WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

#ThisDamnRV

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
This will be an updated thread as we document our repairs/upgrades to our new-to-us motorhome. It's been quite an adventure so far and I will post the events chronologically. We purchased the 2008 Fleetwood Revolution LE 42K in late March, so some of the videos are a couple of months old. Most have been posted on IG or FB if you follow Jeff or I on those platforms, so I apologize for the redundancy if that is the case.

Backstory: Jeff (Sportin' Wood) has been working remote since last March, like many folks. Teaching last year was a very stressful situation and really, everything I loved about teaching had been sucked away between masks, no touching, and social distancing. For 15 years, I've shaken every hand, or given high fives to every student, every day (unless I was sick). I also give lots of hugs. I pat kids on the shoulder. I put them in table groups, partners, we walk around the room and examine documents, create posters as a group, I pass around 3 inch Chinese shoes, Pinkerton badges, my WW1 & WW2 "Victory" collection, papyrus scrolls, etc. All of that was no longer allowed. :(

FFW to early December 2020. We were watching YouTube videos of full-time RVers who were working out of their motorhome/trailer/roof top tent/whatever. During one of these videos, I looked over at Jeff and said, "you know, we could do that." Which began a several week long conversation about the feasibility of it. So we began looking at RVs. We originally looked at 4WD Super C motorhomes, but we didn't love any of the floorplans. We started with the Dynomax and almost pulled the trigger, but there is a wait and the salesman tried to steer us to the Thor because they were in stock, but I didn't like the quality of the interior of the Thor, or the plastic basement storage. So we kept looking. A friend encouraged us to "just look" at the used Class A's. We never considered these because they are just so damned big. But we gave it a shot and lordy, you get a LOT of RV for the price. So we began seriously looking at them and found that the market was super hot and, much like the real estate market, you had to be ready to make an offer right now because several people were also making offers. We considered flying as far as Denver or Texas to pick one up, but were hesitant to put a deposit on something sight unseen. We really liked the Monacos (still do) and made an offer on one after the previous bidder couldn't get financed. For several reasons, the offer collapsed after almost a month. Ultimately, the dealer would not agree to produce a title until we wrote the check, so we walked.

About the time the other deal was falling apart, our friend who originally encouraged us to look into the Class A told us of a mutual "friend" who was selling his motorhome. Mind you, a 40' Monaco was already larger than we had planned as we began our journey looking at 30' Class C's. This motorhome was 43 feet of fun. :oops: It was located in Rancho Cucamonga, so Jeff drove down on a Saturday while I was in Idaho to go look at it. We looked up the NADA on it, and while it had some cosmetic issues like some dings in the exterior and some more in the cabinetry, it wasn't really clean, and some other little issues, it seemed like a very good deal. Our main concern was the engine. We made that clear to our "friend." He said the engine was great. "No problems."

So, we arranged to pick it up a couple of weeks later, he was going to have it cleaned and the oil changed for us. Great. We made a trip down, visited some family and picked it up on a Sunday around noon. When we got there, it was all open, slides were open, engine was running. He quickly showed us the ropes, and we knew there was a lot to learn, but we just needed to get it home and then we would figure it all out. So off we went.

I'll just cut to the chase and tell you that this coach did not make it to Reno. The check engine light came on going up Sherwin grade out of Bishop and the STOP engine light came on near the top of Conway summit north of Mono Lake. Thankfully, there was just a bit of shoulder to coast the pig into. We were stressed. I had been following in the truck. We considered having it towed. I suggested we just wait a little bit and try to start it. That worked, but we were both so stressed that we stopped at the KOA in Coleville for the night. We buy a couple of beers at the little store and go to set our RV up for the night. Now, this model has 3 slides. One for the kitchen, one for the bedroom, and one full-wall slide on the driver side. This one is the one that really makes the RV because it goes almost the whole length. It's 30' long. Well, this one doesn't go out. It was out when Jeff looked at it the first time, and it was out when we picked it up, and the owner closed it before we left, obviously. But now, it doesn't work. So, the engine has major issues and the full slide doesn't work. Of course, the previous owner has no idea what could be wrong. 😱

