WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

This tire fixable?

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I must be more redneck, I just keep switching out the drywall screws. Too busy to get it plugged... LOL. 10,000 miles later it doesn't even lose air.
You must be using the plug kit glue😄

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I'd plug that in a second. If the puncture is through steel, I plug them.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Winston's BK'd in 2002...
Lol, I remember them doing tire matching by grinding tires to make them have matching sidewall compression.

Tirerack will do that for you today. Not for the compression aspect though...

Todays all wheel drive (computer controlled) vehicles have to have (more or less) the same tread depth at each tire for the computer to do it's job. Subaru is VERY particular about this!

A tire shop and the dealer both tried to sell my friend four new tires cause she had one tire that was not repairable. We got a shaved tire (to match the other three) from Tirerack. What a huge pain in the azz. :mad:

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Tirerack will do that for you today. Not for the compression aspect though...

Todays all wheel drive (computer controlled) vehicles have to have (more or less) the same tread depth at each tire for the computer to do it's job. Subaru is VERY particular about this!

A tire shop and the dealer both tried to sell my friend four new tires cause she had one tire that was not repairable. We got a shaved tire (to match the other three) from Tirerack. What a huge pain in the azz. :mad:

Nothing like buying a new tire and shaving half it life off. Winston shaved near the outermost tread to match the sidewall pressure. Understand the reasoning but it always bothered me to remove part of what was just paid for.😊
We had some early ABS systems on our BMWs that were overly sensitive to tire circumference. If one was slightly off it'd set off the anti-lock light.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Nothing like buying a new tire and shaving half it life off. Winston shaved near the outermost tread to match the sidewall pressure. Understand the reasoning but it always bothered me to remove part of what was just paid for.😊
We had some early ABS systems on our BMWs that were overly sensitive to tire circumference. If one was slightly off it'd set off the anti-lock light.

Yeah, no kidding. Subaru documents tread depth at every service. If they aren't within spec, they will void the warranty on all of the differentials.

Having it shaved to match was cheaper than four new tires and a voided Warranty.

Sucks.