WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

This tire fixable?

wzuber

Reaction score
What say ye all? Too close to the edge? It's just inside the edge of the tread line.
20210221_161909.jpg

73mandella

Reaction score
Did the screw penetrate the inner liner? If it did, you need to replace the tire.

wzuber

Reaction score
Can I plug it temporarily till a shop can get one of these tires n and change out on Tuesday? The wife gets freaky about tire leaks. Is a plug better than just leaving the screw there for a day?

C08H18

Reaction score
Happened to me a few weeks back. Big O wouldn’t touch it. Luckily I had just put 4 new a few months earlier so I only bought one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
Same spot 2 days ago from a screw, leaked fast, maybe 15 mins from puncture to 15 pounds, got home, screwed it in tight, aired it up, drove to local cash Chicano tire shop, they plugged it to give me time to get a replacement. Still not leaking.

D19

Reaction score
Plug it yourself or take it to a se habla espanol tire shop on arrow highway, valley Blvd or holt blvd.

73mandella

Reaction score
Can I plug it temporarily till a shop can get one of these tires n and change out on Tuesday? The wife gets freaky about tire leaks. Is a plug better than just leaving the screw there for a day?

Are you losing tire pressure?

outboard_256

Reaction score
If you take it to a tire shop like american tire they won't let you leave the lot with the tire on the car. They will make you buy a new tire or offer to put your spare tire on.

WYRD

Reaction score
Buncha ninnies out there. Grab some dish soap mix with water and brush it over the screw. If no bubbles, grab a screwdriver and back it out. Chances are good it's not leaking.
If it is take it to a tire shop they want your 20 bucks 👍

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
I paid $14 cash no receipt for 2 plugs in and out in 10 mins. All discount might do in 10 minutes is glance at me. I gave up on Discount and NTB. If they were plumbers you’d have to repipe the whole house if you had a bad faucet.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Buncha ninnies out there. Grab some dish soap mix with water and brush it over the screw. If no bubbles, grab a screwdriver and back it out. Chances are good it's not leaking.
If it is take it to a tire shop they want your 20 bucks 👍
I picked up a nail in wifeys 3500 right in the side wall , tire had about 1/4 life left . I just put on 4 new rears didn’t need her to have any problems .

Universal Elements

Reaction score
There you go, call it a day 👍

KevinR

Reaction score
I paid $14 cash no receipt for 2 plugs in and out in 10 mins. All discount might do in 10 minutes is glance at me. I gave up on Discount and NTB. If they were plumbers you’d have to repipe the whole house if you had a bad faucet.

Because there is no leak does not automatically mean that tire is safe to drive on. Another inch toward the center, no problem.

I did the same thing a couple months back and in the end decided to fork over the $$$ to replace the tire. Family safety comes cheap once in awhile.

Just sayin.

Ladsm

Reaction score
I would plug that in a heartbeat and leave it on the rear so it has less stress from turning.

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
Because there is no leak does not automatically mean that tire is safe to drive on.

I did the same thing a couple months back and in the end decided to fork over the $$$ to replace the tire. Family safety comes cheap once in awhile.

Just sayin.
I did it to buy some time so I can get the tire I want on my schedule. I had just dropped wife at a restaurant with friends, tire was leaking fast, primary use is grocery getter. I sat down in the restaurant before first drinks were finished and happily joined in.

Bullhead bully

Reaction score
What say ye all? Too close to the edge? It's just inside the edge of the tread line. View attachment 975073
Yep. Find a private tire shop and they will fix it. I had one worse than that in the side of my tesla last week.

fixed.

just up the cash amount a tiny bit. Save you a ton of cash On a new tire

I was driving my Porsche on the autobahn I would probably put a new tire on

nowski

Reaction score
If you bought the extended road hazard warranty it should be covered. However if that was the case: Said shop removes the screw and it doesn't leak they'd say your good to go. That's how the game is played...

RVR_RCN

Reaction score
I plugged this one on the back four months ago and forgot all about it until I read your post. Sketchy to say the least but seems to work!

Attachments

• 21F4DE95-4C23-4C4D-9561-052BA4C2A6F8.jpeg
    21F4DE95-4C23-4C4D-9561-052BA4C2A6F8.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 104

RVR_RCN

Reaction score
7 bucks on amazon

Attachments

• 226AFD0D-2D23-49C1-85B1-6A5DF4442BA6.png
    226AFD0D-2D23-49C1-85B1-6A5DF4442BA6.png
    541.4 KB · Views: 58

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Take it to a tire shop that is not part of a major chain. Ask them to do a internal plug/patch. If prepped properly that will last the life of the tire.
It needs to be this style of plug.