The next morning, we limp it home, with alternating black and white smoke puffing out the tail pipe. The whole back is black with exhaust smoke. We have it home for less than a week before it gets taken to the Cummins repair in Reno. I can't tell you everything that was wrong, but I can tell you that it took 9 weeks and $20K to fix. During this time, we are trying to get our house ready to list, but we can't list it until we know what the motorhome is going to cost and when it will be done. We still have a ton of cosmetic stuff to do and the slide needs to be repaired. Oh, did I mention the awning didn't work either? So, lots of stuff. Our good deal is not looking so good. But, we are still way under the NADA value, and we can afford to fix it. It's just really the time issue and we weren't expecting to shell out $20K on the motor.

Finally, it's ready to pick up, we've been on forums trying to figure out the slide, I have an appointment to take it to a repair place as we have given up. We list the house, it sells in 4 days above asking price, and we asked for about $25K more than we thought we would get. (This makes the $20K engine work less painful) Our granddaughter's 1st birthday is July 12, so we are really trying to get to Montana with our new home before that date.

Picking up the coach from Cummins :)

The repair place informs us that the control board for the slide is bad, but that it had been messed with considerably. It is obvious that the previous owner tried to fix it (I forgot to mention that he is supposedly an electrical contractor). The connections had been taped with electrical tape. The repair place orders a new panel, and cleans up the wiring to all 4 slide motors, but with our time crunch, we need the panel by the date escrow closes (June 25). They do not expedite the panel as we requested, so the panel arrives on June 29. We are already in Idaho, trying to beat our moving trailers to our storage facility, which are due on June 30. So, they mail this panel to my mom's in Idaho. We figure someone up here can install it and program it.

ready to tell everyone what we are up to

Turns out we decide to move on what ends up being one of the hottest weeks of the summer. Fabulous. Thank goodness for our amazing son who gave up two whole weekends to help his parents. We couldn't even hire anyone it was so hot. No one would help :(

But, by the 25th, we were packed up and loaded.

We are excited to begin our new life on the road!

Forgot to mention this little tidbit

One more, then I will quit for the night

That was a very rough day.

To be continued . . . .

Attachments

• 8808789C-9BCD-4A99-AD35-82D3B109533E.mov
    37.4 MB
  • 5857193F-3DD7-48C6-929E-1FC4445E7841.mp4
    8.8 MB
Last edited:

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Feel free to add your own #thisdamnRV story to this thread. We can all partake in the joys of owning recreational vehicles. LOL

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
This is the "clean" RV. LOL Just one small example. I spent the whole day today shampooing the carpet. I cleaned these the first week we got it home from Cummins

repair.
8493890E-2B91-475D-87B4-4C735D6C75CA.jpeg
EC5BB51B-90A2-4CAF-9FFB-B9F8B6D8D3D9.jpeg
5C2D53CF-8515-44A9-9BDA-49AEB89B287E.jpeg
3FA86EB3-B71C-4617-BC6A-A6EFEF7F4B34.jpeg
CDD1EF14-6047-467C-AC17-F54035DCDBD8.jpeg
48E3229F-FDEE-4824-82E9-3B38E9EB58DD.jpeg
B61E59C7-3F53-4A02-B363-4B5E21E4F6FF.jpeg
FAD7BB1E-F700-4CD8-8489-CF692A17A0E7.jpeg

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Keep writing it up Angie. I am enjoying reading it. I have had issues along the way but never anything dramatic like what you guys are dealing with.

this was a friend you bought this from? If so….ugggghhhh.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Cool thread!

Curious what happened with the motor? I also have a 2009 Fleetwood with a Cummins and had some issues with it while we were out traveling that sounds very similar to what you are experiencing. It ended up being the turbo- the veins in the turbo somehow had rust in them which prevented the turbo to open and close properly so it wasnt making any power and the check engine/STOP light came on and the motorhome wouldnt move. I had it towed to a Cummins Dealer local to me. The repair facility wanted to only replace the turbo with a new factory Cummins unit which was a small fortune. I found a turbo repair facility close to home and they were able to rebuild the turbo and provided a 1 year warranty for a fraction of the price of a new one. Its been about 4 years and knock on wood we haven had any issues.

