WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

This Weather Sucks!!!

shunter2005

Reaction score
Damn!! Southeast Texas is under water again. This tropical depression, Imelda, is still drowning southeast Texas. Same as Allison in '01 and Harvey in '17. East and south of Houston has had as much as 23" in the last 36 hrs, with more to come today. Beaumont is flooding like hell. They are having to do emergency evacs in Winnie, TX (between Houston and Beaumont) like they did in Houston during Harvey. Now it's backing up and flooding the east side of Houston. IAH is completely closed and Hobby airport will probably follow suit. We have only had about 5" at our house (nw of Houston).

I would almost rather have a full blown hurricane than this crap. At least most hurricanes move thru and get out. This depression is just hovering and dumping a shit ton of rain.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
23 “ in 36 hrs !!! Better build a damn Arc. I can only imagine the damage that will cause

Reactions: DWC

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
We're on the south/southwest side of Houston. It's hanging over the northeast side. We caught the incoming eye and the clean side, with just rain for a couple days. Hoping like hell it doesn't turn and come back at us.

Very little wind with this one, but torrential rain is closing streets. Gonna be a lot of folks stuck in their cars as they are leaving "clean" areas and heading into flooding congested areas that are getting shut off by the rising waters.

28Eliminator

Reaction score
My kid called me a. Purple hours ago. He lives in Houston. Said streets are flooding, cars are floating ... said he was putting on his snorkel.. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SR

Cajun Member
Reaction score
I wish yall the best of luck, the flooding down here has been more and more frequent with these slow moving storms. I totally agree with the statement about hurricanes. Its a real pain in the ass dealing with flooded property/homes and everything that comes with it ! Lafayette has avoided this one but not by much. Good Luck and take care.

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
This was a ton of rain. Reports are saying more rain came down in the last 2 days than during Harvey. I worked from home yesterday and drove in this morning ... only to be told to head back home. Crazy amount of rain.

shunter2005

Reaction score
News just showed a rainfall map. Looked like the Lake Houston/Kingwood area had 30" and an unconfirmed report of 43" on I10 E between Houston and Beaumont. I just caught the end of the report, but I think he said that it is breaking apart a little. May be done by tomorrow. Will get a better idea with the 10pm weather.

mobldj

Reaction score
single wide trailers floatin everywhere.rednecks

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
This was a ton of rain. Reports are saying more rain came down in the last 2 days than during Harvey. I worked from home yesterday and drove in this morning ... only to be told to head back home. Crazy amount of rain.
Glad you had swimming lessons as a kid now, eh? Stay safe bro.
All y'all stay safe.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
The city of Houston just about floated away during Harvey. You would have thought that might have been an incentive to start building flood control infrastructure? NOPE!!! Not sure why people continue to live there, it will only get worse

farmo83

Reaction score
I live on the north west side and we were spared from about 98% of the rain. Until this morning I had maybe 1/2 an inch of rain all week. My wife had a small procedure done so I didn't go into work downtown today, if I had I would most likely be stuck there.

Whoever classifies floods sucks. This is our 5th 500 year flood in 4 years. 2 Memorial Day floods, Tax Day, Harvey, and now this.

Yes the cities infastructure isn't all that great. It's mostly natural bayous and creeks that just can't handle the additional load all the new developments are putting on them.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Damn!! Southeast Texas is under water again. This tropical depression, Imelda, is still drowning southeast Texas. Same as Allison in '01 and Harvey in '17. East and south of Houston has had as much as 23" in the last 36 hrs, with more to come today. Beaumont is flooding like hell. They are having to do emergency evacs in Winnie, TX (between Houston and Beaumont) like they did in Houston during Harvey. Now it's backing up and flooding the east side of Houston. IAH is completely closed and Hobby airport will probably follow suit. We have only had about 5" at our house (nw of Houston).

I would almost rather have a full blown hurricane than this crap. At least most hurricanes move thru and get out. This depression is just hovering and dumping a shit ton of rain.
May be time to head out here for a while lol.

shunter2005

Reaction score
Well, according to the local weather guy, this thing FINALLY is breaking up. Looks like only scattered rain through tomorrow. More next week, but nothing like what we have had. Beaumont had 41" of rain in the last 2 days. Homes that did not flood during Harvey are flooded tonight.

I keep my boat at Lake Conroe, about 45 mi. north of Houston and they had right at 12" last night and today. This depression passed thru or near Conroe and then made a 360* loop and came back for a second dose before breaking up. Lots of flooding there and high water rescues all over. For the life of me, I don't understand people just driving into high water in a freakin' Prius thinking they are gonna make it thru. Then they endanger others who have to come and get them. It takes a special kind of stupid... On a less somber note, I saw something that was a little humorous. A guy in a big lifted truck being pushed out of the water by a small SUV. That must have hurt his pride.

farmo83

Reaction score
Well, according to the local weather guy, this thing FINALLY is breaking up. Looks like only scattered rain through tomorrow. More next week, but nothing like what we have had. Beaumont had 41" of rain in the last 2 days. Homes that did not flood during Harvey are flooded tonight.

I keep my boat at Lake Conroe, about 45 mi. north of Houston and they had right at 12" last night and today. This depression passed thru or near Conroe and then made a 360* loop and came back for a second dose before breaking up. Lots of flooding there and high water rescues all over. For the life of me, I don't understand people just driving into high water in a freakin' Prius thinking they are gonna make it thru. Then they endanger others who have to come and get them. It takes a special kind of stupid... On a less somber note, I saw something that was a little humorous. A guy in a big lifted truck being pushed out of the water by a small SUV. That must have hurt his pride.

A guys caught this yesterday while stranded on 45 north of 610.

Attachments

• 70927311_1229615790559823_3558441028199383040_o.jpg
    70927311_1229615790559823_3558441028199383040_o.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 27

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
The city of Houston just about floated away during Harvey. You would have thought that might have been an incentive to start building flood control infrastructure? NOPE!!! Not sure why people continue to live there, it will only get worse
It's pretty hard to get 40"plus of rainfall in 48 hours to drain. And Houston is flat land. Imagine that much rain in hilly and mountainous areas.

Flood control infrastructure is very difficult due to the fact much of the runoff has to be sent directly through the downtown area of the city. The Brazos river on the west side and the San Jacinto on the east side with Buffalo Bayou in the middle cannot handle the volume required when the rain is directly over the metro area as this storm was.....

Imelda was a small storm that did not cover but a fraction of the area Harvey covered. Plus Harvey rained heavily up above Houston and the rivers draining central and north Texas brought it all down over a week plus period. Imelda was local so the flooding was brief in comparison. Total rainfall between Harvey and Imelda was 10's of times more in Harvey which hung around the state for a week.

Every place has issues with Mother Nature. Rainfall and wind events are what the Gulf Coast deals with. At least Imelda didn't have wind issues.

Right now the worry is High pressure over the southeast US and another system heading west from the Atlantic. The current setup would push that system right at Houston and south of here. We're keeping fingers crossed things will change by next week.