C-2

Reaction score
I agree on plugging it; maybe it's just a pan-head sheet metal screw. As long as the plug doesn't disfigure the tread I think you're good.

I bought a "Black Jack" plug kit on Amazon about 10-years ago and the thing has been a lifesaver, it has easily saved me $200 on plug repairs, and more importantly, it's a huge time-saver.

My daughter called me a few months ago with this...yeah, not pluggable!

IMG-4809.jpg

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Plug it to get around until you can buy a new tire, that is not even patchable. Needs to be another inch into the steel belt for the patch to sit properly.

wzuber

Reaction score
There you go, call it a day 👍

I'm curious about this stuff in if it adversly effects the internal tire pres. Monitoring systems? Sure seems it would.
Note: Personally, I would only use this as a last resort type temp. Fix to get from BFE to some place to perform a proper repair.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
I'm curious about this stuff in if it adversly effects the internal tire pres. Monitoring systems? Sure seems it would.
Note: Personally, I would only use this as a last resort type temp. Fix to get from BFE to some place to perform a proper repair.

From their site. On a lot of road runs, saved my ass a couple of times. I thought you were going to change the tire tomorrow. Should be good for one dAy.

wzuber

Reaction score
20210222_081716.jpg

Since the local Americas tire store was closed yesterday, they'll patch for free if they deem safe to do so, I just went to vatozone n bought a slime brand patch kit and plugged it this morning. Pulled two other pieces of drywall screws out in the same area but they were only 3/8" long and didn't penetrate the interior. The leaker was 1" long pan head wood screw. No leaky anymore. With 40k miles on the orig. Eq. Tire, I'll start shopping for replacements. There's 6/32 tread ware left so were not too far off.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Happened to me a few weeks back. Big O wouldn’t touch it. Luckily I had just put 4 new a few months earlier so I only bought one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everyone is bashing America’s tire....
Bought 4 tires, no road hazard ins, had an unrepairable sidewall puncture 2000 miles later. They only charged me 20% for the replacement tire.
Worked for me

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Take it to a tire shop that is not part of a major chain. Ask them to do a internal plug/patch. If prepped properly that will last the life of the tire.
It needs to be this style of plug.

This is the correct way to fix a small puncture.

And here is the only issue with it...

You can't tell by the pic, but the head on that plug is almost 2 inches wide, and it MUST reside on the flat part of the inside of the tire to seal correctly (if it's on the curve, it won't stay).

This is why the rule is, the puncture must be at least an inch from the outside edge of the tire.

I've installed a ton of em. You have to have to the correct tools to do it! Lexus/Toyota had em all. BMW, yeah no, they would only sell you a new tire. Same with Rolls Royce and Bentley.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I agree on plugging it; maybe it's just a pan-head sheet metal screw. As long as the plug doesn't disfigure the tread I think you're good.

I bought a "Black Jack" plug kit on Amazon about 10-years ago and the thing has been a lifesaver, it has easily saved me $200 on plug repairs, and more importantly, it's a huge time-saver.

My daughter called me a few months ago with this...yeah, not pluggable!

View attachment 975229

That happened to me once as well.. 10mm combo wrench.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
This is the correct way to fix a small puncture.

And here is the only issue with it...

You can't tell by the pic, but the head on that plug is almost 2 inches wide, and it MUST reside on the flat part of the inside of the tire to seal correctly (if it's on the curve, it won't stay).

This is why the rule is, the puncture must be at least an inch from the outside edge of the tire.

I've installed a ton of em. You have to have to the correct tools to do it! Lexus/Toyota had em all. BMW, yeah no, they would only sell you a new tire. Same with Rolls Royce and Bentley.
Yup... Thats what we used when I worked at Big Brand. If the puncture was in the outermost row of tread we wouldn't patch it. Insurance would not allow it. Either the tire manufacturer or the company's.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I plugged similar on a suv just to get to the tire shop. Like two years later it was still plugged. Worked fine. Tire shop liability and insurance policy won’t allow them to touch it. Hell they wouldn’t even mount my tires on my dually.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Plugging tires is for large holes only. And temporary sidewall repairs.
Why is it so dam popular with you guys?
why make a tiny hole larger?
You guys have heard of a patch correct?

I was a Store manager for Winston Tires at 19yrs old so what do I know.

wzuber

Reaction score

A plug is quick n ez. No tire/rim dis-mount required and holds sufficiently when done correctly. I didn't even remove wheel from vehicle.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I must be more redneck, I just keep switching out the drywall screws. Too busy to get it plugged... LOL. 10,000 miles later it doesn't even lose air.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

Winston's BK'd in 2002...
Lol, I remember them doing tire matching by grinding tires to make them have matching sidewall compression.