Hopefully you get your motor issues figured out.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Cool thread!

Curious what happened with the motor? I also have a 2009 Fleetwood with a Cummins and had some issues with it while we were out traveling that sounds very similar to what you are experiencing. It ended up being the turbo- the veins in the turbo somehow had rust in them which prevented the turbo to open and close properly so it wasnt making any power and the check engine/STOP light came on and the motorhome wouldnt move. I had it towed to a Cummins Dealer local to me. The repair facility wanted to only replace the turbo with a new factory Cummins unit which was a small fortune. I found a turbo repair facility close to home and they were able to rebuild the turbo and provided a 1 year warranty for a fraction of the price of a new one. Its been about 4 years and knock on wood we haven had any issues.

Jeff will chime in at some point, I'm sure. There was an exhaust leak that took out the turbo. Oil cooler and all the usual suspects that go along with that. Something else internally in the engine. Oil pan was dented and needed to be replaced. DP filter was clogged, of course. Lots and lots of things.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
I know Angie.....It was a cheap shot :)

I'm on my own. They were laughing at me last spring during testing when I didn't know how to shut off my phone and they had to show me. Then they had to show me how to turn it on, LOL.
Them: "You never turn your phone off??"
Me: "NO! Why would I turn it off?" 🤣

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I'm on my own. They were laughing at me last spring during testing when I didn't know how to shut off my phone and they had to show me. Then they had to show me how to turn it on, LOL.
Them: "You never turn your phone off??"
Me: "NO! Why would I turn it off?" 🤣

haha

For the record I have issues with the videos also. You aren't alone.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Cool thread!

Jeff Here, Too lazy to log Angie out. Motor is a DPF 400HP ISL Red Motor. Previous owner claims it is a 450HP, but I have no way to say one way or the other. No DEF required, we wanted a pre DPF motor, but with the wrist pin issues of select 2006-2007 ISL motors it limits your chassis choices.

As Angie said, a few things drove up the cost, but the root problem was the turbo and related exhaust issues. The turbo was shot, the exhaust manifold was warped and leaking bad. EGR cooler was bad, DPF was clogged. In addition the valves needed adjustment and the elephant foot on a couple valves broken. While it was in the shop they addressed oil leaks and other smaller items. two months later we headed North.

The trip north did not go well. Check engine and stop engine lights came on again in the middle of nowhere Oregon. By that point I was so pissed off we just drove the crap out of it and hoped for the best. It took another month to get an appointment at the Spokane Cummins dealer, but they tackled it in two weeks.

Many of the items that Reno Cummins repaired had to be redone. The DPF was still clogged and had to be replaced, the valves had not been adjusted properly. The second trip issue was exhaust flow problems and the turbo getting pissed. It did throw an electrical code for the turbo, that Cummins has not solved, so that still may be lurking. Spokane Cummins did inspect the bottom end and reported it looked fine, so hopefully no other looming issues save for maybe injectors. Spokane, Cummins was pretty good, Reno, Cummins, not so much.

If any of you followed our #ThisDamnHouse remodel you will know we have a habit of finding projects bigger than we expect. I can't do shitty work, so I make a lot of my own problems and we often spend a bit more on things to make them right. (as right as possible) This RV has plenty of issues to keep me busy. That being said, I like the floor plan and hopefully we can have some fun with it. The price point was perhaps too good to be true, which explains why we have so much to fix. It was not the deal we thought we were getting.

I m not sure if I will ever get over the size while diving. It is big. narrow roads are not fun. It is easy to get yourself stuck and really screw up traffic. But since I am working 9-10 hours a day in it I appreciate the full size desk. Hills pretty much suck. I wonder if it will climb them on the grade up and if it will stop on the down grade.

Hope you get a laugh out of some of our repairs.

