn above the mantle in his house in Utah. Marc even told me that he has thought many times about taking the schiada and Darla out to Powell again and just pulling the plug to let Darla and her boat rest in peace.

The truth is this boat isn't mine, im just the conservator of the boat for the time being, this boat is darlas, it always has been.

It’s stories like these that non-boaters just can’t grasp the true passion we boaters have for the lifestyle.

That’s an incredible story and the boat found it’s way to someone that will continue it’s legacy the way it was intended. Thanks for sharing!

You have to get that boat back to Powell and have Marc and Darla come along for one last rip.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
It’s stories like these that non-boaters just can’t grasp the true passion we boaters have for the lifestyle.

That’s an incredible story and the boat found it’s way to someone that will continue it’s legacy the way it was intended. Thanks for sharing!

You have to get that boat back to Powell and have Marc and Darla come along for one last rip.

Just dont let him pull the plug 😁

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Anyone catch that OG interest rate on the sales paperwork? 11.95%

bonesfab

Reaction score
A very cool piece. and a great story to go with it.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score

That was what we discussed, Marc wasn't ready to let Darla go, but now I think he is. We agreed that the day comes and the boat is done, I'd drag it up there so he could take Darla and spread her ashes in her favorite cove.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Damm dude...

Amazing story all the way around. Yeah, it's a bit of a soap opera, but who cares.

It's the story of a boat and her owner. May she rest in peace and be proud of what you will do with her pride and joy.

Darla's

That would be a great name across the back. Congrats!

HST4ME

Reaction score
Awesome. That boat is so cool. I love the og gauges. Cool thing is with that drive package sliding in a nice 383 is easy as pie and zero worries about drive issues.

GaryC

Reaction score
Yikes! The hair on my neck is sticking up reading that story! Best of luck with that cool looking boat!

Reactions: DLC

Shane54

Reaction score
If Marc was willing, I'd see if he'd donate a little of Darla's ashes you could put in small waterproof container and secure it hidden somewhere in the boat. It'd be a cool way to ensure that Darla was always with it.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
If Marc was willing, I'd see if he'd donate a little of Darla's ashes you could put in small waterproof container and secure it hidden somewhere in the boat. It'd be a cool way to ensure that Darla was always with it.
That is a great idea

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
I just talked to Marc and sounds like he is up for this idea. When I pull the bow tank to have it dipped we can glass in some of darlas ashes into the boat

the510

Reaction score
Wow! Great deal. Cool story too. Congratulations.

Morehart

Reaction score
Life is weird. That boat was meant for you. I'm sure you felt it when you first inquired about it. WHAT A COOL STORY! that piece of art is a time capsule.

Deckin Around

Reaction score
As years when on, Dave and Darlas relationship started to fall apart. However new relationship started to bloom at the same time. Marc who was the young hired help for the shop soon found himself in love with Darla.

I like how nicely you phrased that Darla was banging the help at her hubby's business😁❤️

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
I like how nicely you phrased that Darla was banging the help at her hubby's business😁❤️
Lol, that's why I referred to the story as a soap opera. I was really curious to know the age difference between Marc and Darla. I figured if Marc wanted to expand on that he would.