Jeff

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Damn Jeff......Like your attitude with it all though. Hopefully we can meet up on the road some day. I am now heading to FL and am currently in IA

Stay safe

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Oh! I forgot to mention our first day on the road! This is pretty typical of this coach. For example, it has a central vac system. I asked our "friend" the seller if it worked. "Yes! Works great!" and he proceeds to show me quickly how it works. When I go to vacuum, I realize the vacuum hose is torn and has been taped with electrical tape. But when I stretch it out to the back bathroom or front, it leaks terribly and doesn't work. So I have to buy a new hose. It's $25. Why didn't he just buy a hose??? :rolleyes:

Anyway, when we pull out of the Reno yard, we stop by the fuel station and fill it up, dump the tanks, fill up propane to head down the road. Jeff tells me to open the dump valve slowly in case there is a problem. I'm very glad I did because guess what? The dump hose has a leak. Are you f*cking kidding me? Seriously? You can't replace the dump hose?? So we are just careful with the dump and continue (we replaced it right away when we got to our destination). There wasn't much in it and it worked out.

Finally, we are on the road. We stop in Fernley to get the coach washed.

Here's how that worked out.

grumpy88

Reaction score
I have to ask , what did you pay for this thing ! Sucks the giy lied about everything ! I hope you get it all sorted out .

Reactions: DWC

azsunfun

Reaction score
We are registered to vote in Montana, have Montana DLs and phone #s.
is that where the rv crapped out and your stuck😂 son inlaw and daughter just got one hope all goes well with them, and your mobile house becomes complete and problem free

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
I have to ask , what did you pay for this thing ! Sucks the giy lied about everything ! I hope you get it all sorted out .

We paid $80K. With all of the RV craziness, right now, they are selling on average between $130-$160. Even with all the repairs, we still think we did okay. We just wish we would have had more of an idea of all that was wrong with it before getting into it. The main thing was the engine. We knew we would have some engine work no matter what we purchased, but we did not expect it to be such a hit, especially with the time required to fix it.

Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 3.01.44 PM.png

Meaney77

Reaction score
Jeff Here, Too lazy to log Angie out. Motor is a DPF 400HP ISL Red Motor. Previous owner claims it is a 450HP, but I have no way to say one way or the other. No DEF required, we wanted a pre DPF motor, but with the wrist pin issues of select 2006-2007 ISL motors it limits your chassis choices.

As Angie said, a few things drove up the cost, but the root problem was the turbo and related exhaust issues. The turbo was shot, the exhaust manifold was warped and leaking bad. EGR cooler was bad, DPF was clogged. In addition the valves needed adjustment and the elephant foot on a couple valves broken. While it was in the shop they addressed oil leaks and other smaller items. two months later we headed North.

The trip north did not go well. Check engine and stop engine lights came on again in the middle of nowhere Oregon. By that point I was so pissed off we just drove the crap out of it and hoped for the best. It took another month to get an appointment at the Spokane Cummins dealer, but they tackled it in two weeks.

Many of the items that Reno Cummins repaired had to be redone. The DPF was still clogged and had to be replaced, the valves had not been adjusted properly. The second trip issue was exhaust flow problems and the turbo getting pissed. It did throw an electrical code for the turbo, that Cummins has not solved, so that still may be lurking. Spokane Cummins did inspect the bottom end and reported it looked fine, so hopefully no other looming issues save for maybe injectors. Spokane, Cummins was pretty good, Reno, Cummins, not so much.

If any of you followed our #ThisDamnHouse remodel you will know we have a habit of finding projects bigger than we expect. I can't do shitty work, so I make a lot of my own problems and we often spend a bit more on things to make them right. (as right as possible) This RV has plenty of issues to keep me busy. That being said, I like the floor plan and hopefully we can have some fun with it. The price point was perhaps too good to be true, which explains why we have so much to fix. It was not the deal we thought we were getting.

I m not sure if I will ever get over the size while diving. It is big. narrow roads are not fun. It is easy to get yourself stuck and really screw up traffic. But since I am working 9-10 hours a day in it I appreciate the full size desk. Hills pretty much suck. I wonder if it will climb them on the grade up and if it will stop on the down grade.

Hope you get a laugh out of some of our repairs.

Jeff
Thats a bummer to hear, hopefully you get the mechanical issues resolved. Those Cummins motors are supposed to be problem free and bullet proof, hopefully this is all of the issues you have to deal with.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Damn Jeff......Like your attitude with it all though. Hopefully we can meet up on the road some day. I am now heading to FL and am currently in IA

Stay safe
Things could be a lot worse, Tom. We can bail out of the #RVLife pretty quick if we want, this is a testdrive to see if we enjoy it and help us plan for retirement. We are not committed to living in an RV indefinitely, living in any specific location, or trapped in anyway. I have made more expensive mistakes in my lifetime. Pretty hard to top some 2005-2007 decisions. LOL

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Things could be a lot worse, Tom. We can bail out of the #RVLife pretty quick if we want, this is a testdrive to see if we enjoy it and help us plan for retirement. We are not committed to living in an RV indefinitely, living in any specific location, or trapped in anyway. I have made more expensive mistakes in my lifetime. Pretty hard to top some 2005-2007 decisions. LOL

haha.....I hear ya. When I am tired of the road I will buy a place somewhere. Have no idea where though but keep my eyes open at all stops.

You still have your Harley?

grumpy88

Reaction score
We paid $80K. With all of the RV craziness, right now, they are selling on average between $130-$160. Even with all the repairs, we still think we did okay. We just wish we would have had more of an idea of all that was wrong with it before getting into it. The main thing was the engine. We knew we would have some engine work no matter what we purchased, but we did not expect it to be such a hit, especially with the time required to fix it.

View attachment 1044621
Well it still sounds like the seller was a jerk for not disclosing all the stuff he truly knew about . The motor problems are b.s. . That is a major expense ! At 50k under market value the shitter hose or the dirty vents, i wouldnt sweat the small stuff . I really hope you guys get it turned around and really start to feel comfortable with it .

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
haha.....I hear ya. When I am tired of the road I will buy a place somewhere. Have no idea where though but keep my eyes open at all stops.

You still have your Harley?
Busted my ankle a few years ago, it was sitting in the garage and started to look like $10K in cash, so I sold it. We went pretty balls deep on the #ThisDamnHouse remodel around that time. It paid off in the end. We figured if we wanted another one there are plenty to choose from.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
During the first week of RV living, we weren't able to plug in at my parent's house in the Idaho Panhandle until Jeff and my dad make the electrical updates to his shop. In the meantime, we figured the house batteries, solar panels and inverter would do the job. #thisdamnrv said "HA!"

We were fairly careful with the lights and such because we were not on shore power. Because it was so hot, we ran the back fantastic fan at night. In the morning, the fridge was coding that the batteries were low. Mind you, we were using the LP for the fridge because we have found that it stays cooler than it does with AC power. We figure the fan all night was just too much.

So we become more cautious with the lights in the evening. Because Jeff is working and we need power during the day, and it's 105° during the day, we run the genset and a/c during the day (only the front two a/cs work, btw, the bedroom one does not, we suspect it's the fan because we can hear the compressor kick on, but that's a later story). So, we are running the generator all day, the solar appears to be charging correctly, and we are careful with the lights in the evening. We leave nothing on at night. Only the small lights that stay on all night, like the CO detector and such, are on. In the morning, without fail, the house batteries are dead. The fridge, which is using propane, is killing them.

BTW, the first thing we did was change out all of the lights to LEDs. We have a few that are on dimmers that we can't change out, but we rarely use them.

These batteries are just not holding a charge. It's ridiculous. They are dated 2020. So Jeff checks the connections. Two were not even tightened. He pulled the connection clean off without loosening it. Okay. Problem solved? No. They are Optima batteries, I'm not sure the exact type, but Jeff would be able to tell you. Anyway, we go back and forth on whether or not to get the Battleborn Lithium batteries and if we had still been in Reno probably would have. They are pricey, but seem to be the best choice for the application. In the end, we decide to go with Costco batteries for now. Oh, I forgot to mention, the Optimas that the previous owner had installed were automobile batteries, not RV batteries. 🤣

Of course, we made a video :)

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
During the first week of RV living, we weren't able to plug in at my parent's house in the Idaho Panhandle until Jeff and my dad make the electrical updates to his shop. In the meantime, we figured the house batteries, solar panels and inverter would do the job. #thisdamnrv said "HA!"

We were fairly careful with the lights and such because we were not on shore power. Because it was so hot, we ran the back fantastic fan at night. In the morning, the fridge was coding that the batteries were low. Mind you, we were using the LP for the fridge because we have found that it stays cooler than it does with AC power. We figure the fan all night was just too much.

So we become more cautious with the lights in the evening. Because Jeff is working and we need power during the day, and it's 105° during the day, we run the genset and a/c during the day (only the front two a/cs work, btw, the bedroom one does not, we suspect it's the fan because we can hear the compressor kick on, but that's a later story). So, we are running the generator all day, the solar appears to be charging correctly, and we are careful with the lights in the evening. We leave nothing on at night. Only the small lights that stay on all night, like the CO detector and such, are on. In the morning, without fail, the house batteries are dead. The fridge, which is using propane, is killing them.

BTW, the first thing we did was change out all of the lights to LEDs. We have a few that are on dimmers that we can't change out, but we rarely use them.

These batteries are just not holding a charge. It's ridiculous. They are dated 2020. So Jeff checks the connections. Two were not even tightened. He pulled the connection clean off without loosening it. Okay. Problem solved? No. They are Optima batteries, I'm not sure the exact type, but Jeff would be able to tell you. Anyway, we go back and forth on whether or not to get the Battleborn Lithium batteries and if we had still been in Reno probably would have. They are pricey, but seem to be the best choice for the application. In the end, we decide to go with Costco batteries for now. Oh, I forgot to mention, the Optimas that the previous owner had installed were automobile batteries, not RV batteries. 🤣

I have 5 of the 100AH BattleBorns.....The ones you got from Costco will get it done for now but long term I would get those BB's. A big advantage of using the lithium is they can draw all the way down to zero and be recharged. If I am off grid I do switch the fridge to propane at night. During the day I produce enough solar to top off all the BBs to 100% and run the generator if I ever need to for multiple ACs and such.

Always something isn't it? lol

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Crazy story. Aren't RV's fun? There is Always something wrong with my toy hauler! 😝

Good luck with your adventures. 👍

DILLIGAF

Reaction score

OK,,,,First off you guys are getting way too professional on your videos.....Its making me look bad....lol

You guys are basically making maintenance videos with Jeff doing a lot of the work.

I think your attitudes remain very patient and calm....I would have been punching the DAMNRV by now....haha

Alwayss check the simple things first which Jeff knows this.

So.....how are you getting the slide back in now?

Enjoying the info-videos

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
OK,,,,First off you guys are getting way too professional on your videos.....Its making me look bad....lol

You guys are basically making maintenance videos with Jeff doing a lot of the work.

I think your attitudes remain very patient and calm....I would have been punching the DAMNRV by now....haha

Alwayss check the simple things first which Jeff knows this.

So.....how are you getting the slide back in now?

Enjoying the info-videos
I fixed the slide. Took a pile of work. I will make a video, but that one is going to take some effort and might be multi episodes.

The slide had a few different issues and needs its own post, because I suspect slides are a common problem.

Tom, I am doing a pretty half ass job on the videos IMHO, because I don't want to invest the time. I just do everything pretty quick on the iPhone. It's fairly easy. I lead a team of marketing pros in the US, Canada and the EU, so after hours I don't really want to screw with more marketing type stuff.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score

In addition to your batteries, take a volt meter and check the output on your converter/inverter deal. Check it with the coach running, and separately with the genset running. I've replaced two of those this year on people's coaches due to low output not charging the coach batteries.

As for engine related stuff...it sucks. There may or may not be available pirate "Cummins Insight" software that may or may not be available on say, Craigslist?
Just like your typical auto obdII scanners, it let's you see exactly what's going on. In your case, if the vgt setup on the turbo is working properly, or the condition of your dpf. Just last week I was working on a giant red ISL that had a broken egr tube...not a fan of modern diesels!

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
I edited most of backlog on video content yesterday while enjoying the better part of a 12 pack of banquet beer. Angie should have more to share later this week. Two more issues popped up in the last two days. Still having a bit of engine trouble. The Exhaust brake is not working right, I suspect we still have an issue with the exhaust system as a result. I wish I could hand this over to Gale Banks and have them perform some magic. Second is that one of our jacks is leaking like an axe wound. Going to see if we can retract it this morning before all the fluid runs out. Made a hell of a mess.

Spent a half hour looking at the RV classifieds this morning and realized we might be jumping out of a frying pan and into a fire if we trade out for another unit. Maybe the devil we know is better?

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Aggggghhhhhhh

sorry to hear the continued issues

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I edited most of backlog on video content yesterday while enjoying the better part of a 12 pack of banquet beer. Angie should have more to share later this week. Two more issues popped up in the last two days. Still having a bit of engine trouble. The Exhaust brake is not working right, I suspect we still have an issue with the exhaust system as a result. I wish I could hand this over to Gale Banks and have them perform some magic. Second is that one of our jacks is leaking like an axe wound. Going to see if we can retract it this morning before all the fluid runs out. Made a hell of a mess.

Spent a half hour looking at the RV classifieds this morning and realized we might be jumping out of a frying pan and into a fire if we trade out for another unit. Maybe the devil we know is better?
With the exhaust issue and the exhaust brake, probably tied into the variable geometry turbo assemble sticking again. Kind of a pain in the ass, but when the coach is up to temp, try spraying some Sea Foam into the intake tract. I've had some luck with that on the smaller Cummins, from pickups to Freightliner box trucks. I think it has to do with carbon build up. Also, maybe before that, check the connections and dielectric grease the plugs on both the turbo and the throttle body.

The jacks...new seals aren't bad to do, but a vice would be real handy. If it's a hose...they suck. Hopefully it's just a bad o-ring in a fitting or union.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I don't know if you know this... if you do great, if not,... here goes.... what kills the batterys is the charge rate,... gel and lithium charge at a way lower amp charge.... in fact , most agm manufactures will void waranty because the high amp charge of the rv alt,..

also... gotta love that spartan chassis....

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
This means that a 400 Ah battery bank and a connected load of ten amperes requires a battery charger capacity of between 70 and 90 amperes in order to charge the battery in a reasonable time. The maximum charging current is 50 % for a gel battery, and 30 % for an AGM battery.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
another thing, if you installed the solar, you know this, but if not and the prev. owner did, you need to check... the solar charge controller,.. it has different settings for different battery's,... with a solar system you can't just change battery types with out changing the controller settings..

I have found that people change out wet cell battery's for agms and lithium, then fight with the battery store over dead batterys,... gel and lithium will need a charge converter to proper charge the batterys..

and also, the rv alt will put out way to many amps...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Battery Specifications
12V 200AH Deep Cycle Hybrid GEL Battery

• Rated Capacity: 200Ah@20hr-rate to 10.8V @ 25℃ / 77℉
  • Reference Capacity: C3: 148.5Ah/C5: 167.0Ah/C10: 190.0Ah/C20: 200.0Ah
  • Float Charging Voltage: 13.6V~13.8V 77℉ -Temperature Compensation: -18mV/℃
  • Cycle Use Voltage: 14.2V~14.4V 77℉ -Temperature Compensation: -24mV/℃
  • Equalization Voltage: 14.2V 77℉
  • Max Discharge Current: 2000A (5 seconds)
  • Max Charge Current: 60A
  • Operating Temperature Range: Discharge: -4℉~140℉/ Charge: 32℉~122℉
  • Storage Temperature Range: -4℉~140℉
  • Self Discharge Rate: ≤3% per month at 77℉
look at max charge current...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

put some marvel mystery oil in the oil tank for the jacks.....at my muffler shop, the lifts go up and down like whores panty's , used to have the repair guy changing seals all the time on the rams,.. since using marvel, he hasn't been back for years...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
This is the "clean" RV. LOL Just one small example. I spent the whole day today shampooing the carpet. I cleaned these the first week we got it home from Cummins

repair. View attachment 1044105 View attachment 1044106 View attachment 1044107 View attachment 1044108 View attachment 1044109 View attachment 1044110 View attachment 1044111 View attachment 1044112
next time you have that ac cover off,.. look and see how they mated the duct work to the ac.... every one I've looked at the ducts leak every where and loose cooling...also there's a divider that separates cool air from return,.. make sure its in the right spot and seals good...

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
put some marvel mystery oil in the oil tank for the jacks.....at my muffler shop, the lifts go up and down like whores panty's , used to have the repair guy changing seals all the time on the rams,.. since using marvel, he hasn't been back for years...

Steve…That sounds like a good idea to do this preventively? Where do you get that at and how much gets added…roughly

Reactions: DWC

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Steve…That sounds like a good idea to do this preventively? Where do you get that at and how much gets added…roughly
walmart, or auto parts.. half a quart in a good system keeps them clean and keeps the seals working... on one thats leaking, I would just fill up whats missing ,... some times on older systems the seals get dry and hard,.. and when you lift on dirt it lets the ram go a little to one side.. that when she squirts.... the fix,.. or cheep try is to put the marvel in and park on cement level pad. run the jack up and down a few time to get it good and centered and the marvel will do the rest...

OH, and hows it going Tom, hope all is well, if you come to havasu I have a 50 amp plug in spot for you,.. and some cold beers...

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
The Sportin Woods. King and Queen of the battle no matter what it is.

Very much reading and noting the data you guys provide. Couple years ago I bought a truck at Dave Smith in Kellogg. The airport pick up ride from Spokane to the dealer was nothing but beauty. The drive back to so cal, stayed in Missoula, down into Orem to see friends...I get it. Thats about as good as it gets as far as your eyes explain it anyway.

Ol Man

Reaction score
Jeff, as a motorcycle guy, have you tried cleaning the arms like you would your fork seals? I have been lucky that in 20 years I have never had a hydraulic jack leak.....knock on my noggin.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
walmart, or auto parts.. half a quart in a good system keeps them clean and keeps the seals working... on one thats leaking, I would just fill up whats missing ,... some times on older systems the seals get dry and hard,.. and when you lift on dirt it lets the ram go a little to one side.. that when she squirts.... the fix,.. or cheep try is to put the marvel in and park on cement level pad. run the jack up and down a few time to get it good and centered and the marvel will do the rest...

OH, and hows it going Tom, hope all is well, if you come to havasu I have a 50 amp plug in spot for you,.. and some cold beers...

thanks Steve. I am going to do that.

Doing well continuing across the beautiful USA.

hell ya on the LHC deal if I get that way.

hope all is well on your end as well.

DLC

Reaction score
Sounds like your have a fun time dialing in the new to you rig!

you might want to have an inspection of the rig to make sure all systems are working correctly. Roof is sealed, hot water and heaters all work ( they might need to be flushed out Cleaned,
Did you figure out what’s wrong with the 3rd AC unit?

get the gen set serviced and check your tires they might be old…ok your tires will be old! Replace the frts….

talk about a snow ball !

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
AE293EF0-FD4D-4ECD-AD1D-6D547B66A7E1.jpeg
2B8DC73A-057E-4B8D-937C-5F14852E82BC.jpeg

This is no rinse evaporator coil cleaner. Self-rinsing flushes out the drain with condensate. Just spray it on and forget.
PM a Mailing address and we’ll send you a free can.

Ya remove the AC inlet grill/filter media and spray it on the coil(s).
A lot of grime can make it through and deposit on the coil especially if the filters are plugged and poorly maintained.

Last edited:

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Sounds like your have a fun time dialing in the new to you rig!

you might want to have an inspection of the rig to make sure all systems are working correctly. Roof is sealed, hot water and heaters all work ( they might need to be flushed out Cleaned,
Did you figure out what’s wrong with the 3rd AC unit?

get the gen set serviced and check your tires they might be old…ok your tires will be old! Replace the frts….

talk about a snow ball !

Got fresh tires 2 weeks ago, all the way around. :)

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
We tried the Marvel Mystery Oil, Steve. Standby for updates ;)